How do you play Pokemon in-game?

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I get someone to hack me stuff that I want to use - with perfect IVs and ready EVed. For example, I beat HG with Scizor and Rotom, traded at lvl 1. This is a practical solution because I don't have much spare time, and it would be too difficult for me to legitimately access Pokemon I want. I like to use Mew as an HM whore.

I try to beat the game "efficiently" and try to avoid as many filler trainers as I can. This makes the game more challenging and allows me to get to more interesting parts quickly.

Items that I buy, in order of quantity:

1. Super repel
2. Max repel
3. Repel

I never plan my team when I'm playing a main game for the first time. I just SR for a starter with a good nature, and then I go through the game, catching all Pokémon on the way, using only the Pokes with good natures.
It's actually a very fun way of using Pokémon you never used before. For example, when playing through my Pearl, I had some interesting Pokes like Adamant Seaking, Timid Lumineon, Timid Mothim with Hidden Power Fighting, and other NU Pokes like those.

But when I'm replaying a game, I just use every Poke there is. Which obviously means, hours of grinding different Pokémon. It seems boring and such, but I like it, since again, I'll be using a lot of Pokémon that I normally would never use. And when I'm having event battles, like against Gym Leaders and Elite Four, I pick the same amount of Pokémon as the foe, mostly mirrored, like Fearow against Pidgeot, Furret against Raticate, etc.

Sometimes I choose to go mono too, but really, there are so many fun ways in playing through the games, it's not even funny!
Wel, I'm doing to exact same thing! For HeartGold I chose a Totodile with adamant nature, and further in the game I usually train a couple of more pokes with good natures. I hate going mono, because I've did that in all my previously games. No fuun (:

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I first play through the game causally, catching random pokes and trying for natures that don't suck, but they don't have to be perfect. After I "beat" the game, I do style my teams for competitive play as I do play wifi.

I've played through Red, Gold, Emerald, Diamond, and i'm making my way through Soul Silver.

Basically i do like a lot of people here. I play the game to enjoy it, and worry about natures/ev's/iv's after i've beaten the elite 4.
I pick a starter i like the look of, and catch every different pokemon i come across. I then build a team out of the pokemon i catch, trying to make it balanced. I also explore as much as possible, and check out all the houses and speak to all the people.

Usually takes me 40hours-ish to beat the champion. Then i start making a team.

I'll do exactly the same thing when 5th gen is out.

I usually just pick up whatever pokemon I find. Then I take my time training to make sure they are at a higher level than the next gym leader. I feel there's no point in ev training them or looking for a specific nature. They're games and the whole point of it is to have fun with them.

I always fight every possible trainer there is to fight.
Same.
Also I like getting stuff like Skuntank on Diamond coz though it's not brilliant it learns fucking flamethrower, and there is barely any fire types in the game (5 amirite?).

Depends. When playing a brand new game I take the slow route, battle everyone and use whichever pokemon are convenient. For example, my HG team was Typhlosion Ampharos Togekiss Vaporeon Kangaskhan and I used red gyarados as my HM whore. Waterfall whirlpool surf and strength, Kanga has rock smash and Typhlosion had cut. Just whatever I find most convenient ends up being on my team.

Sometimes I speed run for master balls in LG. In that case I just ignore everything and charge through only battling when I have to and capturing only the seven pokemon I need to pal park shit. I cut every corner, even not getting Flash. The only pokemon I use other than my squirtle is a diglett for Lt. Surge and a growlithe for Celadon gym.

And other times when I'm running back through for enjoyment I will do weird teams that you usually wouldn't see. For example, I restarted my platinum the other day because I needed a turtwig for HG. I traded 6 eevees to the platinum. I plan to end up with Jolteon/Vaporeon/Leafeon/Espeon/Umbreon/Flareon.

I usually take my time, building a team with all members in Poke Balls with similar levels and decent natures. Battling competitively has helped make it easier because I know which natures do what and what status moves help which Pokemon. No more Modest Gyarados or Timid Feraligatr. :P

Recently, I replayed Emerald with a mono-normal team. Seemed kinda appropriate considering your "father" in game used normal. My team had Swellow, Linoone, Exploud, Kecleon, Castform and Slaking. The first and third gyms were nigh impossible, but everything else went smoothly up until the Elite 4. Friggin Glacia with 3 Sheer Cold OHKO's in a row. What are the odds? 2.7% IIRC. Wallace was a bit tough, but Slaking saved the day as per usual.

depending on your pokemons levels the chance of sheer cold hitting are higher, if the difference was of even 5 levels then the chance is significant bigger (enough for the atack hitting not be considered hax anymore), i noticed RSE become boring after the battle with your father, the game just seems to lack after the battle.

depending on your pokemons levels the chance of sheer cold hitting are higher, if the difference was of even 5 levels then the chance is significant bigger (enough for the atack hitting not be considered hax anymore), i noticed RSE become boring after the battle with your father, the game just seems to lack after the battle.
Are you sure? I thought It failed if you used it when the opponent had a higher level. Otherwise it just had 30%. Not that it really matters. Slaking was 3 levels lower than Walrein iirc.

