I'm sorry but...Competitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been on the forums for about a year now and I've noticed that everything and anything relating to Competitor has been erased. There aren't any updates of progress on the main page, and no one seems to have discussed it beyond a certain point (from what I've seen from the search function). Its almost like everyone took a vow of Competitor silence with the utmost cooperation of everybody on the forum. So the obvious question is, is Competitor still under development or has it been dropped? Please don't flame me, I have no idea what's going on.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
You're exactly right - the staff is taking basically a vow of silence. Here's whats up:

Competitor isn't dead. There is a lot of code for battle engine, server and client floating around.

However:

Competitor won't be done until I have time to work on it. Right now, ShoddyBattle is good enough. In fact, I'm glad ShoddyBattle was developed and came out as quickly as it did. Right now, I don't have time to work on both the site and Competitor, so I chose the concentrate on the site because ShoddyBattle already fills the simulator niche.

So:

Don't get your hopes up. We don't talk about it because we don't... want people to get their hopes up. Right now, we don't have a timeframe for it, and it IS a stalled project until the site is out of beta. :)

Aaah okay I see. Shoddy DOES fill the niche to some extent, but Netbattle (and most likely Competitor) was SOO much better in every way possible. Guess I shouldnt get my hopes up then...

Just a question... what was it that made Netbattle so much better than Shoddy? Unless Netbattle had animations I see no problem with Shoddy... Can someone explain all the shoddy hate to me?

Well, Netbattle had all the generations of the game and the interface was much better (especially the Team Builder). There is nothing wrong with Shoddy, but Netbattle was just more user friendly IMO.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I prefer Shoddy's team builder because I don't have to click "expert" to set settings that all competitive battlers need to use.

Yeah, I agree. Shoddy Battle is not as "pretty" as NetBattle. It changed the way you change EV spreads, and I got really confused. NetBattle is so much better than Shoddy will ever be.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I don't think there is anything else to say. Last thing this thread should be is a pro/con of NetBattle vs. Shoddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)