1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Identity Duplicity 2 - empowered edition [Earthworm wins]

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by Accent, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Accent

Accent

Identity Duplicity 2
    empowered edition

Welcome to the second edition of ID!
    This is the game thread, where all the messages and other game-related events, along with discussion, will happen. Please refer to the signup post for rules and additional details, and to the PM pattern to make my life easier:

Sign-up post (open)
    Identity Duplicity - ID for short - is a game EW came up with where, basically, you must fool everyone else into thinking you aren't you - and at the same time, you must find out who the others are. However, this version will have new rules which will hopefully limit the guesses.

Even if you played in the first game, please read the bolded parts of this post and the new rules paragraph.

There will be twelve or more players and each of them must PM me an alias that they desire to use for the game. Aliases may be a maximum of 30 characters in length. All of the players and aliases will be posted in the main topic in alphabetical order when the game starts. I reserve the right to refuse some aliases.

Following this, there will be a repeated process called 'periods'. Each period will last for 24 hours (unless I can't be on to update at the deadline). During each period, all players will be required to do three things, and they are listed as follows:
    Players must submit a message which may be a question to be posted by the host in the thread that must be at least 25 words in length. It must make sense and be written in English. No player may submit the same message more than once during the entire game. Players may submit the same messages as others have submitted, however. The questions will be answered in the thread. The answers are not limited to 'yes' or 'no'; however, no more than one smogon name or one alias will be mentionned. If the message doesn't comply with these rules, it will not be posted but it will be specified that the alias sent an illegal message.
    Players must submit one alias that they wish to know the identity of. The identity of the alias submitted will be privately told to the player at the beginning of the next period.
    Players must submit a list of aliases and players which correspond to their guesses about which alias belongs to which player. They may not submit incomplete lists.

New rules:

Additionally, each player may send one anonymous message to the alias of their choice. The target will receive this message and know which alias sent it, but not the corresponding smogon name, at the end of the current period.

There is also a number of abilities that players may elect to use for a period. Only one ability may be use during a period. These abilities are listed as follows:
    Check: the player is told how many aliases he has assigned to the corresponding player. This can be used up to two times in the game.
    Spy: the player submits a question to be posted in the thread along with a target alias; the answer to both their question and their target's (if they asked something) will be given privately and not in the thread. This can be used only once.
    Disguise: the player chooses an alias and anyone inspecting him will get this alias as a result. This can be used twice in the game, but not with the same alias.
    Intercept: the player chooses an alias, and the host's messages for this period will be sent to both players (this includes the three main actions, and the eventual anonymous messages and ability results). This can be used only once.

(end of new rules)

The penalty for failing to submit a message is that for the next two periods, no lists or aliases are to be submitted by that player. There is no penalty for failing to submit the other parts, however, because that's just disadvantaging yourself. Any players that get substituted in for inactive players will assume the alias of the player they are subbing in for.

Players should attempt to work out which player is which alias through the alias, messages, abilities, and through talking to the players on IRC, the forums, in the thread, etc. Alliances and betrayals are encouraged, and the abilities will be more effective when working with/against other players.

The game ends once one or more players manage to submit an entirely correct list. The winner(s) of the game will be the player(s) who submits an entirely correct list first.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

PM Pattern (open)
    <Alias 1> = <Smogon name 1>
    <Alias 2> = <Smogon name 2>

Inspect <Alias>

Submit <Message>

[Send <Message> to <Alias>]

[Use <Ability>]

Players:
    Amelia
    Bass
    Da Letter El
    asim
    askaninjask
    Earthworm
    Kannon
    KnightoftheWind
    Kumar
    moot
    twashley
    Umbreon Dan

Aliases:
    ~The Communist Crusader~
    accent smells
    Amelia
    Bear Grylls
    Colour by numbers
    dak
    D0CT0R P3PP3R
    fuckniggercockshitnazimuffin
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
    Hannah Montana
    Snack Attack
    Will Smith

It is currently Period 0.
  2. Accent

Accent

I still lack some PMs, the deadline is approaching. Hurry up!

asim has been subbed in, replacing E.A.
    askaninjask has been subbed in, replacing Eo Ut Mortus
    Umbreon Dan, check your PMs

To all the other players, sorry for the inconvenience, bully these users to avoid this later. If when I wake up I don't have the PMs I'll just update without their actions.
  3. Accent

Accent

Period 1

No man.

-

Yes.

-

No smogon name is currently associated to that alias.

No.

Da Letter El.

-

Sir yes Sir.

-

(You're a) ZERO.

-

PMs are sent.

