Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reminder that ~6 days are left. Those who didn't submit their teams yet, please do it asap.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Time's up!

Here's the theme for Round 5:

Overwhelming

Make a team with at least two Pokemon with base Attack or Special Attack stat greater than 125. Megas count

credits EonX

As always, two weeks to complete your dishes. Deadline is March 25th at 11:59 EST!
Round 4 results will be posted in a few days!

feen

control
Results time!
Originality: 2

Pretty bland Sun team, but I at least like the attempt of using Diancie over Liepard, which is the 2nd setter most choose

Use of Theme: 4.5

Sun sweepers love easy access. Explosion and Memento do that very effectively and it goes with the theme. Strong option here

Effectiveness: 6

Without Mega Abomasnow terrorizing the tier, Sun teams are a little bit better. Still pretty dependent on matchup, but at least a bit better with mega Snow gone and this team takes advantage of that.

2+4.5+6-1=11.5

Originality: 4

Explosion Steelix and Glalie are something you don't see everyday.

Use of Theme: 3
Honestly don't see how the Explosions benefit the team, especially since the team has a random Granbull, which could be swapped for a hard hitter that benefits hazards. Would have loved to see Explosion dual Spikes Qwilfish over Glalie too.

Effectiveness: 5.5
Team looks like it was built hastily, weak to Special attackers like Sigilyph Meloetta Hoopa and SpA Flygon

4+3+5.5+2=14.5

Originality: 5.0

To me, this is like taking a similar idea to chakra and kicking it up several notches. Fast Taunt custap lix is really cool and explosion serves a great purpose of blocking defog and spin while denting stuff really hard. Memento Mismagius is nice as well for creating set-up opportunities for durant/omastar/sigi while also offering a sweeper in itself, as well as immunities to ground, fighting, and normal, which is really useful on offense. Omastar takes the cake as a nice sweeper that fits kinda well with the team and isn't used much.

Explosion Lix is well used and Memento Mismag is also a clever thought, although placing it along with nasty plot is questionable as to whether this is optimal (which is why you won't get full points), but certainly not bad. Explosion glalie as an extra that helps out durant by denting stuff like megalix really hard. Good stuff.

Effectiveness: 6.5

With a lot of experience with a similar type of build in the past, I can see that this team is certainly getting there but not quite as good as it could be. The style of this team really hinges on creating sweeping opportunities for each other and breaking each others counters, which is where stuff like Sigi + Oma (like for scarf emboar, although I don't understand sash cm sigi) or Glalie + Durant (to break physical walls like lix) fit in. The team is, however, kinda slow and isn't so well perfectly crafted that it can set up on stuff like scarf ttrum or scarf ant as well. I think if this is the case, you either need to add your own speed (accelgor to outrun scarf base 80's, your own scarfer which kinda kills the purpose of this team, or sticky web). I think webs smeargle with a move like memento would be particularly effective in this team since it immediately places up hazards you want and create set-up for the team while still blocking opposing hazard removal. With explosion on glalie (get rid of double shard lol) you can be free to run taunt on mismagius, which tends to be a lot more useful overall on teams like this (blocking defog and helping with stall). Omastar, Durant, and Sigi become especially effective sweepers under webs, and glalie is a stellar wallbreaker to go with the whole team and works great under webs.

5+4.5+6.5-1=15

Originality: 3

Pretty standard Trick Room, but I do like Memento Gallade and the use of Cacturne in general

Use of Theme: 4

Again, Memento Gallade gets you some nice points here. Explosion Zong is p. common with Trick Room, but effective nonetheless. Just hard for Gallade to get both TR up and Memento with that physical bulk

Effectiveness: 6.0

Like most full TR teams, heavily matchup dependent. You have reliable ways to get your abusers in due to Memento and Explosion, but very suseptible to Taunt without Mental Herb Bronzong.

3+4+6+2+2-1=16

Originality: 4

Gourgeist and non Web Smeargle. Nice stuff

Use of Theme: 3

Idk how Trick Room aids this type of team, no dedicated lead (ofc Smeargle is one, but doesnt really set up Trick Room)

Effectiveness: 5

Good lord the Fletchinder weakness just ruins it. Opposing Camerupt and Delphox also pressures the team a lot. Toxic Spikes are redundant

4+3+5+2=14

Originality: 5.0

Magic Room + Scarf Relic Song PuP Meloetta + HWish Clefairy. Also rocking a pelipper, Easily full points.

Magic Room + Memento seems really nice to try to get that meloetta sweep you desire so badly. Clefairy's use of healing wish, which we haven't seen from any of the other teams, is also a nice touch to aid not just the melo sweep but the whole team in general, without clefairy even being forced to act as a suicidal mon since it can use softboiled + twave and moonblast without dropping that hwish till you need to.

