Iron Chef: Smogon UU Edition - Teambuilding Competition, R10 - Cantata! (See p#595)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Judging! Sorry for the delay, all - my son's been on the sick side, so I haven't had uninterrupted time at the computer to knock this out.

DaSpoofy
  • ORIGINALITY: 4.5. Sunny Day Mandibuzz, Specs Sunflora and RestTalk Blastoise - definitely not your ordinary team.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. You use the sun for Solar Power wallbreaking, boosting Entei and for a standard Chlorophyll sweeper. That's three separate ways you can take advantage of the sun, so I rate you a cut above most teams here.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 5. Well, Specs Sunflora is definitely a threat, though I didn't believe it when I saw it in your team at first. When this team does well, it looks like it should do quite well, but there are a lot of things that shut it down, and I feel it will struggle in the metagame overall.
  • Total: 13.5
r0ady
  • ORIGINALITY: 5. SUN ROOM! That was not an expected direction to take this in. That means you've got some neat wallbreakers on your team, like Mega-Camel and Sunflora. Definitely one of the most original entries we got today, not just in choice of pokemon but also in general team construct4ion.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. You pretty much exclusively use sun to increase the wallbreaking potential of your powerful pokemon. It's an important part of the team, especially with things like Specs Sunflora, to the point where your team doesn't really function without it.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 5. While it's a really cool team conceptually, the replays show that there are issues with it in practice. Requiring two turns of setup for the majority of your team to be functional means that you're going to struggle against well-played teams of almost any archetype. I like the idea, and you could definitely take some people by surprise, but I can't really see this as better than a 5.
  • Total: 14
vexyyyy
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. This hews closer to a "standard" sun team, but there are some unique choices that set it apart. In particular Expert Belt Darmanitan is an interesting choice, and Chlorophyll Tangrowth is unexpected (although we did see it pop up twice this competition). Scarf Typhlosion is a common sight for anyone who has played much in other tiers, but it's certainly not standard in UU, so it doesn't warrant any sort of penalty here.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. This is a sun team, through and through - three strong Fire-based wallbreakers and a Chlorophyll sweeper. You don't necessarily do anything new or interesting with the theme, but it's a major part of your team's functioning.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 4.5. Wow, Mega-Aero and Chandy just eat through this team, don't they? If you can keep the offensive pressure on there's a lot of potential here, but the fact that your Scarfer and your Chlorophyll sweeper are on the slower side means that you can easily have trouble with faster sweepers in general. There were also just some weird choices, such as the odd EVs on Liepard, that caused me to deduct a half point.
  • Total: 12
Serperior for Uber
  • ORIGINALITY: 4.5. We start with the standard duo of Liepard and Whimsicott for Sun setters and... wait a minute, Damp Rock? Yeah, the Sun/Rain combo was a nice direction to take this. While no individual sets necessarily stand out, this is a very original team overall.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. Weather in general was a major part of your team, and the ability to switch between Sun and Rain was key to keeping your opponents on their toes. (Dang, I'm giving out a lot of 4s this round in UoT!)
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 7.5. Your ability to switch between Rain and Sun is a neat way to get around problem 'mons such as Chandelure and Snorlax that gave many other teams this round so much trouble. Also, Smashpass Gorebyss was a nice touch, as it was equally deadly passing to any of your sweepers. One of the better teams this round.
  • Total: 16
Owen Xekrain
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. There are some interesting choices here, such as the coverage options on your Solar Power Heliolisk and Chandy's nature, but overall this was a fairly straightforward preparation for a Sun team.
  • USE OF THEME: 5. FOUR Fire types, Solar Power Heliolisk and a Chlorophyll 'mon. You are not messing around when it comes to bringing the heat.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 4. For a team that's so heavily reliant on sun, your sun setters are not the most reliable in the world. You also have some major trouble with common mons - for example, after a DD, Feraligatr quite literally just tears through your entire team, from start to finish. And while some redundancy among sweepers can be valuable, allowing you to power through counters, I would have liked to see a little bit more variety in your offensive threats.
  • Total: 12.5
Cnorth26
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. Chlorophyll Tangrowth was cool, although we saw it in another team. Scarf Coba and Heat Rock Aero put this somewhat above average, though, and move you past a three. (The bar was set high as hell for Originality this round!)
  • USE OF THEME: 2. This is the team with the least direct benefit from the Sun. Though you have a Chlorophyll sweeper, and SubCM Chandy certainly doesn't mind the sun (although by the time it sets up it will have very few Sun turns remaining), I can't help but think they don't warrant a pair of Sun setters here.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 6. As a Sun team, I'm not sure I'm sold on this. As a solid VoltTurn team with a Sunny Day surprise, it's not terrible. You'll struggle against a lot of the metagame, and I'd like to see you drop one of your Sun setters (most likely Aero) for something else, but I think that this team has potential.
  • Total: 11.5
Nightingales
  • ORIGINALITY: 4. Wow, Work Up Pidgeot is a surprisingly cool idea on Sun, as it can break through some common threats to Sun teams (and Pidgeot doesn't care about Sun reducing Hurricane's accuracy). That's worth a half point bump all on its own. The rest of your team was fairly straightforward for a Sun team, but some unorthodox sets and item choices count for another half point bump here.
  • USE OF THEME: 3. Sun helps you wallbreak, and it's nice (though not 100% necessary thanks to QD) for Lilligant. So it's definitely a decent part of your team, but it's not as fundamental an aspect as it could be.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 6.5. There's a ton of potential with this team, but it really has major issues with strong, fast 'mons such as Mega-Aero, Scarfed threats like Mienshao and Hydreigon, etc. You pretty much have to rely on Liepard to get past them, but Liepard is so frail that it's only going to really work once. I'd also like to see Roost over U-turn on Pidgeot so that you can set up on some threats such as Blissey without getting immediately worn down. Potential is here, but I think this team can definitely be improved.
Geopolitics
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. Another Whimsicott, another standard Chlorophyll sweeper, and... holy shit, is that Mawile? Rock on! As you said yourself this was fairly basic Sun offense, but that Mawile, plus the deadly but underrated Taunt Krook, make this feel a bit fresh despite your standard construction.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. Definitely a solid Sun team, with Sun supporting Fire-based wallbreakers and Chlorophyll sweepers. Solid and not much more to say.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 6. A really solid team overall, but unfortunately you get just run over by common threats such as Pidgeot and Aerodactyl. Taunt Aero in particular more or less shuts this team down.
LilOuOn
  • ORIGINALITY: 5. Again we see the surprisingly cool Sun/Rain construction, which proved itself to be successful earlier with Serp's team. You also have some cool underrated sweepers and setters such as Sawsbuck and Uxie, and you've got the incredibly cool stallbreaker M-Aero.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. Weather in general was a major part of your team, and Kingdra lets you punch through things like Entei and Chandy that give other Sun teams problems.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 7.5. This team is a pretty flexible take on Sun offense, with some key surprises such as stallbreaker M-Aero and RD Kingdra helping you past common issues that other teams faced (such as Pidgeot, fast Taunt users and opposing M-Aeros). Very nicely done.
  • Total: 16.5
That means that the total scores are as follows:

