Gengar (Update [Done])

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Adding another slash would be fine (it's Gengar, he's THAT versatile and everyone should know it). It's just that you wouldn't be using Taunt without WoW or Destiny Bond, so you'd have to comment on that. I personally hold an opinion that Taunt + WoW serves a more defensive function, however, so adding another set MIGHT be a viable option. The former options is safer and simpler.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Taunt is good for breaking stall and stopping bulky Pokes such as Celebi Forretress Blissey etc, but it's not really a defensive function, more of a Stallbreaker function

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
taunt + wow is as defensive as gengar gets

not sure why anyone would taunt forretress or fucking celebi lol

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
idk, just trying to think of examples. Hit Celebi with Ice Punch on the switch then Taunt before it Recovers and switch. Forretress cant do much to Gengar when they're Taunted but I suppose they wouldn't stay in anyway

Taunt and Will-O-Wisp is an effective combo to cripple physical set-up sweepers. Gengar can prevent Pokemon from setting up, such as Tyranitar with Dragon Dance, and can then burn them with Will-O-Wisp, halving their attack. Gengar can stop Pokemon such as Celebi from using Recover, which is useful because Gengar can hit Celebi for around 40% damage with Ice Punch as it switches in, then Taunt and switch out. Destiny Bond can also be used in conjunction with Taunt to force the opponent to use an attacking move, activating Destiny Bond when Gengar is KO'ed.</p>
This doesn't mention the best uses of Taunt which tends to be against Pokemon like Blissey and Snorlax, as well as Zapdos and Regice (however against these two you want to avoid using it until you are more sure that they will use Rest). This is because none of them can OHKO you so even if you predict wrong you still have a low health Gengar and they have a low HP, burnt wall. They should not expect Taunt too much which allows it to work more effectively. You want to have burnt them prior to using the move so that when they do try to recover, they lose health instead and you can then either stay in to finish them off or switch out to something else to finish them off during the remaining turn of Taunt. Using Taunt against Celebi is a lot more risky but probably can work in some situations, though I still wouldn't have chosen it as the example. It is especially useful against Blissey who will probably try to use Aromatherapy or a status move, and whose Ice Beam is usually relatively weak.

In any case you definitely don't want to use Taunt against Tyranitar before it is burnt or you know the set, if at all, since there is a pretty high probability that it will use Rock Slide or Crunch...

Also you still haven't removed Pain Split.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)