Pokémon Golisopod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway after my Internet derp and made multiple posts, Wondering if First Impression can be used twice when Oranguru use Instruct on it

Anyway after my Internet derp and made multiple posts, Wondering if First Impression can be used twice when Oranguru use Instruct on it
No it can't unfortunately, Instruct essentially gives Golisopod a second turn that acts as any other turn, so he can't use First Impression again.

I believe this has already been covered, but to consolidate all the relevant information I've gathered from testing and research, I will lay out both what I know and what I believe to be true.

Emergency Exit will not trigger if it heals before it has the chance to. (Such as with a Sitrus Berry). Additionally, if the ability does not activate when it normally would, that is, when Golisopod's HP hits below half from above half (this can happen when a pokemon with Sheer Force attacks), the ability will not trigger from subsequent hits unless it heals its HP to above half. Antepenultimately, an Emergency Exit trigger will cause Volt-Switch and U-Turn not to trigger; the user of the move will stay in. Penultimately, a force-switch move such as Dragon Tail, or item such as Eject Button, will force Golisopod to switch before the ability can activate. However, a Red Card will cause both the ability and item to trigger simultaneously. Ultimately, weather damage, confusion, nor self damage moves (Substitute and possibly Belly Drum if it was legal) can activate the ability, but any type of entry hazard or status damage can.

Currently, I do not know if Emergency Exit will trigger if Golisopod's HP falls below half due to the effects of a move such as Whirlpool, Fire Spin, or Infestation. My assumption is that it will, as it appears that damage from the opposing pokemon, direct (attack) or indirect (Entry Hazard, Status) is the prime rule to trigger the ability, and the ability appears to trigger regardless if the pokemon is locked in (such as when under the effects of Mean Look). While I only know that the ability will trigger through Mean Look, I do believe it would be a pretty good guess that it would still trigger when under the effects of moves/abilities with similar mechanics (Shadow Tag, Spirit Shackle, Infestation). The same could also be said for contact damage such as the Rough Skin and Iron Barbs Abilities or a Rocky Helmet.

Personally, I think a Sitrus Berry could be interesting as it offers some protection and allows Golisopod to run Swords Dance. While you would have to sacrifice its signature move, Golisopod's access to good priority like Aqua Jet and Sucker Punch can make up for it at +2. Substitute is also an option, but is a bit less useful, as with Golisopod's speed, you run the risk of munching the berry before you can sub, which defeats its purpose. Sadly, both sets are a bit too gimmicky for the average competitive trainer, as even with a Sitrus Berry, you still run the risk of being switched after using the berry, and Golisopod cannot reliably set up later in the game without it. This sort of pigeon-holds him into a late-game cleaner after dealing with entry hazards and other threats. Ultimately, you're better off with the above-mentioned AV, LO, or Lefties sets. Personally, I've been running a very gimmicky core of a SubDrumPass Smeargle and Golisopod @ Sitrus Berry. But I would not advise this to a serious battler. Far too gimmicky.

Last edited:
From my own testing/researching, Golisopod's gonna be UU for sure. There's too many checks/counters to Pod in OU that it can't compete. First Impression is strong, but it lacks in type coverage, giving Scizor's BP the advantage. Pod's also lacking in a solid movepool, relying mostly on STAB and letting its team do the type coverage. It's forced to have multiple priorty moves to not be hindered by its abililty, cutting its raw power and making it helpless in psychic terrain. Having a weakness to rocks doesn't help its case, either.

It's a threat in UU, though. There's a lack of things in UU that can avoid a one-shot from LO First Impression or survive a subsequent Aqua Jet, making Pod an excellent revenge killer. It would be a good wallbreaker too, but it lacks anything SE against the bulky UU water types. EE isn't such a hindrance in UU either, as almost nothing in the tier can 2HKO Pod on the physical side.

Of course, Golisopod wouldn't be in UU if it was overpowering. Pod has very little coverage in its movepool, and some sets may run pure STAB. Anything that can take a FI and 2HKO in return is a serious threat to Pod. Rock, Electric and Flying types are very good at threatening Pod out if it can't FI, and most of the bulky water types can wall Pod's STAB. Hazards are the absolute bane of any Pod, as there's a threshold where it must take double the hazard damage to switch back in. Gyrados is a flat counter to Golisopod, though Gyrados would need Bounce if he wants to do any damage to Pod.

