How you prepare yourself for important matches.

To this day, preparing myself for important matches has always been an issue for me. I really just don't know how to approach it. I figured this was important enough to be a thread, rather than just post it in the "Ask a simple question" thread, as it could provide valuable insight for others as well as me.

To be honest, I have no idea where the hell to start when preparing myself for games. This has been really bothering me. It's caused me to take a hiatus from battling (hence the lack of new vids on my YT channel for those that give a shit). So yeah, it's a bit of a problem.

Is there anything that I should consider before going into important battles (I mean, not random ladder battles, battles for tournaments and such)? What sort of mindset should I have? I guess this all leads to one thing, how do I prepare myself for a battle?

Well, I'd like to hear everyone's way of preparing for battles, I've really wanted to make this topic for a while as I've been struggling with it.

I'd suggest to go all out. Try things that may be unconventional or unorthodox. Be surprising and creative. If you lose, you lose, but you might as well lose having played your best.

As long as you keep in shape (battle on Shoddy every day), preparation consists only of making sure every move/item is correct on your Pokémon. I don't let being rusty become an excuse for me. Personally there isn't a lot I do to prepare for a match. I make sure everything is right and I get into the battle.

In battle is a different story. I take inventory of all my options and select the best one. Every move is so vital in an important match, so you really need to think through every single move.

My mindset? Complete awareness. My preparation? Confidence. Everything else is just hocus pocus if you ask me.

To Wedge: Really? In an important match for a tournament, you would be OK with losing? That is honestly the complete opposite of my mindset when I go into a match. Hell any match I go into I plan on coming out on top, even if I have to stall for thirty minutes.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Usually I play better when cold/shivering, so maybe I'll turn the temp down a few notches. I'll also Go upstairs and turn the TV off so I don't get distracted.

Though aim distracts me all the same :l

Get a good sleep. I probably sound like a teacher but it works wonders for me. It makes my brain sharper and faster, both of which are needed for battling.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I just battle like normal :).The only thing you have to do is assume your opponent is a great battler, whether they are or not, cause usually idiots won't be playing in tournaments. I try and imagine what I would do if I was in their situation and predict around that. Also remember that your opponents are only human; the husks and MoP's are just like the rest of us and can be flustered too. Above all, just stick to your gameplan and don't think about all the "what if's" that may pop up.

To Wedge: Really? In an important match for a tournament, you would be OK with losing? That is honestly the complete opposite of my mindset when I go into a match. Hell any match I go into I plan on coming out on top, even if I have to stall for thirty minutes.
I wouldn't take my advice over other people's. My idea of an important battle is me vs. Revo to make sure I can still beat him. I've never been in a tournament, so I'm not an expert on mindset preparation. The suggestion I have given has come from real life experiences. I find that going in full throttle has given me better results than going in halfheartedly and second-guessing myself.

I actually assume that my opponent is always an idiot, or more nicely put, a person who Isn't a good battler, and usually they always are, or through the course of the match, make bad decisions that cost them the game. It works a lot, but no offense to anyone I've battled or who i battle in the future.

It's just a mindset that puts your mindset above the opponent, in which case, if you make a bad move, you don't have to think up, but think down, vice versa, if you always think your opponent is great, and you make a bad decision, you have to then think UP!

I wouldn't take my advice over other people's. My idea of an important battle is me vs. Revo to make sure I can still beat him. I've never been in a tournament, so I'm not an expert on mindset preparation. The suggestion I have given has come from real life experiences. I find that going in full throttle has given me better results than going in halfheartedly and second-guessing myself.
I was talking more about the "If you lose, you lose," part. For me, it goes more like, "If you lose, then you didn't play your best." In Pokémon anyone can beat anyone. I don't care if I'm facing some undefeated battler who hasn't lost since ADV; I can find a way to win if I play right. Losing means I couldn't find a way to win, and I didn't play right. So I lose knowing I didn't play my best. Luck changes this, which is why I don't mind losing to bad luck. A lot of people feel differently. Some people would prefer to NEVER lose to luck, but for me it's better than losing to someone who completely dominates you the whole match.

Just one man's opinion.

I was talking more about the "If you lose, you lose," part. For me, it goes more like, "If you lose, then you didn't play your best." In Pokémon anyone can beat anyone. I don't care if I'm facing some undefeated battler who hasn't lost since ADV; I can find a way to win if I play right. Losing means I couldn't find a way to win, and I didn't play right. So I lose knowing I didn't play my best. Luck changes this, which is why I don't mind losing to bad luck. A lot of people feel differently. Some people would prefer to NEVER lose to luck, but for me it's better than losing to someone who completely dominates you the whole match.

Just one man's opinion.
I think that depends on your experience as a battler and how much you are able to get from your opponent's playing style. A mediocre battler such as myself would probably prefer losing to a superior opponent rather than luck/probability/chance/"hax"/whatever, but that's just me. Sometimes it all just comes down to your first move where you don't have any prior information, and it's the basic rock-paper-scissors gameplay. You don't know the other person's team, how they play, what their strategy is, or what their goal is. You can't assume anything at all. Sometimes the first move you make makes or breaks the game. You say that if you lose, you didn't play your best, but how can you "play your best" when there is no basis for choosing between your options? A perfect example of this would be with my battle with fostmeister. That first move won me the game.

