In Game Tiers, Platinum Edition!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah can't believe I missed out Munchlax. I think he should have a pretty high ranking as well because, sure, like Heracross, you have to go through all the Honey crap, but happiness (yes I know time consuming and all) gets him to Snorlax, who's a beast. Can use Crunch, Body Slam, Yawn, Rest, Sleep Talk, Belly Drum and Giga Impact, all by level up. You could even give him Return, which you get right at the start of the game, so not that much of a detriment.

Also I hear what you're saying about Pikachu and Ralts. Obedience is an annoying thing at the start of the game and Ralts is a dead weight but it learns Confusion which, yes, is a crap move but at least it can handle it's own until it evolves into Kirlia. Might I add that Kirlia learns Magical Leaf at level 22, Calm Mind at level 25 and, if you evolve it into a Gardevoir, as said before by Seriin, Psychic at level 31, quicker than Alakazam, Espeon and, obviously, Gengar, who needs a TM. By the time Espeon learns Psychic Gardevoir could've (just about) learn't the Hypnosis-Dream Eater combo by level up.

Munchlax is nowhere near an A man, what are you talking about. ONE PERCENT means out of A HUNDRED TREES you slther you will get ONE MUNCHLAX.
Plus, Its one of the slowest pokemon in the game, and when youre not going first, you are wasting time

Eevee should be an B-rank. You get it at level 20 and most of your team should be level 20 (unless you overtrain). You can evolve it assuming that you got at least one stone (on a side not it learns bite at 29, something moderately useful against Fantina). Plus, Eevee has some evolutions that may be helpful throughout the game.

Hippopotas should be an E because of the fact it is rare and no one (running a speed run) would want to waste 15 minutes catching various unowns just so they can increase there chances of getting one. It learns Earthquake by level up so that is a plus.

And Munchlax is not that helpful in game especially since you would have to rely on lick or metronome to have it do decent damage to anything. It's experience growth is one of the slowest in the game, so why would it be an A ranking if getting it to be decent is time consuming?

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I think Eevee should be separated per evolution, as they are completely different Pokémons.

Vaporeon is incridebly usefull with only Surf + Aurora Beam (learnt by level up), and IMO should be high rank B, maybe even A.

All other evolutions are pretty bad tho, and should be around D/E :/

I think Eevee should be separated per evolution, as they are completely different Pokémons.

Vaporeon is incridebly usefull with only Surf + Aurora Beam (learnt by level up), and IMO should be high rank B, maybe even A.

All other evolutions are pretty bad tho, and should be around D/E :/
Jolteon would like a word with you.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Jolteon gets poor coverage with a poor level-up movepool. Vaporeon only needs one HM and a level-up learnt Aurora Beam.

If you only use 1 starter (Infernape,) and you're lucky, Budew's usefulness extends far beyond Wake. Roserade is perhaps the strongest Grass-type in the game, especially if you find a good nature for it like I did (Who knew my Roserade was Timid?) It's REALLY useful in E4, where it Giga Drain/Energy Balls all but Gliscor for almost 100% OHKO, and with Shadow Ball and a +Speed nature it outspeeds a number of Lucian's Pokemon, too, KOing them. Need I say its usefulness against Cynthia's Milotic? I say it gets an A- at least.

Quick question, why are Dialga and Palkia listed so low while Giratina is listed so high? They are obtained at the same time, at the same level (47), and, at least in Palkia's case, access to STAB Surf coming off of base 150 attack makes Bertha and Flint a joke.

Quick question, why are Dialga and Palkia listed so low while Giratina is listed so high? They are obtained at the same time, at the same level (47), and, at least in Palkia's case, access to STAB Surf coming off of base 150 attack makes Bertha and Flint a joke.
This is for Platinum only; you won't get Dialga or Palkia until after the E4, and need to do a reasonable amount of exploring to get them even then.

You will need to find their orbs first and foremost before they even show up to battle you (not too difficult) and also they are at lvl 70 not 47.

It's REALLY useful in E4, where it Giga Drain/Energy Balls all but Gliscor for almost 100% OHKO, and with Shadow Ball and a +Speed nature it outspeeds a number of Lucian's Pokemon, too, KOing them. Need I say its usefulness against Cynthia's Milotic? I say it gets an A- at least.
That... depends on what level Roserade is at. I found it underwhelming at the E4 when I used a 4-mon core team.

Ralts should be B or higher. It kind of sucks at initial catch, though IIRC it evolves into Kirlia pretty quickly (like 2 or 3 levels). Kirlia's base stats are also underwhelming, but at least it's an improvement...

Assuming Gardevoir, the whole line gets Psychic rather early. Additionally, there are several other options for coverage, e.g. Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball, Magical Leaf (lol), etc. However, the kicker here is Calm Mind + Wish, which lets Gardevoir single-handedly dominate enemy special attackers even if it is underlevelled, which IMO is an important trait to have.

