Keldeo [available from June 23rd to August 31st]

Well I just noticed on Serebii that Kerudio gets an exclusive move, Sword of Mystery. 85 Attack, 100 Acc, 10 PP, Special FIghting. The thing with this is that it hits for physical damage, like Psycho Shock!!!! So on Calm Mind sets it can slam Blissey, Tyranitar, Snorlax, and tons of others for MASSIVE damage!!!
If true, that's fantastic. His other STAB, Surf, hits Pokemon with high defense like Hippowdon, Skarmory, etc, all very hard.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright this thing looks incredible. If Sword of Mystery does what it's currently being said to do, this would be such a formidable sweeper:

Kerudio @ Life Orb / Swimming Goggles
Justice Heart - Hasty
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Cheer Up
- Hyrdo Pump
- Sword of Mystery
- Stone Edge

I'm pretty sure after a Cheer Up, you'll be OHKOing Salamence / Gyarados with Stone Edge, and you don't really have to fear the two new Dragons setting up on you since one is weak to Fighting and the other has poor defense and is neutral to Fighting.... Blissey can't stop you since I'm pretty sure you'll be OHKOing it with a +1 STAB Sword of Mystery (can't be bothered doing the 4th gen equivalent damage calcs atm). But it is pretty solidly stopped by Grass types unfortunately :(

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Why do you need to go mixed, really? You waste your awesome bulk which is really sucky. I'd rather run Calm Mind with HP Ice / Rock.

This thing is really cool. Swimming Goggles seems like it was made for it. It has a great speed stat on its own, but with this it means outspeeding almost everything. On top of that it gets a move that raises both its attacking stats and a great mixed movepool. I'm really looking forward to trying this thing out. It's going to be hard to figure out what it's using because Swords Dance and Calm Mind have their own merit and can easily fit a niche in any team. I agree with you, this will definitely be top tier for standard play.
Wow this post alone has convinced me to use it. There aren't too many flying or psychic moves out there so his main threat is electric followed by grass moves.

I like how diverse it is. By the way, you have the coolest signature I have ever seen that is just bad ass.

And Solstice seals the deal with that move. Nice.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Yep, I edited Mystery Sword as a move option into the OP of this thread. If it really does work like Psycho Shock, that'll be an excellent move to use on this beast.

After asking around, I was told Swimming Goggles is a fake item....what a bust. As such, I deleted all mentions of it. Not all is lost, though. Life Orb / Leftovers are still great items for Kerudio, and will likely be a staple on him. Swimming Goggles was just too good to be true...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Justice Heart does not grant an immunity to Dark-type attacks. If ingame testing is anything to go by, Crunch actually damaged it.

Either way, this thing has a great typing and probably could be top-tier material.

Just a couple of Sets I randomly came up with and I wanted to post them. Lets see how well I do, as these are some of the very first extensive sets that I have come up with.

Calm mind/Special Sweeper/Dakrai Counter
Kerudio@Swimming Goggles
Ability: Justice Heart
Nature: Hasty/Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Sword Of Mystery
-HP Ice
-Calm Mind/Surf/Boiling Water

There are a few things that make Kerudio the ULTIMATE Darkrai counter. Firstly, it is a fighting type which resists Darkrai's signature Dark pulse. Secondly, because of Kerudio's special ability-Justice Heart-It absorbs and nullifies all dark attacks (hopefully including dark void) and whenever it is hit by one, it raises its attack. This will prevent it from falling asleep, which renders Darkrai powerless to watch in fear while it is utterly taken down by a STAB Super effective Sword Of Mystery or Mystery Sword with Kerudio's Awesome 129 Base SpA and it's soft physical defenses (Which would be even more powerful with Calm Mind, should you choose to put it in the moveset). Thirdly is Kerudio's Item, Swimming Goggles. Swimming goggles do three main things: Raise its speed, which will probably allow it to outspeed Darkrai; raises its accuracy, which allows it use use STAB hydro pump and not miss as much; and puts all pokemon who aren't water type to sleep. This renders the "Trick or Treat" Darkrai useless as well because if it tricks Kerudio, Darkrai gets put to sleep.

