Hooray for Non-Generic Pokémon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOORAY FOR NON-GENERIC POKÉMON

Well, I lied to an extent. Most of these Pokémon are pretty generic, but it's a Sun Team, you know. You gotta have the basics to survive. I had built a few teams before this, most of them revolving around countering weather. But one day I decided, "Hey, why not try to actually use weather?" So I made one. And it's changed a few times, but the team has stayed basically the same throughout it's few incarnations. I capped out at 72/Some random number with this team, and I thought it'd be fun to plop this team down on the server for some help, because I've never been able to get that high again.

THE TEAM

Ninetales
Drought | Modest | Leftovers
4 HP | 252 SpAtk | 252 Spd
Fire Blast | Energy Ball | Will-o-Wisp | HP Ground
After switching around Ninetales's moveset, she has begun to do work. No help needed now.

Hitmontop
Intimidate | Impish | Life Orb
252 HP | 252 Def | 252 4 SpDef
Rapid Spin | Sucker Punch | Close Combat | Toxic
Hitmontop is pretty awesome as a revenge killer. All I wish is that he was more bulky, although I've tried the more bulky variants and none of them seemed to work as well. So there's that, I guess. Maybe if I was able to get another priority revenge killer, I would be able to make a bulky set.

Venusaur
Chlorophyll | Mild | Black Sludge
252 HP | 252 SpAtk | 4 Spd
Growth | Energy Ball | HP Fire | Earthquake
Venusaur is one of the better Pokémon that I have ever used. Venusaur usually gets in a Growth or two and then sweeps. The Mild nature is so that Earthquake doesn't get underpowered, and Earthquake itself is on there to deal with Heatran and Chandelure.

Darmanitan
Sheer Force | Adamant | Choice Scarf
4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spd
Flare Blitz | Earthquake | Rock Slide | Superpower
Darmanitan is an awesome sweeper. With Darmanitan, almost no one even attempts to switch in anything, because a Flare Blitz under the sun can 2HKO almost anything in the game, and the few things that it doesn't, Earthquake takes care of easily.

Dusclops
Pressure | Impish | Eviolite
4 HP | 252 Def | 252 SpDef
Seismic Toss | Pain Split | Protect | Will-O-Wisp
It's weird how efficient Dusclops works. It's a great wall, and the fact that it's HP is so low makes Pain Split work really well. The only thing is that it's not the best defensive pivot like I'm used to, like Porygon2, who I might switch back to. His moveset is a little jumbled, but it's fine. He works well enough in his role.

Dugtrio
Arena Trap | Adamant | Focus Sash
4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spd
Earthquake | Sucker Punch | Stone Edge | Shadow Claw
After some debate, I decided to try out a new revenge killer to replace Hitmontop after his switch to a bulky Pokémon. Dugtrio has worked well in the few battles that I've used him in, but for some reason just doesn't seem to flow with the team much. Switch to a Heatran, maybe?

This team is so weird, but yeah, I love using it. It's one of my best teams. Any comments would be appreciative.
Oh, and sorry if you don't like the Size 5 font. I always hate using no space.

Final Team View

you, sir, are a liar. this is hardly a non-generic team, but I won't hold that against you. much. First thing i notice is that leavanny is walled by steel and fire, two fairly common types, and also adds to your teams rock weakness. grasswistle may help a bit, but it's terribly unrealiable. you already have sun sweeping in venusaur, so you might could replace him with something to help coverage, or maybe that revenge killer you mentioned that would let you run a bulkier hitmontop. If you're determined to keep him, you might trade out dramanitan for something like heatran, so that your rock problems are reduced.
there are a few things you could do with ninetales. you could give him timid over modest so that he moves a bit quicker, or you could switch to a defensive set to keep him around longer. I would also consider using energy ball over solar beam, as it can help you take out opposing weather starters when the weather is not what you want.
On darmanitan, you might consider u-turn over rock slide or superpower. it can help you scout your opponents strategy, and occasionally get one of your set-up mons in a good position.
personally I like wii-o-wisp on dusclops, but that's me. Also, night shade over seismic toss. same power, only it hits ghosts instead of normal types, and ghosts are usually more common.
energy ball is nice if the weather changes, though it does lack the raw power of solarbeam. also, i personally like sleep powder on venusaur over EQ. It's frustrating when it misses, but it can halt a lot of counters (mostly dragons, heatran) and is a fair shade more accurate than grasswhistle.
Not sure what to do with your top really. I would personally go with intimidate over technician and run a more offensive set, though that does leave you lacking in the priority department. which i suppose is why i recommend replacing leavanny with a revenge killers and giving hitmontop a more offensive set. but again, that's up to you.
good luck, and hope i helped.

Well, just picking on that Hitmontop here. You mentioned that you wanted to be a bit bulkier. Why don't you move the speed evs into health evs? You aren't using the speed a whole lot anyway since you're using dual priority plus pursuit is only really useful when the opponent is switching out anyway. This way Hitmontop is a bit bulkier, and you have pseudospeed thing with priority. Hope my little pick helps!

