Issue #1 released

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a great job and i've only seen the front page!

Cookie was hilarious.

Favourite part the Q&A; a revolutionary proposal.

I loved LR's and Imran's lead discussion. That was really informative.

Caelum, i adored the prediction "introduction"; very comprehensive.

X-act's submission scared me.

I urge you all to read this marvel. A strong start.

Very interesting, indeed. On a general basis, I found it very well written and organized. More specifically...

I loved the "topic-related" articles such as the UU metagame one or the other about prediction. I really would like to see more like these coming.

The interview to Chaos was a masterpiece^^ Good job!

The "Pokemon-history" part is also interesting. Can't wait to see more of these, too.

To sum this up: Great job guys! This magazine seem amazing just from the start! Keep this up!

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Smog. It just seemed that there wasn't anything for it to cover that the pokemon analysis or the D/P resource thread didn't.

Then I read the issue and was blown away. Everyone who contributed did an excellent job; there is a definite place for the magazine on the website. This has inspired me to become more involved in the community.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really glad it turned out so nicely ^__^ Special thanks to bk, darkie, chaos, and stellar who helped with the final push (feel better tangi!!)

The next issue will be out in July (on schedule this time) Remember if you have article ideas feel free to pm me.

Great job guys! The articles are really good and the interview with chaos was as funny as his beard.

I also like the fact that cookie has a column...

The artwork is amazing too.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i found it to be pretty underwhelming as a whole.

in my mind i saw it more "magazine" styled. firstly i disliked the layout, specifically the home page where you had to choose where to go. of course, you choose the first option and then click next continuing on to the next article etc., but i found it irritating that you had to go back to click a new article that youve already passed.

i would have gone the route in which it looked more like a webpage layout where you had all your articles on the left and the articles on the right. although both present a problem, spacing, but i think the webpage layout would have worked better. back to spacing, i felt that there was just too much blank space. most of the instances came from when you used pictures, instead of working the text you just pasted it.

thirdly, where the pictures at? with all the work people do in smeargles studio i had expected an art section. even without an art section there were too few pictures. also, no CAP section? that didnt warrant an article or two? "But one of the most important things I want to highlight is that the web-zine will not be a medium solely for competitive Pokémon." why is it that all we saw? i know a lot of this paragraph has to do with user input and created content but i felt even if i, or other people, contributed there probably still have been something you could have written about these subjects, even a link to a thread.

fourthly, what the fuck cookie? youve never heard of Cigar Aficianado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigar_Aficionado)? you didnt see my link where i suggested it so people who dont know that its not just some italian douche baggery addition? did you not think it was clever how "cigar" and "gengar" sound similar thus make a humourus pun? do you know how many question marks are acceptable in a paragraph? i dont.

lastly, to go with my first point of being so underwhelming, there just wasnt enough content, especially being bi-monthly. again, i know, first issue, not enough contributors, etc. but even within what you did cover, you could have went further such as doing more than one q&a question, posting the entire battle log from the st5 final match, (for me) dumbing down the equations in the math section.

ps. the graphs on the "OU Leads" article is too small. if i need to put on my glasses and still cant read what the text says, its too small.

The quality of everything looks very nice, but I have to agree with Atlas, clicking back all the time gets a bit repetative.

This is truly amazing. I enjoyed every part of it. Good job everyone.

There needs to be a famous art section. :P

The magazine was really well done, but I have a few quips. First, more Q+A should be done. Second, there should be a well known player giving a RMT to a team that looks interesting but might need some help. Third, we need a completely commentated war story, as well as metagame descriptions. The magazine was great, though!

Great job on the first issue! I already submitted my Poll/Trivia questions, and I have to say that the effort on this was fantastic, and I look foward to contributing on the next issue! One thing I do have to address is, yes, I too wish that there would be more than one Q&A, but I think the quality of that question made up for that in this situation. More in the future would be nice though.

I really liked this first issue, good job to everyone who was involved. I especially liked the articles that were looking at different metagames from the usual. The featured RMT was good, and I love the idea of looking at how a Pokemon has changed through each generation.

The only things I would suggest changing are basically reiterating what Atlas said. Include more artwork (there is a lot of talent and excellent work in Smeargle's Studio) and making navigation between articles more convenient. I'd also like more articles, but obviously that will happen as the magazine grows.

Again, good job (also the chaos interview was very interesting, more please).

Great first issue. Every article was interesting, though there are a few things that could be added to make it better. Along with more then one Q&A and an art section, where's the warstories? In general, more content is never a bad thing, especially for something only shown bi-monthly.

But why is it only bi-monthly? I think with interest growing you could make an issue every month.

Remember that not only is this the first issue, April/May is also a bad time of year for most people still in school. Although it is the first issue, it's more of a trial than anything. What we learn from this issue will help us put out better products every other month from now. Speaking of the bimonthly schedule, do you want a quality product every two months or a substandard product monthly? We really don't have the manpower to make an issue every month, although this may change in the future.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As a whole, it was pretty good, the clicking back and forwards did get a little obnoxious, but nothing too serious. I would like the authors of the articles written beside the piece they wrote. That way we can see a writer who we like and read that one first, followed by the ones we like less and less.

Good job guys

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I think I can safely say the first issue was good. It was repetitive at times, but this is Smogon, and there is a slant to competitive battling.

By the way, tennisace, keep it up, that was one amazing article.

Chaos interview was good too.

I have to tell you, I enjoyed looking through the magazine. I found the articles very enjoyable to read. I'm expecting the high-quality work I saw in this issue in July. I'd like to thank The Smog staff for the hard work they put into writing and publishing this issue for the community.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
It was very enjoyable from what ive read so far, the interview with chaos was great!

Wow. When I saw the voting for the name, I was like, oh that's a cool little project. This blew me out of the water.

Props for making it so diverse, with practical Pokemon info, theorymon, comedy, etc.

I agree, though, an Art section couldn't hurt, you could make it a contest or something.

Again, great job guys, I can't wait for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)