1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Issue #16 Released!

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by Rising_Dusk, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PK Gaming

PK Gaming Pursuing My True Self
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Best Smog issue in a looooong time imo. Top tier articles like the "Dragon-type" analysis, the featured Pokemon session and the Metagame section as a whole kept me interested for quite some time. The art was fantastic too.

PS: The timing couldn't have been better either!
  2. Delko

Delko "ghost mod"
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Excellent job!
  3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck i am woodchuck
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

Smogon Gold, haha
    great issue as always, guys
  4. Shinxe

Shinxe there and back again
    is an Artist Alumnus

Felt good to make art again. ROAST CHICKEN FOR ALL
  5. IronBullet93

IronBullet93 Sitting on a cornflake
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderator

Great job guys, the metagame analyses were excellent in quality and quantity, and the tournament coverage was very thorough.
  6. Steamroll

Steamroll resident zombie
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This was a great issue of the smog. The suspect testing served as a great way to explain why certain pokemon and move combos were banned in both OU and UU. Can't wait to splash into RU, it's going to be so much fun.
  7. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

well done friends
  8. Foster

Foster

9. Moo

Moo Professor
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

What is this?
  10. Oglemi

Oglemi Die you bastards!
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

moo gets no recognition

!!
  11. Moo

Moo Professor
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

12. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

i can't see moo's image

should i be relieved?
  13. Steamroll

Steamroll resident zombie
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I hope this works for you. It's hilarious and relevant.
  14. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

nope
    upload to iaza please
  15. Rewer

Rewer
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

GJ guys, the smog is awlays great =]
  16. Tortferngatr

Tortferngatr

Good issue.

That being said, I am disappointed that Stealth Rock and Hurricane didn't make it onto Deck's article. Hurricane could put Kingdra back in the business (and also give Politoed something to live in the face of ThunderPunch,) and if it made its way to Salamence, I could see him getting a nice second wind on Rain teams. Stealth Rock was nigh universal in Gen IV, giving it to Gen V Pokemon seems only natural. It also gives Ferrothorn the ability to run Stealth Rock+Spikes+Leech Seed, which is neat, and hey-if Mienshao gets it (and Ice Punch) it might actually be a good lead!
  17. Rackham

Rackham

Excellent issue, guys.
  18. Aerodactyl Legend

Aerodactyl Legend

chaos?

Anyways, good issue.
  19. Fizz

Fizz

Good stuff.

In the "Underrated Uber Movesets" article, Wobbuffet has 512 EVs.
  20. Sunbeam

Sunbeam

This is awesome.
  21. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

As far as Spikes vs. Stealth Rock, Spikes has become more dominant this Gen and Stealth Rock got a fair push around Egg Movepools, so really only new acquisitions that didn't get it as a TM last Gen would work well (Quags, Gastrodon), and almost none of them would be 5th Gen, since the bulkiest mons in 5th Gen already got it. Spikes simply had more material to work with as far as new mons because Spikes has always had poor distribution, and was never given to any ground type.

Hurricane's problem is any section on it would just be an army of existing (or now mintable) rain sweepers, and we already had an article on that: the BW OU Metagame Analysis. What few interesting oddball Pokemon could get it (Yanmega, Drifblim, Togekiss) would be offset by the fact the best users hands down are Thundurus and Zapdos. Anything else that gets it would be a contrivance, since we already have Dragonite, and chucking it on random water mons is just sloppy.

Hurricane is simply a move you could stuff on virtually anything and it would be better simply for smashing through all the new Fighting types and having 100% Accuracy in the now-ubiquitous rain. It's also rare to have a tutor that powerful without a significant drawback. Gunk Shot is the closest, but the thing is: Gunk Shot's coverage sucks. Hurricane hits at least two relevant types (Fighting, Grass) for SE damage and has excellent offensive synergy with several common types, not least of which being Water and Electric. Seriously. Name me a single Water or Electric type with at least 75 SpA that wouldn't toss Hurricane on its movepool in an instant.
  22. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¬°YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Really nice edition!
    Great job guys!
  23. elDino

elDino Deal With It.
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Great job guys!
    Well done, can't wait for us to pump out the next issue! :D
  24. SJCrew

SJCrew Believer, going on a journey...
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

That BW OU metagame analysis was a long time coming. I think I enjoyed reading that article the most.
  25. girazard

girazard

Amazing as always! Disappointed that Flareon wasn't mentioned in the Zap Cannon tutor bit (it learned it in Gen2)- most badass ZC user ever.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)