Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

it wouldn't matter as long as you go above 50, but it does if you're below. All stats will be reduced to what they would be at level 50.
Alright, thank you

I have a question for a moveset for Infernape

I have a Jolly nature and blaze Infernape and I already have a Choice Scarf Garchomp and Choice Specs Sylveon so I can't use Choice Band or Scarf on it.
I was wondering would a good moveset be close combat, flaze blitz, u-turn, mach punch?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have a Jolly nature and blaze Infernape and I already have a Choice Scarf Garchomp and Choice Specs Sylveon so I can't use Choice Band or Scarf on it.
I was wondering would a good moveset be close combat, flaze blitz, u-turn, mach punch?
U-Turn's not that useful on Infernape if you're not Choiced, so any random filler move is fine (maybe an elemental Punch). Also I don't see any reason why you can't use Choice Band or Scarf, there's no duplicate item clause unless you're playing in a real life tournament or something.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Yeah, that's a pretty good moveset with a Jolly nature - I'd go with a Life Orb since you already have 2 choiced pokemon.
Edit: elemental punches are nice too

U-Turn's not that useful on Infernape if you're not Choiced, so any random filler move is fine (maybe an elemental Punch). Also I don't see any reason why you can't use Choice Band or Scarf, there's no duplicate item clause unless you're playing in a real life tournament or something.
But isn't 3 Choiced user not good for a team?

But isn't 3 Choiced user not good for a team?
It's kinda up to your playstyle, some people run multiple Choiced users exactly because people don't expect it. Life Orb is a decent item as well as mentioned above.

EDIT: Minus raises a good point.

Minudit: You bet I do ;)

Also I have one more question for my team. Also I know I can use the RTM which I am actually currently doing, but I don't want to get exploded on there for my Chansey EV's

I have my Chansey EV's as 252 hp and 252 SpD - Should I reset my HP and put those EV's into Defense?

Also I have one more question for my team. Also I know I can use the RTM which I am actually currently doing, but I don't want to get exploded on there for my Chansey EV's

I have my Chansey EV's as 252 hp and 252 SpD - Should I reset my HP and put those EV's into Defense?
252 Defense EVs are generally preferred. You could check in the calculator if you wish to put some HP EVs to live/not be 2HKOed by specific attacks. Also, once you've finalized your team somewhat and have a good description, the Team Raters are very helpful so I wouldn't worry about people exploding on you :)

252 Defense EVs are generally preferred. You could check in the calculator if you wish to put some HP EVs to live/not be 2HKOed by specific attacks. Also, once you've finalized your team somewhat and have a good description, the Team Raters are very helpful so I wouldn't worry about people exploding on you :)
Alright, so should I get some berries to get rid of all my HP ev's since a reset bag would reset all of them and I already have 252 invested in SpD

Alright, so should I get some berries to get rid of all my HP ev's since a reset bag would reset all of them and I already have 252 invested in SpD
Up to you, if you have the berries to spare go for the berries. Otherwise resetting all your EVs and just retraining is probably faster, because you'll have to grow more berries (which is time-consuming).

Up to you, if you have the berries to spare go for the berries. Otherwise resetting all your EVs and just retraining is probably faster, because you'll have to grow more berries (which is time-consuming).
Ok thank you. Fortunantly I was just trying to get a reset bag as I was typing the last comment and I got it my first try

Ok thanks for the reply black, I guess I don't know much about different battles. Is the OU one the best as far as how the tourneys and mlg type setting, where the doubles, vgr, and ubers are allowed but no legendarys are just more like a side thing.

I want to build a great wall/tank team with the most competitive-like battle style. Big tanks that use toxic and seismic toss among other things while just being hard as hell to kill.

Appreciate it!

Ok thanks for the reply black, I guess I don't know much about different battles. Is the OU one the best as far as how the tourneys and mlg type setting, where the doubles, vgr, and ubers are allowed but no legendarys are just more like a side thing.

I want to build a great wall/tank team with the most competitive-like battle style. Big tanks that use toxic and seismic toss among other things while just being hard as hell to kill.

Appreciate it!
Well, the different tiers in the smogon metagame(the one primarily used on this site) are based on usage stats with OU or Overused being the most used pokemon,then after a usage percent cutoff a pokemon is considered UU or UnderUsed, then after another cutoff it is RU. Then NU or never used. Ubers is a ban list and for OU and each respective tier has thier own ban list. Tier are also other rules for the general smogon singles tiers witch some of are here : http://www.smogon.com/xyhub/tiers(this is a little outdated but has some of the big rules on it). Keep in mind all these tier are 6v6 singles pokemon at time matchups(like most of the matches in the game)

Another type of metagame is doubles witch is two pokemon at a time(a double battle in game). We have smogon doubles here witch follow the smogon rule-sets in a doubles format. Then there is VGC witch is the official Nintendo sponsored tier is played in a double battle format with a ruleset very different from smogons own. VGC is what the big offline Nintendo sponsored tournaments use. I know primarily about singles so if you are interested in doubles or VGC, you will have to find another person to answer your questions. But in singles chansey with evolite and Blissey can be a very solid tank you can also play around with things like heatran,skarmory, and Mega-sableye(is crazy good a stalling). But also keep in mind stats as well as some tanks can not take physical hits very well and other don't take special hits very well.

If have another questions feel free to PM me or continue asking here. Also if you need to learn about competitive battling as a whole you can use the Battle 101 program ( http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/battling-101.42/ ) or the mentorship programs help form( http://www.smogon.com/mentorship/help ). Hope that helped :)

Is blaze Emboar can have any use? I try to breed a shiny one for 5 days, hatched over 2500 eggs and now i got three shiny, two with perfect iv spread (miss sp.atk) and all have Blaze. I'm very tired and broken now so i wonder if they can still work without their HA at all?

