1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

GenIV Tyranitar idea (not sure where this is meant to go)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Random Matt, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random Matt

Random Matt

Hi, I wasn't sure where this should go so I've put it here and my apologies if there's somewhere else it should be!

This is a set I've come up with rather quickly to solve a few troubles my current team is having. I'd appriciate some thoughts on how effective it may be or how it could be improved (with the purpose left intact).

So what I'm thinking of doing is using Tyranitar as a combined lure/sweeper, based on it's useable Special Attack and Rock Polish. It is basically a Rock Polish variant on the Mixed Attacker set already listed here: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tyranitar

Name: Polisitar (Polish, (Tyran)itar... yeah I just made something out of that)
    Nature: Rash/Modest (Rash if using any physical attack, Modest otherwise)
    Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb/Shuca Berry
    EVs: 96 Att/Def, 252 SpA, 160 Spe
    Stats Reached: 341 Hp, 273/295 Att, 256/280 Def, 317 SpA, 236 SpD, 198 Spe
    Moves:
    Rock Polish
    Flamethrower
    Icebeam
    Superpower/Crunch/Thunderbolt

The idea of this set is to outspeed max-speed Aerodactyl/Jolteon after a Rock Polish and proceed to butcher the switch-in with an unexpected and super-effective special attack, and proceed from there.

The choice for the 4th slot is between Superpower - being a physical attack with alot of power and coverage but reducing Attack and Defense (you all know Superpower! :D) -, a STAB Dark attack in Crunch (gets the OHKO on Starmie) and Thunderbolt - which is useful mainly for Gyarados, although it does not guarantee a OHKO if using Shuca Berry and SR isn't up (Sandstorm should finish it off though). Infact I would advise against Thunderbolt if using Shuca Berry as it misses a number of notable KOs without an item boost, such as the 2HKO on Vaporeon/Suicune, which it would get with an expert belt. I have discounted Dark Pulse as I think it is an inferior option to Crunch when Superpower isn't present to provide some physical damage.

Icebeam and Flamethrower both hit common counters, such as Gliscor/Dragonite/Flygon/Hippowdon/Scizor/Skarmory/Metagross/Forretress.

Expert Belt is the item to go for here, netting a bunch of useful 1/2HKOs. Life Orb is useable for even more damage and a boost when not supereffective, but the recoil will likely end Tyranitars mischeif early. Even Tyranitar with Timid/Jolly nature, 252EVs in Speed and a Rock Polish boost cannot catch Choice Scarf Flygon, so a Shuca Berry may be used to reduce the damage of the inevitable Earthquake.

ALTERNATIVELY: Replace Rock Polish with one of the other 4th slot options (so same moves as standard Mixed Attacker) and rely on something to Baton Pass +2 Speed. Ninjask and Gliscor both spring to mind. Ninjask having no common weaknesses with Tyranitar and Gliscor only sharing a Water weakness.
  2. Delko

Delko "ghost mod"
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

RMT is for full teams, if you want to get advice on a certain moveset, post here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)