In a team, Pod synergizes really well with something that can deal with any STAB weaknesses/walls, and spin/lay hazards. Heliolisk and Forretress work great for these roles, but leaves an obvious fire weakness in your team. A bulky water type can help solve this problem, and the last two slots can be for whatever roles/threats you want covered. For Pod itself, I've found LO to be the best set to take. There's a handful of cases in favor of AV, but LO has more cases of securing a one/two-shot.

If Golisopod wants a chance at OU, it needs a change to either its ability or movepool. Having EE activate at the end of a turn would remove the need for Pod to run more than one priority and clear up its moveslots for coverage, though it'd still keep the weakness to hazards. If Pod gets access to the elemental fangs/punches, the coverage he gets from that may just be enough to boost him to BL/OU.

Last edited:
Man Golisopod is such a good lure for Tapu Koko I keep having them come in to liquidations to the face expecting first impressions. If stealth rocks is up then the liquidation is enough to bring them into ko range for sucker punch.
With the amount people running Tapu koko the sucker punch ko scenario happens about every 3 games I play, they never seem to see it coming. I also find myself koing a lot of charzards at the beginning of matches the same way.

What I love about this guy is how easy it is to abuse its ability to bring in squishy mons safely. In battle spot, where battles are much more comprised, that's an amazing utility and even in 6v6, I only see this mon creating momentum left and right. Either you are forcing out a squishy mon with the threat of First Impression, possibly eating Liquidation instead(like elitesalamander said), or you just click one of your other priority moves to get off damage on a mon staying in and switch out same turn thanks to Emergency Exit. Heck, you may even switch in just to ruin a Volt Turn core.

I'm honestly surprised how generous GF was with this pokemon. You rarely see a slow fat mon with big attack and 3(!) types of priority, 2 of them being STAB.

EDIT: Btw, just for formats that enforce item clause(or maybe in general? idk), I feel Red Card might be interesting if it can activate on the same turn as Emergency Exit.

Last edited:
Man Golisopod is such a good lure for Tapu Koko I keep having them come in to liquidations to the face expecting first impressions. If stealth rocks is up then the liquidation is enough to bring them into ko range for sucker punch.
With the amount people running Tapu koko the sucker punch ko scenario happens about every 3 games I play, they never seem to see it coming. I also find myself koing a lot of charzards at the beginning of matches the same way.
252+ Atk Life Orb Golisopod X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 116-136 (41.2 - 48.3%) (Put the BP at 90 cause I can't find First Impression)

252+ Atk Life Orb Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 105-125 (37.3 - 44.4%)

Tapu Koko is pretty dead if it switches in on SR after one round of LO recoil or more than 10% of chip damage, so if your opponents are switching it in on Golisopod, they're probably bad and/or have no proper answer to it on their team.

Also, what exactly does Sucker Punch hit outside of Gengar that Aqua Jet can't already cover? I can't really think of anything outside of wanting to hit Alolan Raichu after your first turn in and it's not like Gengar can just Sub regardless and make Sucker Punch moot. Might as well run Liquidation/Leech Life/Whatever in its place, to be honest.

Purely theorymoning now, but I would think that running 172 Speed EVs to outrun neutral, non-invested base 61s (Ttar, Celesteela) and slower might help a little bit with Golisopod's reliance on priority moves, unless the bulk from 252 HP lets you live things that 80 HP doesn't (80 leaves you with 311 HP, letting you switch into SR 4 times from full health, although if using LO, this is pretty moot). So what I was thinking was:

Golisopod @ Life Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Leech Life
- Liquidation

Max Attack + Adamant for hard hitting purpose, 176 Speed for outpacing key walls and threats and 80 HP for a bit more bulk. I mentioned that you need only 172 Speed to outpace uninvested base 61s, but 84 HP leaves HP dividable by 4, which allows for less switchins assuming you're just switching this in while SR is up to scare things away and switch out or use Leech Life and I think the one point in either defensive stat would do nothing for you, so in Speed it goes.

Obviously you could still run Sucker Punch if you're REALLY scared of non-Sub Gengar and Alolan Raichu (again, only two threats that come to my mind) or run...whatever useful moves this thing gets outside of STABs and Sucker Punch (I think Poison Jab is about the only noteworthy one, everything else is kind of garbage).

