In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
If you take the time to Exp Share Shikijika then it turns into a kill machine with Wood Horn/Jump Kick/Take Down/Cheer Up or filler. It recovers by itself, hits with STAB take down, and etc. Upper Mid I would say.

IIRC Shikijika doesn't get a physical Grass attack until LV 37(which IIRC should have already evolved into Mebujika) and its only Grass attack until then is Energy Ball, which runs off its 'same-as-Luvdisc's Special Attack.

If you take the time to Exp Share Shikijika then it turns into a kill machine with Wood Horn/Jump Kick/Take Down/Cheer Up or filler. It recovers by itself, hits with STAB take down, and etc. Upper Mid I would say.
It's also avaliable after a 4th Gym, which lowers it's ranking somewhat.

It also suffers from the same thing Snivy does, being a Grass Type. And therefor, is dead weight at Gyms 6, 7, and 8 [Although less so due to Normal-type moves, and Jump Kick]

Grass is just a dreadful type in Gen 5 in-game. Its the Chikorita Syndrome all over again. Offensivly inept Grass starter, and the gyms are all stacked against you. The only Grass type in-game who should be above Lower-Mid is Cheruine, and that's because she has Butterfly Dance and Sleep Powder.

TBH that's very excessive. You have clearly never played with Chikorita at all, have you?

And Nitro Charge is truly a big part of its power. You use it at the start of a battle and then sweep from there. Hell, with a starter only run, this should be ridiculously easy (also how the fuck do you still have Take Down and why the fuck do you have Boiling Water)?

Obviously, the lack of Heat Stamp is also a cause of your issue... if one STAB's power is so ridiculously small, you can expect adverse affects.
u SO mad.

Boiling Water because I had a Mild nature, and I did not wanted to waste a special attack that was less than 10 points lower than my physical attack.

wtf does Chikorita have to do with this, anyway? She may be my favorite gen 2 starter, but ugh, that's the hard mode all the way considering there's a type disadvantage in 6 gyms. Chikorita sucks for johto runs.
What Im trying to say here, is that despite my likes/dislikes I'm attempting to be as objective as possible.

Boiling Water is a good check to other Fire-types, as well as Ground-types. It also helps bypass physically bulky pokemon.

I see no reason why not to use it, Emboar's Sp.attack isn't BAD.

My moveset for Emboar ended up being Nitro Charge/Brick Break/Wild Bolt/Head Smash. Only time it ever went down was in the E4 [Gilma's Crocodile surprised me with it's speed, it was faster than me at +1, and I and a +Speed Nature, and a 29 IV], and against N/That Sazandora.

Why no Heat Stamp? I didn't like the idea of having an attack based on weight advantage, nor did I want to lose Nitro Charge, or give up coverage. I never suffered a power issue.

I'm not understanding why Hitomoshi is so low. Chandela is an absolute beast and one of my favourite team members for sure. Yuniran is also great in the scenario you're not choosing Shinbora, for various reasons.

Zorua: low tier. It took forever to level up, and now that it's level 50 nearing endgame it's still dying to stupid stuff like level 39's in victory road. It's defenses are ass, its typing is poor and its offensive moves are Night Slash, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. It usually takes two of these moves to kill anything even if I'm 10 levels higher and one strong attack and Zoroark's dead. The only reason it might even barge into mid is if you use the Level 50 event instead so you have Bark Out, as well as because one Nasty Plot (level 54) and you can actually solo 3/4 of the elite four because of how their typing is in this game. Otherwise, awful for everything else

Virizion/Terakion: low-mid and low respectively. I can't find anything useful to do with these guys. Sacred Sword runs out quickly and even then it doesn't hit that hard. I caught a level 30 Kojondo that's more reliable. I haven't tried Cobalon yet, which I assume might be better since it's caught way earlier than Terakion and has Iron Head instead of shitty ass grass moves, as well as the availability of Flash Cannon.

