How you feel about the Kalos Champion

How do you feel Diantha matches up to her previous counterparts?

• Total voters

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Guys, you are getting majorly off topic. Please take this to a private conversation if you indeed intend to carry on.

Otherwise, let's get this back to the discussion at hand shall we?

Moving right along, how about some wild conjecture? You know that event legendary, Diancie (is that the name?), right? The small pokemon with pink eyes and pink crystals for hair? It really does bear a striking reseblance to Diantha, and they have similar names... A rock/fairy type legendary...

Do you suppose an event pokemon side story could salvage Diantha's character, or would it seem shoehorned in? Would it add depth to her character and make her more human, or would it leave you feeling insulted?

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Moving right along, how about some wild conjecture? You know that event legendary, Diancie (is that the name?), right? The small pokemon with pink eyes and pink crystals for hair? It really does bear a striking reseblance to Diantha, and they have similar names... A rock/fairy type legendary...

Do you suppose an event pokemon side story could salvage Diantha's character, or would it seem shoehorned in? Would it add depth to her character and make her more human, or would it leave you feeling insulted?
Would it seem forced? Heck of course, that aint even a question, given how little there is to the aftergame, for an event to suddenly pop up out of nowhere precisely for a character that we, as protagonists, happened to give 0 fucks about until we reached the Champion, 5there is no way that will go smoothly, to me at least.

Can it salvage her character? It definetely can, im not asking for some hyper deep development or insight for the character's emotions and ideals like with Alder or N, but explaning her piss poor activity in the Team Flare crisis, as opposed to what she shouldve done as a champion, would definetely take her up in my list, at least above Iris.

Out of all the Champs of Pokemon, Diantha has to be the least memorable. Unlike most champions who usually have a big involvement in the plot at one point or so, Diantha had little to absolutely no involvement other than the fact that she conversed with Lysandre and the fact that she's apparently some famous actress or something. I don't dislike her by any means, I'm just disappointed. The only thing I can note about her is that she has a nice battle theme.

Last edited:
I would suppose that blue was pretty good...I mean you got to see him "grow up" and it is defs fun stealing their thunder...esp with all that stuff like "smell ya later" etc
I didn't really like lance. I felt he came in too late. And a theme champion in my opinion is just plain stupid.
RS was great in terms of the elite 4 and the champion!....except they didn't level up. Took so long grinding to level 100 then. Ergh!
Sinnoh...OMG! Cynthia was AMAZING! Great team, bloody hard to beat (at least in DP and I like a challenge!) and wicked music. The best!
Alder...didn't really like him too much. Though, I didn't really play black too much...I thought diamond was sooooo much better. And again, he was themed. So easy for me then.
And last but not least, theres Diantha. I agree with what everyone else is saying. She isn't involved with the story. Nor is she hard to beat. Though I would say that she would be hard to beat were it not for the new exp share. Her theme music is alright I guess...not the best though.
Diantha isn't the worst champion. She does have some good stuff going for her. Though she is defs not the best (coughcynthiacough). But I feel she is much better than Lance, Alder or Steven. But worse than Blue.

Most underwhelming champion ever, so on my 1st run through the e4 I had defeated all the E4 but was late for a tennis match, I decided to save right outside her room because I thought it would be a long tough battle like cynthia and did'nt want to be any later. When I came home I battled her right away and was kinda disappointed that it was her but said " oh well maybe she'll have an epic team" 30 seconds later and I was done, I might aswell have defeated her before I played my match but I didn't think the champ would be so easy!

Dianthus is more a reflection on society, a person more interested in fame than her work. Being the champ is actually secondary to her movie career. She's a star, proud of it, and is self-absorbed to such a degree she does not truly realize what Lysandre and his crew are doing, despite her proximity to it. Worse, she might know, and is just complacent. If Lysandre succeeded, Pokemon would be gone, and she would no longer be burdened by her title as champion, and free to pursue her movie career completely.

Diantha is a lousy champion because she comes off as disinterested. She wanders about to impress her fans, but that's about it. She doesn't step in to stop Flare, is clueless about their plans, and looks as her position as champion as something of an obligation as opposed to an honor. Her fans, obsessed with style and fame themselves, feed that ego and help Diantha further build up her disconnect.

It was by far the easiest champion i have faced. I had no trouble what so ever. I managed to K/O 6 of 6 pokemon she had. the only one i didn't was Gardevoir but that's cos it mega evolved. even then it took 2 hits to faint. i even had pokemon of lv 60-65. far too easy

I thought she was alright, and should have been stronger. My doublade destroyed her pokes though and it was pretty easy.

I like how no one counts N but everyone counts Blue.
N refused the title of Champion after defeating Alder. He's never officially been Champion. I'm surprised no one's mentioning RED, ffs.