I'm not sure where Gligar has been tiered, but he is easily an A. The only thing keeping him out of the S rank is a reliance on TM moves (fun fact, Gligar is the only pokemon to learn NO STAB moves by level up). But with the moveset of Swords Dance, Ice Fang, Earthquake, and Aerial Ace it absolutley decimates the Elite Four. He can single handedly beat the first 3 members of the Elite Four if he's around level 52 or so.

Gligar is also pretty useful against the gym leaders as well. He is great against Maylene due to a nice fighting resist and great base defense, not to mention the Earthquake TM that you picked up twenty feet from where Gligar is caught can 2HKO all her Pokemon. Falkner is a joke for Gliscor, as none of his Pokemon can do any serious amount of damage.

So yea, the only thing keeping him out of the S tier is the fact that his optimal moveset requires two TMs and one Heart Scale.

Houndour - B (Not much early levelup, no special Dark STAB by levelup, but Flamethrower and Nasty Plot are good. Reasonably early acquisition and early evolution)
Magnemite - C (Not great levelup, late available, but strong and easy to evolve)
Yanma - B (Excellent lategame but lateish and poor before Air Slash at L54; Hypnosis)
Gligar - A (Available early, SD at L34, Earthquake TM can be taken earlier and used well here - SD/EQ/Slash is OK for most of the game)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a FYI: I got HG | SS being built up.

Also I wonder if Piplup should really be under Magikarp. Piplup is solid throughout the game while Magikarp goes through a serious period of suck until it evolves and gets Dragon Rage.

Just a FYI: I got HG | SS being built up.
Yay! I've been wanting someone to do this!
Also I wonder if Piplup should really be under Magikarp. Piplup is solid throughout the game while Magikarp goes through a serious period of suck until it evolves and gets Dragon Rage.
I don't think the list is arranged in any order beyond tier, so I think Magikarp and Piplup are on equal footing (If this isn't true, then why is Unown not at the very bottom).

Also, could a mod edit this list sometime soon? There have been a lot of solid arguments made about where the unlisted Pokemon should go.

I dont thing Zubat is outclassed by starly at all :|.
Crobat has higher speed and more overall bulkyness than Starivia, and Starivia has poor typing and is not even that powerful.

I take Zubat anyday.

I think it should at least be a B, if not an A

I dont thing Zubat is outclassed by starly at all :|.
Crobat has higher speed and more overall bulkyness than Starivia, and Starivia has poor typing and is not even that powerful.

I take Zubat anyday.

I think it should at least be a B, if not an A
Zubat is suck cuz in game, the majority of the battles are against team galactic, who love to use Poison/Steel types, both of which makes Zubat's attacks ineffective. Intimidate is sexy on a starting flyer, and you don't have to do all this happiness stuff to evolve it to crobat.

Zubat is suck cuz in game, the majority of the battles are against team galactic, who love to use Poison/Steel types, both of which makes Zubat's attacks ineffective. Intimidate is sexy on a starting flyer, and you don't have to do all this happiness stuff to evolve it to crobat.
And the fact that Staraptor get's a sexy CloseCombat and Brave Bird ;D

And the fact that Staraptor get's a sexy CloseCombat and Brave Bird ;D
The main reason why it is more useful than Crobat. For Crobat, you need to evolve it by happiness, it doesn't get Brave Bird by level up/heart scale(egg move), Zubat evolves pretty late at 22, gets Wing Attack later(17 as opposed to Starly at 9), and has shitty moves until level 13(Bite). Crobat also doesn't have STAB Return, which is extremely powerful. Oh yeah, Intimidate at level 15 is just insanely good. I didn't think there would be any argument surrounding Crobat vs. Staraptor, because it is pretty clear that Staraptor is just better.

Spiritomb: D- mucking around in the Underground with two DS units takes too much time, and it's slow as dirt to boot.
Eevee/Jolteon: B- gotten at a decent level when you enter Hearthome, but it doesn't get good STAB for a while; needs a TM to really be effective. Thunder is easily replenishable not too far off, though.
Eevee/Flareon: C- see Jolteon, but with a terrible stat distribution. Still, Fire-types are limited...
Eevee/Vaporeon: A- gotten at a decent level, can get Brine shortly after you get it, using that until you get the Surf HM. Powerful, very bulky.
Eevee/Umbreon: D- happiness+time evolution is a pain, and it hits about as hard as a one-legged beggar.
Eevee/Espeon: C- great stats, but, as with the other Eeveelutions, needs a TM for STAB when you get it, and probably has the worst movepool of the bunch. Outclassed by Jolteon.
Eevee/Leafeon: D- hits fairly hard, reasonably bulky, but terrible typing. It'll be using Bullet Seed for STAB when you get it, and nothing else until it gets Giga Drain near the end of the game. Moss Rock is kind of out of the way.
Eevee/Glaceon: F- hits like a truck, is fairly bulky, and has great STAB, but it requires you to keep Eevee on your party for most of the game without evolving it to get it at a good level. Ice Rock is simply too late in the game for this to be useful.
Gligar: A- fairly easy to find, not out of the way, and it's very bulky and fairly powerful when you get it. Reasonably early on, you get the Razor Fang, and this thing becomes an offensive and defensive powerhouse of Biblical proportions. Nice movepool, for the most part, but it's lacking STAB without a TM.

