Pokémon Golisopod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE Golisopod, everything about it, and from what I've seen of it it works okay (especially good at clutch win-or-lose kills I find) but it just isn't being the monster I know it can be. it was clearly made to abuse priority moves as a revenge killer with godawful speed, but its physical bulk is awesome and allows for some great mindgames with the opponent wondering whether to try and trigger E-exit or switch into something special and take a first impression to the face (or indeed whatever else I choose to use, because one can assume a first impression is on the way, so not using it can be a great surprise as well)

What do you guys think about pairing it up with Magnezone? Seems interesting to me since it covers up Golisopod's weaknesses (namely rock, flying (x0.25) and electrik) and has a strong STABed volt-switch.
that could be REALLY good. murder whatever was threatening Goli, volt switch back into Goli, leech life to bring it back up to 50%, rinse and repeat.

copying my post from the other thread

I played a lot of UU and I didn't really see Araquanid much. Golisopod has made more of an impact with First Impression dealing with many sweepers and dangerous scarfers (Latias, Hydreigon, Weavile, Sharpedo, Alakazam, Serperior, Starmie - It's good even if it's not super effective or even not very effective, a not super effective First Impression is as strong as a neutral Aqua Jet; does about 20% to a Dragonite which can save you if it doesn't have E-Speed and Fly instead) its sky-high defense that enables it to check Mamoswine and good movepool with options such as Sucker Punch, Aqua Jet, Spikes and Poison Jab. Araquanid's Leech Life is simply too weak to constitute recovery (unlike Golisopod's Leech Life which is strong enough to break Keldeo's Sub) and while Liquidation is incredibly powerful, there are a myriad checks to water mons in the tier.

Although I only really played with one team i built and Araquanid can't do anything against it (countered by Golisopod of all mons), but I haven't seen it much and it doesn't seem to be useful against the mons that plague the tier (such as Kyurem-B, Dragonite).

To take a wild guess, a physically defensive rest-talk set would likely be the most useful as a pivot on balance teams to deal with some prominent threats (Mamo, non-CM Keldeo, Infernape, Alakazam)

Both of them absolutely get destroyed by rocks and it's incredibly hard to keep them off the field especially against HO due to insane Rockers this tier has however. (Terrak ffs) I would say Golisopod is an incredibly potent mon in SM OU although it well be a liability and useless in OU as long as Tapu Lele is n the tier.

that could be REALLY good. murder whatever was threatening Goli, volt switch back into Goli, leech life to bring it back up to 50%, rinse and repeat.
Emergency Exit only works once per battle, so this wouldn't work as well as you're hoping it would. And with Goli's terrible speed, if Goli is below 50% HP, it's only going to be out there for revenge killing, not Leech Life.

This thing could be deadly on those rare Trick Room teams as Base Speed of 40 is actually low enough to threaten anything that doesn't wall it. Still the move pool is decent enough, it learns Brick Break to deal with Steel-Types, Poison Jab for Fairy-Types, Rock Slide for Flying-Types and Shadow Claw for Ghost-Types. If it knows that it's Priority gets blocked it also learns Spikes by breeding. Since it learns some powerful priority moves if you Baton Pass it Attack Buffs, your opponent will possibly be forced to spam status on it as they risk being knocked out of the ring by a possible +4~6 Priority Move like Aqua Jet (STAB makes the BP 60), Sucker Punch (BP of 70) or First Impression on the first turn (STAB makes the BP a whopping 120 when not holding an item which is a lot stronger than a non-Silk Scarf/Life Orb ES from Arceus and is second to Yveltal's Dark Aura boosted STAB Sucker Punch when it also isn't running any damage boosting items.) While slow, this Pokemon still has quite some potential in Trick Room Teams if it isn't running Priority or if it can be Baton Passed some Attack buffs, those Priority moves are looking pretty scary.

I was half-wrong. E.Exit does activate again if Goli heals itself, but it will not activate again if Goli is healed by Z-Parting, Heal Pulse, Wish, etc.
Do you have proof of this? I assumed the ability would re-activate if Golisopod were to be healed by any means. Post #69 actually states that Z-Parting does work with Emergency Exit. I also don't see it mentioned anywhere, but if Golisopod is hurt below 50% because of Poison or Burn effects the ability won't trigger, at least not in showdown.

Aside from that, I agree with the opinion that Golisopod will end up being UU with niche uses for OU. Having playing mostly Pre-bank OU, Golisopod doesn't have much to do with Celesteela, Toxapex and Tapu Lele running around in every other team. Goli is also fairly easy to set-up onto (Mega-Scizor or Mega-Pinsir Swords Dance) , and with the Psychic Terrain its role as powerful, priority-based revenge killer is denied in most cases. It can have some uses if you're good at predicting switches and making them eat a Liquidation to the face as mentioned by others, but if that Scizor gets one or two swords dances for free you're screwed.

With that said, Pre-bank OU he can have some good uses with Assault Vest. With it he can actually survive Modest Scarf Tapu-Lele's entire moveset and force her out with Liquidation (surviving above 50% of course), but at the cost of losing a lot of ATK. Goli also needs support to get rid of SR if it wants to fulfill his "free switch-in" role for its teammates.

