Pokémon Hawlucha

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after a bit of testing, I can safely say never run fly. I have always been told that its an awful move, and it is only viable in game. And yeah it is. But some people said that it was viable so I tried it out. What I noticed happening was that most of the time hawlucha would have done much more damage just attacking twice than wasting a turn going up in the air and giving the opponent a chance to switch out into something that can take a fly and retaliate back, oh yeah and fly can actually MISS and when you miss it can suck. One incident was that the opponent had a celebi that was below 50%. I flew in the air, dodged the incoming psychic, my opponent stayed in because he was foddering it off since he thought that celebi was not going to be useful against the rest of my team so he could get a safe switch in. I missed, Hawlucha ended up dying to a psychic and I ended up looking like a pleb. He asked me dude why are you using fly? And honestly I asked myself the same question.

Yeah don't use fly.
Heh.

Like I said, the only thing that can afford to use Fly is Golurk. And only on cartridge.

While I understand that the move is vastly outclassed by the other STAB moves...could you plausibly run FlyingPress, as its covers both STABs, to perhaps make room for a filler move? I would run HoneClaws with this but clearly you can do this with HJK and SkyAttack/Acrobatics.

You could run FlyingPress/HoneClaws/StoneEdgeand a filler whether it be SteelWing or just Roost for HP. I know its a long shot for being mediocre compared to the normal sets but just asking.

Press has strange resist interactions. You'd basically be selling off smacking around Steels and Rocks (and the odd bug) for an extra moveslot. I don't think it very wise.

While I understand that the move is vastly outclassed by the other STAB moves...could you plausibly run FlyingPress, as its covers both STABs, to perhaps make room for a filler move? I would run HoneClaws with this but clearly you can do this with HJK and SkyAttack/Acrobatics.

You could run FlyingPress/HoneClaws/StoneEdgeand a filler whether it be SteelWing or just Roost for HP. I know its a long shot for being mediocre compared to the normal sets but just asking.
No, I don't think it's a great idea. Flying Press is a cool novelty move, but Hawlucha's main niche would be Acrobatics + Power Herb/Berry (Flying Gem in the future). But otherwise, it just can't keep up with the fighting type Competition in OU. Mega Lucario, Terrakion, and though it's fallen from it's days of glory, Keldeo all have the stats to back it up.

I guess it cold also serve an odd niche in a VoltTurn team with it's speed, but Infernape and Mienshao still give it heavy competition.

Flying Press only gets fighting stab. And if it hits a steel type it will only do neatrual because if it resits one if the types it will resit.

Those stats are a bit underwhelming, but this thing can wreck with a Chesto-Rest set. With what is listen I'm thinking.

Hawlucha@Chesto Berry
Unburden
EVs (Depending on its speed with Unburden it only needs enough to outrun, say, base 120 with scar but that depends on the meta. Focus on HP and SpD)
~ Bulk Up
~ Acrobatics
~ Rest
~ Flying Press/Fighting Move/Substitute

This is sort of a reverse Conkeldurr but with better coverage. Bulk Up to get great offense and defensive levels, then Rest to heal off and activate both Acrobatics and Unburden. Roost is viable too but Rest can alleviate status. Getting a better understanding of this guy's base stats and move pool will allow for a finer tuned set. You could potentially also just opt for Acrobatics and brute force your way through a team with Substitute and Bulk Up. Flying fortunately has no immunities.

This thing has awesome design I hope we find some utility.
While he's fast i can't see this doing too much on account of his low bulk. While he can no doubt take at least 1 physical attack. Not by anything with noteable power. I can't really see him getting an OU look. but i can see him crushing RU or UU

While he's fast i can't see this doing too much on account of his low bulk. While he can no doubt take at least 1 physical attack. Not by anything with noteable power. I can't really see him getting an OU look. but i can see him crushing RU or UU
He will probably crush in RU or UU simply by virtue of Fighting/Flying being such an excellent STAB combination. His only major hardcounters are Talonflame and Aegislash, and both are pretty solidly OU.

He will probably crush in RU or UU simply by virtue of Fighting/Flying being such an excellent STAB combination. His only major hardcounters are Talonflame and Aegislash, and both are pretty solidly OU.
I see what you mean but when it comes down to it. Other OUs do what he does, only better (Tflame, Conkledurr) except of course the dual type attack! haha

Hawlucha is a Pokémon that I feel benefits from the increased popularity of Knock Off. It resists the move, and getting hit by it activates Unburden. If you have an Unburden Hawlucha on your team, it might make your opponent a lot more hesitant that they would have been to sling around such an otherwise spammable move.

Heres a set I use.

Hawlucha @RedCard
80 hp/ 252 atk / 176 spe
Adamant
-High Jump Kick
-Acrobatics
-Stone Edge
-Hone Claws/Swords Dance

The main idea of this set is to get up a hone claws/swords dance (accuracy VS power) hopefully live a hit with hawluchas mediocre bulk and 80 hp which activates red card which then activates unburden allowing you to get up an awesome sweep.
The problem is the emphasis on the "hopefully live a hit". If it does i would say yes, thats good coverage along with nice speed/attack. But the bulk it carries make it an incredibly risky play.

Hawlucha is a Pokémon that I feel benefits from the increased popularity of Knock Off. It resists the move, and getting hit by it activates Unburden. If you have an Unburden Hawlucha on your team, it might make your opponent a lot more hesitant that they would have been to sling around such an otherwise spammable move.
Add to that, if you can predict the Knock Off, you get a nice boosted STAB Acrobatics out of it.

It's situational, but it would make Hawlucha a nice switch in partner for Pokemon like Eviolite Chansey/Doublade.