On your other point, I agree. The battle with Norman was kindof epic (Especially with the normal team), but it was kinda meh after that. And leveling up after that point became tedious, moreso than in the other games. On a related note May and Brendan suck as rivals imo.

yeah, i was just giving a example, lets say both pokes are level 60, the chance of hitting is 30%, if the oposing poke is lower then the chance of hiting rises depending on the level difference. also agreed, may is cute but besides that she is a horrible rival.

I haven't played pokemon since I got my original copy of Blue back when I was about half as old as I am now. I got a copy of HG and am playing to just have as much fun as I can squeeze out of it, playing with the pokemon I like. After I've explored and had all the adventures that I can, I plan on actually getting a legit team together.

What I've done for the past 3 gens is just create a balanced team with decent natures as I go through one of the games (in this case HeartGold). After I beat the game I start breeding good pokemon with nice IVs and Natures, and trade them over to the other game (SoulSilver) and beat that one quickly while EV training my pokemon.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My SoulSilver adventure has been rather unique to me as far as the pokemon go. There's always pokemon that I want to train early on like nidoran(F) but I always just get bored... but this time Nidoqueen is my staple and has been since I caught Nidoran(F) at the route right after goldenrod. I also used a Forretress caught as a low-level headbutted Pineco, Meganium as a starter, and Haunter instead of gengar, caught as Gastly at bellsprout tower. I caught mareep early on and am still with Ampharos. The last slot was Golem most of the game but I opened it up to HM slaves (which sometimes included Golem for rock smash). I usually get caught up in leveling up one team and leaving a bunch of untrained guys in my boxes, so I threw in a Heracross, Tentacruel and a few others here and there into that last spot. For cave slaves I used Bellsprout w/ flash and cut, Azumarril for Whirlpool, Strength, and Rock Smash (?) and later Waterfall, and Nidoqueen for surf. Zubat for fly, Farfetch'd for fly/cut. I'd like to say my team is unconventional for just going through the game.

Haunter
~Hypnosis, Shadow Ball, Dream Eater, Mean Look
(this set destroyed Raikou and Entei in one shot so I could RNG them later).
Nidoqueen
~Fire Blast, Headbutt, Body Slam, Surf (Headbutt is now Earth Power, FINALLY! I attached Specs for elite 4)
Forretress
~Explosion, Payback, Bug Bite, Mirror Shot (yes I know Mirror Shot is special but it has worked extremely well against rock types and such). I used Explosion + Revive to OHKO all three of Lance's Dragonite XD
Meganium
~Reflect, Synthesis, Body Slam, Petal Dance (not much to say here but I love Meganium)
Ampharos
~Shock Wave, Signal Beam, Thunder Punch, Thunderwave (bad type coverage but powerful enough to Scarf for the Elite 4... Thanks mom!)

I don't like to play with a competitive aspect in-game, it sort of ruins the experience, for me.
I tend to plot out my team ahead of time, but occasionally something goes wrong or something goes right and I adjust on the fly. I want to use Pokemon I like or feel like using. Natures don't matter too much, unless I feel like being picky. Abilities are the same, unless one is far superior to the other. (Like when I recaptured a Wooper in HG because I wanted Water Absorb) I don't nickname my Pokemon, usually, and I like to do it all slightly underleveled for the challenge.
I also refuse to use legendaries in-game. That's just not fair.

When i see the new pokemons pictures i'm going to make a team for the game. But when i play to the game i always get other pokemon so i don't make a team before anymore. When the pokemon game is totally new (new pokemons,towns ...) i play with the starter, but when i already play with the starters once like platinum (i played with the starters in diamond/pearl) i don't play with them again and dump them into my PC when i catch a pokemon i like. Then i go playing and see a pokemon i like, i catch it (Don't care for the nature,IV's ..) because i'll destroy the pokemon at all with the EV's for example a Gengar has got Ev in Attack by fighting with trainers and gengars attack is verry bad and i don't use physical move's on Gengar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)