Jynx Discussion

#124 Jynx

Ice/Psychic

Base Stats (455):
65/50/35/115/95/95

Oblivious: Grants immunity to infatuation and Captivate.

Forewarn: Tells which of the opponent's moves has the highest Base Power.

Dry Skin: The Pokemon absorbs Water-type attacks and has a weakness to Fire-type moves. Heals in rain and is damaged by sun.

Notable Moves:
-Calm Mind
-Energy Ball
-Fake Out
-Focus Blast
-Ice Beam
-Lovely Kiss
-Magic Coat (illegal w/DW ability)
-Nasty Plot
-Perish Song
-Psychic/Psyshock (as they are basically grouped together for the rest of time anyways :P)
-Taunt
-Trick (illegal w/DW ability)

Anywho, thought I'd give this a shot here, so here we go. I personally have found Jynx to be just a fun poke overall, I've used it competitively from Gen 2-4 (albeit in NU by the end, but nonetheless). With access to a cool stab combination, both CM and NP, a reliable sleep move in Lovely Kiss, a reliable offensive movepool, and a handful of other little semi-gimmicky littles toys to play around with it (Heal Bell, Wish, Dual Screens, Fake Out, etc.), it was a joy to play with, hands down. So naturally, when I saw that Smoochum was released in DW with the release of Spooky Manor, I was pretty psyched. With this, Jynx was able to drop it's two relatively useless abilities for the illustrious Dry Skin, giving a neat resist to an otherwise neutrally hitting Water moves. True he is getting hit twice as hard by Fire, but what hits was he taking anyway? What's more, with an immunity to Water, a resistance to Ice and a neutrality to both Electric and Grass, Jynx makes for a rather viable check to many common Rain abuse pokes, who are a quickly growing star of RU. More so, with the recovery offered by Dry Skin, Jynx can find it's way of abusing Rain itself for setting up. Of course Jynx is not without it's faults. A weakness to SR, as well as a weakness to the extremely common Bug type leaves him having a rather difficult time sweeping. However, with the right support Jynx can be a rather powerful and threatening force to be reckoned with.

Potential Sets:
Jynx (F) @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss/Substitute/Energy Ball

Basically your standard sweeper arrangement. Ice Beam is your initial stab, with Psychic offered a possible secondary option, though Focus Blast offers quite effective neutral coverage. Lovely Kiss is just a tool of many uses, and can allow you to set up on sleeping/switching pokes, though Substitute is also highly valuable in the face of priority and Pursuit trappers (here's lookin' at you, Honchkrow). Energy Ball wouldn't really be my first choice, but it is your best bet vs. Slowking and even Quaggy (well, specially bulky variants...). I shant get into Psychic v. Psyshock or Energy Ball v. Grass Knot (well, maybe in that case Energy Ball is generally better), both have certain pros and cons, making it more a matter of personal necessity.

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Ice Beam/Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Lovely Kiss/Psychic/Hidden Power [Electric]

Obviously looking a more bulky build, CM Jynx has the potential to completely clean out Rain teams lacking pokes like Kabutops, Qwilfish or Ferroseed w/Gyro Ball. Substitute is obviously more a necessity on this set, to avoid irritating Toxics and such. The choice between Ice Beam and Psychic (and I suppose Psyshock) is obviously that of personal preference and/or necessity. Lovely Kiss again is generally an amusing and useful move, allowing you to put a poke to sleep fairly consistently, allowing you to set up a sub or CM on the switch. However, Hp Electric does round of your coverage with Ice Beam almost perfectly (and Psychic to a lesser extent), and allows you to win in a match-up with Slowking and such 9 times out of 10, which is always nice.

Anywho, there you have it. I'll likely add a set or two in the future, as well as any suggestions you might have. So yeah, discuss and whatnot.

Jynx has access to trick. In gen 4 NU I used to run this set which I found highly effective at potentially incapacitating two opposing pokemon.

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Lovely Kiss

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
God no. No Choice set for Jynx. Trick is illegal with Dry Skin, and Dry Skin should be the only ability used. She should stick with setting up Nasty Plot and Calm Mind.

Do you need Sub on Jynx? It might help in setting up, but given that you already have Lovely Kiss/Sub/NP you can only use Ice Beam to attack. Still, Sub/Lovely Kiss is a good combo to scout for potential revengers and put to sleep.

I thought Sub to be pretty essential on Jynx (especially on the CM set), due to
a. it's ability to block of Toxic and other such
b. it's general frailty on the physical side
c. rising popularity of Pursuit trappers like Honch, Drapion, Skuntank, and Absol

I have been thinking that it could also make a decent Anti-Lead type set, as it seems as though it could beat most of the common leads (though the term is now quite loose with Team Preview nowadays) or incapacitate them via Lovely Kiss. It has it's own niches in it's access to a reliable sleep move, Fake Out (despite he piddling attack, it stills allows for a free sash breaker, as well as a method of scouting movesets to a degree) and Taunt if need be. Something like Ice Beam/Psychic+Fake Out+Lovely Kiss+Taunt/Energy Ball maybe? I dunno, I'll test around with it.

After Breeding 3 different versions of Dry Skin Jynx i found this as it's most effective set.
Jynx @Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature :Timid
Moveset:
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Energy ball
- Ice beam

This jynx, I find, Is the most effective bulky water counter in the RU metagame

The best Jynx set is obviously the Sub NP... I'm surprised no one has posted it yet.