I could see that. She was named Diantha in honor of Diancie, and tried to live up to the hopes and dreams her parents set for her in the acting field. She soon lost her way, and found love in Pokémon, which rekindled her passion in acting. But she became so preoccupied with her career (encouraged to do so by her friend Malva) that she missed all the Team Flare drama, even missing Lysandre's HoloCast due to being on set of her new movie. Then you have to help her find Diancie so that she can regain her self-confidence, which has been shattered after she realizes what a poor Champion she's been! I love it!

Anyways! I don't know why everybody's bashing her so much! Just because all the other Champions did stuff ON-SCREEN doesn't mean she didn't do anything OFF-SCREEN.

Also, I had MegaBlastoise, Exp. Share on AND all of my Pokémon on levels 66-76 and it was still a challenge to fight her. Not a hard one, but it was fun.

Anyways, if I had to rank my favorite Champions:

1) Lance - He's the first Champion I've ever fought. I'll always have him as my #1.

2) Cynthia - She's cool, she's powerful, she's badass, she's the perfect Champion. But her cameos in 5th gen were extremely unnecessary.

3) Red - Everyone seems to forget that Red is a Champion, too. (Yet oddly enough, you all remember when it comes time to complain about Lance…)

4) N - Despite being an "unofficial" Champion (he never formally takes the title), his character development makes him one of the best characters of the entire series! I haven't seen what the anime did with him, but I can only pray they did him justice.

The others aren't in any ranking, they're just in chronological order. I already named my faves, so who cares?

5) Blue - I've been playing every generation since Gen. 1 and I still haven't made it past Lorelei in FR… so Blue isn't even on my list because he's still a weak ass rival IMO (I was always OP against him…)

6) Steven - I never fought him. I never got past the E4 in Ruby/Sapphire and I didn't even try to beat him at Meteorite Falls in Emerald. So I can't say anything about him.

7) Wallace - Oh, God. Why is everyone hating on him? I didn't even remember he was a Champion. He was ok, I guess. Lol I always picked Treecko in Emerald (because of Green) so Juan and Wallace went by quick. He might've been memorable if I'd picked Blaziken.

8) Alder - After doing the N's Castle stuff, I haven't really gone back to re-challenge the E4, so I can't comment on him. He seems cool, but I don't remember hearing about some dead partner…

9) Iris - Fml. If she's anything like her anime counterpart, kill her with fire. I actually think I already fought her and beat her (she's just that forgettable!)

10) Diantha - Not memorable, but not horrible. Her character is underdeveloped, her team makes no sense, her fashion is… questionable, to say the least, and she seems morally ambiguous at times. But keep in mind, she's modeled after sheltered, naïve, ingenues in Hollywood, so I'll give her a pass. For now.

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Like many of the posters prior, my feelings toward Diantha veer towards 'underwhelming' and 'disappointing' and it isn't just on her team being a breeze. When we first see her conversing with Lysandre, I thought she would fit the bill as a 50-something who often reflects back on her life's achievements and choices and the relationship with her Gardevoir could be that spanning several decades. Throughout the story, it would be nice if she gave bits into her past and philosophy reflecting X/Y's "cherishing life" theme, a theme I thought suited more than simply "beauty". Unfortunately, her dialogue seems to be treating the Championship title as a minor achievement since she basically goes "wow, it's kinda nice I got Champion and Grand Duchess. Pretty nifty, I say" unlike the rest who saw it as an honor and a mark to show they had an impact on the Pokemon World and stress the procedure of recording with you.

As for the idea of a future event expanding her character, I could see it helpful even though anything above regretting not being involved with the Flare fiasco could come off as shoehorning. Maybe she could reveal a bit of her past with Sycamore (perhaps the Couriway Town's train since there is a message on one of the seats made by him) that reveals Kalos' most sacred area (requiring the Honor of Kalos). There, we learn why Diantha doesn't seem to treat her Championship title as seriously as the others is tied to some massive regret that only Sycamore knows. Say, she cheated and divorced with the guy who vanishes in Anistar City... however that is a bit stretched.

Hopefully, the Z/X or Y sequel (or prequel if you want to stretch it) gives her some justice or replaces her with someone else who'd make a better champion in personality and battle.

I thought she was terrible champion.Very one dimensional you could sweep her whole team with aegislash or doublade after a SD. I seriously was hoping the MegaEvo Guru to be the champ since he thought you about MEvo. I found it disappointing he was basically just a plot device for 20 mins. Im sure if he's the guru he supposed to be he should have vast knowledge on pokemon and battles.