Well, being confident is important like other people mentioned. Get your calculators ready, research your opponent and open some analyses. I feel a lot better if I know I tried everything I could. In terms of mindset, be ready to scout out their skill. Take calculated risks. Focus on the battle and take your time with your moves. Loosing because of a simple mistake yields a feeling that's far worse then loosing to hax or opposing skill.

You don't know the other person's team, how they play, what their strategy is, or what their goal is. You can't assume anything at all. Sometimes the first move you make makes or breaks the game. You say that if you lose, you didn't play your best, but how can you "play your best" when there is no basis for choosing between your options? A perfect example of this would be with my battle with fostmeister. That first move won me the game.
First I disagree that you cannot assume anything at all. You saw one of my teams in battle recently and you saw that I run Taunt on my lead Gengar. The reason is simply to keep Stealth Rocks from getting on the field from the getgo. And if we want to get picky and specific, the critical hit had a much bigger part in winning you that match than Stealth Rock. You won due to luck, and he should have won by killing you with Pursuit.

First I disagree that you cannot assume anything at all. You saw one of my teams in battle recently and you saw that I run Taunt on my lead Gengar. The reason is simply to keep Stealth Rocks from getting on the field from the getgo. And if we want to get picky and specific, the critical hit had a much bigger part in winning you that match than Stealth Rock. You won due to luck, and he should have won by killing you with Pursuit.
This is aside the point, but I came into the battle when both leads were dead.

Touche, I guess you can assume things with leads such as Bronzong as they are usually predictable, but you can't "assume" things such as the other player's critical opening choice. An example would be: should I Hypnosis with my Gengar and chance the Lum Berry, or get the hell out and not gamble with my ghost. Your taunt scenario also helps solidify my point. That is completely unconventional and may give you an upper hand in the battle early. No one is going to expect it, and therefore it isn't prepared for.

The critical hit and stealth rocks both had an equal impact if we are using that argument. If either one hadn't happened, I wouldn't have won.

A wise man by the name of Fland once told me, "go into every battle being confident, and see no possible way of losing.","most of all, assume your opponent is a complete moron." Having a premindset of "ok, theres no way I can lose this without hax" is an ideal one. And if you get outplayed? Well thats part of the game, confidence and smart gameplay is your best bet imo.

The critical hit and stealth rocks both had an equal impact if we are using that argument. If either one hadn't happened, I wouldn't have won.
This will be my last reply since we do seem to be drifting off the topic of preparing for a battle, but Stealth Rock was an occurrence that you had control over. Even if you were put to Sleep, you could have woken up later on and placed Stealth Rock on the field. The critical hit was an uncontrollable factor that has an extremely low chance of occurring, especially at that one key moment in time.

And I really don't get the whole "assume your opponent is an idiot". They're probably not if it is an important match, so taking this mindset will give your opponent a headstart. If they are good, they will take advantage and leave you in the dust.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What I do is the same thing I do for tennis matches. Go in with a positive attitude, and drown out all other thoughts by concentrating on breathing. Sounds wierd, but it works.

This will be my last reply since we do seem to be drifting off the topic of preparing for a battle, but Stealth Rock was an occurrence that you had control over. Even if you were put to Sleep, you could have woken up later on and placed Stealth Rock on the field. The critical hit was an uncontrollable factor that has an extremely low chance of occurring, especially at that one key moment in time.

And I really don't get the whole "assume your opponent is an idiot". They're probably not if it is an important match, so taking this mindset will give your opponent a headstart. If they are good, they will take advantage and leave you in the dust.
Unless he killed my Swampert before it woke up, but whatever.

I don't get that either. Don't you want to overestimate your opponent before thinking he's a moron? If he's a good player, and play as if he's a bad player, then you're the one being the bad player, and will probably end up losing.

Well, I guess I sort of disagree with Pulse. I'm okay at Pokemon. I'm not brilliant, but I win my fair share. Therefore, when I lose, it isn't always due to not doing my best. My best isn't always good enough.
To answer the original question...
I have never really been in a high-pressure battle. But I do know I battle best when I just calm down and take the time to think through every little decision. My first ever battle, I lost because I didn't realize my opponent had used Gravity. Since then, I take my time, turn off mah tunes, and concentrate.

I would say practice on clearing your mind, it helps you think. If you already know your strategies then just keeping in good mental condition helps. Getting some physical activity in there to keep the blood pumping is also good for you brain.

Testing out some surprises also doesn't hurt.

I sacrifice 12 african children. Seriously, if you know how the game plays there is no preparation, unless they were stupid enough to post their entire team on an RMT, in which case I'd study it.

Honestly, it's pokemon. Have fun.
You're on Smogon. People take their Pokemon very seriously here. :P

I don't do anything to prepare though. I have a habit of watching Pokemon battle videos on YouTube I guess, but other than that I don't do anything. I just battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)