How to install Shoddy Battle on Linux

Hello, well recently my I changed my system to linux and i have no idea how to download things. so can any of you give me step by step directions on how to do this? i didn't check the site yet... so if it tells me LOL ok and thanks for all who help me :D

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Open up a terminal (Applications->Accessories), and type this in to install Java:
sudo aptitude install sun-java6-bin

Authenticate yourself, this that and the other. Afterwards, open Firefox, go to the shoddybattle site, download it like you would on any operating system, and then double click it. It should be in your Downloads Folder under Places I'm pretty sure.

This is assuming your system is Ubuntu which is the most common one. If its something like Fedora, type in su first, then yum install sun-java6-bin (not sure).

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you don't have the root password, you're screwed. Any little itty bitty change you want to do that doesn't have to do with files in your home folder will require your root password. Look up on how to reset it on the internet, I don't know how to do it myself.

You can open the software center, and just type Java. I just switched to windows 7, because Linux messed me up. Once it's installed, continue like normal...

To change the root password:
Command 1:
Code:
sudo -1
Type your user password. It should be blank if you did not specify one.
Command 2:
Code:
passwd
Your passwords won't show up for security. Just if you wanted to know.

Oh and BTW: You shouldn't have to change the ROOT password to install java. Just the user account password.

But whatever. Enter this code to install Java
Code:
sudo aptitude install sun-java6-bin

ok im still confused about the changing the root password part. Let me try again :D and hopefully not mess up my comp.

Edit: Thanks to all who participated in helping me install Java. Now for the Next Step Shoddy BAttl!@ and maybe some Runescape...

rory

T^T
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly I've never tried this on ubuntu but assuming you have java installed this should work:

Code:
$ javaws http://shoddybattle.com/client/shoddybattle.php

Go with the command that Rory has posted up. It works for just about all the Distros that I know of. Do not use the jnlp file since it will not install. If you want to, you could probably make a shortcut icon on your desktop that automatically runs this command if your distro doesn't already do it for you so that you don't have to type it all the time when you want to use Shoddy.

You can go ahead an use the .jnlp because it executes the same statements. Just make sure you download it, and run with Java. If that doesnt work, cd into the directory downloaded in, and just
Code:
javaws shodddybattle.jnlp
It should work, and the statements will be exetuted. I suggest making a simple terminal or SH script to execute this.

Thanks everyone, I have been able to install Shoddy now. Most credits goes to Duck92! Changing the password was the hard part. My IGN is TrainerJon. LOL :D

Can close now? if these threads every close?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)