How would you handle Wobbuffet?

Actually, this has gotten me to think of a weird Dugtrio set that could trap and kill Wobba. How ironic

Dugtrio @ Life orb
EV's:252 Atk/252 Speed
Ability:Arena Trap
Nature:Adamant
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch/Stone Edge

No matter what Wobbaffet does, it's trapped and going to die. You also end up with a sub :]
Dugtrio really doesn't need a sub.. I'd much rather have him able to revenge kill Hera / Breloom with Aerial Ace. Life Orb is also for personal preference [Choice Band can still be used here], since you'll be forced to use Toxic anyway if you don't wanna get 1HKO'd by Counter.

wobba with 252hp and 140/140 sp atk and atk and 6 spd

Focus sash

Counter
Mirror Coat
Safeguard
Encore

something like that, was in the battle tower, annoyed me cuz I had only weavile left, so I was gonna die either way..

If you ever do see this, I suggest you switch to a sandstream or hail or something that does residual damage.

A condom, really. That takes cares of it in one fell swoop.

I use U-turn and U-turn into something wobb won't run from and wail on it.

u cant counter it cuz u cant swich
Maybe you can't switch, but I can spell.

I'm making this post not because it's "obligitory", but because it should make most of the counters argument. You can't counter it, unless you have baton pass, U-Turn, or a shed shell. Some teams have none of this, and making a thread which goal is to tell people "I have some thing with U-Turn which can switch to something with taunt/pursuit" is silly.

I also don't think that wobbuffet will cause a great deal of overcentralization in OU, because it's stopped cold far to easily. Namely by taunt, pursuit, and u-turn. Shed shell on any given pokemon that is usually susceptible to wobbuffet (mixape is a good example), means an easy switch to your taunter/phazer/pursuiter.

Good night and good luck.

You can counter U-Turn IMO. Whatever damage you deal with U-Turn can get Countered on to your switch in. Good Wobba players can predict that. The only way U-Turn works is if you switch to a Ghost (Hello Gengar).

Pretty much the worst thing you can do to a Wobuffett is Stat-Up. Then they get a free switch to something extremely dangerous with one turn of set-up like BellyZard, SD Luke, DD Gyra, etc. Even more dangerous is when they bring out their counter and get trapped and killed by Wobuffett. Then once it comes out again you die.

Well, since I normally lead with Spiritomb, lead Wobbuffet does nothing to me. Spiritomb pursues the switching Wobbuffet for ~36-43%, then I just wait for Wobbuffet to come back in. Unless I can predict and switch in a U-turn user, then I'll hit Wobbuffet as hard as I can. If my Pokemon is knocked out, then Spiritomb comes in to Pursuit FTW.

If Wobbuffet isn't the lead, once it switches in, hit it hard, revenge-kill with Pursuit, and job done.

There's not a whole lot that you can do in that situation without prediction. Just don't allow yourself to give Wobbuffet more than one kill.

Taunt screws it up real badly. It doesnt have any attacking move right? So all it can do is struggle and even the slowest Taunt'er is faster den Wobb iirc.

you are not the first to think of that i was used in adv in wobbas test phase
Thanks for that piece of enlightening information...

Carl said:
Without being too situational, the best general bet for any team is to just use a non damaging move.
Agreed. If you can get some form of residual damage up, especially Sandstorm. then you can pretty much bone the thing, and it directly taking out one of your pokemon through counter/mirror coat isn't really a concern anymore. That free turn it "earns" every time it pops out of the ball is another story.

An interesting way to deal with this is to use Adamant Choice Scarf Scizor's U-Turn which I believe would do over 53% to Wobbuffet and switch to a ghost type which is immune to Counter and Shadow Ball it with Gengar and KO it.