Overall I'm having mixed feelings about Golisopod. While its ability is cool and can be very useful, a lot of potential miss-plays can happen because of it, and the fact that it can't wall-break a lot of the OU mons takes much of the appeal away. Still, a cool mon regardless that I hope can do well on lower tiers.

By the way, has anyone tried him as an anti-lead? I feel like it can do very well against the current, most-popular leads in the Pre-Bank meta (I haven't played much pokebank yet) . It can do a good job against Nihilego, Lycanrock-Midday and Mamoswine, OHKO'ing all of them with Liquidation and can then break the Sash with Aqua Jet. If they choose to attack rather than SR, none of them can put him below 50%. However, Necrozma, Pelipper and Gigalith can be a problem with this idea:

Golisopod (Golisopod) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 216 HP / 132 Atk / 160 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life / Sucker Punch
- Aqua Jet
- First Impression
- Liquidation

Evs are split on SPD to take Tapu Lele's hits so that the scarfed version can't put him below 50% even if it's Modest provided there are no hazards. Other than that, not much to say, it's the standard set with EV spreads so he can tank more hits on the special side at the cost of attack power. I'm not entirely convinced about the viability of this set, especially with the already mentioned walls that are Skarmory, Celesteela, Toxapex, etc, but I feel like Assault Vest is the way to go with this Mon.

You could also run a very gimmicky set with Swords Dance to surprise people trying to switch-in their Scizor / Pinsir / Celesteela then hit them really hard, but you'd have to get rid of the assault vest and his speed is nowhere near enough to hit those mons with something that isn't aqua jet. Celesteela with no EVs on Sp.ATK has a good chance of popping Emergency Exit, and Mega-Pinsir will Ohko you with Return. Emergency Exit also makes this set very hard to execute.

All in all, I feel like he's just outclassed by the OU meta, and hope that he can find some uses in the lower tiers. A bit of a shame for one, in my opinion, the best designs in this generation.

I've been playing around with this guy in the battle tree and pairing him with A-Persian seems to work wonders with Z-Parting Shot since E. Exit doesn't seem to proc a second time. With the right play you can almost use some setup moves (Bulk up or SD) after the EE is used up and is re-healed to full. The enemy won't hurt much either from the parting shot debuff or they might give you a free turn swapping out.

Do you have proof of this? I assumed the ability would re-activate if Golisopod were to be healed by any means. Post #69 actually states that Z-Parting does work with Emergency Exit. I also don't see it mentioned anywhere, but if Golisopod is hurt below 50% because of Poison or Burn effects the ability won't trigger, at least not in showdown.
I've been playing around with this guy in the battle tree and pairing him with A-Persian seems to work wonders with Z-Parting Shot since E. Exit doesn't seem to proc a second time. With the right play you can almost use some setup moves (Bulk up or SD) after the EE is used up and is re-healed to full. The enemy won't hurt much either from the parting shot debuff or they might give you a free turn swapping out.
So did some in-game and showdown testing with this, and I've come to the conclusion that Emergency Exit makes no freaking sense. It proc'd after Z-Parting Shot healed a majority of the time, but there were still very few moments of it not going off. I dunno if someone else can come make sense of this, because I'm confused.

So did some in-game and showdown testing with this, and I've come to the conclusion that Emergency Exit makes no freaking sense. It proc'd after Z-Parting Shot healed a majority of the time, but there were still very few moments of it not going off. I dunno if someone else can come make sense of this, because I'm confused.
Did you run into pokemon with Mold Breaker? That might have been the reason why he didn't switch.

Other than that I don't know what other reasons there could be.

Did you run into pokemon with Mold Breaker? That might have been the reason why he didn't switch.

Mold Breaker shouldn't negate Emergency Exit. It only affects abilities that would affect the damage output of one of the user's moves (except for Full Metal Body, Shadow Shield, and Prism Armor).

Mold Breaker shouldn't negate Emergency Exit. It only affects abilities that would affect the damage output of one of the user's moves (except for Full Metal Body, Shadow Shield, and Prism Armor).
Mold Breaker does negate EE. You might have it confused with Sheer Force.

Mold Breaker does negate EE. You might have it confused with Sheer Force.
In-game text: "Moves can be used on the target regardless of its Abilities." Emergency Exit does not affect the extent of the damage done to Golisopod, only how long it stays on the field at a given time; therefore, it should not be negated. Neither Bulbapedia nor Serebii lists EE as an affected ability under Mold Breaker, Turboblaze, or Teravolt.

In-game text: "Moves can be used on the target regardless of its Abilities." Emergency Exit does not affect the extent of the damage done to Golisopod, only how long it stays on the field at a given time; therefore, it should not be negated. Neither Bulbapedia nor Serebii lists EE as an affected ability under Mold Breaker, Turboblaze, or Teravolt.
I've had it happen 3 times in the Battle Tree that I can count: Twice by a Haxorus and once by an Excadrill. So unless EE just breaks for no apparent reason that's the only thing that makes sense.

