ORAS OU ItzGator, because of Feraligatr (PEAKED #7)

Alright, what's up guys, my name is Sork, and for those of you that have been around a while, you might remember be from when i laddered pretty seriously in 5th gen (peaked #5, #6, and #7 3 different times back then), and I haven't really made an RMT since, even though I've been building competitive teams ever since 5th gen started. Well, as most of you probably don't know, I'm mostly a balance/semi stall player, but with this team, I wanted to do something different. I always try to build teams around an underrated threat/something unique, and this time I wanted to build around one of my all time favorite mons, Feraligatr. I wasn't expecting much out of this team, but oh my goodness this team does not disappoint. I went with Hyper Offense this time for the RMT, mostly because I was unfamiliar with building it and wanted to try something new, and I've found that gatr fits EXTREMELY well on Hyper Offense. a lot of teams can just get swept by it depending on the coverage moves gatr runs, but for this team, I went with the set I'm using for 1 main reason, so, I guess that about does it for the intro, let's get into the good juicy stuff.

Also, peak on ladder for proof

EDIT: New peak with the team, #7 on the ladder

Anyways, onto the teambuilding and how this team came together
I started out with feraligatr because it was the main star of this team, the only decision to make was to figure out if i wanted to go with swords dance or dragon dance. I figured since I'd need as much coverage as possible, and since SD has to have aqua jet + waterfall, only leaving room for one more coverage move, I went with Dragon Dance since it frees up my moveslots to allow me to have more coverage, specifically i went with crunch + superpower since as you'll see with the other team mates, I'd like to be able to remove ferrothorn and chansey, and with crunch, it allows me to beat mega slowbro, starmie, and the lati twins, something that ice punch doesn't give me the luxury of being able to do.

Next up i decided to with sash garchomp, since it allows me to have a reliable rocker and also have something that can put out a lot of damage. the main goal of chomp is to basically get rocks up, and if possible, weaken their physical walls with EQ and Dragon claw, and also being able to freely SD on certain mons for a large output of damage. I decided against bulky chomp for this team since as it is HO I decided I needed as much speed and immediate power as I could get with this team, so sash chomp just fits a lot better.

Next up I decided to go with SD Talonflame, mostly because of the fact that I needed a hard hitting priority sweeper that could put out a lot of damage against key mons. T-Flame and Feraligatr also have amazing offensive synergy, being able to weaken each other's checks and counters and having one of my other mons being able to clean up late game. I have contemplated putting tailwind over roost on this particular talonflame set, but I found that roost helps me out if I'm against an opposing clefable, although the rise in t-wave clef is certainly prominent.

Next up we have the mega, the star of the show, the one who usually cleans up after all the dirty work is done, Mega Diancie. At this point i was noticing i was very talonflame weak, and mega diancie gives me a really good hard t-flame check. I went with a rock polish set since i was looking very weak to the likes of sand offense, particularly excadrill in the sand can pretty much ohko my entire team. with rock polish, t-tar becomes set up fodder if it has taken any prior damage, which is almost guaranteed with having talonflame on the team, since t-tar is usually sand offense's switch in to talonflame 100% of the time.

*insert cool animated gif of Hoopa-unbound here* with hoopa-unbounds release, it has made such a significant impact on the oras ou metagame that it has shaken up teambuilding so much because of how many things it can do. I decided to put hoopa-unbound on here because i needed something to take some kind of hit vs special attackers, and hoopa has so many free opportunities to come in vs special attackers. I went with a fully offensive special set this time because most people at this point are expecting physical banded or mixed lo, but special LO has definitely shaken up some people I've met on the ladder. The coverage moves I chose gave me enough room to deal with a large majority of mons that I face often, and will be explained further down below.

Finally, we have life orb scizor to help us break down those pesky fairies and give us another priority user on the team. I originally had mega scizor and latios over diancie and scizor respectively, but that gave me nothing for talonflame, so i decided to change scizor to regular and replace latios with mega diancie. with lo offensive scizor, i still have a way to deal with heatran and ferrothorn, as well as being able to better deal with mega venusaur, since at +2, offensive varients get ohko'd after rocks, which mega venu prevents diancie from sweeping. I also have scizor to deal with ferro, who also prevents diancie from sweeping, since earth power is a 3hko at best.

