Issue #1 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This was very good, especially for the first issue. Yeah, I'd like to see a CaP section, that would be great. Next time, a harder quiz please....

Expanded Q&A, more art and better layout are all things I'm sure will be improving over time. My personal opinion about the layout is that a very simple change that would make it much more readable and give it a more magazine-like feeling is to make the width of the paragraphs fixed and smaller, perhaps even introduce several columns. I don't want to have to resize the browser window itself in order to achieve a comfortable width when reading. A more interesting use of images from all the talented artists around would also improve the overall impression. But I know this wasn't the first priority this time around and I'm very confident that future issues will be much better.
Quoted for truth.

In any case, this was a good way to set a pace for The Smog, and with time will come content, I'm sure. Bravo!

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anyhow, now that I actually have time to make my submissions not utter crap, are you guys looking for more writers? I already have an article or three in mind :D
Just write it and send it to us. We'll review it. Be consistent with this and we'll add you to staff.

Simple as that... I thought the submission deadlines made that clear.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
very good job, although I must say X-Act's article terrified me... And a CAP section would make my day

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My intention wasn't to terrify anybody with my article. :( I even tried to be as simple as possible, using nothing more than simple algebra. And I ordered the chapters so that the math part is tucked away at the end of the article, so that if people want to skip it, they can and would still be able to grasp what the article wanted to convey. Oh well.

I have to say the smog is a great idea... smogon is pretty much my "go to when bored" website, so the new articles and especially the pokemon of the (bimonth?) is a great idea to keep people interested and coming back. Even though at this point I know and have played most of the people who write, it's still cool to read new opinions from some of the best players around. Kudos the the staff of the smog!

P.S. X-Act, don't worry about those afraid of your article... as someone who didn't read it, I say keep on keeping on. Perhaps the best example I can point to is the Nintendo Wii... they've been making incredible sales for a while making crappy "casual" games, but lately their sales are drying up, and fast (ps3 is outselling them in Japan. Why? Without making games that appeal to gamers, the hype about their system has dropped to nearly 0, so their sales are quickly drying up. I think (hope) this relates to all of you writing the Smog. Write the articles as high brow (for pokemon, lol) as you want, as "laypeople" will surely be attracted to the site that people who "know what they're talking about" like to post on.

P.P.S. Also, math stuff interests me, even if the particular article this issue didn't...seriously keep it up!

My intention wasn't to terrify anybody with my article. :( I even tried to be as simple as possible, using nothing more than simple algebra. And I ordered the chapters so that the math part is tucked away at the end of the article, so that if people want to skip it, they can and would still be able to grasp what the article wanted to convey. Oh well.

Hey, your article was very interesting, I loved it; and I'm sure that many other people also enjoyed it. Keep them coming. :nerd:

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I really liked your Article too. It just aims for those of us who are into the mathematical side of things, nothing wrong with that.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When do we know who won the trivia competition?
In the next issue.

About you asking for harder trivia, I don't know if it'll be much harder seeing as a small fraction of the 75+ entrants got all the questions right.

When's the next article due?

Bimonthly can mean two things:

1. occurring every two months.
2. occurring twice a month; semimonthly.

Please specify.

I liked it quite a bit, especially the prediction article. I wouldn't have featured Tyranitar, but that's just me, and I'm sure you guys had a good reason to do it.

When's the next article due?

Bimonthly can mean two things:

1. occurring every two months.
2. occurring twice a month; semimonthly.

Please specify.
Well, it's been more than half a month since Issue 1 came out, so...

I liked the lead discussion as well as the RMT and lure articles

X-act articles title alone made me want to quit pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)