Hardest video game level/boss you've ever faced

The Materials Transfer Lift on Hard Mode of Metroid: Other M. First, you have to fight seven space pirates that can all kill you in two or three hits, and attack you constantly. You have to beat them by constantly dodging using the sense-move and then firing fully charged beam attacks at them. If you beat those space pirates, then you have to fight a spider boss that is extremely fast, can kill you in one or two hits, and is only vulnerable for a few seconds at a time.

Also, I would also wager that Colette is bar none the most annoying voice acting ever to have been done. "Sorry". "Oh, I'm sorry". OK I GET IT YOUR SORRY NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Apparently you never played ToS: Dawn of the New World. Your two protagonists are like 12, and constantly offending each other for some reason. So not only do they have annoying high-pitched kid voices, but they apologize to each other. A lot. EVERY SINGLE CUTSCENE. I wanted to kill them both. And I ended up doing it since I had to burn through life gels like crazy in that game, all because of a ridiculously bad AI.

Speaking of bad AI, I'll put a new game on the table, Mass Effect 1 on insane difficulty. Most of the the game that I played through is fine, but I chose to start a new character, as opposed to playing an existing one. Then I wanted to play an Adept, which is probably the squishiest class in the game until lvl 30 or so. THEN I needed to grab Liara to complete my "use asari teammate for the majority of the game" achievement, so I had to go to Artemis Tau first thing. The krogan fight at the end of the level is impossible unless you plan your party exactly right. You need to get to advanced throw with Shepard and Wrex, regardless of what you actually want to put points in, and you need to get advanced lift for Kaiden. Kill all the geth and the krogan will attack you. It'll be close, but your two pistol users and assault rifle guy should be able to burn away his health and keep immunity locked down while keeping up constant cooldown use.

Of course, it took me hours and multiple attempts to figure this out. Then I realized that Adepts are stupid and that I should jsut get my soldier to lvl 60 and transfer him over. Shock troopers with double med exoskeleton Xs can keep immunity up forever (the CD expires before the effect does) and be completely invulnerable in a room not filled with snipers or rocket launchers. It's broken in half.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can make that chapter (3-6) easy for you.

Tip 1) Don't use Aran. He's pretty bad period.
WHAT. No I love aran and people always tell me to use that whore nephenee over him and I never will.

Tip 2) Use Nolan w/Beastfoe. Tarvos and Crossbow combo is ridiculous to have.
Here's my problem with Beastfoe:

Nolan gets attacked by a cat, ohkos on counter.
Nolan gets attacked by another cat, ohkos on counter.
Nolan gets attacked by a tiger, dies.

I eventually did beat the chapter just by moving everyone into a corner and having Aran/Volug/Jill covering them until the BK got there, so yeah. I just don't like how fucking useless the dawn brigade is.

From Iji:
Ultimortal Max Charge General Tor on Turbo Mode.

More recently, I'd probably say the Hell Temple in La Mulana is one of the most aggravatingly hard levels of any video game I've ever played, approaching I Wanna Be The Guy-esque levels of facedesking.
Oh god at least you got that far.

I took an 8-month break because I didn't know the Keyblade could break a wall in the Tower of the Goddess.
So I scaled up the goddamn tower and broke it, then went into the Confusion Gate...
And the ladder puzzle trapped me.
Instant ragequit.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
most difficult game for me was propably Devil May Cry 3 especially that vampire bitch, i think it took me like a week to beat her (didn't used healing items though cause they are gay)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
WHAT. No I love aran and people always tell me to use that whore nephenee over him and I never will.
Use neither. Aran usually is crap because his Part 1 is mediocre and his Part 3 gets rocky as hell. Even when his durability gets to be impressive, he'll never get to doubling Speeds (he fails to double ARMOR KNIGHTS IN 3-12 FFS) and his Part 4 might as well be "rofl". Nephenee isn't great, but she's still better.
Problems with Nolan
Simple: Torch moar. Remember the swamp prevents laguz from moving very far; especially transformed.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah Touhou seems almost unfair to mention here since it's basically made to be insanely hard.

Anyway since someone brought up Tales of Symphonia, Kuchinawa was always a pain for me. I'm sure someone here's probably found that one really easy but even going combo+guard or dodge (not as easy to dodge as you'd think) isn't doing it. I guess it's easier if you can summon Undine somewhere in there but it's a pain either way.

Also Cynthia to me was less hard and more annoying. Milotic ugh...

I'm 100% sure I faced something way harder than this and I'm forgetting it now...

Edit: I loved Colette too, she has an annoying moment every once in a while but usually they make fun of that anyway.