It is now Period 1.
  4. Accent

Accent

Just a quick clarification about the abilities, notably Disguise:

Say you are player Jennifer Garner, using alias Sydney Bristow. If you disguise as Elektra, you are effectively considered to be Elektra by all the abilities for that period, but you still remain Sydney Bristow for the game purposes. That mean no list will be completely correct unless they contain the line "Jennifer Garner = Sydney Bristow". Here is a list of possible situations that could happen in that case:
    • if someone inspects Elektra, they will be told that "Elektra is Jennifer Garner";
    • if someone inspects Sydney Bristow, they will be told that "Sydney Bristow is no one (the user is disguised)" - unless someone else is disguising as Sydney Bristow);
    • if someone somehow finds a way to discover who Jennifer Garner is, they will be told that "Jennifer Garner is Elektra".

An additionnal consequence is that when you use the Check ability, you could be told that you made 12 good guesses and still not win the game.

If two players disguise as the same alias, they will both get the anonymous messages sent to that alias (however the real owner of that alias won't get them). If that alias is inspected by someone, the result is randomly selected among the disguised players.

If there are any other unclear details, feel free to ask.
  5. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

i think people are scared to post lol
  6. Earthworm

Earthworm
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 6 Champion

Nobody should bother communicating with Umbreon Dan.

Code:
    [16:28:05] <Earthworm> u_d
    [16:44:59] <umbreon_dan> hello
    [16:46:01] <Earthworm> hi
    [16:46:06] <Earthworm> do you want to discuss Identity Duplicity
    [16:46:24] <Earthworm> we can make various degrees of information exchange
    [16:54:01] <umbreon_dan> okay
    [16:54:14] <Earthworm> ok
    [16:54:25] <Earthworm> do you wish to exchange inspection results
    [16:58:15] <umbreon_dan> okay
    [16:58:20] <Earthworm> o.o
    [16:58:24] <Earthworm> slow replies
    [16:58:40] <umbreon_dan> yeah i've been busy .-.
    [16:58:59] <Earthworm> ok
    [16:59:08] <Earthworm> who did you inspect
    [17:00:43] <umbreon_dan> i got <snip>
    [17:00:46] <umbreon_dan> how about you
    [17:00:55] <Earthworm> <snip>
    [17:01:12] <umbreon_dan> <snip>
    [17:01:20] <Earthworm> <snip>
    [17:01:21] <Earthworm> so
    [17:01:23] <Earthworm> who is <snip>
    [17:01:30] <umbreon_dan> you first imo
    [17:02:06] <Earthworm> ok
    [17:02:12] <Earthworm> <snip> is <snip>
    [17:02:38] <Earthworm> now who is <snip>
    [17:04:15] <Earthworm> umbreon_dan
    [17:07:04] <umbreon_dan> shouldn't inspections target the aliases >_>
    [17:07:54] <Earthworm> ?
    [17:07:56] <Earthworm> yes...
    [17:08:01] <Earthworm> the actual PM said
    [17:08:06] <Earthworm> <snip> is <snip>.
    [17:08:13] <umbreon_dan> oh i see
    [17:08:27] <Earthworm> so who is <snip>
    [17:09:27] <umbreon_dan> <snip> isn't <snip>
    [17:09:35] <umbreon_dan> i know who <snip> is already
    [17:09:40] <umbreon_dan> and i know who <snip> is
    [17:10:18] <Earthworm> then they lied to you
    [17:10:19] <Earthworm> ???
    [17:10:30] <Earthworm> <snip> is <snip>
    [17:10:33] <Earthworm> tell me your result
    [17:10:41] <umbreon_dan> okay <snip> is me
    [17:10:49] <Earthworm> ?
    [17:11:03] <Earthworm> what
    [17:12:08] <Earthworm> umbreon_dan
    [17:12:11] <Earthworm> what is that supposed to mean
    [17:12:12] <umbreon_dan> yes
    [17:12:16] <umbreon_dan> oh it means
    [17:12:25] <umbreon_dan> you shouldnt lie to me?
    [17:12:31] <Earthworm> i'm not lying
    [17:12:33] <Earthworm> -_-
    [17:12:39] <Earthworm> i have lied 0 times this game
    [17:12:47] <umbreon_dan> cool me too
    [17:13:08] <Earthworm> ,,,,,,,,,,,
    [17:13:10] <umbreon_dan> sorry lol
    [17:13:16] <Earthworm> what
    [17:13:23] <umbreon_dan> it's just really hard to believe you when i have three people telling me differently
    [17:13:30] <Earthworm> ,,,,,,
    [17:13:31] <umbreon_dan> >_>
    [17:13:35] <Earthworm> i inspected <snip>
    [17:13:38] <Earthworm> who are those three people
    [17:14:21] <Earthworm> tell me their names now or i will post that you are a liar that nobody should communicate with
    [17:15:01] <umbreon_dan> knock yourself out
    [17:15:09] <Earthworm> fine
    [17:15:27] <Earthworm> last chance
    [17:16:02] <umbreon_dan> for what lol
    [17:16:08] <umbreon_dan> umbreon_dan: knock yourself out
    [17:16:39] <umbreon_dan> try blackmailing somebody else imo
    I still haven't lied in this game, so if you want to make some use of that you should PM me on IRC!
  7. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

actually, this log suggests that earthworm is definitely a liar, and you shouldn't communicate with him. he tried to give me a fake inspection result.
    and yeah blackmail isn't good lol
  8. Earthworm