1. LilOuOn: 17.5 + 2 = 19.5
  2. Serperior for Uber: 16 + 2 = 18
  3. Nightingales: 13.5 + 2 = 15.5
  4. Geopolitics: 12.83 - 1 = 11.83
  5. Owen Xekrain: 12.5 - 1 = 11.5
  6. r0ady: 13.33 - 2 = 11.33
  7. Cnorth26: 11.83 - 1 = 10.83
  8. DaSpoofy: 13.5 - 3 = 10.5
  9. vexyyyy: 13.33 - 3 = 10.33
So congratulations to LilOuOn for winning his second Iron Chef in a row! This was a close one, with Serperior for Uber nipping at your heels. Well done, all!

I'll have next round's IC up in a little while, as well as LilOu's trophy. My heart is racing to think about it...

Last edited:
Judging! Sorry for the delay, all - my son's been on the sick side, so I haven't had uninterrupted time at the computer to knock this out.

DaSpoofy
  • ORIGINALITY: 4.5. Sunny Day Mandibuzz, Specs Sunflora and RestTalk Blastoise - definitely not your ordinary team.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. You use the sun for Solar Power wallbreaking, boosting Entei and for a standard Chlorophyll sweeper. That's three separate ways you can take advantage of the sun, so I rate you a cut above most teams here.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 5. Well, Specs Sunflora is definitely a threat, though I didn't believe it when I saw it in your team at first. When this team does well, it looks like it should do quite well, but there are a lot of things that shut it down, and I feel it will struggle in the metagame overall.
r0ady
  • ORIGINALITY: 5. SUN ROOM! That was not an expected direction to take this in. That means you've got some neat wallbreakers on your team, like Mega-Camel and Sunflora. Definitely one of the most original entries we got today, not just in choice of pokemon but also in general team construct4ion.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. You pretty much exclusively use sun to increase the wallbreaking potential of your powerful pokemon. It's an important part of the team, especially with things like Specs Sunflora, to the point where your team doesn't really function without it.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 5. While it's a really cool team conceptually, the replays show that there are issues with it in practice. Requiring two turns of setup for the majority of your team to be functional means that you're going to struggle against well-played teams of almost any archetype. I like the idea, and you could definitely take some people by surprise, but I can't really see this as better than a 5.
  • Total: 14
vexyyyy
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. This hews closer to a "standard" sun team, but there are some unique choices that set it apart. In particular Expert Belt Darmanitan is an interesting choice, and Chlorophyll Tangrowth is unexpected (although we did see it pop up twice this competition). Scarf Typhlosion is a common sight for anyone who has played much in other tiers, but it's certainly not standard in UU, so it doesn't warrant any sort of penalty here.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. This is a sun team, through and through - three strong Fire-based wallbreakers and a Chlorophyll sweeper. You don't necessarily do anything new or interesting with the theme, but it's a major part of your team's functioning.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 4.5. Wow, Mega-Aero and Chandy just eat through this team, don't they? If you can keep the offensive pressure on there's a lot of potential here, but the fact that your Scarfer and your Chlorophyll sweeper are on the slower side means that you can easily have trouble with faster sweepers in general. There were also just some weird choices, such as the odd EVs on Liepard, that caused me to deduct a half point.
  • Total: 112
Serperior for Uber
  • ORIGINALITY: 4.5. We start with the standard duo of Liepard and Whimsicott for Sun setters and... wait a minute, Damp Rock? Yeah, the Sun/Rain combo was a nice direction to take this. While no individual sets necessarily stand out, this is a very original team overall.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. Weather in general was a major part of your team, and the ability to switch between Sun and Rain was key to keeping your opponents on their toes. (Dang, I'm giving out a lot of 4s this round in UoT!)
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 7.5. Your ability to switch between Rain and Sun is a neat way to get around problem 'mons such as Chandelure and Snorlax that gave many other teams this round so much trouble. Also, Smashpass Gorebyss was a nice touch, as it was equally deadly passing to any of your sweepers. One of the better teams this round.