And now we get to see the actual sets and go into why these mons have their particular sets

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Crunch

I went with this particular set on feraligatr because I needed something to be able to increase its speed and be able to hit almost everything with superb coverage. The only things that actually resist this thing's coverage are azumarill, Mega-Altaria, and whimsicott. And when I say this thing can sweep unprepared teams, I'm not joking. People usually have chomp, hippo, or lando-t for their physical walls, which this thing can blow right through them with just +1. Gatr is phenomenal at breaking through bulky grounds, which are most people's checks to talonflame. So the goal of gatr is very simple, come in on something it threatens out, set up a DD, and weaken their team for Talonflame to do work. I went with crunch over ice punch because I needed to hit the slow brothers, as well as starmie and having something to hit the lati's harder. You can replace it with ice punch if you would rather have the ability to ohko landorus-t and garchomp at +1, but personally, i like crunch.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Next up, I needed something that could pretty much ensure rocks while also keeping up offensive momentum. I tried out Azelf over Garchomp for a bit, but found that garchomp just brought more offensive pressure than azelf did. SD Sash garchomp is a monster, since at +2 it weakens clefable enough to where mega diancie can easily revenge kill it and get off a free mega since with my spread, it outspeeds before mega evolving. Garchomp is basically meant to set up rocks, and try to get off any last ditch damage on stuff before it goes down to make my other hard hitters do work.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Next up, talonflame, the bird of prey. This thing and feraligatr make a phenominal offensive core, being able to take down or at least weaken each other's checks/counters. I went with an SD set because it makes it a lot easier to get off a lot of damage against a lot of mons, since this is usually my ground switch in. You can replace roost with natural gift and change sharp beak to a liechi berry since this team struggles a bit with breaking down rotom-wash, but I've found roost helpful since this team lacks hazard removal. Basically, come in, revenge kill something, and just get off some more damage on key threats before going down.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 36 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

next up, the star of the team, mega-diancie. I originally had mega-scizor over diancie, but saw that I had an overbearing talonflame weakness which m-diancie helps alleviate. This thing's main purpose is to rock polish on their switch from the predicted protect, and proceed to outspeed and kill their weakened team members. The ev's are pretty standard, 188 speed is enough to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, while 36 hp is just for some bulk. The entire team's purpose is to weaken the things that diancie can't break through like rotom-w, ferrothorn, etc, and use it's excellent coverage to hit the other things super effectively.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Next we have fully special Hoopa-unbound. This thing is such a monster it is ridiculous. This is usually my rotom-w switch in since they like to burn on the switch when they send in rotom against chomp, and then they get hit with a very powerful dark pulse. Grass knot is there so that i can ohko hippo, and also do really good damage to non-av azumarill. Energy ball can also be used to hit rotom-w and azumarill harder, but it fails to ohko hippowdon. I went with special because if you look at the rest of my team, it's entirely physical or mixed. Special hoopa also catches a lot of people off guard because most people at this point are expecting the popular choice banded variant, so they usually send in their tankchomps and lando-t's to deal with it which subsequently get blown back by a dark pulse.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

lastly, we have SD regular scizor, since i needed a solid way to deal with clefables and a way to lure in heatran. Scizor is my emergency answer to a lot of things, it's also my main way of dealing with mega-venusaur, since at +2 it ohko's offensive varients and does a lot to defensive varients. I originally had latios in this position for hazard removal, but found that the extra priority from scizor was too good to pass up. the set is pretty standard, max attack and max speed to dent as many things as possible. I had thoughts about changing this to excadrill for hazard control, but after playing this team, you'll see that even with a t-flame, it's not all that weak to hazards because of how offensive it is.​

And finally, the importable, so you can spam this team all on the ladder to your hearts content.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Crunch

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 36 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Rash Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

and now, time for the threatlist

Rain - very hard playstyle for me to play against, diancie doesn't get many opportunities for a free rock polish except against tornadus-t, which even then i need swampert weakaned. really only way i can win is to play around the rain turns and have gatr try to get free setup on politoed, or by having t-flame set up an SD against their ferro/scizor

voltturn - mega mane is a nightmare for this team as well. only way to win is to weaken their walls and have diancie rock polish against mega-mane, but if it gets a lucky para then i just lose.

