1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules. Feel also free to check out our hub to learn more about this place!
  2. Want real-time art feedback? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit! You can also check out the Art Room on Pokemon Showdown, or our channel on Discord!
  3. The moderators of this forum are Bummer, RitterCat, and Tikitik.
  4. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  5. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Gloomy art [UPDATED! 17 / 09 / 2017]

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Gloom, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Gloom

Gloom

sup everyone, gloom here!
    my thread was a complete mess, deleted images, etc etc. reworked the whole thing, so pardon the confusion regarding comments. took out art from before 2015 and most non-poké art unless i'm proud of it.

[​IMG]

i'm a 23 year old student, living in amsterdam. i've loved drawing and pokemon for as long as i can remember, golden combi right?

i use a wacom intuos tablet and SAI, and occasionally photoshop for editting. ENJOY!

[​IMG]

all art in one place:
    Show Hide

2015 - 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 8:13 AM
    trajectories, Mq, Ssensenh and 38 others like this.
  2. srinator

srinator

That qwilfish is amazing, such swag. actually all your art is pretty cool (that hypno tho!)
    Lol that gloom made me chuckle.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Gloom likes this.
  3. kazbel

kazbel

I agree with srinator, the Quilfish is really good; the painting on that one is fantastic. I love your simpler mons like the Chikorita, Sandshrew, and Kecleon. You said that you were getting lazy, but I actually think that the design has a good knowledge of form and style while still maintaining the integrity of the Pokemon. Also really like your people, I see I have a kindred spirit who likes drawing cute girls lol. I'd love to see more sometime 8]
    Gloom likes this.
  4. Pent

Pent
    is an Artist

These all look great, I really enjoy the shiny Clefairy because of the lighting and shading you did to it. And the Gloom actually looks kinda cute. Great job and keep up the good work!
    Gloom likes this.
  5. Gloom

Gloom

men aren't my strongest point to put it lightly hahaha, but i do have a drawing of DIO that i'm quite proud of, i'll add that to the OP
    thank you all! that qwilfish really was the tipping point for me, so i'm glad to hear such positive feedback.
    Pent and kazbel like this.
  6. Bummer

Bummer Jamming to the beat
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Leader

I definitely have a memory of seeing that red Hypno before, it's quite eye catching since its stance is similar to its usual pose but more fluid and focused. Also am a big fan of the Qwilfish, like many others in this thread, it shows how cool the end result can be if you substitue the lineart with highlights and solid colors. Other favorites is the professor Sandshrews and the Mesprit gijinka (getting some Sailor Moon vibes off that last one too).

So yeah, you're clearly a good artist, and by the looks of it, clearly more skilled than myself, so the only reasonable thing to do is destroy you make you an approved artist. I'm well aware that requests are off the table at the time being, but if you ever feel like blessing other parts of the site with your work, you now have full authority to contribute to some of the more demanding places (see the link for more info, if interested). Nice to have you back!
    Mq, Reigaheres, Kris and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gloom

Gloom

haha oh really! that's awesome, thanks. i actually only got into painting recently, i really wanted to elevate my art.
    and wow that is an honour! i'm definitely interested, my last exam is next friday so let's see what happens after that. thank you!

just finished this also, i still had some sketches lying around. i wanted to re-design oddish into a poison and ground type and i liked these the best, i have another set that i'll post later.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 7:16 AM
  8. Bummer

is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Leader

I like that idea, although Oddish would be the only recipient of that typing since Gloom and Gloom v2 seem to be more above ground. Although this gets me the urge to go back designing fakemons again, I did have an idea of a carrot lugging around a chunk of soil. But yeah, love the leave's shading on the left version.
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  9. antemortem

antemortem
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    PS Policy Head

I don't see a Qwilfish (my net isn't loading it, I believe) but the Jirachi and Gloom make me want to shed a single tear for how excellent they are. I'm in absolute love with them, especially the former. Your lines are so clean and your style is cute and elegant and modern and it's all sooo good. I love this terribly ;_;
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  10. Gloom

Gloom

late reply sorry! thank you i'm so glad ppl like it, i've been so busy lately but not forgotten about this!
    updating now with some stress-release doodles, jirachi is quickly rising as one of my favourite pokemon in design and battle as well

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  11. Albert.