  • Total: 16
Owen Xekrain
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. There are some interesting choices here, such as the coverage options on your Solar Power Heliolisk and Chandy's nature, but overall this was a fairly straightforward preparation for a Sun team.
  • USE OF THEME: 5. FOUR Fire types, Solar Power Heliolisk and a Chlorophyll 'mon. You are not messing around when it comes to bringing the heat.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 4. For a team that's so heavily reliant on sun, your sun setters are not the most reliable in the world. You also have some major trouble with common mons - for example, after a DD, Feraligatr quite literally just tears through your entire team, from start to finish. And while some redundancy among sweepers can be valuable, allowing you to power through counters, I would have liked to see a little bit more variety in your offensive threats.
  • Total: 12.5
Cnorth26
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. Chlorophyll Tangrowth was cool, although we saw it in another team. Scarf Coba and Heat Rock Aero put this somewhat above average, though, and move you past a three. (The bar was set high as hell for Originality this round!)
  • USE OF THEME: 2. This is the team with the least direct benefit from the Sun. Though you have a Chlorophyll sweeper, and SubCM Chandy certainly doesn't mind the sun (although by the time it sets up it will have very few Sun turns remaining), I can't help but think they don't warrant a pair of Sun setters here.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 6. As a Sun team, I'm not sure I'm sold on this. As a solid VoltTurn team with a Sunny Day surprise, it's not terrible. You'll struggle against a lot of the metagame, and I'd like to see you drop one of your Sun setters (most likely Aero) for something else, but I think that this team has potential.
  • Total: 11.5
Nightingales
  • ORIGINALITY: 4. Wow, Work Up Pidgeot is a surprisingly cool idea on Sun, as it can break through some common threats to Sun teams (and Pidgeot doesn't care about Sun reducing Hurricane's accuracy). That's worth a half point bump all on its own. The rest of your team was fairly straightforward for a Sun team, but some unorthodox sets and item choices count for another half point bump here.
  • USE OF THEME: 3. Sun helps you wallbreak, and it's nice (though not 100% necessary thanks to QD) for Lilligant. So it's definitely a decent part of your team, but it's not as fundamental an aspect as it could be.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 6.5. There's a ton of potential with this team, but it really has major issues with strong, fast 'mons such as Mega-Aero, Scarfed threats like Mienshao and Hydreigon, etc. You pretty much have to rely on Liepard to get past them, but Liepard is so frail that it's only going to really work once. I'd also like to see Roost over U-turn on Pidgeot so that you can set up on some threats such as Blissey without getting immediately worn down. Potential is here, but I think this team can definitely be improved.
Geopolitics
  • ORIGINALITY: 3.5. Another Whimsicott, another standard Chlorophyll sweeper, and... holy shit, is that Mawile? Rock on! As you said yourself this was fairly basic Sun offense, but that Mawile, plus the deadly but underrated Taunt Krook, make this feel a bit fresh despite your standard construction.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. Definitely a solid Sun team, with Sun supporting Fire-based wallbreakers and Chlorophyll sweepers. Solid and not much more to say.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 6. A really solid team overall, but unfortunately you get just run over by common threats such as Pidgeot and Aerodactyl. Taunt Aero in particular more or less shuts this team down.
LilOuOn
  • ORIGINALITY: 5. Again we see the surprisingly cool Sun/Rain construction, which proved itself to be successful earlier with Serp's team. You also have some cool underrated sweepers and setters such as Sawsbuck and Uxie, and you've got the incredibly cool stallbreaker M-Aero.
  • USE OF THEME: 4. Weather in general was a major part of your team, and Kingdra lets you punch through things like Entei and Chandy that give other Sun teams problems.
  • EFFECTIVENESS: 7.5. This team is a pretty flexible take on Sun offense, with some key surprises such as stallbreaker M-Aero and RD Kingdra helping you past common issues that other teams faced (such as Pidgeot, fast Taunt users and opposing M-Aeros). Very nicely done.
  • Total: 16.5
That means that the total scores are as follows:

1. LilOuOn: 17.5 + 2 = 19.5
  2. Serperior for Uber: 16 + 2 = 18
  3. Nightingales: 13.5 + 2 = 15.5
  4. Geopolitics: 12.83 - 1 = 11.83
  5. Owen Xekrain: 12.5 - 1 = 11.5
  6. r0ady: 13.33 - 2 = 11.33
  7. Cnorth26: 11.83 - 1 = 10.83
  8. DaSpoofy: 13.5 - 3 = 10.5
  9. vexyyyy: 13.33 - 3 = 10.33
So congratulations to LilOuOn for winning his second Iron Chef in a row! This was a close one, with Serperior for Uber nipping at your heels. Well done, all!

I'll have next round's IC up in a little while, as well as LilOu's trophy. My heart is racing to think about it...
inb4 vexyyyy wins with the 112 points hogg gave him!

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
inb4 vexyyyy wins with the 112 points hogg gave him!
Shhhh... You saw nothing!

------

Alright, everyone. Fasten your seatbelts, because Round 5 is up!

This round's theme is...

The Fast and the Furious!

a

For round 5 on Iron Chef, it's all about Speed Control! How well can you control the pace of the game, either by speeding your team up or slowing the opposing team down?

In order for your dish to qualify this round, you must have at least two moves that manipulate Speed on your team. For the purposes of this competition, this is being restricted to moves that are not specific to one of your sweepers - so, Tailwind qualifies, as does spreading paralysis, but moves such as Agility or Dragon Dance that only boost you do not. (However, judges may at their discretion give boosts in Use of Theme for such moves.) Therefore, the following moves will qualify your dish for this round: Tailwind, Trick Room, Sticky Webs and Paralysis moves (Thunder Wave/Glare/Stun Spore/Zap Cannon/Nuzzle).

(If you believe something should qualify but is not listed here, mention it on thread or PM me and I will consider adding it to this list.)

Will our Iron Chefs be able to keep up with these furious competitors, or will the contestants race ahead of theme? When the checkered flag flies, who will be the first to race to the finish line? Tune in for a fast and furious round of Iron Chef!

You have just under one week to complete your dishes, PM them to the chairman, and challenge one of our four Iron Chefs on the thread. The deadline for teambuilding and challenges expires Saturday, June 20 at 11:59 PM GMT.

Allez cuisine!

Last edited:

LilOu

PO poopyhead
So do I become an Iron Chef now? :]

In addition, anyone who has entered the Hall of Fame at least twice may choose to supplant one of our existing Iron Chefs, and take on the mantle themselves!

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Alright, all. YABO is stepping down as an Iron Chef, meaning LilOuOn is taking his place! Congrats to LilOuOn, and thanks to YABO for four rounds of great battles.

Got to say, I'm excited about this round. Speed control is one of my favorite playstyles, and I think there's a lot of potential flexibility. I'm excited to see what people come up with!

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hogg do you think moves such as Icy Wind, Bulldoze, and Rock Tomb which always lower opponents' speed should count towards the requirement this round?

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
Hogg do you think moves such as Icy Wind, Bulldoze, and Rock Tomb which always lower opponents' speed should count towards the requirement this round?
I'm going to say no to including moves where the Speed boost/penalty is lost if the user or target simply switches. So, Icy Wind wouldn't count, nor would Rock Polish, since in both cases a switch ends the Speed manipulation. However, paralyzing the opponent does count, because the Speed remains lowered even if the opponent switches out, as does Tailwind, since if you switch your teammates still benefit from it.

Also, I forgot about the lordly move NUZZLE, which definitely counts. Adding it to the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)