252+ Atk Life Orb Golisopod X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 116-136 (41.2 - 48.3%) (Put the BP at 90 cause I can't find First Impression)

252+ Atk Life Orb Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 105-125 (37.3 - 44.4%)

Tapu Koko is pretty dead if it switches in on SR after one round of LO recoil or more than 10% of chip damage, so if your opponents are switching it in on Golisopod, they're probably bad and/or have no proper answer to it on their team.

Also, what exactly does Sucker Punch hit outside of Gengar that Aqua Jet can't already cover? I can't really think of anything outside of wanting to hit Alolan Raichu after your first turn in and it's not like Gengar can just Sub regardless and make Sucker Punch moot. Might as well run Liquidation/Leech Life/Whatever in its place, to be honest.

Purely theorymoning now, but I would think that running 172 Speed EVs to outrun neutral, non-invested base 61s (Ttar, Celesteela) and slower might help a little bit with Golisopod's reliance on priority moves, unless the bulk from 252 HP lets you live things that 80 HP doesn't (80 leaves you with 311 HP, letting you switch into SR 4 times from full health, although if using LO, this is pretty moot). So what I was thinking was:

Golisopod @ Life Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Leech Life
- Liquidation

Max Attack + Adamant for hard hitting purpose, 176 Speed for outpacing key walls and threats and 80 HP for a bit more bulk. I mentioned that you need only 172 Speed to outpace uninvested base 61s, but 84 HP leaves HP dividable by 4, which allows for less switchins assuming you're just switching this in while SR is up to scare things away and switch out or use Leech Life and I think the one point in either defensive stat would do nothing for you, so in Speed it goes.

Obviously you could still run Sucker Punch if you're REALLY scared of non-Sub Gengar and Alolan Raichu (again, only two threats that come to my mind) or run...whatever useful moves this thing gets outside of STABs and Sucker Punch (I think Poison Jab is about the only noteworthy one, everything else is kind of garbage).
There's Alakazam assuming you are locked out of First Impression, but it looks like it still 2HKOs with Aqua Jet but with Emergency Exit the calcs aren't really relevant because Alakazam forces him out after 1 hit (Even with no items):
252+ Atk Golisopod Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 156-184 (120 - 141.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 67-79 (51.5 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Golisopod: 87-103 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm not confident in Golisopod's chances in OU but I feel like Sucker Punch would definitely get some good use in UU with things like Decidueye. You make a valid point though that Sucker Punch doesn't seem to hit a lot of things in OU.

Edit: There is also Metagross as Bug/Water is neutral.

Last edited:

There are 4 main Pokemon common in the meta right now that can freely switch into Golisopod, those are Skarmory, Mantine, Celesteela, and Toxapex. they are all really obvious switch ins and you shouldn't even be keeping Golisopod on the field to attack if they are on the enemy team and should be predicted switching to a check or counter. The thing about those pokes are that offense tends not to run them or only one of them at a time. leaving a lot of situations late and early game where they try to bring Golisopod checks onto the field only to eat a liquidation running their plan.

Golisopod Red Card
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD/ 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Bulk Up

My favorite golisopod set. The idea is to switch into a potential sweeper and get off the First Impression. Assuming you don't take it out in one shot, and are able to survive the opponent's attack, Red Card + Emergency exit forces their switch and then lets you throw out a better counter. The second time you bring Golisopod into play, you get another First Impression and Leech Life + Bulk Up will allow for some rather irritating scenarios for your opponent if you're given opportunity to set up. Liquidation to put a damper on Rock and Steel mons that want to step in your kool aid.

Doubles Set:
Golisopod @Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Rock Slide

Araquanid Focus sash / Leftovers
Ability: Aqua Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Entrainment
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Spider Web / Stockpile

Entrainment Araquanid is a surefire way to make Golisopod utterly terrifying. All Araquanid is really here for is to get off the Entrainment on the first turn; after that you can do whatever you want with it. Either Stockpile to make it more tanky or throw on Spider Web to stop potential bait switching. Aqua Bubble is a scary ability even on Arauanid's base 70 Atk, but on Golisopod's 125 base Atk? Aqua Jet essentially being a 120 base priority move after AB and STAB is scary enough, but throw in an AV boost and things start going splat. I don't even want to think about the numbers on a AV Aqua Bubble STAB Liquidation from this monster. Leech Life for recovery and Rock Slide to stop faster Flying type threats that resist Aqua Jet.