Albert. visually stimulating

These are absolutely fantastic. You really have talent. Definitely some of the best I've seen!
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  12. Deinosaur

Deinosaur world's dumbest valedictorian
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This is absolutely incredible. I'm really loving these. It looks so smooth when you draw. I'm envious for sure.
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  13. Tikitik

Tikitik a flower, soon
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Wonderful idea for re-working oddish, and I really enjoy your style with that smooth lineart and shading. Also, that Jirachi piece is reaaaally calming and relaxing. I'm already absolutely in love with your work and I'll be looking forward to more of you art ^^
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  14. Gloom

Gloom

thank you guys!! i am now motivated to finish this:

[​IMG]

in all its glory what should have been my tribute to ORAS coming out but it's way overdue and i'm too lazy and busy. i still really intend to finish this though so i thought i'd show so far since it's been sitting in my folder for 2 months and it was annoying me. also that is supposed to become a wailmer eventually lol
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 7:17 AM
    Mq, queez, TrainerSplash and 6 others like this.
  15. Pent

Pent
    is an Artist

S-Sexy
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  16. Bummer

Art Leader

Nice Jirachi pic, makes for yet another reminder that I need to step up my brush game. You've made good progress with the ORAS pic too, although I find it odd that you color and shade May despite not having her hand finished (or are the clouds in a layer above her?). Loving the blue tones either way.
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  17. Gloom

Gloom

gracias!! hahaha that's how i felt a while ago when i only used cell shading. and actually i made that ORAS pic before the qwilfish and jirachi and so the order is a bit weird! i hadn't really figured painting out yet. much appreciated!
    Mq likes this.
  18. DKFirelord

DKFirelord Back this time I swear!
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Yo art is bea Ass fuck <3
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  19. az

az greyscale superhero
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i love how loosely the yamask are rendered, yet the eyes are still super vivid and expressive :)
    Mq and Gloom like this.
  20. DKFirelord

DKFirelord Back this time I swear!
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Are you taking requests
    Mq likes this.
  21. Gloom

Gloom

thank you all so much! ahh i love that haha, i'm also happy with the eyes
    i might consider it in the future but as of now i'm way too busy, i'm in the middle of exams haha. but it's in the back of my mind!
    Mq likes this.
  22. Gloom

Gloom

woo i had exams x_x school never ends for me

anyways have this that i made today, it's for a good friend of mine and croconaw is his favourite pokemon and i wanted to do something for him so

[​IMG]

i actually do have a version with a rendered background but he and i both liked this version more, personally i like the simplicity of the background. he loved it so success!

(oh ya sry dave ik this isnt a clefable but trust me the clef is coming)
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 7:30 AM
  23. Bummer

Art Leader

textbook definition of 'aww yiss', really like how smooth the lineart is. Pleasing to look at.
    Gloom likes this.
  24. Gloom

Gloom

oh my what a compliment!! thank you! those lines are actually my sketch lines that i cleaned up, i was planning to paint it afterwards but it wasn't really necessary haha
    Mq likes this.
  25. Gloom

Gloom

i havent worked this out yet but i’m way too excited about this fakemon to not post! name is bantern or lanshee, haven’t decided on that yet. type is ghost/fairy, it’s based off a lantern (which is called a fairylight too so it fits so well!) anyways i’ll be designing a devolution for this later on, i want it to be really fast and frail, and one of the abilities i want it to have is flare boost (cause of the lantern and all)

the open bit on the front is supposed to be a mouth but i'm gonna work that out too[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Mq and DKFirelord like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)