How to get into Mafia?

Hey everyone :) At my school, Mafia is a big game. When I saw that you guys played over the internet I figured that it sounded like a lot of fun and I want to try it. But I am not sure how to get into or a game, or what the rules are for that matter. Can someone please explain, or at least point me in the direction of answers? Thanks :)

Mekkah's mafia article in the smog is a good place to look to get beginner information on mafia

also this article for an overview of the basic roles

additionally, you can get on IRC (use the irc.synirc.net server) and join #fluodome to play quick games on the mafiabot and get to know people. it's a faster learning curve than full mafia games and you can play a lot in a short amount of time

I'd just like to warn you that mafia at your school is probably nothing like the mafia here, but feel free to take part!

I also wanted to get into Mafia, I play it on #fluodome sometimes, but idk what I am supposed to do lol, and I read Mekkah's post and the other one, but i still don't understand it.

well make an attempt to understand it or sign up for partner mafia when it appears because understanding is the first step to victory

another thing i like to think is that playing mafia is kind of like learning a language. you can read articles telling you how to play mafia all you want, but the best way to learn quickly is get right into a game and try it! as long as you're not completely incompetent you should be fine, and enough people are forgiving of new players

irl mafia is a lot different to smogon mafia... smogon mafia is a lot of fun, but the mafia you play at school will be different. if you're interested in smogon mafia read the posts above, but if you want to learn irl-like mafia maybe try basic games on mafiascum or something else ^^;

additionally, you can get on IRC (use the irc.synirc.net server) and join #fluodome to play quick games on the mafiabot and get to know people. it's a faster learning curve than full mafia games and you can play a lot in a short amount of time
I tried fluodome and always got killed night 0, I wonder if it's because people don't know me that well or what?

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Go on #fluodome on the SynIrc server and play mafia

to start a game and join, just enter "!mafia"

The bot explains how to play the game

/end thread

This is how pretty much everyone gets into mafia; its best you play fluodome so you wont be a complete noob for forum mafia

And sometimes, new players are n1 killed constantly, so do not feel offended. Understand this rule will help you tremendously: If you are a martyr/hooker repeat the following "HOOKER/MARTYR! BG PROTECT! CLAIMS!!!!" If it is a french/italian mafia game, Martyr claims (if m.i.a. or Hooker, then Inspector claims). By doing this, you become village leader and then you have to weed through claims (not every player claims truthfully *cough cough Eo*) (some dont claim at all (which is ok too)), and lynch the correct targets.

FYI I never played fluodome mafia, I hate it and i'm pretty bad because I find it way too fast (I guess I have a slow reaction time). I don't think playing some fluodome mafia games is the best/only way to get into the forum ones - you just have to read Mekkah's articles in the Smog, and maybe finding a host of a current game who would let you see their sheet would help; after that, you just have to jump in. It's pretty easy to get 'into', what's hard is to lead your team to victory, and the only way to learn that is through experience.

another thing that I just remember: when I first started getting into forum mafia, I read through a lot of the older mafia games (mafia mafia, dbz, and some others), which actually really helped me get into the ideas of the game, although the best way to still learn strategies is just get into the game and try it yourself!

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can agree with asim, reading through previous mafia games was a really big help. Also, just following a mafia game in progress and talking to some of the players in it helps - so you can see their strategies etc (just don't blab it to anyone else lol).

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I did the same thing that asim had. I had read through post-games, full game threads, etc. The only thing is that reading big mafia threads tends not to help very much in understanding big mafia. Besides that, reading up on different small mafia games, seeing what people did right and wrong, getting an idea of what people false-claim, how to lead a village, etc. It's possible to at the very least begin to understand how these mechanics work, even as an inexperienced player. I actually managed to "lead" the village in my very first small mafia game. Yes, I had no idea what to do or who to trust, but it helped for me to learn what leaders do and all that jazz. It helped me to learn from much better and much more experienced players than myself. So yeah...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)