Since Volt Switch and U-Turn are common, and Emergency Exit blocks the switch, how about a set designed to counter VoltTurn?

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
IVs: 24 HP / 0 Def

At full health, Emergency Exit will trigger from many popular VoltTurn users.

252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Golisopod: 142-169 (50 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Golisopod in Electric Terrain: 190-226 (66.9 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Golisopod: 240-284 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Golisopod: 199-235 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Switch Golisipod into a predicted VoltTurn, then Emergency Exit out into Dugtrio.

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace

This set outspeeds non-Scarf Pheromosa, and OHKOs Phero, Koko, and Xurkitree, as well as putting a huge chunk in Genesect.

EDIT: I somehow forgot that Dugtrio can just switch directly into a Volt Switch, reducing the importance of Golisipod being able to live a Volt Switch. Still though, you're able to catch the slippery Pheromosa as soon as it shows its face, since you switch Golisipod into the inevitable U-Turn, then OHKO with Aerial Ace. True, it's dependent on Pheromosa running a Life Orb instead of a Sash or Scarf, but then again, Dugtrio wouldn't be able to corner the Sash without hazard damage, or the Scarf without Sticky Web support. After doing some more calcs, here's an alternate Golisipod spread:

Golisopod @ Rocky Helmet
Level: 72
Gentle Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def

Tapu Koko usually runs U-Turn over Volt Switch, and at level 72, a Golisipod with minimum Defense has this:

4 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Golisopod: 95-112 (50 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Rocky Helmet takes care of Focus Sash Pheromosa, but Golisipod just barely survives the U-Turn, and if the Pheromosa has a Life Orb, Golisipod won't survive. For specifically catching Pheromosa, use level 92.

248 Atk Pheromosa U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Golisopod: 120-142 (50 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

248 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Golisopod: 156-185 (65 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With a Rocky Helmet, both Sash and Life Orb are covered, though you'll still need a Sticky Web to corner the Scarfed ones.

Of course, you could always just bypass all the fancy calculations and just use this:

Wimpod @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wimp Out
Level: 1

That's two free switches right there. The downside is that literally the only other thing it can possibly do is revenge kill a Study or Focus Sash mon with Aqua Jet, and doing so would make you the biggest setup bait in the world.

Last edited:

I may have, but I'm also wondering if Eject Button affects E.Exit somehow since I'm usually testing a EJ set for jokes. I'll try some testing with the item later when my usual tester dude finally gets his butt online.

Since Volt Switch and U-Turn are common, and Emergency Exit blocks the switch, how about a set designed to counter VoltTurn?
The set looks good in paper but with that EV spread I assume you're going to lose a lot on either ATK or HP, basically making him a sitting duck only to get hit once and get a revenge kill, which honestly sounds like a slot waste. Also the IVs don't make that much sense to me. Why 0 Def?

Furthermore, you also need to take into account the fact that rocks take 25% HP from him, making half of those 2HKO scenarios OHKO ones, taking him out without fulfilling his role, or rather, simply dying and wasting a slot. I recognize the appeal of denying the volt switch / u-turn but I think it's rather gimmicky and makes him waste quite a bit of his potential. Still, I might be wrong about this, so if you find good results with this, share how it went.

So TL;DR: In my opinion, it might work provided you have good coverage, defog / rapid spin and a wish user that can help him do Emergency Exit a couple times, but I think that's way too many resources and a bit gimmicky. Still, it sounds fun.

I don't think you need to specifically build for stopping U-Turn/Volt Switch either. It's one of those options that can just open up in the flow of battle naturally, provided you play your Golisopod smartly. However, I feel that more defensive sets like Assault Vest or the spiker from the OP have an easier time pulling it off than the LO sets.

Golisopod @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpD
Gentle Nature
IVs: 24 HP / 0 Def

At full health, Emergency Exit will trigger from many popular VoltTurn users.

252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Golisopod: 142-169 (50 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Golisopod in Electric Terrain: 190-226 (66.9 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Xurkitree Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Golisopod: 240-284 (84.5 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Golisopod: 199-235 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Switch Golisipod into a predicted VoltTurn, then Emergency Exit out into Dugtrio.

Dugtrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace

This set outspeeds non-Scarf Pheromosa, and OHKOs Phero, Koko, and Xurkitree, as well as putting a huge chunk in Genesect.
For Volt turn, wouldn't it just make more sense to hard switch out into Dugrtio right away? He's unaffected so it shouldn't trigger swap anyways. I'd just use the golio for eating U-Turns in this case.

For Volt turn, wouldn't it just make more sense to hard switch out into Dugrtio right away? He's unaffected so it shouldn't trigger swap anyways. I'd just use the golio for eating U-Turns in this case.
Yeeaahhh... I realized that as I was getting ready for bed last night. The worst part is that I remembered that Volt Switch wouldn't work once Dugtrio was pivoted in, so I don't know how the thought of just going straight to Dugtrio evaded me. I've already edited my post, but I was ninja'd by you and a few other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)