Here are some damage calcs against some physically bulky Pokemon that are currently OU using the current Attack stat (which is actually confirmed to be exact now from multiple people catching hawlucha and comparing stats iirc) to try and get a feel for Hawlucha's power. All damage calculations will be at +2 and assuming a Jolly nature, Calcs also include both Flying Gem Acrobatics and non Flying Gem Acrobatics.

Vs Hippowdon

+2 252 Atk Flying Gem Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 273-322 (65 - 76.66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 214-253 (50.95 - 60.23%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.57 - 51.42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Vs Skarmory

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 190-225 (58.1 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Forretress

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 190-225 (53.67 - 63.55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 160-190 (45.19 - 53.67%) -- 1.95% chance to 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Flying Gem Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 241-285 (68.07 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Vs Landorus-T

+1 252 Atk Flying Gem Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 289-342 (75.85 - 89.76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 195-229 (51.18 - 60.1%) -- 89.06% chance to 2HKO

So what do you think? does +2 Hawlucha's damage output look impressive, decent, or underwhelming?

As for getting Brave Bird, that seems like it'll be a decent option on Hawlucha. At first it might seem like Acrobatics is better because of Unburden and the recoil Brave Bird causes, but having a powerful Flying-type STAB Outside of Acrobatics gives Hawlucha the ability to hold another item such as a Life Orb or Lum Berry, the former of which increases its damage output pretty significantly despite the recoil. Just take a look at how much a +2 Life Orb Hi Jump Kick does to hippowdon o_O.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Hawlucha Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 278-329 (66.19 - 78.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Thats a little more than even a Flying Gem Acrobatics!
Those calculations seem pretty impressive to me, 2HKO on Skarmory is definitely cool, I thought Skarm could wall it all day

I see a lot of talk about Brave Bird, but personally Acrobatics is 100% more reliable. Paired with Unburden and Flying Gem it wrecks as it gets it's speed doubles and doesn't get 33% recoil from brave bird. Especially considering it isn't very bulky... After a brave bird it's essentially OHKO'd by most OU Pokemon.

Also, although Aegislash does exist, it doesn't rule out the fact that there's a switch button. If you see Aegi on a team, try kill it first. It saves getting recoil damage from Hi-Jump-Kick. Haha

I see a lot of talk about Brave Bird, but personally Acrobatics is 100% more reliable. Paired with Unburden and Flying Gem it wrecks as it gets it's speed doubles and doesn't get 33% recoil from brave bird. Especially considering it isn't very bulky... After a brave bird it's essentially OHKO'd by most OU Pokemon.
First it doesn't even get Brave Bird. Second Flying Gem and Fighting Gem are currently unaviable, which means you have to resort of sheneanigans like Power Herb Sky Attack, Sitrus Berry or Red Card to trigger Unburden and Acrobatics.

On the subject of triggering Unburden, what about Kee Berries and Maranga Berries? They trigger upon taking a physical or special attack (respectively) to boost the user's defense. Now, Hawlucha doesn't really care about the defense boost itself, but this would allow him to trigger Unburden and the damage boost to Acrobatics as soon as he switches in, with the right prediction.

On the subject of triggering Unburden, what about Kee Berries and Maranga Berries? They trigger upon taking a physical or special attack (respectively) to boost the user's defense. Now, Hawlucha doesn't really care about the defense boost itself, but this would allow him to trigger Unburden and the damage boost to Acrobatics as soon as he switches in, with the right prediction.
Wrassleburd doesn't like taking hits; he's definitely like other Flying-types in that regard. Most of the Unburden abuse tactics that have been posted here are focused around finding some way to trigger it without exposing Hawlucha to an attack, like Sub/Red Card or Power Herb Sky Attack.

It wouldn't be that bad, mind; taking a hit while you SD, for example, would work if you were sure it wouldn't 1HKO or leave you vulnerable to priority revenge kills.

omgilovehawluchasomuch

besides the fangirling, hawlucha is a decent pokemon, that would be 200x better if we ACTUALLY GOT FLYING GEM

also hi jump kick is pretty

Wrassleburd doesn't like taking hits; he's definitely like other Flying-types in that regard. Most of the Unburden abuse tactics that have been posted here are focused around finding some way to trigger it without exposing Hawlucha to an attack, like Sub/Red Card or Power Herb Sky Attack.

It wouldn't be that bad, mind; taking a hit while you SD, for example, would work if you were sure it wouldn't 1HKO or leave you vulnerable to priority revenge kills.
Sorry, but I'm not sure of the terminology. "SD"?

And yeah, taking an actual hit is not a great situation, though it could be mitigated somewhat if you predict an attack that Hawlucha resists. Hm... wait, can the Kee Berry trigger if the attack hits a Substitute? Wait, that's basically just the Red Card strategy.

Anyway, I agree that Flying Gem, if we ever get it again, is the ideal, here.

omgilovehawluchasomuch

besides the fangirling, hawlucha is a decent pokemon, that would be 200x better if we ACTUALLY GOT FLYING GEM

also hi jump kick is pretty
I still say that the itemless Limber and even Mold Breaker sets should not be discounted. Mold Breaker is one of the best offensive abilities in the game; being able to ignore Multiscale, Unaware, Magic Bounce (for Encore), Sturdy, Filter...

I mean, dude.

+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Aggron: 320-378 (93 - 109.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Sorry, but I'm not sure of the terminology. "SD"?
Swords Dance.

I still say that the itemless Limber and even Mold Breaker sets should not be discounted. Mold Breaker is one of the best offensive abilities in the game; being able to ignore Multiscale, Unaware, Magic Bounce (for Encore), Sturdy, Filter...

I mean, dude.

+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Aggron: 320-378 (93 - 109.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Swords Dance.
Yeah, but what moves does it have for D-nite?

(And also damn hawlucha, aggron got nothing on ya.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)