Rant over lol. Oh and the games never had a serious rival since Blue/Green

Eh...She's alright i feel that she could have been more relevvant to the story like cynthia for instance. Not going to lie the battle was a little overwhelming

Well obviously when you're playing the game on uber-easy mode the game is going to be easy, that's not really a fair measure of any NPC's strength.
Try EXP Share off, Set Battle Style, no Amie/Super Training and it might be a little more interesting.
Don't forget the Nuzlocke rules on top of that, for a real challenge

Anyway my experience battling her was thus. My team consisted of Delphox, Floette, Sylveon, Lucario, Blazikin and Yvetal. She (mostly her Mega Gardivoir) had KO'ed most of my team, including the badass aura fight, my starter and strongest pokemon, and my Legendary bird of death. The only pokemon left was Floette (Not floged, because I didn't know how to evolve ehr and even if I did I wouldn't had done it) She had managed to beat Gardivoir (granted I think I might have weakened her) and win the battle.

General opinon she's decent as a champ, but Cynthia and Lance give off a more badass vibe. (come to think of it she had few appearances and only one of them concerned Team Flare, The other champions at least did a little more than politely decline an offer to join a villainous group)

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I feel that she's sort of a step back. In every single generation since Kanto (and even then you can argue that Blue DID something about Team Rocket) the Champion has tried to take some sort of action to prevent the world from ending. Lance's legendary hyper beaming a guy, Wallace/Steven fighting off Magqua by finding the legendaries and letting the obvious chosen one deal with it, Cynthia actually goes into the Distortion World and tries to help out a bit against Galactic at Spear Pillar, Alder does his "last stand" thing, and Iris does some stuff in Castelia. Dianthia on the other hand? Flare's just announced on the scalar equivalent of calling everyone at once and telling them they plan to kill them, and what does Dianthia do? Zip. Hell, one of her Elite Four is a goddamn Flare member.

Teamwise, she's a disappointment. Not on the level of Wallace, but she has no cohesive theme holding her team together. Her team is taken out by common mons- we pretty much all picked up either a pidgey or fletching on route 2 which deals with Hawlucha and Gourgeist- Blaziken eats the fossils for breakfast, and the other two? Doublade can take them out fairly easily with ghost attacks and physical moves.

She's disappointing as a character, and I hope that the next game pulls a BW2 or Emerald and replaces her.

Eh...She's alright i feel that she could have been more relevvant to the story like cynthia for instance. Not going to lie the battle was a little overwhelming
I always felt like Diantha was designed to be the polar opposite of Cynthia.

Dark solemn clothing -> White festive clothing
Long blonde hair -> Short black hair
Is involved in story -> Not involved in story
Worldly and distant -> Vain but accessible
Powerful team -> Meh team

Overall, she's a mediocre character. That being said, I'm happy that gamefreak seems to be pushing for a different style of champion for each region. We don't need every champion to be a typical bland "badass" champion.

Last edited:

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Short black hair? I thought it was grey-ish to me, fitting the "eldery woman" look. That was likely my favorite bit about Diantha since she wasn't being the stereotypical "Ms. Fanservice" kind of woman that I kept seeing over and over. Shame the characterization and teambuild didn't reflect the idea of a badass grandma figure as much as I liked.

It was underwhelming. Surprisingly, Gourgeist was kind of annoying, but only because of Shadow Sneak. Blaziken pretty much one shotted everything.

Short black hair? I thought it was grey-ish to me, fitting the "eldery woman" look. That was likely my favorite bit about Diantha since she wasn't being the stereotypical "Ms. Fanservice" kind of woman that I kept seeing over and over. Shame the characterization and teambuild didn't reflect the idea of a badass grandma figure as much as I liked.
I think she was supposed to be something along the Ms. Fanservice line considering the lack of discernible winkles (thought she might just be middle-aged) and the whole "Movie Star" bit. The grey hair thing was just a bizarre hair choice (or black)

We did get Drasna, who is quite possibly my favorite character in X/Y.
But yeah, Diantha was kind of meh. I beat her fairly easily, but it wasn't a total steamroll; her M-Gardevoir actually managed to take out a couple of my mons before going down. Aside from that, though, she was pretty lame.

Diantha was pretty weak, both as a trainer and a personality. It's always kind of bugged me that the the protagonist doesn't know who the champion is much of the time, I mean ffs they have tv, radio, etc...you would think that the friggin champion would have some serious celebrity pull. The fact that they dont weakens the whole experience when you become champion...As in who cares. And don't even get me started on how champions tend to leave you to rot while you try to save the world. Lance was the most bad ass for actually stepping in to help vs team rocket, and Cynthia was the most bad ass in the anime

For me she seemed out of place and underwhelming. She really had no part in the story line and just wasn't what I pictured the champion of the amazing Kalos region would be like. Her pokemon we're meh, (kind of out of random) and her overall look was just "meh". When it comes down to it Diantha just is "meh". I thought she maybe was going to be like another Cynthia but I was wrong. ._.

Like the above poster, I disliked how she didn't really have any involvement with the storyline. I suppose I appreciate her giving me the Ralts after I beat her, but then that's it ?_? I mean, at least Cynthia takes a heck of a lot more involvement in the character than Diantha does. She's just rather disappointing and underwhelming as a character and it's saddening because she seemed like the kind of champion that had so much potential at first...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)