So, that's my team, hope you guys enjoy it, if you have any ways to make it better, please let me know, I'm always looking for improvement on my teams.

Also, sorry if the rmt looks really bland, haven't done one of these since 5th gen, so I'm a bit rusty.

Last edited:
Hello,nice team here but it have many flaws :
  • Weak to Zard-X
  • Weak to Manaphy
  • Weak to Keldeo
  • Weak to DarkSpam
  • Weak to VoltTurn
First of all,i recommend you to change your Talonflame ev for 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe which will allow you to outspeed 115 bs(mainly Raikou/Thundurus-I which resist to Brave Bird) and to KO them with +2 flare blitz.
Garchomp isn't really good as suicide lead,in ORAS its better to use it as 'tanky mon' which can help you against DarkSpam(Mainly Bisharp),M-Lopunny,M-Gross and Hoopa-U.It will also punish Scarf Landorus-T which can threat M-Diancie and force it out by using U-turn with the rocky helmet/rough skin.
I don't really thing Scizor is good one your team since its not really good in the metagame right now.Using Klefki over him will help you to have a better time with Lati@s hp fire,its ability Prankster allow him to have a priority on statuts moves(Toxic/T-Wave/Magnet Rise/Spikes),it will save you against dragon dancer ect.it also work as soft check to electric types.
You still don't have entry hazard remover for your Talonflame,you don't have a better ground immunity/resistence and you are still weak to Keldeo/Manaphy.Latios doing all of them for you !.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Since you are using hp fire,enough speed to outspeed Keldeo/Terrakion.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Outspeeding Jolly Bisharp

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Magnet Rise
- Thunder Wave
- Dazzling Gleam

2HKO M-Sableye 252 HP/0 SpeDef

Garchomp (Set)
Talonflame (Set)
Scizor >>>
Klefki
Hoopa Unbound >>>
Latios

Last edited:

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
ItzGator is one of my favorite poketubers too! Especially his walking dead lets play, that was hilarious. Anyways, I like the team, but it does have a couple of flaws.
  • Scarf Landorus T is probably the biggest threat to the team. Nothing on your team checks it since it can Earthquake or Stone Edge depending on the pokemon you send out. Even Garchomp, the bulkiest mon on your team, gets 2HKOed by Earthquake. Mega Manectric is also a huge problem too because your only way of defeating it is with Diancie, and most Manectrics just Volt Switch outta there if your Diancie is healthy. I believe that Scarf Keldeo>Scizor will help take care of both those mons, scaring them out with the Hydro Pump. You also said that Scizor is your main way of dealing with Mega Venusaur and Clefable, but Talonflame and Hoopa U should be able to check those mons.
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

• Another prevalent playstyle your weak to is Sand. Life Orb Excadrill can just come in and start eradicating your team by OHKO/2HKO everything on your team with EQ/Rock Slide. Then again, this is offense, but it's always nice to have one check to sand. Tank Chomp>Sash Chomp not only would give you a Sand Check, but also a Talonflame and Lopunny(PuP) switch in.
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Hope I helped!

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Gatr and tflame don't need max speed evs for sure, otherwise the team looks nice. But you get 6-0d by volt turn squadsb(mega mane beats everything but hoopa and that dies to uturn) so I would make chomp boring old tank chomp. Grats on the peak though!

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, really nice team! I agree that offensive electric types like Mega Manectric and Thundurus have a real easy time with this team, and rain teams look difficult to deal with as well. To help combat both of those, I think Celebi > Hoopa-Unbound may work out. Celebi has enough bulk to check offensive electric types (not including Flamethrower/Overheat from Mega Manectric), gives you speed control in the form of thunder wave if you choose to run it (makes it easier to set up with Diancie or revenge kill something with Feraligatr), and gives you a solid answer to rain teams (Ice Punch from Mega Swampert is a 3HKO). Celebi is also able to check Keldeo, and it's a decent answer to Excadrill (Iron Head is a 3HKO). Celebi in general will help with a good number of physical threats like Mega Lopunny, and gives you an easier time dealing with Azumarill, since nothing on your team wants to take an Aqua Jet at +6. For the final slot on Celebi, you can either go for Thunder Wave for speed control, Nasty Plot to nasty pass into Mega Diancie, or Substitute to pass that along to another mon to help them set up.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave / Nasty Plot / Substitute

That's it for now, let me know if my suggestions worked or didn't work, and in the case of the latter, I'll come up with something else. Hope I helped ^_^

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo! I like your team, especially cool that you've gone with an offensive Garchomp since the defensive sets are so much more popular these days.