Doing some more testing, I didn't realize before how much synergy Golisopod has with ground types. Ground types can switch in on electric and rock moves, and threaten them and flying types with edgequake- it also helps in breaking down certain bulky type combos (water/steel, water/poison) who would otherwise wall Pod. In return, Pod can switch in on water and ice rather than a bulkier water type, giving offensive momentum (though beware of scald).

Looking back on my original team, replacing Forretress with Donphan would work in giving you more synergy with Pod and Heliolisk. Only problem that gives is how Forretress has a slow volt switch, another way of letting you safely switch to Pod. A good solution would to have the pivot on a fith slot in your team. Rotom-H, Gligar and Ampharos-M are all good options, or you could be a madman and run Silvally-Ground paired with parting shot. The last slot is really up to you, but you'd want something fast and hits whichever side you want covered. Hydreigon and Krookodile both fit that category well with a scarf on them, though you could go with Heracross over Krook.

On second thought, looking through it gives a problem. No matter which scarf mon you go with, the pivots I listed all give the team a chronic weakness to one or more types. Changing Silvally's memory may help solve this problem (or darkium z), or instead scrap the idea of a slow pivot in favor of a free slot for threats/roles. Defensive Sylveon looks like the best choice for anti-fighting/dark/dragons, something the rest of the team's not so great at. If you want to change your scarf to something else, then you could also afford to run Nidoking and get a scarfed or defensive Rotom-H to handle ground and boltbeam weaknesses.

Golisopod @ Life Orb
Heliolisk @ Grassium Z/Waterium Z/Life Orb
Donphan @ Leftovers
(water mon)
Silvally @ -Memory/Darkium Z / Sylveon @ Leftovers / Nidoking @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Hydreigon/Krookodile @ Choice Scarf / Rotom-H @Leftovers/Choice Scarf

Overall, Golisopod's at home where he can come in on relatively for free, and start doing STAB damage. On a team, the real draw is that though he can punch holes, he can't break walls early game and can't sweep mid/late game. Instead, he's better at weakening certain threats for the rest of your team to clean up with, or mopping up as a revenge killer. EE can also act as an emergency pivot if you can't afford anybody else taking a hit, but hurts Golisopod's ability to take hits and respond.

He feels right at home in UU.

Last edited:
Doing some more testing, I didn't realize before how much synergy Golisopod has with ground types. Ground types can switch in on electric and rock moves, and threaten them and flying types with edgequake- it also helps in breaking down certain bulky type combos (water/steel, water/poison) who would otherwise wall Pod. In return, Pod can switch in on water and ice rather than a bulkier water type, giving offensive momentum (though beware of scald).
Dugrito would work wonders with this guy, since he can trap the threats. Really depends on whether or not they end up in the same tier or not though because if dugtrio is in OU, I don't think Goliospod would be able to perform there well enough.

Dugrito would work wonders with this guy, since he can trap the threats. Really depends on whether or not they end up in the same tier or not though because if dugtrio is in OU, I don't think Goliospod would be able to perform there well enough.
I actually have been practicing with that sort of set recently, running the standard dugtrio set with an AV Golisopod. It's actually pretty terrifying, and there have been several scenarios in which whatever mon was threatening on the team was hit with a priority move (mainly first impression) and then Goliso gets hit with either a volt-switch or a super-effective move, and is forced to switch. What's hilarious is there have been multiple occasions in Pokebank where a specs Raikou, which cannot OHKO max HP Golisopod even without AV due to natural bulk, gets chunked by First Impression, and it's Volt was cancelled due to Emergency Exit. Dugtrio switches in, Raikou can't switch out due to Arena Trap, and can't hit me due to being locked into Volt. It's a terrifying way to force your opponent to lose a mon.

I think it's hard to run a stat boosting set on Golisopod because of his ability forcing you out. Typical of GF to give a mon with such potential and great typing a stupid ability

I think it's hard to run a stat boosting set on Golisopod because of his ability forcing you out. Typical of GF to give a mon with such potential and great typing a stupid ability
Pretty sure the ability/design were made BEFORE the moveset/stats. It's more of giving a gimmick mon a great dual typing and a nice moveset that can actually make use of it's admittedly situational ability.

I can appreciate it's gimmicky value but i prefer a more solid strategy. When i first saw Golisopod and what it evolved from i immediately thought Magicarp/Gyarados but EE as an ability just doesn't work for me that's not to say it would work for someone else however

Golisopod can fill many roles but it can also be used as a safe sweep counter since it has enough bulk to take most +1 or +2 attacks from most UU mons so it can red card them out and start sprinkling salt when you've gotten a clean switch into your check.