Genies: first run I'm on black so I have the shittiest - Tornelos. Whatever, Air Slash comes at a reasonable time and there are a lot of good TM special moves that are available in these games (Focus Blast, Grass Knot). Plus he's my fly bitch. Hits hard, typing is okay, I'd put him in Mid since he comes at level 40 and only needs two levels before he can start contribute in the Elite Four. Sure he comes late, but he's one of those pokemon that tops off your party instead of trying to level up near the end. He wasn't all that hard to catch either - however you can only catch him in the mornings (maybe afternoons). I was patrolling Route 5/Raimon gate, took him down to 1hp with one thunderbolt, saved, patrolled some more, took 3 quick balls and roughly 10 minutes to catch him.

Who, in your opinion, makes a better Flying-type? Shinbora or TornadoGenie?
I really don't mind grinding Shinbora nor waiting for the genie, personally. And both have cool sprites.

IMO Shinpora is much better, since it has a much better movepool, a better growth curve and even though its SpAtk and speed are not that high(they're fantastic for in-game, just pale in comparison to Tornelos) its got just the right moves to work with in Air Slash/Shadow Ball/Psychic. Thats really all you need, so it opens up a slot for Fly. Although if you want to go mixed or something you can go with the Genie. Personally I'd always go with Shinpora though.

Also no love for Archeos?

Archeos, in my opinion, would totally be god tier both ingame and competitively if it werent for its ability.
I used it in my very frist run, and I the fact that I had to heal after almost every battle was a pain. Then again, when his level was high enough, I could ohko stuff without worrying about healing.
Annoying? A lot. Worth it? imo, yes.

Yeah the only bad thing about Archeos is that Aaken is rather weak with Faint-Hearted, but I found it pretty easy to level it up in Yagurama forest(i hope i got that right). Once he evolved he pretty much OHKOed everything, just with Acrobat+QuakeEdge(which were actually rock slide +dig but w/e). I never really worried about its ability, really I don't even remember if it activated at any crucial point.

If it wasn't for Archeos ability, he may well be Uber, or at least very high OU, but thats another thing entirely.

But, as in-game foes tend to be weaker than competitive foes, and SR isn't all over the place, Archeos is in the Top Teir, that's for sure. After the 3rd Gym is somewhat early.

Also, for the suggestion about Hitmoshi:

He comes quite late, almost at the 6th Gym. Hitomoshi and its middle form are rather weak. Shanndera is OK, but you need all 8 badges before you can get a Dusk Stone. Sanderas big weakness is that it's somewhat slow.

Ok, I'm playing through White for a second time(using a different starter). I just defeated the 2nd Gym, and currently all I have is a Chaobuu(I didn't find anything good really, and its not like I plan on getting a full 6 member team). However, I'm now looking for a Grass type. I've got three choices: a Timid Churine, a Quirky Kurumiru and an Adamant Yanappu(grass monkey). Which should I pick?

Also, is it worth going for Washibon? I understand there's Shinpora and Archeos but I've played with them earlier and it would be nice to get a change. And what about Shibarudon(electric type levitater)? He does have pretty good mixed stats and a great movepool including stuff like Flamethrower and Brick Break alongside the always useful electric attacks...

Timid Churine is he best possible nature for it, ingame and competitively, imho.
Gogogo Churune.
Washibon is just a brutal pain in the butt to train.

Training Rufflet (Washibon) is a bit difficult, but the payoff is well worth it. Braviary is really awesome ingame, it's a shame you can't get a hold of him earlier. I picked up a Rufflet before I took on the eighth gym and started grinding. He was amazing for E4 and after, but I can see how the slow growth rate and high evolution level combine with the late availability to make him undesirable.
I may trade in a Rufflet egg early for my next playthrough, just for fun. That'd be interesting.

KokoaKiwi said:
Comes late and doesnt learn any moves until it evolves...
It comes in the thunderstone cave, same place as denchura, and I wouldn't call it that late. It comes just before the flying gym, so with some Lucky Egg abuse it would evolve in the gym itself(not to mention plasma grunts in the cave). I haven't got a problem with training that thing, only real problem is obtaining the tms.... where are stuff like Dragon Claw and Brick Break located?

