Genesect

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Genesect: The most overhyped pokemon since Porygon-Z.

Now, only Scarf Genesect, all other versions kick ass.

Actually, I have found that Dragonite is OHKO'd by Ice Beam with the Download boost, regardless of Multiscale. So it can revenge it.
Not true all the time. A plus 1 SpAtk genesct will do 87-102%, with multiscale intact on offensive dragonite sets.

As for bulkynites, they will receive 76-89%. Again muticale intact.

And mutiscale abuse will always be a two hit ko with ice beam. Muticale intact or not.

I would have to say that running hazards along with genesect is practically a given - hazard support weakens a lot of the threats that Genesect might have trouble taking out otherwise, and turns 2HKO's into OHKO's. Obviously, Ferrothorn and Forretress are poor teammates due to their shared 4x fire weaknesses, but Deoxys-D works just fine...

The scarfed set is easily scouted out by Protect users. Biggest one being Heatran, Gliscor can protect on a U-Turn and set up a Sub threatening incoming Pokemon. It does do incredibly well forcing switches, though it can't even trap lati twins, so switching to a resistance rather easily.

What about a sub + 3 attacks set like this:

Genesect
Expert Belt
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

Come in on something that you can scare out, and put up a sub. Then predict accordingly. Would be a nice surprise factor with people thinking a scarfer or life orb set Genesect.

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Expert belt is useless there. It's for surprise value when your opponent doesn't know you can switch moves, for example after you kill a ferrothorn with flamethrower and they go to dragonite to set up, smack 'em with an ice beam. But if you throw out sub, they know you can switch already. Sub+3 attacks could work, but starves it for coverage so bad. It needs leftovers or life orb, though.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Expert belt is useless there. It's for surprise value when your opponent doesn't know you can switch moves, for example after you kill a ferrothorn with flamethrower and they go to dragonite to set up, smack 'em with an ice beam. But if you throw out sub, they know you can switch already. Sub+3 attacks could work, but starves it for coverage so bad. It needs leftovers or life orb, though.
Actually i think that Exper Belt is quite the useful item for a pokemon with such excellent coverage as Genesect, especially if you consider that it works as an excellent lure because Genesects most common set is the scarf set. Life Orb would cut down Genesects life span when coupled with Sub (though not that dramatically considering it is SR neutral and immune to Sand) and Leftovers give away that you are not scarfed very fast and are really not that useful for such an offensive Pokemon.

Actually i think that Exper Belt is quite the useful item for a pokemon with such excellent coverage as Genesect, especially if you consider that it works as an excellent lure because Genesects most common set is the scarf set. Life Orb would cut down Genesects life span when coupled with Sub (though not that dramatically considering it is SR neutral and immune to Sand) and Leftovers give away that you are not scarfed very fast and are really not that useful for such an offensive Pokemon.
Not being scarfed leaves you open to Timid Volcarona, which can take anything from Genesect and begin Quiver Dance if given the chance. Offensive Ninetales,non-scarfed Victini,and Jolly Salamence are among the few Pokemon that can get the drop on it without a scarf. Imo it absolutely needs a scarf to take full advantage of it's great coverage and ability.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Not being scarfed leaves you open to Timid Volcarona, which can take anything from Genesect and begin Quiver Dance if given the chance. Offensive Ninetales,non-scarfed Victini,and Jolly Salamence are among the few Pokemon that can get the drop on it without a scarf. Imo it absolutely needs a scarf to take full advantage of it's great coverage and ability.
Of course you outspeed a lot more with a choice scarf, but the point of such a set isn't to revenge kill pokemon or sweep a team clean, but to take advantage of your opponent thinking that you are scarfed and likely locked into a move to get a surprise kill or a free susbtitute.

Of course you outspeed a lot more with a choice scarf, but the point of such a set isn't to revenge kill pokemon or sweep a team clean, but to take advantage of your opponent thinking that you are scarfed and likely locked into a move to get a surprise kill or a free susbtitute.
Very true, but with any possible expert belted Pokemon most players will scout it out first before staying in on a hit. It is solely the players choice what set to run, as well as team needs. I wouldn't run myself tho lol

GatoDelFuego

Expert belt is genesect's best item, It's what I use all the time. However, on a substitute set, the opponent knows you can switch moves when you put up sub, so having leftovers doesn't hurt you in any way.