Earthworm
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 6 Champion

Why would I post a log that suggests that I'm a liar? I have already given my inspection results to two people, and the first was much more co-operative than you! There are definitely better people to talk to than Umbreon Dan unless you're desperate, and even then you'll probably just get cheated out of even a false result.

How was I blackmailing you at all? You agreed to something, I gave my end of the bargain and then you decided not to give up yours. Then I decided to post the log but I gave you a chance to keep your end first. It probably is 'technically' blackmail but I believe I was firmly in the right to be annoyed!
  9. Accent

Accent

Period 2

-

No.

Amelia.

Snack Attack.

D0CT0R P3PP3R.

No.

Three.

Kumar.

-

twashley.

Spy: 0, Disguise: 3, Check: 4, Intercept: 1. The part bewteen < and > is illegal.

Kumar.

PMs are sent.

Since I fucked-up and forgot to take the Spy ability into account the users who intended to use it will get a compensation.

I will no longer enforce the 25-words rules, as players just add random words to have a legal messages and it doesn't add a lot to the game, but please continue to submit messages that make sense as you have done so far! :)

It is now Period 2.
  10. Amelia

Amelia

Isn't it period 3 now?

Or rather sending in actions for period 3 now
  11. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

thank god nobody has won already
  12. Accent

Accent

Amelia the first period was 0, so it should be period 2 now... but it doesn't really matter :)
  13. Amelia

Amelia

O no wonder i was getting mixed up
  14. Accent

Accent

Ladies and gentlemen send in your PMs, deadline is in 5 hours as of this post!
  15. Accent

Accent

Period 3

No.

-

No.

moot.

Amelia.

I shall consider this is directed at me; it's asim.

-

Earthworm.

I'm afraid none were.

-

-

-

PMs are being sent.

It is now Period 3.
  16. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

noob you'll never guess my alias ^o^
  17. Amelia

Amelia

Goddamnit Colour by Numbers you had to spoil my disguise did you
  18. Accent

Accent

Game Over

Just kidding game over :)

Congratulations to Earthworm!

Congratulations to askaninjask too, who had a correct list but made a tiny change at the last minute which cost him a shared victory.

Thanks to you all for participating, I'm very satisfied (notably with your messages which had much more substance than for the previous game) - maybe the only problem is that sometimes some players mixed up aliases and smogon names when picking a target for their abilities, but it was no big deal. I think what granted EW the win is that he talked to a lot of people (who arguably didn't lie enough) and, well, knew most of the other players (he had an almost perfect list for period 0), which means the abilities weren't overpowered, so it's all good.

Here is the spreadsheet, for those who are interested.

The correct list was as follows:

Thanks again, and good luck in whatever other game you're in! :)
  19. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Just had to finish it off :P. Congrats Earthworm! If you can't tell by the spreadsheet, I was trying to team up with twashley to secure a victory, but to no avail alas.
  20. Earthworm

Earthworm

Thanks for hosting Accent, I had fun! There weren't as many organised lies as I thought there might have been. I could not work out Amelia's trick until he said something to me on MSN:

Working out that trick then allowed me to work out that asim was doing the same thing except more obvious:

Which was how I got the last aliases. I was still mildly worried that askaninjask was working an organised lies network with Umbreon Dan which would have messed me up for this period, which could also have meant that Snack Attack might not have been DLE, but I assumed he had told me the truth and sent the winning list on Period 2.

I still think this game has a lot of potential, and that we haven't yet found the best possible version so hopefully someone else is willing to host with some new ideas! This version was definitely better than the original, so thanks again Accent.
  21. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

i had the correct list

i contacted accent being like 'oh no i think something's wrong'
    i changed it
    i am sad now
  22. Amelia

Amelia

Lol
    That was dumb talking to you Earth
    I practically gave you the game on a plate...
  23. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=

ew, i forget whether you lied to me now and i can't figure out from all those snips who we were talking about

gg guys. definitely worth further explanation
  24. Accent

Accent

Note: Umbreon Dan definitely gets the award for best submission. Although, to be fair, moot's sponge dance wasn't bad at all either :D

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)