An interesting way to deal with this is to use Adamant Choice Scarf Scizor's U-Turn which I believe would do over 53% to Wobbuffet and switch to a ghost type which is immune to Counter and Shadow Ball it with Gengar and KO it.
No good Wobba player in their right mind will be switching into a STAB Bug/Ghost attack, or a Pokemon that could carry one of those attacks. If it's forced to at the end of the match, congrats, but in the mean time, it'll probably try to trap walls..

The only thing with Taunt I can see Wobba trying to trap off top is Skarmory, and I really dont think a taunt skarm is all that effective in this meta, unless you're not worried about spiking.

lol no

cm is encored

mean look is encored

shadow ball is mirror coated
._.
am i missing something here? who cares if mean look in encored if wob can't do anything offensively? same with CM if Wob's already trapped with you. After some time you should have a fully powered mismaggy that would easily destroy wob.

Well once a wobbuffet comes out (and possibly kills on of my pokemon), I will then start planning on how to kill wobbuffet once it switches in.

So what I normally will do is try and push the battle in a situation where I can switch my best sweeper in safely. I then KO my opponents pokemon. The next step for my opponent would be to send in wobb. Then it all comes down to prediction of either stat-upping, or attacking.

I also like laying down Toxic Spikes just to fuck him over all the time.

Also at Y2Kash: If Wobb encores Calm Mind, then he switches out to a sweeper, he gets a free Stat-up as you can't attack. It basically forces you to switch out ensuring their pokemon gets a free turn to Sub, or boost their attack.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
am i missing something here? who cares if mean look in encored if wob can't do anything offensively? same with CM if Wob's already trapped with you. After some time you should have a fully powered mismaggy that would easily destroy wob.
Yeah, but if Wobb encores Calm Mind he isn't going to stay and just let you Calm Mind. He's going to switch out to a powerful Pursuit user to destroy Mismagius or he'll use the free turn of you switching out to set up something like Lucario.

It really depends on your situation, your team, how it works, and figuring out the best option. All these stupid "taunt it, sleep it, or toxic" answers are pretty much stupid as it requires you to switch to the actual pokemon with those moves and any SMART wouldn't trap a pokemon known to carry such moves in its standard moveset. So it really all boils down to certain situations and your teams. For example, lets take my "known" defensive team which has a starter Hippo and the few times I faced a starter wobba. I'm already given an advantage of negating wobba leftovers and I can threaten it two ways(setting up SR or using eq) forcing to wobba to predict me instead of me predicting it. Obviously eqing will result you losing hippo but that is a small price to play for at least 2 eq hits crippling the wobba or I just setup SR for the entire battle and wobba risk losing 12.5% each switchin and the risk of getting hit by my attacks adding possibly more damage. Of course this is riskier because this could lead to you getting setup on but by knowing I run a defensive team I'm hoping for whatever he attempts to setup can be stopped. In the end, if I let him setup(and sweep) then its my fault for picking the wrong move just live with that fact and move on.

Of course this is all playing from my perspective view which is well at a higher level than the average player so really its just thinking the whole situation. It is better if wobba comes out midgame because you'll get a chance to analyze their team by now thus making it easier to pick "the better option" rather than just randomly picking SR or EQ in my example.

W/E just personal experience on how I dealt with the pokemon but generally my ideal strategy against wobba is to just hit and losing that 1 pokemon rather than doing nothing and letting him setup to sweep my 6. I find that wobba isn't that hard to take down just need to think more about the entire situation rather than "oh shit i don't want this pokemon to die" then u let yourself get setup on. Having to have played IPL(Council or Doorman) several times with his well built stall team, wobba can be a bitch to beat but it all comes down to thinking out the whole situation and making the most "logical" decision.

this was prolly horribly written so if anybody understood what i actually tried to say kudos for you! >_<

Yeah, but if Wobb encores Calm Mind he isn't going to stay and just let you Calm Mind. He's going to switch out to a powerful Pursuit user to destroy Mismagius or he'll use the free turn of you switching out to set up something like Lucario.
But the point is to use Mean Look first. Is there a turn limit to mean look that I'm unaware of?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)