1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #1 released

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Tangerine, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangerine

Tangerine Where the Lights Are
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

First of all, I will echo darkie in saying that the first issue is simply experimental as of now. We didn't release the first issue expecting it to be perfect, just the best we could do with what we had.

We appreciate the input - we will definitely work on it. At this point, we were just concentrated in getting a basic layout out there, and we will definitely consider all of this for the second issue :)

As for the rest of the comments... we apologize that we couldn't meet your standards. However, please cut us some slack... I didn't feel as if I could just beat art of artists to use for the issue. I took a rather free "do an illustration if you felt like it" approach, and honestly it didn't work out too well. I will be more stringent in the future.

I don't feel criticism of a "mistake" on an article that is meant to be humorous is valid, and I wonder why you brought it up.

As for the lack of content... I agree. We definitely could have done more, but please understand that I didn't feel like I had the right to beat things out of people during the peak midterm/finals season.
  2. Xaqwais

Xaqwais

If it seemed like I was irritated that you didn't have an art section, not at all. It was just throwing the support for the idea if you guys want to do it. Sorry if it seemed like that.
  3. GB_Packers_Ftw

GB_Packers_Ftw LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN

good work guys loved it
  4. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

im not sure what you mean here

i understand that which is why i mentioned it a couple times.
  5. Robo-Ky

Robo-Ky

Wow, that was incredible. It was all very diverse and informative.

Just a couple of suggestions. Next time, maybe expand the Q&A section, and add an article on some art Smogon users have created. Otherwise, great job!

It's a shame this is bi-monthly, since it'll be a long time 'til the next issue...
  6. Mr. Zook

Mr. Zook

Nice work everybody. I love it.
  7. ChristovaOnIce

ChristovaOnIce

/end lurk.

I felt pretty iffy about the whole project in the beginning, but it's turned out absolutely beautifully. I think it will help the community immensely. Keep up the good work!
  8. Lunar Solstice

Lunar Solstice

1 word to describe it
    Awesome
  9. nardd

nardd

This was a great read, and I think I might try to contribute something in the future, just not sure what..

I really like the interview section and think we could do one every time with a different "popular" user every bi-month. Or a "get to know your mods" type section.

Perhaps bios of the authors in the beginning/end so we can learn more about who we read?

cookie was good, x-act's equations I glazed over since I was already trying to work on calculus homework :S
  10. moot

moot

Amazing work all around guys, I really enjoyed reading basically everything.

I even made it through an entire X-Act article for once without crying from frustration! I feel so proud!
  11. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

All of the articles are extremely well written and it's an awesome read. Great job!

One thing that I can't shake, though, is that pretty much all of this stuff could have been normal on-site articles, except the Metagame Analyses and maybe the Q&A. Featured RMT could have been a link to a forum post in the News section, the articles could have all been new Smogon articles.

A focus on more time-oriented stuff, like the Metagame Analyses, as well as stuff like the Q&A with the other stuff secondary, or even just on site would make more sense. This way, you're including the more "magazine-centric" stuff, while not siphoning off articles that could be on the site in a potentially hard to find place. Then again, packaging it up as a magazine and having a strict deadline does mean more shit gets done in a more timely fashion, so the net result is likely more work being done. It just seems like it'll be confusing trying to find out where you read that article on DPP prediction in the future if it's not part of the main site.

I also agree with Atlas that the format isn't the best. I care a lot less about that though, as long as I can read it's fine. However, in my mind, it further emphasizes that this could be a collection of on site articles.

Anyhow, now that I actually have time to make my submissions not utter crap, are you guys looking for more writers? I already have an article or three in mind :D
  12. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Speaking of the "Magazine" layout style, I'm going to fire up InDesign tomorrow and see what I can do about turning this into a decent looking PDF. If it doesn't take too long, I might be able to do it for every issue.
  13. foibles

foibles

might it be a good idea to have a link to the smog's featured pokemon in their anaysis?
  14. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I doubt it. The amount of really relevant information is minimal, and the number of "featured pokemon" available won't really be that many for a while.
  15. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

really well done guys! can't wait for the next issue.
  16. SunshineCat

SunshineCat

Superb, simply superb.
  17. panamaxis

panamaxis Allons-y!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Definitely liked the "an Introduction to prediction" and I agree with all of the points made there.

Information is everything when it comes to prediction.

Very good point here. At the start of the battle, and it should be noted that most players will play conservatively, having no prior knowledge of the opponents playstyle, and will in most cases make the safe move untill they gain more knowledge of the opponent. Which brings me to...

In other words, you shouldn't be predicting at this point.

I don't really understand this point, as I said (in my experience), most players will play conservatively at the start of the battle, often predicting at the start of the battle can have huge benefits, gaining the momentum at the start (with any styles of play) is often the key to winning.
  18. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Great job everyone :) just got the time to read it all properly and I must say the content is of a very high standard, just what we'd expect on Smogon.

I don't want to echo what Chris and Atlas said, but I kind of agree with them. Maybe we could just put some of the magazine articles on-site after a while, just so they're a little easier to find. The layout was a little disappointing, but obviously I'd expect it to get better with coming issues.

Overall, very well done.
  19. rojo23

rojo23

man this stuff is great! I enjoyed reading it so far.
  20. Thorns

Thorns

I really like what you guys have done here. I'm definitely thinking of something to contribute in the next issue x)
  21. Malfunction

Malfunction

Wow, I really enjoyed reading this. Keep up the good work guys!
  22. SMZ

SMZ

Awesome job :). I enjoyed reading the articles, and the interview with chaos was awesome.
  23. Bungalow Bill

Bungalow Bill

Really good job guys! Can't wait til next issue.
  24. Stallion

Stallion Joe Cool
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I really like it, but I love caelum's article the most on prediction, I agree with almost everything he said there :D (aside from hyper offensive teams needing to predict, that part was actually wrong).

Well done guys.
  25. Luxormaniac

Luxormaniac

Here to give my input.

I loved the parts about metagames (OU Leads, Uber, and UU, and I don't even play UU.) I also really liked the poll/trivia- the GSC theme was nice going along with the recent announcement.

I agree with Caelum on prediction/disagree with MS, hyperoffense needs hyperprediction.

Concept of Lures was my favorite part. Excellent article, and I really enjoyed it.

Lures/Prediction/Metagame anything were my favorite parts.
    And more art would be cool.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)