Rock polish genesect could really fit on sun teams, because its main counter (heatran) is beaten by dugtrio, who sun teams carry and it gets a boosted flamehrower. I also like life orb genesect with thunder, ice beam, bug buzz, and u turn in rain because it is so hard to wall (and even if something like heatran comes in it can just u turn out and the team keeps going)

Rock polish genesect could really fit on sun teams, because its main counter (heatran) is beaten by dugtrio, who sun teams carry and it gets a boosted flamehrower. I also like life orb genesect with thunder, ice beam, bug buzz, and u turn in rain
The problem is finding a slot for it on your team. There's a hoard of sun abusers to use, and you need to fit counters in too, such as insurance against other weathers.

Genesect's going to give no help to others weather outside of an Ice beam to possible grass type chlorophyll users, and a Hidden power, of which many other pokes can use also. It's going to be running scared of anything carrying HP fire at all, the sun boost guarantee's KO's from even the most unlikely suspects.

Ice beam can be useful to take on therians mind.

Anyone else think a Sub and possibly a Rock polish set would suffer from fourth move syndrome, losing out on its coverage seems like a downfall.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Genesect is probably one of the better Expert Belt users to use in OU. One thing I don't liked about Expert Belt Landorus is that while he does bluff a Choice set pretty well, I found his super effective coverage lacking. Genesect, on the other hand, has fantastic super effective coverage. The only thing he has is 4MSS, seriously. Its most common set is a Scarfer, he can use U-turn to scout potential counters, while he has like the most amazing coverage moves you can ask for. Basically, pick 4 of U-turn / Flamethrower / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ground / Flash Cannon / Bug Buzz and you're set.

Currently playtesting choice band to see if it actually works well...I have to say a download boosted CB STAB U-Turn hits like a mac truck...it's kind of hilarious having your opponent expect to be dented by a U-Turn only to be OHKO'd or at the very least severely weakened.

Currently playtesting choice band to see if it actually works well...I have to say a download boosted CB STAB U-Turn hits like a mac truck...it's kind of hilarious having your opponent expect to be dented by a U-Turn only to be OHKO'd or at the very least severely weakened.
That would put a huge dent on unaware Blissey lol. Every other common switch in still resists it or 4x resists. Seem gimmicky

Any current HO team without Genesect is severely flawed. It's way too good not to use. Why would you ever use a different scarfer?

You know, with U-Turn being as important as it is, I wonder if there might be merits in running Attack EVs on Scarf Genesect. Hard to say how much would be worth it, though.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
You know, with U-Turn being as important as it is, I wonder if there might be merits in running Attack EVs on Scarf Genesect. Hard to say how much would be worth it, though.
imo always run at least 40 atk evs on genesect, gives you enough power to ohko latios and such with the atk boost and is just all around good...besides you don't need 252 spa to ohko a scizor with flamethrower or a mence with ice beam. since i find myself using u-turn more than 50% of the time with genesect, the ev investment is definitely worth it.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I always run 64 atk EVs myself, though I can't remember exactly why :)

Also how are you guys using Sash Genesect, it never seems to pan out for me. I always end up wishing I had Scarf Genesect instead :( I see the merits and I want it to work; it just hasn't lived up to the hype(the sash set).

Genesect is now that one pokemon everyteam has to prepare for
I don't know if this is just dumb luck or just the people i'm facing on p/s but i found this to work against genesect

Milotic @ leftovers
Marvel Scale
Nature : Calm
EV: 252Hp/4Spec Atk/252Spec Def/

-Hidden power fire
-Recover
-Protect/Ice Beam
-Scald

252SpAtk +1 Genesect (+SAtk) Bug Buzz vs 252HP/252SpDef Leftovers Marvel Scale Milotic (+SpDef): 36% - 42% (142 - 168 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO.

4SpAtk Milotic (Neutral) Hidden Power (Fire) vs 0HP/0SpDef Genesect (Neutral): 74% - 89% (212 - 252 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Use protect to scout for Tbolt and switch accordingly other than that you should be set to take it out

Are you including Marvel Scale in your calcs? Because you must be statused for it to take effect, which is why many Milotic run resttalk.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
SpecsX, Marvel Scale only affects physical defense, not special, if I recall correctly. So, Marvel Scale won't affect the Bug Buzz calc regardless of whether or not it's active.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)