Hippowdon

Bloo

Banned deucer.

Hippowdon

Even though Hippowdon remained virtually unchanged through the transition of DPP and B&W, the hippo will likely find itself fulfilling a unique niche in the Gen. V metagame. If you're wondering why this is so, read further down this thread! This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the Pokémon competitively. I'd like to hear how successful you guys think Hippowdon will fare in B&W and all that jazz. Anyway, happy discussing!

Code:
[B][SIZE=2]#450: Hippowdon[/SIZE][/B]

[B]Abilities:[/B]

[B]Sand Stream:[/B] Sandstorm blows when the Pokémon enters battle.

[B]Dream World Ability:[/B]
[B]
Sand Strength:[/B] Certain moves will increase in power during a sandstorm. 

[B]Base Stats:[/B]
HP: 108
Attack: 112
Defense: 118
Special Attack: 68
Special Defense: 72
Speed: 47

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]

Lv1: Ice Fang
Lv1: Fire Fang
Lv1: Thunder Fang
Lv1: Tackle
Lv1: Sand-Attack
Lv1: Bite
Lv1: Yawn
Lv7: Bite
Lv13: Yawn
Lv19: Take  Down
Lv19: Dig
Lv25: Sand Tomb
Lv31: Crunch
Lv40: Earthquake
Lv50: Double-Edge
Lv60: Fissure
[B]
Learnable TMs:[/B] 

TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM32 - Double Team
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM78 - Smooth  Over
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Rock  Smash
HM04 - Strength

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]

Stockpile
Swallow
Spit Up
Curse
Slack off
Body Slam
Sand Tomb
Revenge
Sleep Talk
Whirlwind
Hippowdon doesn't get any cool new toys to play with in Gen. 5 if you browse through the above, so let's take a closer look at what makes Hippowdon such an interesting Pokémon in B&W!

• Sandstream
    Many of you are aware that sandstorm teams will likely see a spike in use due to the arrival of several B&W 'mons that can take advantage of sandstream due to new abilities such as Sand Throw and Sand Strength. Two notable Pokémon that have access to the aforementioned abilities include Doryuuzu, who has both, and Randorosu, who can only use Sand Strength. In order to activate these abilities, sand needs to be in play, which is where Hippowdon comes into play. Hippowdon is the only Pokémon able to set up a permanent sandstorm, along with Tyranitar, of course. Hippo's sandstream also helps Rock-types like Terakion. With this mind, players have the option of calling forth Hippowdon in order to get a sandstorm brewing. Even though Hippowdon has to compete with Tyranitar for the title of "best sandstream user" this Generation, I can definitely see Hippo giving Tyranitar a run for its money, for reasons which I will state next.
  • Access to Slack Off & great defensive stats
    With the slew of new powerful physical attackers in B&W, Hippowdon's excellent Defense and mammoth HP stats will serve it will. Access to reliable recovery in Slack Off is also a huge plus, seeing as it allows Hippowdon to take multiple onslaughts without getting worn down quickly.
  • Stealth Rock & Roar (Hippowdon also has Whirlwind now)
    With the decrease in Stealth Rock users in B&W, Hippowdon is lucky to have retained the move. We all know Stealth Rock is an excellent move, and Hippowdon's more than capable of setting it up for reasons most of you are aware of. Hippowdon's always been an all-star phazer, and I hope the same remains true for Generation. V. Being able to force threatening 'mons out of the field is always a great asset.
With that out of the way, I imagine Hippowdon's main set will remain as it did in DPP:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sandstream
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
-Earthquake
-Slack Off
-Stealth Rock
-Roar

Pretty straightforward moveset. Earthquake is obligatory STAB for taking on fearsome threats such as Doryuuzu and numerous others. The EVs maximize Hippo's defensive capabilities and enable it to take on the various physical threats of B&W to its fullest ability. You could invest less in Defense and more in Special Defense depending on how the Gen V. shapes up.

Feel free to post your thoughts!

If Tyranitar is used to bring in Sandstorm Hippowdon can run an offensive set. Choice Band coupled with Sand Strenght and Hippowdons pretty high attack stat and access to STAB Earthquake is something dangerous.

Not much to say about your set though, as it hasn't changed since gen 4.

I think Hippowdon will be used more often in the 5th generation, because it one of the few pokemon that can check the stronger physical attackers, it also has a great recovery move. I don't think offensive sets will be used on hippowdon because many of the new attackers do that better, and Hippowdon's main niche seems to be checking the new massive threats.

Why is roar slashed with whirlwind? I thought whirlwind was always the superior choice in order to hit the rare soundproof pokemon.

Why is roar slashed with whirlwind? I thought whirlwind was always the superior choice in order to hit the rare soundproof pokemon.
Actually, since I don't think Hippowdon can learn Stealth Rock in Gen5, Roar would still be preferred since I think Stealth Rock + Whirlwind would be incompatible.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hippowdon is invaluable in this gen. He provides Sand Storm to aid Doryuuzu and can also check him too. (2+ EQ doesn't OHKO) and he can also check a wide variety of other sweepers.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
honestly, you can bet that any pokemon who can check doryuuzu is going to be a popular choice during this generation. i expect that, despite the advent of ridiculously powerful attackers in the fifth generation, hippowdon will gain even more usage than he had in the fourth generation. he didn't change much, but i don't suppose he really needed to.

as far as offensive sets go, i dont expect them to be used much (if at all). there are simply way too many ridiculously powerful physical attackers around in this generation -- even when running a choice band set, hippowdon looks like a little schoolgirl when compared to monsters like swords dance doryuuzu. hippowdon will probably only be seen running a physical tank set, as this is absolutely what he was best at during the fourth generation, and that will almost definitely be what he is best at during this generation.