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 8 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss

Lovely Kiss is what makes this set so good. It makes it very easy for Jynx to set up. Nasty Plot boosts its already high base 115 SpA, and 95 Speed is pretty good in RU. The biggest threats to this set are Munchlax and Slowking, and a +4 Ice Beam does 40.71 - 48.09% to Slowking. That just shows how powerful Jynx can be once it sets up. Other good counters are things that resist Ice Beam such as Entei, Klinklang, and Magneton. People overlook one of its most important roles: checking Feraligatr. With Dry Skin, Aqua Jet becomes useless and Jynx can put it to sleep. Dry Skin also works well in combination with rain. Slapping Jynx on a rain team can help your sweepers set up because it will put an opposing Pokemon to sleep and resist Aqua Jets aimed at a weakened Omastar or Kabutops. Jynx really should be used more; it has a lot of uses in RU.

I fully agree with DittoCrow that a Sub Basty Plot Jynx is the best set..taking out Honchkrow right after a sucker punch. But, another very neat and viable set is..

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
EV's: 8 HP / 252 Sp.A / 252 Spe
Timid ( +Spd, - Atk )
-Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [ Fire ]

With Hidden Power Fire it takes out horrible Klinklang and magneton...and it helps out as some support on rain teams aswell gaining the rain boost in HP Jynx can easily sweep in RU and its major threat is Entei. But, with one major threat to a massive sweeper in the metagame makes Jynx one of the top-notch pokemon of RU today.

seems like Jynx is outclassed by Lilligant due to similar stats only Lilligant has the better boosting move and typing, but Jynx gets better attacking options and nasty plot.

I like a focus sash set with Lovely Kiss, Nasty Plot, Ice Beam and Psyshock. (Guess the EV's and nature.) It's a good way to get the match started and take down a pokemon or two. Jynx really is a blessed pokemon due to a high speed

You can't say Quiver Dance is better than Nasty plot outright. Nasty Plot's +2 boost allows you to KO threats that would have KO'd you otherwise.

Lilligant has the better defensive typing, but Jynx has the better offensive typing.

That's true, but because of Jynx's cruddy def and weakness to sucker punch she'll be revenged killed much easier than Lilligant is, not to mention the speed and SpD boost granted by Quiver Dance makes Lilligant MUCH harder to revenge kill with a scarf user and her decent defense and access to Giga Drain means she won't be demolished by priority. Not to mention Grass / Rock covers pretty much all you need to cover except Klinklang who will be put to sleep or demolished by Giga Drain anyway due to a crappy HP and crappy SpD

The only issue I have with what you posted is that you're calling jynx a he. -.- Please don't. It's just gross. Plus it's gender fixed as a female anyway. Any I think a set involving lovely kiss/nasty plot/ice beam/psychic(/)focus blast is most viable. / I don't think Ice alone is great coverage. She needs more than that. With sucker punch running amok in nu/ru saving a lovely kiss for those priority users is the best option. Besides that she NEEDS a focus sash to prevent being revenge killed. Mono attacker seems to gimmicky imo.

Forgive me for being naive, for posting here if I wasnt supposed to and also for not knowing the answer to this - but how do you legally get Nasty Plot AND Dry Skin? Smoochum is always female and therefore since there is no male counterpart you cant pass down dreamworld abilities, right? Nasty Plot is only an egg move from what I've researched. So how can you get both?

You can pass on DW abilities via females.

Male-only Pokemon like Tauros and Hitmons have no way of doing so, so you have to gamble when trying to get them.

I know you can via females but I thought you had to breed them with the same species to get the dreamworld ability passed down. If that is not the case, can you use Ditto and still pass down the ability?

I honestly don't like using Lovely Kiss on Jynx. It can still come in on Bulky Waters or water-type moves and throw up a Substitute. This is a set I enjoy using a lot:

Jynx @ Life Orb
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 SpDef
Timid / Dry Skin

Substitute
Nasty Plot
Ice Beam
Psyshock

Smacks Hariyama who would wall kiss/sub/np, smacks Munchlax, smacks Clefable, smacks Lanturn, and puts the hurt on other NU/RU special walls due to Psyshock. It often doesn't need Lovely Kiss to start setting up or to beat Sucker Punch users, as Substitute (or the threat of Substitute) grants it the turn it needs to get to +2 and overwhelm most common special walls, and its dual stabs give it basically perfect coverage already: ice beam overwhelms physical walls, and psyshock overwhelms special walls. Even in a dark-type dominated metagame, it can easily come in and throw up a Substitute and then start setting up or attacking. Sub+3 attacks is also highly viable. Basically Sub is the best move in RU, so abuse it!

I know you can via females but I thought you had to breed them with the same species to get the dreamworld ability passed down. If that is not the case, can you use Ditto and still pass down the ability?
You just need the female to have the ability, nothing else.

You can't pass it down with a Ditto involved.

Might be easier to check in the SQSA board next time. :P

I've seen Jynx used to some success, and I just love it's new ability. Dry Skin is great because Jynx has shitty defenses and now you can switch in on water type moves!

The best jynx set is LK + 3 attacks.

Jynx @life orb
Dry Skin
timid
252 spA 252 spe 4 def
ice beam, lovely kiss, psyshock, focus blast.

This is the set that got it out of NU, so why not use it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)