1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 2 I could use some help... [RMT]

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Kannon, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Kannon

Kannon

Well, I've been battling GSC for a while now, but I'm not exactly that great at it. I like how my team looks on paper but I can't help but feel there's a lack of synergy in it.

[​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Lovely Kiss
    Fire Blast
    Earthquake
    Thunderbolt

Meh. Standard, but it works so long as I don't waste Lovely Kiss on a sleep talker

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Cross Chop
    Rock Slide
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast

All out attacker Machamp. Sometimes lures out Skarmory which he hits nicely with Fire Blast

[​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Return
    Lovely Kiss
    Belly Drum
    Earthquake

I love this thing. If I can get rid of Skarm and keep it from getting Phased he rips stuff apart. I don't like the idea of using Double-Edge with no recovery but if people see Lovely Kiss on Nidoking they almost never expect Lax to have it too.

[​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Counter
    Crunch
    Flamethrower
    Pursuit

He nails things that flee pretty hard with Pursuit. Counter is unexpected from my experience, but most people don't expect him to survive most things that he does anyways.

[​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Thunderbolt
    Drill Peck

Eh, I needed a sleep talker and a ground immunity/resist, so I thought I'd roll them into one. Plus, he's a good pokemon and is good at his job.

[​IMG]@ Leftovers
    Surf
    Thunder Wave
    Rest/???
    Dynamic Punch

My Paralysis support. He makes stuff slow enough for Snorlax to set up. Dynamicpunch for shits and giggles. And Blissey. I'm pretty sure I should use rest but I'm kind of opposed to it with no heal beller.

Well, there's my team. Criticize and rate away. If there's any major problems let me know.

EDIT: It may be off topic, but does smogon still have a netbattle server? Just wondering
  2. Thorns

Thorns

Dynamicpunch on Slowbro should never be used due to its terrible accuracy. Instead, run something like Psychic so you can touch other Waters, and to avoid WeezBliss from lol'ing at this team.

Two sleepers is a below average idea, you could just run standard Curselax.

Use Ice Beam or something over Tbolt on Nidoking, the coverage is better.
  3. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I used surf/zap cannon/dynamic punch/rest Slowbro with success on GSbot. Zap cannon is a decent compromise between thunder wave and damaging opposing water Pokemon. Slowbro can afford to miss - and the mere presence of its attacks will induce switching. I prefer thunder over bolt on Nidoking. The extra power is handy and it pays off handsomely should you paralyse an in-switching Starmie for example (who would brush off bolt with recover).
  4. JMC

JMC Old as dirt.
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Zap Cannon is a great surprise to promote switching, and it opens you to have psychic on your movelist, which is useful against the nastiness of Tentacruel.

On Nidoking, I'd almost be more apt for you to use Ice Beam instead of Thunder/bolt. Ice Beam is awefully nice to have Marowak/ground types on the switch, as well as better handle Zapdos. Earthquake is going to do a considerable amount of damage to Starmie, regardless.
  5. Ace777

Ace777

Well, Smogon once had a netbattle server but that was 2 years ago...
  6. Borat

Borat

Team synergy is one advanced bit of team making you never see mentioned in any guide (probably because only a few really understand and grasp its concepts). One of the easier ways to determining team synergy is to play out the battle scenario in your head, except this time, pretend your opponent has every Pokemon and move in their arsenal. Play out a series of hypothetical switches/attacks and see if you come out on top. Determine what needs to be changed to provide a better offensive or defensive match-up. Ask yourself questions. Is one Pokemon having a hard time switching in to anything? Is one Pokemon taking hits too often, thus limiting his potential? This is equivalent to "testing" that many players do, except far more comprehensive and not limited by how good or bad your opponents are.

On a side note, no decent player would switch Skarm into Machamp. And Slowbro's a bit of an oddball here; do the synergy thing mentioned above and you should see why.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)