Gurdurr [QC 3/3]

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Overview
#######
  • 105 base attack grants decent physical power.
  • Decent 85/85/50 bulk with eviolite boost allows Gurdurr to take at least one hit from anything not super effective.
  • Ability guts means that Gurdurr isn't crippled by burns and actually hits harder.
  • Access to Knock Off in gen 6 grants fantastic coverage for psychic and ghost types.
  • Reliable movepool with bulk up and priority in mach punch.
  • Low speed so outsped by mons such as Mesprit and Xatu which can revenge kill Gurdurr or switch in on a drain punch.
  • Despite fighting type Gurdurr hates Knock Off because it loses eviolite bulk.
  • Gurdurr can be worn down easily because it's only recovery is it's main STAB move and mediocre special defense.

Bulk Up
#############
Name: Bulk Up
Move 1: Bulk Up
Move 2: Drain Punch
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Mach Punch
Ability: Guts
Item: Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant

Moves
======
  • Bulk Up allows Gurdurr to hit incredibly hard and also set up on weaker physical attackers with it's already decent bulk.
  • Drain Punch justifies eviolite bulk by giving gurdurr some fairly reliable recovery.
  • Knock Off is fantastic coverage for mons such as Xatu and Spiritomb on the switch whilst also hurting anything that switches in by removing their item.
  • Mach Punch grants Gurdurr useful stab priority.
Set Details
=========
  • 252 HP / 252 Atk utilizes Gurdurr's nice bulk and powerful Atk stat to hit hard and take hits making Gurdurr a deadly set up sweeper.
  • A spread of 252 HP / 136+ Atk / 120 SpD can be preferred to allow Gurdurr to set up on certain special attackers easier such as Cryogonal.
  • Guts is the chosen ability to prevent Gurdurr being crippled by burns (and hence checked by Spiritomb)
  • Eviolite to give Gurdurr as much bulk as possible.
  • Adamant nature to utilize Gurdurr's high Atk stat.

Usage Tips
=========
  • Don't set up Gurdurr if your opponent has a fairy type or poison type like Vileplume on their team as these hard wall even a set up Gurdurr.
  • Your opponent will always switch straight into their Gurdurr check/counter so Knock-offing to predict this is always recommended.
  • Don't be afraid to let Gurdurr get burned, it'll only make you stronger and help you recover more HP with Drain Punch.
  • Since Gurdurr can be worn down easily it's advised that you don't switch Gurdurr in recklessly, even on things it can check.

Team Options
===========
  • You should be sure to bring support for fairy types, examples including Vileplume and Klinklang.
  • Support from psychic types such as a Mesprit for poison types that check Gurdurr like Muk, Garbodor and Vileplume.
  • T-wave support allows Gurdurr to outspeed many of it's checks and OHKO them such as Mesprit and Uxie.
  • Pawniard makes a good teammate for Gurdurr as it can wear down lots of Gurdurr's counters with Knock Off to a point where Gurdurr can KO them or it can straight out KO them with Iron Head like with Granbull.

Other Options
##########
  • Poison Jab is the only other option really to give you something to hit Slurpuff and Togetic, as well as Granbull but intimidate still hinders you. Gurdurr's set already works like clockwork so it's hard to find room for Poison Jab.
  • Ice Punch is nice to hit Vileplume harder but has the same problem as Poison Jab in finding room for it.
  • Iron Fist is an option but guts tends to be superior with Spiritomb in NU.
  • Stone Edge is worth a mention to catch out Pelipper and mons such as Vivillon that get a free switch in on a fighting move.
  • Taunt on Gurdurr is an option to stop clerics/defoggers and even for things like Dragalge that try to set up tspikes. For this it's worth trying to hit at least a 140 speed stat to outspeed relevant threats like Dragalge and Audino (at least 96 EV's).
Checks & Counters
#############
  • **Fairy types**: Gurdurr is hard countered by the majority of fairy types specifically Granbull which can switch in on any Drain Punch or Knock Off and 2HKO Gurdurr back with a Play Rough. 252+ Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gurdurr: 236-278 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Togetic also counters Gurdurr pretty easily: 4 SpA Togetic Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 168-198 (44.9 - 52.9%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO Slurpuff is a big issue for Gurdurr as it is complete set up fodder for both Belly Drum and Cotton Guard/Calm Mind variants of Slurpuff.
  • **Poison types**: such as Vileplume check Gurdurr (Vileplume can be classed as a counter as it will defeat Gurdurr one on one). Others such as Garbodor and Arbok simply check it.
  • **Offensive Checks**: Offensive psychic types that outspeed gurdurr can come in safely on a fighting move and OHKO it back such as Mesprit and Xatu. Furthermore, Vivillon and Rotom-S can similarly switch in safely and take advantage of Gurdurr's mediocre SpD stat.
  • **Offensive Pressure**: rather vaguely, any sort of offensive pressure that prevents Gurdurr from setting up and wears it down counters it, since Gurdurr needs time to set up before doing any real damage most of the time and with no reliable recovery except through it's main STAB, offensive pressure really stops this guy.

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
mention ice punch in set details to hit vileplume harder

iron fist in oo although guts is superior most of the time

bulky psychics such as uxie and mush in counters as they can tank knock off pretty well

pawnaird is a good teammate as it can wear down most of gurdurrs counters with knock off or striaght up beat them

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Add that Poison Jab hits Slurpuff in OO, which I think is more important than Granbull.

I would also mention a faster spread with Taunt in OO. Afro Smash was using that and apparently it worked well, and has more experience with it than me :] Hammer Arm with Iron Fist is kinda cool too.