If I can say one thing is that, like the guys above me, Hippowdon is going to see a HELL more action due to the rise of Sand Power and Sand Throw, and even more pokes with Sand Veil. *sigh* if only he could learn dragon tail, then he'd be a monster, though that brings up the question if he even has a tail. Curse my lack of knowledge about pokemon anatomy!

Also that is an epic Jaroda Avatar. How did you get Fatecrashers to make it?

I adore Hippowdon, he, as mentioned above, can be a very useful check and assistant to Doryuuzu, but also plays a huge role in taking apart any variations of stall this gen. With plenty of healing moves (including the now rare Sleep Talk), Whirlwind, Stealth Rock, and a strong enough Earthquake to threaten almost every ghost (Shanderaa, watch out!) he is a legitimate threat and can be a very useful defensive pivot for many teams.

Whirlwind should be the main option because it hits Soundproof Pokemon which is rare, but may appear every once in a while. Otherwise, Hippowdon didn't change much. Its still a great bulky support Pokemon. It could be equipped with a Choice Band and paired with Tyranitar. I think that'd be powerful as someone above stated.

breh

強いだね
Hippowdon is good because it helps Doryuuzuu, not because it checks it lol

Whirlwind should never be slashed because of incompatibilities with SR... sure you can't roar out exploud, Electrode, or Mr. mime without it but does it really need to?

I'm so glad Hippo doesn't automatically get Sandstream anymore. Its a major bother for my walls to have their Leftovers negated + more damage to my Life Orbers if i'm not trying to run a Sand team already.

breh

強いだね
Uhm, lolwut? Checking Doryuuzu is a huge deal since it's a huge threat..
I realize that it is a huge threat (IMO kind of like Garchomp last gen); I was under the impression that Doryuuzu had far higher defense, lol

Out of curiosity, how much attack does it take to guarantee the OHKO on 20/0 Doryuuzu (I believe that's what they run...) with EQ?

I realize that it is a huge threat (IMO kind of like Garchomp last gen); I was under the impression that Doryuuzu had far higher defense, lol

Out of curiosity, how much attack does it take to guarantee the OHKO on 20/0 Doryuuzu (I believe that's what they run...) with EQ?
Umm, investing in Attack is pretty much pointless, as with no investment it does 98.4% - 116.4%, a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rock or Life Orb recoil. But otherwise... it only requires 16 EVs and a neutral nature.

It's nice to see that Hippowdon got an alternate ability. Teams which despise sandstorm can still use the best bulky pure Ground in the game now.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Hippowdon is kind of being overhyped at the moment but only because Doryuuzu is seen as such a monster. It certainly helps to have one of the largest threats beaten, but it is way too easily beaten by special attackers. Pretty much any special attacking dragon beats it (Latis, Sazando, Salamence). Water types beat it almost hands down as do a lot of grass types. Even though it 'beats' Doryuuzu it still takes a massive chunk out of Hippowdon, making it easy prey for other physical threats like Blaziken later on in the game.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Max Attack Doryuuzu does 79.3% - 93.6% to standard wall Hippo with EQ after a Swords Dance, so if Hippo's taken basically any residual damage, it's gone.

LoL you could pair it up with t-tar to form somewhat of a defensive / specially defensive pairning (though they share a lot of weaknesses), so that he could use his other ability. Doubt it'd be that common, as the set mentioned above works so well, but hey this way it could abuse sand strength and run a fairly decent bulky choice bander. With adamant + sand strength + Choice band, its EQ's and stone edges would be doing ridiculous amounts of damage.

Obviously, if you are just looking for a Sand Stream lead/phazer, Hippowdon is the better choice, as it does not have as many crippling weaknesses to the most common attack types in the game. And it gets to keep Stealth Rock due to this set not needing the new attacks.

Obviously, if you are just looking for a Sand Stream lead/phazer, Hippowdon is the better choice, as it does not have crippling weaknesses to the most common attack types in the game. And it has Stealth Rock.
Ttar doesn't have roar and stealth rock? Surf and Ice Beam aren't among the most common attacks in the game?

What?

Also, how about Stockpilopotamus? It was always lolbroke after a couple of stockpiles..

Hippowdon
176 HP / 84 Def / 248 SpD
Impish
-EQ
-Roar
-Stockpile
-Slack Off

After a single Stockpile, Hippowdon becomes incredibly difficult to KO without Toxic, as it can survive both a Grass Knot from 40 SpA Celebi, a Waterfall from Adamant Life Orb Gyarados, and Roar them both away with over half of its health left after Leftovers. Half health may seem low, but the only other even remotely common things that could subsequently KO Hippowdon are offensive Life Orb Suicune and Choice Specs Heatran, so it is likely that Hippowdon will be able to Slack Off afterwards. After a second Stockpile, there are few things in OU which can even 3HKO the sandy hippopotamus.
Yeah. Same old, but still good.

EDIT: 400!

Stockpile Hippowdon just seems pointless, imo. Hippowdon is great for stall, but without Stealth Rock it doesn't bring anything to the table. Swampert is better for any other style of play, imo. Obviously both have access to Stealth Rock, but Swampert has a decent special attack stat and a better typing for pairing up with stuff like Shaymin or Heatran. Stockpile Hippowdon loses miserably to Gliscor (Taunt + Toxic), Skarmory (faster Whirlwind), and Gyarados (Taunt, Roar, or Dragon Tail), and Dragonite (Dragon Tail). Not to mention it doesn't do much damage and can't set up on much (still loses to Toxic, anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)