The main reason why it is more useful than Crobat. For Crobat, you need to evolve it by happiness, it doesn't get Brave Bird by level up/heart scale(egg move), Zubat evolves pretty late at 22, gets Wing Attack later(17 as opposed to Starly at 9), and has shitty moves until level 13(Bite). Crobat also doesn't have STAB Return, which is extremely powerful. Oh yeah, Intimidate at level 15 is just insanely good. I didn't think there would be any argument surrounding Crobat vs. Staraptor, because it is pretty clear that Staraptor is just better.
Before D/P/P Zubat line was actually usefull though, since Pidgeot, Noctowl and to some extent Swellow weren't that good versus Crobat, but with Staraptor (Note: Staraptor is the only region bird that's BL) is what Zubat line keeps behind,

Before D/P/P Zubat line was actually usefull though, since Pidgeot, Noctowl and to some extent Swellow weren't that good versus Crobat, but with Staraptor (Note: Staraptor is the only region bird that's BL) is what Zubat line keeps behind,
Well, of course, but this is the Platinum tiers thread, and if you want to get good birds in 1/2/3 gen, you would still grab Fearow/Dodrio/Skarmory/Tropius anyways(the latter two because of HM capabilities, and the fact that flying isn't very important in 2/3 gen as far as typing goes).

The fastest way to beat the game is to just blast through it with Infernape and grab the legendary pokemon on the way (assuming you should be getting it). Add 2 HM slaves and you're done.

But then that's extremely boring so...
Starter / Gyarados / Garchomp / Starmory / Bibrael / X

Hoothoot (D)- HORRID base stats, 1 or 2 good moves factoring TMs (Roost and Psychic). At least you can catch it in Eterna Forest.

Spirtomb (D)- Relies on a hard and time consuming side mission, stats somewhat like Bronzong. He does not have any hindering weaknesses though (in fact, he doesn't have weaknesses at all!)

Wooper (C)- Has a good typing (and is caught past the gym with his one weakness) and a great ability (water absorb), only to be dragged down by a bad ability (damp), the fact that you're starter is evolved when he get's his best attack (EQ), and a _decent_ base stat total. Outclassed by Gyara, and Floatzel to an extent.

Wingull (D)- Caught after the fourth gym, low speed upon evolution, bad movepool.

Girafarig (B)- Usable stats and good movepool, odd yet great typing. Caught a bit late though.

Hippopotas (C)- Caught late, involves tedios side quest, slow ability, just slow. Workable typing and movepool.

Azurill (D)- Nigh on imposible to get in decent time, one of it's abilities stinks. Huge power Azumarril is good, but... just pass this one up.

Skorupi (D)- I personally don't want to spend days waiting at the binoculars, wasting money to find a pokemon with OK typing and bad attacks.

Croagunk (D)- "". This pokemon is most notable for the _hours_ spent trying to get one with a Black Sludge.

Carnivine (D)- Looking past Power whip and Crunch, what do you get? A whole lot of nothing.

Remoraid (A) - Get a good rod, and you can instantly have a pokemon with, quite possibly, the best movepool in the game. It is slow, and it has a somewhat bad type, but you can easily have Surf, Ice Beam, Charge Beam, Psychic, Energy Ball, Wring out, Focus Energy, Flamethrower, Sludge bomb, Signal Beam... my head is spinning!

Finneon (C) - Decent movepool (flying, water, ice, bug.), and bad stats. Outclassed by Remoraid.

Tentacool (C) - Great stats, bad attacking type. Not to good movepool, and caught late. At least you'll never have trouble finding it.

Mantyke (C) - Tentacool with a bad evolution method, a bit rarer, and SLIGHTLY better attacking types.

Snover (D) - Ice and Grass are good STABS, but a bad ability, a slightly underwhelming movepool, and a VERY lategame catch makes a bad pokemon.

Gligar (C) - Mr. "I don't learn a STAB move by level up is also outclassed by Gible.

Nosepass (C) - Proof that an early game capture and evolution, plus a steel type do NOT a good pokemon make. Bad movepool, ROCK/STEEL (aka one of the worst defensive typings in the game) type, not so good stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)