move 2: Substitute
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Leftovers
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Timid
evs: 68 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 176 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site

• Jolteon provides a useful Thunder Wave absorber to Baton Pass chains, and can take the ensuing attacks from Thundurus after a couple boosts.
  • Jolteon can set up on common choiced Volt Switch, Bullet Punch, etc.
  • Useful secondary sweeper on Baton Pass chains; hits Jirachi hard with Thunderbolt which Espeon cannot do.
  • Stored Power has a large base power after boosts are passed to Jolteon.
  • Max Speed lets Jolteon sweep teams in case no Speed boosts were passed.

Additional Comments

• Hidden Power Fighting can be used over Thunderbolt to nail Dark-type Pokemon that are immune to Stored Power, but this lessens effectiveness against Jirachi, and deprives Jolteon of a powerful attack before numerous boosts.
  • Hidden Power Ice can be used over Stored Power for excellent coverage, however Stored Power is generally more powerful on Baton Pass teams.
  • Jolteon can learn Work Up and Agility to provide additional boosts to a chain.
  • A 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe spread can be used to sponge physical attacks after a couple Defense boosts.
Teammates and Counters

• Pokemon on a Baton Pass chain such as Ninjask, Mr. Mime, Smeargle, and Vaporeon.
  • Espeon, to reflect phazing.
  • Pokemon that can set up on strong physical attacks including Earthquake.
  • Counters include Excadrill, powerful Priority, and bulky Pokemon that can break Jolteon's Substitutes.

I think the reason espeon gets a set is nobody can just roar it out, jolteon can absorb the occasional tbolt, If you like this set use it but I dont thinks its particularly useful in OU.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i dont think we give sets for dedicated baton pass teams unless they have a REALLY important function (ie espeon)

Yeah, this doesn't really need it's own analysis imo. A mention in other options will suffice. Espeon does this kind of thing better anyway (and makes a better switch-in for Thunder Wave).

Since this Jolteon fills such a specific niche, it's probably better off as just a quick mention in the OO on how Jolteon can be suited to Baton Pass chains. HP Ice over Stored Power and max SpA would probably be useful changes, since it allows Jolteon to become an effective scout. If Blissey or Tyranitar tries to come in and block you, just Sub up first turn and Baton Pass to the appropriate recipient, letting them come in without fear of debilitating status or on attacks that would just outright kill them.

Okay, after testing, I can confirm that Sub + Baton Pass Jolteon is fantastic in OU, or at least severely underrated. It's one of the best momentum thieves in the tier, and can either hit stuff hard with Thunderbolt (or HP Ice) or just set up a Substitute and pass it to an appropriate target. If Ferrothorn comes in to Jolteon, you can set up a Sub and Baton Pass to Scizor for a guaranteed Swords Dance (Power Whip and Gyro Ball don't break the Sub when it's on Scizor) and thus at least 1-2 free kills. It's also one of the few things that can halt the Rotom-W / Scizor switch chain since it absorbs Volt Change and can wreck Scizor with Thunder. In Drizzle this becomes even more deadly, since you get to use Thunder and paralyse shit too. Hell, it's even a pretty good response to Thundurus since you can outspeed it and hit it hard, and it has to use Focus Blast to try and OHKO you.

name: Sub Pass
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
evs: 68 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe

Hit a Leftovers number, has good attacking power and outspeeds everything up to Dugtrio (ie, everything you'll need to outspeed) Meanwhile, it actually has decent special bulk, about equivalent to Scizor's physical defense. Some weak special attacks such as Hidden Powers won't break Jolteon's subs, leading to an easy pass or the free hits required to KO a target.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, after testing, I can confirm that Sub + Baton Pass Jolteon is fantastic in OU, or at least severely underrated. It's one of the best momentum thieves in the tier, and can either hit stuff hard with Thunderbolt (or HP Ice) or just set up a Substitute and pass it to an appropriate target. If Ferrothorn comes in to Jolteon, you can set up a Sub and Baton Pass to Scizor for a guaranteed Swords Dance (Power Whip and Gyro Ball don't break the Sub when it's on Scizor) and thus at least 1-2 free kills. It's also one of the few things that can halt the Rotom-W / Scizor switch chain since it absorbs Volt Change and can wreck Scizor with Thunder. In Drizzle this becomes even more deadly, since you get to use Thunder and paralyse shit too. Hell, it's even a pretty good response to Thundurus since you can outspeed it and hit it hard, and it has to use Focus Blast to try and OHKO you.

Hit a Leftovers number, has good attacking power and outspeeds everything up to Dugtrio (ie, everything you'll need to outspeed) Meanwhile, it actually has decent special bulk, about equivalent to Scizor's physical defense. Some weak special attacks such as Hidden Powers won't break Jolteon's subs, leading to an easy pass or the free hits required to KO a target.
This is a great set, I've used in quite a lot in my recent rain teams and it is a fantastic scout and revenge killer. I personally think 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe is good enough, but whatever.

Yeah, it's just personal preference. Jolteon has good special bulk anyways, not being 2HKO'd by Gengar's Shadow Ball during testing was completely unexpected and a very nice surprise. :D

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The actual set in the OP seems pretty... lackluster, but GtM's set is very good and probably deserves a mention somewhere.
Time for a similar set for Mienshao?

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
I'd put HP Ice in as the solitary 3rd move, put give Stored Power a big mention in AC for dedicated BP Teams.

If I'm adding this right, you could shift 4 EVs from Speed to Defense and still outspeed Dugtrio, unless there's some specific scarfer/Agility user that you want to outspeed at 375 but not 374.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good find, GtM! Didn't realize that GSC / Advance Jolteon would make a comeback, lol.

Hyperbeem, don't forget to revise your description, since its not following with the set you're presenting.

Leftovers number is overrated. If you account hazards damage / sandstream / poison damage, leftovers number may not even be desirable. Unless you have a specific purpose in those 12 EVs in defense, I'd dump those 12 EVs in HP, which would improve Jolteon's overall bulk.

In retrospect, screw the HP EVs. Tying with other Jolteon and other susceptible pokemon like the occasional Weavile, Aerodactyl and Crobat is probably more important. If you don't run max speed, they can all break your Substitutes before you can kill them or Baton Pass them safely (Leftovers Jolteon's HP Ice deals 26.2% - 31%), reducing your advantage. After testing I've found these situations come up more often than expected, especially against opposing Jolteon and Crobat.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would much rather use maximum speed because of the ubituousness of Dragon Dance Dragonite and Gyarados in the metagame today, so i wouldn't play around with defenses unless Jolteon's Substitute has to survive certain attacks.

Agreeing with the previous comments. The EV spread should have max speed, because I would think the Special Attack isn't more important than out speeding some threats.

evs: 68 HP / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
The EV spread could also be the standard 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe, as I'm not sure how much the small investment in HP helps. Eh, looks good otherwise.

QC APPROVED (3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)