Basically agree with some of the other things said; your team is hyper offense so it is lacking switch-ins to things like Manectric, Lopunny, etc. I think you should stick with an offensive philosophy - there will be some pokemon you have problems switching into, but it's important to provide counterplay. Right now, you're weaker to offense than any other playstyle and I believe Hoopa is the pokemon sticking out as the problem here, especially concerning Volt-Turn teams.

On such a hyper offensive team, I think having 5/6 of your pokemon as set up sweepers can be problematic when sometimes you need more breakers. That is why my first suggestion is to give Protect to Mega Diancie. What this does is allow you to scout choiced pokemon like Magnezone and Landorus-T, while also allowing you to get off a safe Mega Evolution and have a nice hard hitter off the bat that also checks Keldeo which is annoying to you. Protect can also give you some mindgames against Mega Lopunny which is pretty cool. A simpler spread here is fine with max speed, the requisite 32 Atk for Zapdos and the rest in SpA with a Naive Nature.

This team is very offensively oriented, so I think keeping up your Stealth Rocks is going to be very important. This is why I am suggesting SD Bisharp over SD Scizor, as it will discourage Defog. Granted, this takes away your only switch-in to fairy types (though honestly it only came in once well), but it provides you a stronger priority attack that is resisted by less. Bisharp can threaten Rain and Sand sweepers as well as Mega Manectric, all of which could resist Scizor's Bullet Punch.

As I said before, I think Hoopa is kind of a weak point on the team (especially not running a mixed set; Drain Punch is miles better than Focus Blast as it recovers HP and beats Chansey, but that's beside the point). For the one zillionth time in all my rates, I am going to suggest replacing it with a Serperior. I was considering Breloom at one point for its ability to check Mega Lopunny and Sand Offense, but Serperior jumps up your team's speed factor, allowing you to more reliably check Keldeo and opposing Mega Diancie among other pokemon. It also deals with Gliscor (which checks a lot of your team) quite a bit better than Breloom does. I believe that both Taunt - for stallbreaking and preventing hazard setup - and Giga Drain - to stay healthy and avoid getting revenge killed - are viable options here.

For my last suggestion, I think you should run Lum Berry > Focus Sash on Garchomp. I understand it hurts your ability to be as reckless with your suicide lead, but it allows you to get up hazards against Mega Sableye teams which are much easier to deal with if you can do so. The other thing this does is let you set up an SD against annoying pokemon like Rotom-Wash as it Will-O-Wisps.

Overall these changes will result in fewer switch-ins to offensive fairies, and doesn't help much with Mega Lopunny (losing Scizor hurts that matchup a little) or Volt-Turn, but gives you better revenge killing capabilities against a plethora of water types and many other sweepers.

Some other changes you can play with: HP Fire over Earth Power on Diancie. The reason for this is that luring Scizor, Skarmory and Ferrothorn goes a long way for your team. KOing Ferrothorn for Feraligatr opens up Ice Punch over Superpower, which in turns sets up a Talonflame or Bisharp sweep when you eliminate Garchomps.

Diancie @ Diancite
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Serperior @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse
- Taunt / Giga Drain

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stealth Rock

I think a simpler approach you could try would be to use a Choice Scarf Landorus-T over Hoopa-U - this would give you some speed control, an electric / Lopunny / sand rush Excadrill check. In this scenario I'd still suggest the Mega Diancie and Garchomp changes.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
All your opponent has to do is click "Scald" with Keldeo/Manaphy/Starmie, and your team crumples, except for Hoopa which is ohkoed by a predicted Secret Sword from the former. I feel that your team will struggle vs offense as a result. I feel like a Tail Glow Manaphy of your own could help with that weakness, with Salac Berry or something so that you can get your speed boosted as well. The offensive synergy is so good though that I struggle in replacing something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)