HGSS Megaspeculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Most likely, since they could just use the same sprite for both surfing and following, obviously only for those who learn Surf.
Likely won't happen unless they designed it only for certain few (Lapras, Kyogre, maybe Wailord, etc), because movesets are not set in stone. For all we know there might be a future promotion - an Unown with Surf or something. Plus, Surfing on a Zigzagoon looks ridiculous.

I think they'll use a generic surfing sprite. I don't know what that'll be though, since Gen 2 is the only generation whose Surfing sprite actually looks like a Pokemon

IF they made it so you could have any Pokemon follow you
Groudon, anyone?

Anyways, speaking of sprites, do you think the Daycare will once more allow you to visit your Pokemon?

Likely won't happen unless they designed it only for certain few (Lapras, Kyogre, maybe Wailord, etc), because movesets are not set in stone. For all we know there might be a future promotion - an Unown with Surf or something. Plus, Surfing on a Zigzagoon looks ridiculous.

I think they'll use a generic surfing sprite. I don't know what that'll be though, since Gen 2 is the only generation whose Surfing sprite actually looks like a Pokemon

Groudon, anyone?

Anyways, speaking of sprites, do you think the Daycare will once more allow you to visit your Pokemon?
The other generations' surf looks like Wailmer, IMO.

I always thought that was interesting, but looking back GSC's Daycare was puuny. I hope they make it pretty big like RSE/DPPt's.

So has anyone pre-planned their teams yet?

I think I'm going with: Typhlosion / Slowbro* / Ursaring / Victreebel / Murkrow** / Heracross***

*Or Slowking, I dunno. I remember the King's Rock is gotten in the extra portion of the Slowpoke Well but if it is too late in the game (I'm not going to carry around Slowpoke forever, and I want a Water-type).
**I really hope Honchkrow is avaible during the game. If not I am possibly going to change this to Scizor.
***If Heracross is a total bitch to catch like in DPPt (read: 5% catch rate in honey trees) I'll use Tyranitar. If Larvitar is post-game only again, then Quagsire. Maybe Dragonite, too.

I'm might just drop something for Octillery or Laturn, but we'll see. I'm trying to use as many Gen II pokemon, so I'm avoiding using any more then 2 Gen I pogeys (sorry Dragonite >:).

Yeah I am planning my team by replaying Silver. I tend to just use the first 6 that catch my eye. So:

Meganium/Spearow/Onix/Togetic/Slowbro/Arbok

or something along those lines. I'm not even sure if that team would be able to learn all the HM's needed.

Probably, due to the difficulty with things like Steelix and Magikarp following the trainer, only certain Pokemon will be able to follow you. Think Amity Square-style, with more choices. On a related note, the ability for Pokemon to follow you would probably mean that there aren't places where you team up with another trainer and go through a dungeon with them. You couldn't have two things following you at once, unless teaming up with another trainer made the Pokemon stop following you.

Wishy:
So has anyone pre-planned their teams yet?
Of course! I absolutely can't wait for this remake, all the days I spent watching my friends play Gold and Silver when I was little....
Anyways, being a tad more planning then my buds, I think I'll have to go with:

Typhlosion (best Johto starter IMO, and can use coverage moves [move tutor Thunderpunch please])

Lanturn (Absolute fave pokemon, love started when my buddy ran into one long ago)

Skarmory (In case of emergency)

Furret (HM Slave, anyone)

Red Gyarados (obviously)

Seriously though, an ingame always-obtainable shiny would be so cool. I fortell several days resetting for a good Adamant one... I hope Skarmory isn't too much of a devil to catch.

Lanturn following me around everywhere? Yes please.

*explodes from nostalgia and excitement*

The team I'd probably use, and this is without looking at version exclusives:

Typhlosion
Kingdra
Fearow
Sandslash
Ampharos
Ariados

Those are the 6 I set my eyes on. Ofcourse, its easy to vary a bit.

I am psyched for more information on this,

as for team, it just depends on what pokemon are allowed, but it'll probably be like FR/LG and just allow what was allowed during the original, but one things for sure, Feraligatr ftw!!

anywho, anybody thought about the possibility of Extremespeed Dratini returning( I know its early, really early, but who knows)???

I am psyched for more information on this,

as for team, it just depends on what pokemon are allowed, but it'll probably be like FR/LG and just allow what was allowed during the original, but one things for sure, Feraligatr ftw!!

anywho, anybody thought about the possibility of Extremespeed Dratini returning( I know its early, really early, but who knows)???
Yeah, ES Dratini has been talked about a bit here. I like to have more Special based Water types for ingame because Water types are Surf slaves and Surf is special based and is no doubt the best HM.