For the moveset, Hydro pump would be the water STAB move of choice because the swimming goggles increase accuracy. Focus blast is the Fighting STAB move of choice, as it does special damage. HP Ice Is also a good thing to use because it helps get rid of those pesky Grass type and Dragon type pokemon that could wall Kerudio. The last move Is basically your choice, though calm mind is recommended, as it boosts the power of all the special moves Kerudio Has in it's repertoire.

Swords Dance (Physical Sweeper)/Dakrai Counter
Kerudio@Swimming Goggles
Nature: Hasty/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/252 Spe
-Aqua Jet
-Close Combat
-X-Scissor/Poison Jab/other
-Swords Dance

The Physical Side Of Kerudio's Movepool and defenses, which opens it up to a lot broader of a movepool. Again, for the reasons listed above, it makes an awesome Darkrai counter. This time, though It will need to have Swords dance at the ready because it only has a measly attack stat of 70 (well measly compared to most ubers) but getting one or two sword dances in makes it a very powerful force to be reckoned with. With a STAB Priority move and STAB Close combat, it can really tear into things that are even neutral to it.

For the moveset, Aqua Jet is your Priority STAB which is really helpful in dealing with things that could threaten you. Close Combat is another STAB which is really powerful and hit Darkrai and Blissey for super effective hits in their soft physical defenses. X-Scissor/Poison Jab is something I kinda just threw in there to kill those pesky Grass types that can wall/kill you, you can replace that with anything. Swords dance is really needed here, as you need to boost that measly attack stat.

This Generation looks really interesting and with all the type combinations, it looks like Uber battling is gonna change a lot. Kerudio is definitely going to change the way people use Darkrai, as it went basically without a counter for Generation 4. Kerudio will now make Darkrai/Other pokemon have either Psychic or Electric moves standard, but with the right partner, it can overcome both of those. I cant wait! Until then:

-Lugia

EDIT: Hmmm..... If swimming goggles aren't real, then this post might need some revising. Also, if its ability doesn't absorb dark attacks..... then I might as well just delete this whole thread, as the ability is basically the cornerstone for both of these sets..... Hmm, I'm going to have to just keep watching and pray that Justice Heart comes through, and if it doesn't, oh well. I guess I tried xD

Being able to run a mixed set without giving up any of its bulk is seriously win. Water/Fighting is an amazing type in and of itself, and a CM/Sword of Mystery/Coverage/Coverage set could rip some serious holes. LOVING this thing, especially Sword of Mystery.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
What do you mean it doesn't get Ice Beam? It's required to get Ice Beam.
No, it really doesn't. That was one of the reasons I thought it sucked (until I knew about Mystery Sword) even lol. Good to know the ugly-as-fuck pony will actually be a pretty boss pokémon!

Posted in the OP
Calm Mind
Kerudio @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Surf / Hydro Pump
-Sword of Mystery
-Taunt
There is no need to run a Naive nature. Sword of Mystery is still a Special Attack. It just hits the opponent's defense stat. Naive nature has no benefits here. Timid Nature gives a noticeable difference in Special Defense.

This thing immediately caught my eye. water/fighting is an absolutely brilliant typing and without a doubt one of the best in the game, and unlike poliwrath this has the stats to back it up. The biggest threats to walling it look like

latias
celebi
salamence+dragonite
slowbro+starmie

which are I think the only things that will resist both stabs. hp:ice takes care of the first 4, and boiling water takes care of the last two. Sword of justice looks like you can completely ignore blissey/snorlax and possibly go without taunt using

calm mind
boiling water
sword of justice/focus blast
hp:ice

I'd be tempted to use focus blast since the sword of justice threat will keep blissey away.

Bloo

Banned deucer.
@Quaily: HP Ice doesn't really "take care" of Latias and Celebi:

A + 1 CM, LO HP Ice from Kerudio only does 34.96% - 41.26% to a Latias with 192 HP EVs and a Timid nature, while doing 39.53% - 46.51% to Latias with no HP investment. Given that Latias is faster than Kerudio, it can switch in on a resisted Focus Blast or Hydro Pump, and deal a massive 102.78% - 121.30% back with a Choice Specs Draco Meteor. LO variants can defeat Kerudio with the combination of Thunderbolt + Draco Meteor, while replenishing any damage sustained with Recover.