It comes in the thunderstone cave, same place as denchura, and I wouldn't call it that late. It comes just before the flying gym, so with some Lucky Egg abuse it would evolve in the gym itself(not to mention plasma grunts in the cave). I haven't got a problem with training that thing, only real problem is obtaining the tms.... where are stuff like Dragon Claw and Brick Break located?
According to Bulbapedia (note: I have not played the games and thus will not make comments on tiering in-game):

Dragon Claw is on Victory Road.
Brick Break is in Sekka City.

Also, the earliest Dusk Stone for Hitomoshi/Litwick to evolve from Ranpura/Lampent into Shandera/Chandelure is found in Fukiyose Cave, same location as Axew and Cobalion. Interesting note for those who want a Chandelure before Gym 7. (note that you can only have Lampent by Gym 6, I.E. the first gym the Litwick family can participate in.)

*sigh* Just defeated the E4, so now essentially I'd have to face Zekrom next. >_>

Renbu: Eh, I messed up a bit here. Couldn't increase my Speed because of some shit known as Nageki, so I had to make do with -2 Speed... quite fatal because I miscalculated the power of Dageki's Stone Miss and Ononokusu died as a result. Blargh. Roob was a pain in the ass as usual and I needed Heat Stamp to critical.

Caitlin: Seriously. This was really funny, since I had Hahakomori whose +2 X-Scissor one-shots REUNICULUS. What. Shinbora came in to spoil the party but epic failed when Zeburaika came out and Caitlin wasted her Full Restores on Shinbora... only for Zeburaika to stomp it to death. I sacked Zeburaika on Musharna to heal Hahakomori, then essentially, SWEEP.

Shikimi: Pure shit, because I entered the wrong door(I was planning to do Giima 3rd. >_>) Hahakomori was given Brightpowder then quite literally swept Shikimi with Shadow Claw.
(Brightpowder was to ensure that Fire Miss quite literally missed.)

Giima: The one thing that made me want to go 'FFFFFFFFFFFF-'. Dokketosu managed to get 4 Bulk Ups in on Zuruzukin, OHKO'd with Hammer Arm, then out popped Lepardas.
START OF TURN 7
Lepardas used Fake Out!
Dokketosu took 7 dmg(lol)

START OF TURN 8
Lepardas used Attract!
Dokketosu is immobilized by love!(shit)

START OF TURN 9
Lepardas used Aerial Ace!
Me: meh even SE attacks have trouble breaking Dokketosu when he's like 80% HP and +4 Defense
Lepardas: CRITICAL RAPE
Dokketosu: X_X
Me: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

Oh you, Brick Break is a gift from a lady in the Sekka pokemon center. Additionally, you can buy Thunder, Blizzard, and Fire Blast for 50k each, if I remember correctly. Totally worth buying at least one if you're using Chandelure/Denchura(forgot her english name >_>)

Oh you, Brick Break is a gift from a lady in the Sekka pokemon center. Additionally, you can buy Thunder, Blizzard, and Fire Blast for 50k each, if I remember correctly. Totally worth buying at least one if you're using Chandelure/Denchura(forgot her english name >_>)
Galvantula :P
So,how soon do you get Chandelure?

Right before the sixth gym you go on the Tower of Heaven. On the first floor Hitomoshi/Litwick is literally the only pokemon you'll find, from level 26 to 29. It's a brutal pain in the butt to train, but there's a nurse that heals you everytime you talk to her, so you can train killing other baby candles.
After beating the sixth gym, you get the Surf HM, allowing you to get a dusk stone in Cobalon's cave. If you don't have a surfer (you don't NEED it), you can get another dusk stone in the route above Souryuu City, before the 8th gym.

If you want more Dusk Stones, there's 3 options:
*You can find them in the dust swirls at the Great Hall
*If you're really lucky, your Black City well sell them. Remember that BC's trainers and market items randomize every playthrough and are set when you start the game, kinda like Lati@s's nature in RS.
*Pickup ability

edit: If you decide to grind Litwick in the ToH, you'll simultaneously level him up while EV training special attack, which is amazing if you're a patient fella.

Holy shit. My current party is Snivy (she doesn't evolve. period.), Futachimaru, and Sandile, all level 24, and Arti's raping me hard. I'm thinking of switching around Croco for Drilbur...thoughts? I really like both of them, sprite wise. D:

Edit: finally beat Arty, but really, Mole or Croco? >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)