I have a box load of untrained Pokemon I'm might use...I hope Mareep are still in Heart Gold.

GOt my team all planned out:

Typhlosion
Victreebel
Togetic/Togekiss
Weezing
Qwilfish
Dunsparce

BOY I can't wait for these games to be released I am so pumped for these games I can't even bother to use punctuation except for the apostrophes in the word can't no I can't even be bothered to do teh quotation marks sorry if this seems spammy I am THAT psyched for these games I wanted GS remakes for so long and they're finally coming!

Overworld sprites have never been drawn in shiny color schemes before.

Not impossible, but don't get your hopes up. Most people don't even have any legitimate shinies.
They haven't until now, there's that shiny Pichu sprite for the Ilex Forest event.

Originally in GSC, shinies had set IVs. I believe 10s (on the old 0-15 system) for everything except attack which had about 8 options. I'm curious if they'll do a similar thing for the guaranteed shiny gyarados and baseline it at 20/21 across the board.

At least now people wont spend hours trying to beat tin tower or the ice cave since the internet is good enough that you can just look it up. Im sure people are gonna beat hgss much faster now.

My team

feraligatr
lugia
raikou
entei
dodrio
rhydon(or rhyperior)

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I really hope that the Berserk Gene does come back (it probably will), because that will definitely open the door for some pokemon that are UU. But, I'm wondering, is Berserk Gene a one-time use, or does it just work as soon as the pokemon comes out and keep on working throughout the battle? Pokemonelite2000 says that it's a one-time use, but no other site says so, but I'm still not sure.

If it's not a one-time use, Own Tempo pokemon will become awesome. Purugly would be a mean lategame sweeper, and Lickilicky would become a very powerful Curser. An offensive Belly Drum Smeargle would actually become viable (it'd be even stronger than Linoone). I'm assuming that it doesn't count as a regular stat boost (ie. like a CB boost), but if not, Purugly would still be deadly.

Although I do like Purugly, I doubt that Berserk Gene will be included. Why should it be? It was just a random item found in Cerulean iirc. Not exactly worth adding in the middle of a generation (and therefor making the item untradeable to previous games).

I also doubt Pokemon that aren't your starter will be able to follow you. It would look stupid having a Steelix sprite and a Hoppip sprite looking almost the same size as they follow you. Not to mention Steelix slithers, which is another reason against all Pokemon following you; different Pokemon move differently. Some fly, some levitate, some walk, some slither, some swim, some hop, some don't move (cocoons), some teleport. It'll be Amity Square style or starters only.

I'm interested to see how the Red Gyarados' overworld sprite will be handled this time.

I'm liking this idea.

This means we will most like see a change of sprites for the Jhoto pokemon.

I hope the new scizor looks even better.

Being able to catch the Dogs, and Lugia, and Ho-Oh again will be awesome.

I wonder is you will be able to go back to Kanto like in Crystal.

This will be awesome!

Bologo: As far as I remember, Berserk gene wasn't just 1 time use in GSC, so if the mechanics hold, it'll be a awesome for purugly.

I really hope they keep the free egg with a 50% chance of a shiny. That would be great! Although that was probably included because it was new...
That was only in Crystal, wasn't it?
They'll definitely have an overworld sprite for the Red Gyarados, at the very least.
They did have one for GSC IIRC.
Although I do like Purugly, I doubt that Berserk Gene will be included. Why should it be? It was just a random item found in Cerulean iirc. Not exactly worth adding in the middle of a generation (and therefor making the item untradeable to previous games).

I also doubt Pokemon that aren't your starter will be able to follow you. It would look stupid having a Steelix sprite and a Hoppip sprite looking almost the same size as they follow you. Not to mention Steelix slithers, which is another reason against all Pokemon following you; different Pokemon move differently. Some fly, some levitate, some walk, some slither, some swim, some hop, some don't move (cocoons), some teleport. It'll be Amity Square style or starters only.

I'm interested to see how the Red Gyarados' overworld sprite will be handled this time.
I guess they would have to be one tile in size, so that you can fit through narrow paths that are only as wide as your player. I'd like to have others follow, but I think you're right that it will be just the starters.
Bologo: As far as I remember, Berserk gene wasn't just 1 time use in GSC, so if the mechanics hold, it'll be a awesome for purugly.
I very clearly remember it being a one-time use item, like the White Herb and berries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)