Effectiveness: 5

This team is really odd because outside of the meloetta sweeping, I don't see a clear path for the whole team to go on. Uxie is kinda useless other than spreading para and u-turning before u go for the melo sweep, and clefairy, while twave is good, may not be fully used as it could because it is weak and without cm, unlikely to force switches, meaning the use of twave is probably limited. You also don't have many notable targets to hwish up other than emboar, lix, or maybe melo, all in pretty situational circumstances. Air Slash pelipper may seem nice for the accuracy, but you really need all the power you can get. At least since maboma's gone, having air slash isn't too bad. Your explanation behind emboar is kinda nice, but I think if you're gonna really go with only having the win condition of melo setting up in magic room, you need to lure some stuff out to eliminate them. People aren't gonna switch their rock and steel types into emboar and get eliminated, and when your team is lacking in win conditions (and your major one is highly circumstancial), you need to make sure your whole team works towards getting your end goal of that melo sweep. I would have considered coba berry somewhere, and perhaps some unique coverage moves in a more offensive version of the team. I do, however, appreciate your efforts with this more balanced approach and it is surprisingly good for magic room, although i'm not convinced its one of the better teams i've seen.

5 + 4.5 + 5 + 2 - 1 - 1= 14.5

Winner of this round is.....

Congratulations!
With that being said, deadline is being moved to March 30th!​

Last edited:

feen

control
Arifeen i have won 2 matches.. one against u and another against kushalos. I should have been the winner.
Oh it seems I misread Kushalos' post. Edited OP. Next time make sure you yourself post the game rather than Iron Chefs, since it's easier for me to keep track that way.

feen

control
Results time!

Banette is pretty uncommon and cool and I haven't seen rp perior much, but otherwise pretty general and standard.

Use of Theme: 4

Rhyperior is super strong, and giving it speed to outrun things is nice, although rhyp does fail to outrun some scarfers which sucks. Banette helps break for perior and is also super strong, so imo decent use of theme here.

Effectiveness: 3

I'm not completely sold on why memento + twind support was so necessary, and while tailwind + banette seems cool, i think the whole support idea here is somewhat lackluster. I think refresh toise is better than roar but regardless the team seems decent enough, but nothing especially good in my eyes.

2+4+3+2=11

Standard

Melo + rhyperior was probably the best choice to build with this week, props for that i guess

Effectiveness: 6.5

Uh the team is okay but your ice resist is scarf houndoom, which could easily be replaced by something else since you have a spiritomb(or the spiritomb could be replaced by something else)

2+4.5+6.5+2=15

Originality: 1.5

Standard mons but meme blizzard absol gets you some points.

I think webs + hard hitters is perfect, and this team doesn't have just 2 extremely hard hitters. I can only imagine the destruction of absol, lee, and rotom when many grounded mons that normally outrun become slower, and i've already seen scarf hoopa without webs do a lot of work. I think you may have overloaded on the theme, however, and compromised overall team effectiveness in the process.

Effectiveness: 6

Happy to see tbolt on hoopa as well as magic coat smeargle here, which is necessary to block fast taunters considering the structure of this particular webs team. I think you have a really solid chance to overload shit with a team without hazard removal or a non-grounded fast mon / fast scarfer (like durant), but otherwise will struggle with a team that will have that, which is not too uncommon. There's no real consistent way to stop defog from flygon, which I find to be a major flaw in this webs team (I think a good webs squad should be able to stop defog with many of the mons/pressure in the way they are used, or have a team that can function without the webs such that the free KO you might grab on a defog sack will be enough of an advantage to convert to a win). Your team's only saving grace when webs are removed is scarf hoopa, or hoping that your opponents team is generally mostly slower than lee/rotom, which have decent speed tiers (absol also kinda, which can sucker punch as well but that's not reliable), but I don't think its entirely reliable, especially when you have to sack smeargle solely to get up those hazards. For this reason I can't give too many points, but I think this team is likely to function better than the other ones submitted.

1.5+4.5+6+2=14

Winner of this round is...

Congratulations.

With that being said, sadly, Iron Chef has been losing interest amongst the people in the community and we're getting lesser builders every week. So this is the end of the project. Special thanks to MrAldo, Scythe. , Kushalos, lighthouses, FlamingVictini, and EonX. Credits to Molk and atomicllamas for supporting this thread, and there might be a second season depending if people are still interested. Lastly, I thank all the participants who made this thread active, especially Chakra, Miyami~~ , and Lax. Urging the moderators to lock this thread. Thank you :heart:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
LOL I forgot to post me beating Kushalos, would have been tied with ldm. Oops.

Edit: forgot to say thanks Arifeen for hosting this fun project.

Ps: i still hate u aldo for haxing me that one week :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)