If not running X-Scissor, Celebi can paralyze Kerudio with Thunder Wave, regain any health lost with Recover, then proceed to murder him with Leaf Storm. Long story short, Kerudio will struggle versus these Pokémon, whether it runs HP Ice or not.

which are I think the only things that will resist both stabs
In addition to the Pokémon you mentioned, Burungeru stops Kerudio cold. The jellyfish's Ghost-typing grants it an immunity to Kerudio's Fighting moves. Additionally, it absorbs Kerudio's Water moves thanks to Water Absorb. It can also use Will-O-Wisp to cripple him. The Grass / Poison Pokémon that Beej mentioned in his post can prove troublesome as well.

There is no need to run a Naive nature. Sword of Mystery is still a Special Attack. It just hits the opponent's defense stat. Naive nature has no benefits here. Timid Nature gives a noticeable difference in Special Defense.
Good catch, thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Justice Heart does not grant an immunity to Dark-type attacks. If in-game testing is anything to go by, Crunch actually damaged it.

Either way, this thing has a great typing and probably could be top-tier material.
Damn, I was hoping it would absorb Dark-type attacks...

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
What I would use is CM, Taunt, HydroPump, SoM @leftovers.

Still sucks against Latias, Gyarados and Mence, but it will beat Celebi, Slowbro and Starmie without too much trouble.

The other option would be HP Rock.

Also you missed the Jellyfish, who is immune to both water and fighting.. You obviously would need to pursuit this or something if you wanted to use the set I suggested.

Have a nice day.

It seems like a nice typing and such. Movepool doesn't look bad either. I think I prefer the calm mind set if anything. I also didn't realize Latias hurt this thing so badly with that Choice Specs Draco-Meteor O.0

What I would use is CM, Taunt, HydroPump, SoM @leftovers.

Still sucks against Latias, Gyarados and Mence, but it will beat Celebi, Slowbro and Starmie without too much trouble.

The other option would be HP Rock.

Also you missed the Jellyfish, who is immune to both water and fighting.. You obviously would need to pursuit this or something if you wanted to use the set I suggested.

Have a nice day.
i think dropping taunt for hp electric culd work on this since blissy wont be causing trouble anyway and that the main use for taunt. so you should still beat everything but celebi (i havent seen a single one of those) from your list while also beating burunkeru.

...i´m glad they gave it sacred sword, just when i gave up on this it became awesome.

Azure Demon

Me id run

rushing water(Calm mind set)

Kerudio@ salac berry
Nature: Modest (+Sp.atk, -Atk)

Calm mind
Hp grass/sub/hp elec
Hydro pump/surf
sword of mystery

Pretty much a standard set to cover all bases
Personally myself I think hp grass will be so much more valuable than hp elec especially since gamefreak loved zapdos enough to give it the ability to absorb electric attacks. Sub is listed as an alternative to block status, explosion, and more importantly revenge kill attempts.

My set of choice:

Boosting Special Sweeper

Kerudio @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs 192 HP / 60 SpA / 252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump/Boiling Water
- Sword of Mystery
- HP Ice/X-Scissor/Taunt

Timid Nature to outspeed neutral base 108s like Infernape. Switch in on something it can scare away, or if you're packing Taunt, switch it in on the likes of Blissey. Hydro Pump is STAB of choice, being able to -insert info gathered from calcs-. Sword of Mystery hits special walls like Blissey and Snorlax hard, being a special move while hitting the opponent's physical side. Last move is up to you. HP Ice handles the many Dragons in the Gen 5 metagame and takes care of Grasses too. X-Scissor hits Grasses harder than HP Ice and has x4 effectiveness on Celebi, who otherwise completely walls this set without heavy boosting beforehand. Taunt is to shutdown Status-ers and Phazers attempting to stop your sweep.

EV Spread is randomly thought up by me because I like Leftovers on Calm Mind sets.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know how this guy actually gets Sword of Mystery? Are you sure it's not an event move we don't have access to until later?