Hammer Arm is very gimmicky, very rarely more useful than Drain Punch, though it can be powerful with Iron Fist. Ice Punch deserves a mention in OO being Gurdurr's best attack vs Poison types such as Vileplume + Dragalge, and flying types such as Vivillon, Togetic and Rotom-s . In fact I wouldn't be opposed to having an all out attacker set in:

Iron Fist
#############
Name: Iron Fist
Move 1: Ice Punch
Move 2: Drain Punch
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Mach Punch
Ability: Iron Fist
Item: Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant

Just hits far harder off the bat, which is especially useful for revenge killing with Mach Punch, and gets the benefit of Ice Punch coverage to punish common Flying/Posion type Checks that tend to switch in.

Stone Edge could also get a mention in OO for smacking around Pelipper and 4x weak mons such as Scyther and Masquerain that can freely switch in on Fighting atks.

Taunt is mostly a gimmick, however it can be useful to stop things like Dragalge setting up T Spikes, Tomb wisping you, Musharna setting up CM as a few examples. If you were to mention it, reccommend running at least 84 Spe EVs to creep base 50s.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I already have Ice Punch mentioned...

I'm not convinced an Iron Fist set deserves it's own set, unless you're suggesting just more in oo.

I'll give a mention to Stone Edge as that can have it's uses. And also a small mention to taunt.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi I know this has been checked but I have some stuff:
  • The Overview needs to list more cons, such as: it's a Fighting-type but hates Knock Off due to Eviolite, it's vulnerable to being worn down because of the fact that it's only recovery is its own STAB move, mediocre SpD, etc.
  • In Set Details, I would mention a more specially bulky spread of 252 HP / 136+ Atk / 120 SpD (that's the one I used at least) for checking stuff like Cryo better and setting up easier on certain special attackers.
  • I would note in Usage Tips that you generally shouldn't switch in Gurdurr recklessly, even against stuff it can check; it's easy to wear down so try to conserve its health if you can.
  • Your C&C needs to be expanded. Mention stuff like Vivillon and Rotom-S alongside Psychics and rename it to "Offensive checks" or something. I also wouldn't mind seeing something like "Offensive pressure" added, since just pummeling away at it with strong attacks is a good way to stop a sweep.

Cased

Banned deucer.
I've used Taunt Gurdurr a lot in both BW and XY NU and the main change is in Speed, I would hit 170 to outpace Roselia and Alomomola but for this generation I've found that it's best to only hit 140 in Speed since the relevant threats don't really outpace that.

[8/14/14, 7:49:59 PM] Afro Smash: also sg
[8/14/14, 7:50:05 PM] Afro Smash: cased was the run who ran taunt gurdurr

fuck sg

Posting in support for Taunt Gurdurr as a possible 4th moveslot in the OO. Clerics are either slow or weak to Gurdurr in general so if you run enough Speed in order to outpace 136 or a little bit more if you want to take speed creeps from anything into consideration. It's best used with Toxic Spikes in order to prevent clerics/defogs and things like that. It does deserve a mention due to the lack of Taunt Pokemon in the tier in order to prevent Defog so it's not just a random move on a random Pokemon to be "edgy or cool," it works and I can attest to that.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think you're supposed to write only after getting 3 QC checks

Anyway list some important KOs Gurdurr gets with entry hazard support, otherwise remove that point because everything likes entry hazard support.

In OO, does "hit 140 Speed" refer to the EVs or the actual Speed stat? If it's the former, make it clearer and if it's the latter, change it such that it talks in terms of EVs and not stats

After you change these tag me and I'll stamp

tehy

Banned deucer.
What's 136+/120 do specifically? I see it avoids the 2hko from lo cryo, anything else?

For usage tips i would combine the first two points, knock off if they have a fairy/poison (or even flying) until you get their item knocked.

Togetic is more about that stoss or np fblast life, though it still walls it forever and np or defogs.

If you knock bd puff as it comes in, drain+mach takes it down on the bd, or prevents one entirely on the play rough. (Almost always without rocks, always with them and you might not have to mach.)

Alternate spread time...anybody ever use CurseLax? Then you'll definitely recognize this EV spread

Roids (Gurdurr) @ Eviolite
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

200 Def/200 Sp.Def :P. With Eviolite becomes 300/300. Much easier to set up. And only 337 HP. Becuase it's an SR number...AND it allows you recover more % of HP with Drain Punch

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Alternate spread time...anybody ever use CurseLax? Then you'll definitely recognize this EV spread

Roids (Gurdurr) @ Eviolite
EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

200 Def/200 Sp.Def :P. With Eviolite becomes 300/300. Much easier to set up. And only 337 HP. Becuase it's an SR number...AND it allows you recover more % of HP with Drain Punch
Maybe your post would be more helpful if you tried reaching for relevant numbers (what 2HKOes does it avoid that standard Gurdurr cannot?) instead of trying to hit 'pretty numbers' like 200/200 or whatever.

Regardless, I checked your EV spread, and your spread of 104 HP / 184 SpD @ Careful takes special hits only extremely marginally better than the suggested 252 HP / 120 SpD @ Adamant spread.
252 SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 104 HP / 184+ SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 164-192 (48.66 - 56.97%) -- 94.14% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Eviolite Gurdurr: 177-211 (47.32 - 56.41%) -- 81.25% chance to 2HKO
220 Atk Gurdurr hits 301 Attack, while 136 Adamant Gurdurr hits 308 Attack.

In the end, your spread has less HP (for physical attackers) and Attack than 252 HP / 136 Atk / 120 SpD Adamant Gurdurr, meaning it is inefficient.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)