In-Game Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are basing Shoddy battle after Wi-fi conditions/tournament standards. Conditions that force you to have fully healed pokemon without status ailments at the beginning of every match. Would it not open up new move sets and strategies if we created a metagame based off the in-game world of pokemon?

In game, you have the choice between healing your pokemon with an item/running to the pokemon center, soft-boil..etc.OR continuing your trek through the wilderness with a poisoned ally at below 50% hp, encountering wild pokes and battlers alike. Given the choice to NOT heal your pokemon will aid in semi-ignored/overshadowed strategies that benefit from being at low hp (endeavor, reversal, flail), and status inflicting yourself (facade, Guts) without the need to hold certain items.

Inevitably, certain moves and pokemon will rise in popularity and pre-existing OU mons will be given a run for their money when faced with these new possibilities. Thoughts?
Sorry, not sure if this belongs on the shoddy battle portion of the forum :/

I'm sorry, are you assuming that I'm suggesting we use items? That's not what i intended at all. The inclusion of this idea into the preexisting metagame wont be terribly ground breaking, but I think moves like spore, t-wave and will-o-wisp will go down in use if pokemon come into battle already burned,frozen..etc. Items used in the game's "bag" will not be an option, just the option to go into battle with weakened pokemon

All I can see this being used for is auto-Poisoning/Burning things like Breloom and Heracross to activate their abilities while still allowing them to have an item other than Toxic/Flare Orb. Come to think of it, do you really want to run into a +1 Atk/+1 Spe or x2.25 Heracross? Because that's what happens when you activate Guts and have a Choice Scarf/Band. Breloom wouldn't be as broken, but Poison Heal+Leftovers+Substitute+Protect would make it a better Stallrein.

I see your point, but wouldn't defensive pokemon also benefit? Say, a burned Milotic @leftovers with rest talk could come into and absorb a Spore. It would make switching in easier when you can predict a wisp and send in a pokemon that's already paralyzed and only to your knowledge. With this we wouldn't rely solely on the handful and predictable natural cure users.

I see your point, but wouldn't defensive pokemon also benefit? Say, a burned Milotic @leftovers with rest talk could come into and absorb a Spore. It would make switching in easier when you can predict a wisp and send in a pokemon that's already paralyzed and only to your knowledge. With this we wouldn't rely solely on the handful and predictable natural cure users.
Your opponent would know that the poke is statused, if not specifically paralyzed. Status shows up on the screen, makes the pokeballs red, IIRC.

Milotic would already be able to absorb Sleep because it has Sleep Talk. IMO, it would be better for Milotic to fall asleep to activate Sleep Clause in most cases, especially against Breloom since Milotic really shouldn't stay to take a STAB SE Seed Bomb even with the boosted Defense. It would certainly help against Smeargle so you don't have a 1 in 3 chance to select Rest and do nothing, but the added damage from Burn means that you would have to Rest sooner and it would be a hinderance unless Milotic gets hit by Toxic and the total damage it receives from Burn is less than the damage it would have received from Toxic. Also, Ferrouswheel is correct, the Poke Balls turn a different color when the Pokemon is statused, although, I believe it turns dark grey on Shoddy.

True, they do show up on the screen, but your opponent doesn't know which pokemon it is at the start of the battle. They would just be shaded nameless balls at the moment, until they are brought into battle. This could lead to mind-games with the opponent and choosing between status or over prediction, especially if you had more than one statused pokemon on your team. For example, the opponent sends out a Blissey w/ thunder-wave. The opponent sees you have a statused pokemon(s) so it assumes you are going to bring it in to absorb the wave, so Bliss proceeds to SR or CM instead. You, in turn, bring out Luke or Champ. I hope that makes sense, and like Milo, Bliss is just an example. It would be silly to keep in a Milo against a Breloom. Also, with this idea, you can avoid being put to sleep altogether, instead of carrying a berry or the move sleep talk w/o rest.
I also know that we really have no game proof that an opponent's pokemons status MUST show up on the pokeballs at the beginning of a match, being that all battles with an opponent in-game are played with his pokemon being at full health every time (this includes the mandatory heal before a link battle). So we can only assume that the match would start with red shaded balls. Although, the same cannot be said for you, the player, for once you enter a wild battle or in-game fight, you see the status of your pokes through the balls BUT does the AI know that? Can the opponent see the red shaded balls? Unfortunately, the AI in pokemon is pretty pitiful from what I remember and I could never tell if they are taking advantage of the assumed knowledge they have on us, the player.

I think the place this would befifit the most is for slower pokemon. Good luck taking down a paralyzed curselax or a paralyzed blissey (who could focus on serene grace without worrying about status). I believe this would be the biggest impact. A tyranitar which can't be burned, at the cost of attacking last. Same goes for Dusknoir. In UU, guts activated Hariyama would be a beast, as would quick feet Ursurang. Well, you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)