I don't see a lot of point in using it anyway since kerudio gives blissey plenty to fear with mixed and physical sets available to it. even boosted focus blasts will hit her pretty hard.

Does anyone know how this guy actually gets Sword of Mystery? Are you sure it's not an event move we don't have access to until later?
What we know about Mystery Sword is this:
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpost.php?p=11642133&postcount=233
Coronis said:
Thanks to Kein and Veekun who extracted the text dump of BW, there are a few interesting things found (partly covered by Kein already).

2) Keludio was raised by the 'musketeer' trio when it became an orphan due to an forest fire in the past. The in-game event a Keludio triggers apparently involves you bringing all three members of the trio with you, and together they will teach Keludio the move 'Secret Sword', normally not learnable in-game.
Since Kerudio itself appears to be an event Pokemon, presumably whatever Kerudio is given out eventually would activate this event (since, numerically, it's the first of the three event Pokemon at the end of the Pokedex it'll probably be given out by the time the next movie starts airing in Japanese theaters, so less than a year away).

joshe

the best
Pony da bestest. It's the cutest mon ever.

Seriously though, the Calm Mind set (with Leftovers) is amazing as it can set up on many 5th generation Pokemon, thanks to the Special Defense boost, and its typing has amazing coverage with 2 amazing dual STAB moves in Surf and Mystery Sword. Hidden Power [Electric] hits Burunkeru (the future go-to bulky water + ghost) for super effective damage who otherwise walls your entire moveset.

Guys, are you kidding me with Hidden Power Grass? I really hope you are because the only thing you're gonna use it for is Swampert who can't take that many Surfs (it gets 2HKO'd at +1; Hydro Pump easily 2HKOs), and uh, to hit Gyarados neutrally? I'd much rather use Hidden Power Electric which OHKOs Gyarados, and it does massive damage to Vaporeon and Suicune while you still get neutral damage on the likes of Salamence. The choice of Hidden Power Ice really doesn't make sense to me; why would you want to be walled by Burunkeru to hit Celebi, and Latias for piss poor damage? The only thing you get out of it is hitting Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, and Flygon for 4x Damage but you can hit 2 of those 4 with a really powerful Surf or Hydro Pump. Celebi is gonna suck this generation with all the massive physical attackers that get U-turn and Dark-types like Sazando (who is nearly the perfect teammate for Kerudio). Specs or Mixed Sazando is amazing with this set as it can break down Celebi, Burunkeru and most of its "counters" with its Dark and Dragon typing. So yeah Hidden Power Electric is boss. Here are the two sets for Sazando if you wanted to know (they are separated by a | ).

Sazando @ Expert Belt | Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Naive | Timid
EVs: 24 HP / 216 Atk / 176 SpA / 92 Spe | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Crunch | Draco Meteor
- Draco Meteor | Fire Blast
- Fire Blast | Earth Power
- Earthquake | Dragon Pulse
---

P.S. you don't really even need Taunt on any Calm Mind set. Taunting blissey is absolutely pointless when you do 534 Atk vs 130 Def & 714 HP (85 Base Power): 750 - 884 (105.04% - 123.81%) with a +1 Mystery Sword. Yep, that's MAX HP / MAX DEF BOLD BLISSEY vs +1 Leftovers Timid Kerudio. That's like hitting Blissey with the force of a Machamp DynamicPunch...AMAZING. Gee, even at +0, Kerudio's doing 356 Atk vs 130 Def & 714 HP (85 Base Power): 500 - 590 (70.03% - 82.63%) to it with a Mystery Sword. Gotta' love it. Heh, a lot of Specially-based attacking Pokemon sure are going to love the HorsePower this pony gives out.

If you still don't think Kerudio is the bestest mon ever, you suck

A Choice Specs set would be viable with Sword of Mystery,Hydro Pump, Hidden Power Grass/Electric and Focus Blast or Surf. Kerudio in general is walled to no end by Burunkeru if Kerudio lacks Taunt and Stone Edge.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Water/Fighting is an amazing typing, and overall this looks pretty threatening. I am looking forward to the effects of the Calm Mind set on the metagame. It's a real shame this doesn't learn ice beam; Celebi is pretty much a 100% counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)