Your EV spread on the Ninetales doesn't really promote bulkiness. Ninetales will only ever be able to take out pokes that are weak to him, so I suggest a bulkier spread. Also, lose the SolarBeam. It isn't actually that useful, practically no Waters can OHKO you when sun is up anyway.
Also, you have an amazingly big weakness to rock. I would replace Hitmontop with a Donphan and one of your Chlorophylls with a revenge killer.

If you want ninetales to do you favors with solar beam, switch hex for sunny day. It may seem redundant but backing other weather inducers in a corner is great for a sun team. You should also make it more aggressive as well with an 252 speed, 252 spatk, 4 whatever stat you want besides atk. This is the only way your ninetales will get a kill and with some prediction win the weather war.

On another note. If you consider this. You could switch darminitan with, and I am not joking here, Rapidash. leavanny has a double weakness to fire that will tempt alot of players to exploit. Especially heatran who would wall leavanny completely. Rapidash is fast enough to and hit hard enough to use flame charge. (Flame charge can be very nasty when flash fire boosted and under the sun.) Leavanny could have return over grass whistle. So it can hurt dragons that would otherwise Halt it and possibly set up as well.

Moveset for a rapidash replacement.

Rapidash@Air balloon/Life orb
Trait: Flash fire
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Evs: 252 ATK, 252 Speed/4 def
Moves:
Flame charge
Wild charge
Morning sun/Megahorn
Low kick/morning sun

Morning sun is just thrown here if you desire a recovery move at the cost of coverage. Other than that the item is just preference. If you want it to come in on a majority of heatrans and pokemon that are slow and pack fire type attacks, Air balloon is for you. If you want extra bang of power, then go for life orb.

I see there are two problems in your team:
1. you got no dragon resist pokemon(yes, dusclops is bulky enough to survive a outrage or draco meteor, but not rapeated outrage or meteor spam). You may replace Leavanny for a steel type(if you still want to use it, use it in RU), like Heatran or Scizor.
2. dusclops set should be like this:
Dusclops @Eviolite
Trait: Pressure
Nature: Calm
Evs: 252 HP/ 80 Def/ 176 Sdef
Moves:
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split
Night Shade
Ice Beam/ Taunt
You should see dusclops' stat: it got fantasic defense stat, but low Hp, which means it will not be taking many hits if it's hp is invested. WOW is for crippling physical attacker, it's favorite opponent. Pain split is psuedo recovery and the two remaining moves prevent your mummy from being offensive dead weight.
3. Hitmontop is not meant to be a revenge killer. It is a rapid spinner. you got a lot of better revenge killers/trappers than it. I suggest changing it to a bulkier set like 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Atk with impish nature. Also, change Mach punch into Sucker Punch. It helps himontop nails ghost-type pokemon.
4. Your team lacks entry hazard. Stealth Rock is an important move in competitive play, it's makes some 3HKO to 2HKO, Possible OHKO to guaranteed OHKO and blah blah blah...You may replace hitmontop for Donphan-A stealth rock user, a bulky physical wall, as well as a spinner.
5. Use this Ninetales instead:
Ninetales @ Shed Shell
Trait: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 108 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast - Stab fire move that does a considerable amount of damage to anything that does resists it.

- SolarBeam - A really good move that can be used against rock,ground and water types for super effective damage and works well with Drought and Sunny Day.

- Sunny Day - Its for setting up your weather during a predicted switch of the other Weather Summoner such as Politoed or Tyranitar and get a free SolarBeam if they decide to stay in.

- Will-O-Wisp - Used for burning down Pokemon and mostly Physical attackers that might cause problems later on the match.Or just to add up recoil damage on the opponent's Pokemon.

I copied it from here : http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3467733 , and i see it works well, because ninetales still have the bulk and the firepower. shed shell saves ninetales' ass from being trapped and killed by dugtrio.

This is just a quick rate from me. You should work on your synergy and playstyle. I'm not a pro sun team user but i think my advices should be helpful.

Notice how drought boosts the type of move that deals super effective damage to one of your pokemon, and twice that to another.

Also can't Dusclops learn Fire Punch? Seems like the move to use here. Prevents Gengar from completely walling you and the chance at burn is good for your guy too.

I suggest to use Ferrothorn instead Dusclops, Outrage and Draco Meteor are the main reasons. i use this set to stop all Dragon-type moves, hope you like it:

Ferrothorn (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Thank you all for your help with my team.

I decided upon switching out Leavanny for Dugtrio on the advice of a revenge killer, might change it to be a Heatran or Dragon resist after that was brought up.

I switched Toxic to WOW on Dusclops, who now works wonders for some reason (:P)

Hitmontop became an Intimidate CC/Toxic/Sucker Punch/Rapid Spinner.

Ninetales I changed Solarbeam to Energy Ball and Hex to HP Ground with the same EV's. She now has begun to take out Pokémon.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this rmt is untidy and the size of your context suggests your descriptions are short of what is classed as acceptable. expand your descriptions otherwise your thread will be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)