Is blaze Emboar can have any use? I try to breed a shiny one for 5 days, hatched over 2500 eggs and now i got three shiny, two with perfect iv spread (miss sp.atk) and all have Blaze. I'm very tired and broken now so i wonder if they can still work without their HA at all?
Well considering we only recently got the HA ability of Emboar (currently only available in Japan/trade from Japanese player), I'd say it's fine.

Thanks black, I should probably wait til I actually have the game and have all the badges before really diving into this, but just basically getting a good tank idea.
Also I do want singles and no legendaries, and I'm not too interested in this sites list rather the basic one they have ingame without legendaries. Idk much about that yet though.

Do you prefer Chansey with Evolite or just Blissey with leftovers? What's better?

Appreciate your replies

Thanks black, I should probably wait til I actually have the game and have all the badges before really diving into this, but just basically getting a good tank idea.
Also I do want singles and no legendaries, and I'm not too interested in this sites list rather the basic one they have ingame without legendaries. Idk much about that yet though.

Do you prefer Chansey with Evolite or just Blissey with leftovers? What's better?

Appreciate your replies
It's preference actually, Blissey can beat Gengar and Landorus while Chansey can't so unless you struggle with those threats I'd recommend Chansey.

This is a question about Pokemon Global link

According to the Global Link "If your birthdate or location are incorrect, you may be disqualified from Online Competitions". At the time I was living in a different country, so of course I'd put that on my trainer club profile. The thing is I've moved to the U.S. since then, so now the country listed in my trainer club profile is completely wrong. I tried asking support if they could help but it's been days and no reply as of yet.

While my trainer club profile has the wrong country my game's is correct, does this mean I can still participate in Online competitions?

If all else fails I'm thinking of deleting my account and creating a new one, but if I remove my AS from Global Link what happens to my Pokemiles?

Thanks!

i looked online just now and I couldn't find the answer. the best way probably to find out would to record your pokemon's stats before and after the exercise thing and then see the difference with the serebii calculator.
I took the long route and used a Reset bag, each exercise is 30 ev points. So 5 exercises give 150 ev and if you use vitamins before the exercises are applied you get 250. Ev training in Hoenn is so easy! Hoenn is no Kalose though. I never felt so broke in a pokemon game.

Have you ever heard of Pokemon Showdown? It's Smogon's battling simulator. The best way to learn more is to dive right in. I'm assuming you're trying to learn OU? You should check out the viability rankings thread to see which Pokemon are better than others within that tier.
High there, I am new to smogon and while not new to competitive play I am still lacking a proper guidance. Are tutor sign ups only the beginning of each month? Is Showdown the only source of practice?

High there, I am new to smogon and while not new to competitive play I am still lacking a proper guidance. Are tutor sign ups only the beginning of each month? Is Showdown the only source of practice?
Tutor signups arre given in the Battling 101 schedule. If a tutor hasn't been assigned for the round (this will be mentioned at the end of signups), you can ask one of the Battling 101 Leaders to pair you up with that tutor ^_^ hope this helped!

How does one sign up for the real VGC championships, do i have to participate in another tournoment our what do i have to do?
EDIT - Also whats the format of VGC15?

Last edited:
I really want to learn RNGing so I can get legit shiny legendaries :D
I've got an unused HGSS and I decided to try on that. I think I understand the main things I need to watch out for during my playthrough (don't kill roamers and Gyarados)
However, how am I supposed to find out Gyarados' IVs without saving? (what's the quickest way to do it)

I've got a question regarding legendaries for competitive use: How do I get legendaries with somewhat perfect IVs and maybe even the right Hidden Power?
I know about the thing with synchronize and about the 3 perfect IVs legends nowadays have ... but I still don't manage to get perfect IVs on my legends without resetting like a thousand times because the chances are still way too low. But I always see experienced battlers use legendaries. So do they RNG (or cheat) or do they just use legends without completely perfect IVs or is there some trick I don't know?

I've got a question regarding legendaries for competitive use: How do I get legendaries with somewhat perfect IVs and maybe even the right Hidden Power?
I know about the thing with synchronize and about the 3 perfect IVs legends nowadays have ... but I still don't manage to get perfect IVs on my legends without resetting like a thousand times because the chances are still way too low. But I always see experienced battlers use legendaries. So do they RNG (or cheat) or do they just use legends without completely perfect IVs or is there some trick I don't know?
This is pretty much the reason why ubers is mostly played on showdown. Otherwise it's pretty much the ways you mentioned. Sr a lot (i honestly don't think a lot of poeple do that), cheat or rng.
Cloning is also an option. With poeple sometimes catching crazy ivs, they will often clone them and share them with others. With generation showdown, there are poeple offering these clones without asking for anything in return (pokecommunity is awesome!)

This is pretty much the reason why ubers is mostly played on showdown. Otherwise it's pretty much the ways you mentioned. Sr a lot (i honestly don't think a lot of poeple do that), cheat or rng.
Cloning is also an option. With poeple sometimes catching crazy ivs, they will often clone them and share them with others. With generation showdown, there are poeple offering these clones without asking for anything in return (pokecommunity is awesome!)
Thanks ... even though it's not the answer I hoped to hear.
It's a shame that there is no other way since I'm no fan of showdown, cheating is no option (same as with showdown: it just doesn't feel like it's "my" Pokemon if I get it without any effort) and RNG isn't even possible in gen 6 as far as I know. Well, I guess I'll have to stick with soft resetting and then battling with not entirely perfect pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)