Various parts of the God of War series on the hardest difficulties, like the Clone Battle in GoW1, the "Protect the Translator" in GoW2, and the goddamn Scorpion in GoW3.

Also, not really following the general theme of the topic but this is the "hardest" thing I've ever "beaten" in a game:

A few of the DB chapters in Radiant Dawn were hell. What a weak ass group of units.

Also, SMW has mostly pretty easy bosses. The Mario RPG bosses are all really easy once you learn their patterns, besides Bowser X in Inside Story. I HATE that battle.

Here's something else for you; Donkey Kong Country Returns, Temple levels on Mirror Mode. You've gotta get though a really long level, without the benefit of Diddy's hovering, and if you make one mistake it's over.

NOT fun.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
How can you hate the DB chapters? They are the only thing challenging about Radiant Dawn. Even on Hard Mode everything is a joke. 3-6 is one of my favorite Fire Emblem chapters ever. Nolan with Beastfoe supported with Edward just destroy everything even on Hard Mode. The hardest chapter for me, was 3-13 defend the castle. With Edward / Nolan / Sothe / Michaiah being my only really usable units, it was a pain to beat. Still quite fun though.

As for Shiro Tagachi in Guild Wars, Spoil Victor + Pain Inverter + Celestial Skills say what up. If you go with 7 heroes or henchmen then you cannot be banished, so its still quite easy on Hard Mode.

F-Zero GX Missions were pretty hard, but I was able to beat them on the highest setting. It actually took me the longest to beat the first mission on very hard setting (without snaking). Mission 7 is actually really fun.

The hardest technical fight in ToS was, for me, Abyssion. Most of the bonus fights in that game were pretty tough, but I remember Abyssion in particular because he either killed you in three hits or something ridiculous like that, or you used that one item that halved all damage dealt and the fight took like 45 minutes or something. Of course, the reward was worth it (the strongest weapons in the game, provided that your main team had racked up plenty of kills).

The first time you fought Sword Dancer was pretty bad too, as I recall it was impossible unless you ignored it completely then ran back around Palmacoasta through a little hole in the map before you sailed for the second half of the continent. I think I had to use a damage halver for the third time you fight him too, but at least Colette did double damage with angel spells.

My worst experience wasn't actually a boss fight, but a whole level. Final Fantasy II, the tower where you get the Ultima spell. There are these imp guys who cast a level 16 Confuse spell on you, which will cause all your party members who aren't super magic resistant to start bashing each other.

The main problem? These imps frequently appear in packs of 9.

Castlevania 1's Death level is really fun and pretty fair too, but it's probably the toughest thing I've actually beaten thus far. It's kind of a grind to make it to the room directly preceding the boss fight, and then it's a big grind to figure out how to consistently pass that room unscathed. And then you have to figure out the actual boss. Incidentally, I highly recommend that game.

Sonic 2's final boss is rather silly too. I don't know that I actually consider it terribly difficult, though-- it's a really basic boss fight that just happens to require rather extreme precision. But without savestates, it'd be like "why am I doing this?"

Oh, and I'm seconding Tubular in Super Mario World. I haven't played it since I was like 14, so "who knows," but that's probably been my biggest gaming roadblock to date.

Tubular still takes me 2-3 tries, even with a blue yoshi and cape. I don't think I've ever beaten it without being fully prepared either.

Bramble Scramble and Toxic Tower from DKC2 also always gave me trouble, but that was a long time ago.

Fuck Toxic Tower. That piece of shit was why I always turned on the 100% completion cheat for DKC2.

Oh and lol Bowser X, that guy is a complete joke. The only hard boss in BIS is Fawful with his stupid helmet thing.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Toxic Tower was dumb only because I didn't know, as a kid, you had to hold A to get the higher jump. Also, Tubular was pretty trolly, but so long as I can get a chance or two at it I can do it now.

Metroid fusion haha. I never had a problem with nightmare: when its face starts to melt you grab onto the wall and unload all of your missiles as it charges at you and it pretty much takes it out instantly. On the other hand I probably spent at least 5 hours trying to beat that spinning spider that picks you up and piledrives you.
I eventually did just that to Nightmare, but I didn't think it was a good idea at first because I felt like I was trapped on the wall when he got too close and I couldn't seem to jump all the way over him without getting hurt (Even though I was sure you could grab the wall there for a strategic reason).

And yeah that spider is an asshole, he takes, like 2 of your energy tanks every time he does that.

Mission 2 on Syphon Filter 2. When I was little I couldn't never get pass this because I would always get impatient, but I can get pass it with ease now.

I also had trouble with Jinpachi on Tekken 5, but after 20th time I had figured him out.

But Shao Kahn on MK9 is just insane, I haven't beaten him and I lost count after my 50th try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)