I used this with Turtonator (Bait/trap/phase), Claydol (SR/Spinsplosion), and Cloyster(Dual Spikes/Spin) then i add in 2 attackers and just like that the momentum shifts.

I ran into a Golisopod in Battle Tree with an interesting held item that made me curious. So I tried it out myself to mixed results.

Golisopod @ Eject Button
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Taunt / Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

My EV spread is just for myself, probably not really good either haha, so ignore it for the most part. While it does seem bad for Golisopod to escape battle twice, it does let First Impression go off three times minimum and I do like the move a lot. Taunt is for Toxapex/stallbreaking since Golisopod, while slower than a bag of bricks, is still a bit faster than 0 Speed EV Toxapex. I mostly used it paired with Z-Parting Shot so that when Golisopod used both Exit and Eject, I could full heal him and just let him sit in battle and Swords Dance from there since Eject and Exit are 1 use per battle. A Defogger/Rapid Spinner also helps greatly since Stealth Rocks.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I think it might be the best counter to u turn in the game.

Maybe abusing rocky helmet, spikes and maybe rock tomb vs gyrados/mantine or poison jab might poison mega sableye. But preventing u turns/ volt switches and You being forced out into a trapper could be huge.

Maybe Mega gyrados would enjoy switchers forced into a trapper with a layer of spikes.

I'm sure defense/attack could be adjusted to what's needed

I initially thought it was a shitmon, especially the offensive set, however, people should really try a bulky spikes set. It sets up spikes on so many mons, especially ground types or steel styles, is quite bulky and first impression can indeed be incredibly useful against offensive teams (Alakazam comes to mind). Not at the beginning mind you, where it is easily predicted (which you can also exploit for some leech life recovery).

Its biggest weakness is stealth rock, so if you play smart in order to get the rocks out, this thing is a great pivot. I assume on Battle Spot it is a beast.

I haven't re-read all 4 pages on this, but I just want to say that I just had a situation where my Golisopod was hit below 50%, but Emergency Exit did not trigger. The circumstances:

Battle Tree Super Singles
My mon: Golisopod(Burned, 80%, Assault Vest), there are 2 living mons in the back
Opposing Mon: Darmanitan(known moves: WoW, Fire Punch, Protect, ability is definitely Sheer Force)
Event: I use Aqua Jet, Darmanitan lives, hits me below 50% with Fire Punch. I take the damage, burn damage goes off, Golisopod's Emergency Exit does NOT trigger.

Possible causes(theoretically; I haven't had the opportunity to test yet):
- Sheer Force affects Emergency Exit in a weird way(very unlikely)
- Status problems suppress Emergency Exit

Has anyone else seen this happen yet? I'm a bit confused right now. I'd love to make a video, but I have no devices for that.

I haven't re-read all 4 pages on this, but I just want to say that I just had a situation where my Golisopod was hit below 50%, but Emergency Exit did not trigger. The circumstances:

Battle Tree Super Singles
My mon: Golisopod(Burned, 80%, Assault Vest), there are 2 living mons in the back
Opposing Mon: Darmanitan(known moves: WoW, Fire Punch, Protect, ability is definitely Sheer Force)
Event: I use Aqua Jet, Darmanitan lives, hits me below 50% with Fire Punch. I take the damage, burn damage goes off, Golisopod's Emergency Exit does NOT trigger.

Possible causes(theoretically; I haven't had the opportunity to test yet):
- Sheer Force affects Emergency Exit in a weird way(very unlikely)
- Status problems suppress Emergency Exit

Has anyone else seen this happen yet? I'm a bit confused right now. I'd love to make a video, but I have no devices for that.
Emergency Exit triggers if an _attack_ puts you below 50%. Since the burn damage did it, it did not trigger.

It was Fire Punch that put me below 50% though. Burn damage came after. I ended up at about 25%, so it definitely wasn't a 1 hit point above 50% thing either =/

It was Fire Punch that put me below 50% though. Burn damage came after. I ended up at about 25%, so it definitely wasn't a 1 hit point above 50% thing either =/
Darm was Sheer Force, Yes? Sheer Force negates the effect of Emergency Exit.

Okay, that's what I wanted to know, thanks. Interesting that it does that though. Sheer Force has all kinds of weird side effects it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)