Pokémon Kingdra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

From the moment it hits the field, Kingdra will get at most one free turn to boost with (the turn which the opponent uses to swap in their counter). No competent player will sit on their hands and let a Kingdra use Focus Energy and Agility. They'll either OHKO it on Agility, or weaken it to the point where a strong priority move will finish it off.

Your best bet at getting Kingdra to +2 Spe with Focus Energy is to Baton Pass the +2 Spe from a Scolipede (Scoli's a magnet for Fire-type attacks). Kingdra takes practically no damage thanks to a 4x resist, and forces a switch; the "one free turn" it needs to set up Focus Energy. From there, Kingdra outspeeds all of OU minus Scarfers and can spam Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump (which can 2HKO standard Ferrothorn).
Another possibility is running Swift Swim over Sniper in rain which gives acceptable power to Hydro Pump/Surf, but the power drop is significant for DM.

Would a Scope Lens + Focus Energy set to take advantage of guaranteed crits and Sniper to spam Draco Meteors at will (while also ignoring the SpA drop) be viable? Or is it too gimmicky

So I read this and was like: WHAAAAAAT? I had to know just how much damage Kingdra could do like this.
252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon on a critical hit: 162-190 (41.1 - 48.2%)
That much, apparently. Has anyone used this thing yet? He looks like he could go far.

So I read this and was like: WHAAAAAAT? I had to know just how much damage Kingdra could do like this.
252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon on a critical hit: 162-190 (41.1 - 48.2%)
That much, apparently. Has anyone used this thing yet? He looks like he could go far.
Yeah, but special wall sylveons are dropping in popularity for tanking sets that you can 2HKO. Fairies in general mess up any special kingdra set though

I dont understand why the mixed swift swim set has max spd. I think those ev's should be distributed through atk and spd, I dont want to do calcs right now but I am pretty sure some atk ev's would really help that set.

Yeah, but special wall sylveons are dropping in popularity for tanking sets that you can 2HKO. Fairies in general mess up any special kingdra set though
252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss on a critical hit: 177-208 (47.3 - 55.6%)
Azumarill is the only one that can switch in without getting messed up, even with max evs and nature.

I dont understand why the mixed swift swim set has max spd. I think those ev's should be distributed through atk and spd, I dont want to do calcs right now but I am pretty sure some atk ev's would really help that set.
It depends on how fast you NEED Kingdra to be. With no speed investment whatsoever (not even nature), swiftswim puts Kingdra over 400 speed. That outspeeds the likes of Jolteon, but not Alazazam. If you are using dragon dance, even more evs can be shifted over to other stats. If Kingdra is your final end game sweeper though, he needs to outdo all scarfers and Alakazams.

It depends on how fast you NEED Kingdra to be. With no speed investment whatsoever (not even nature), swiftswim puts Kingdra over 400 speed. That outspeeds the likes of Jolteon, but not Alazazam. If you are using dragon dance, even more evs can be shifted over to other stats. If Kingdra is your final end game sweeper though, he needs to outdo all scarfers and Alakazams.
Going to have to assume you mean Mega-Zam there?

Yeah I was going to ask about that...nobodys uses Mega Zam, and most of the scarfers that are threats to the kingdra should be dealt with before going for a sweep anyway. That is the whole point of setting up for a sweep. not trying to be rude just talking it out.

Getting two turns of setup isn't feasible unless your opponent makes a huge mistake. Double Dance is viable on stuff like Terrakion that only needs two moves and can just pick whichever dance is appropriate, but Sniper Kingdra absolutely needs Focus Energy; it'll always have highest priority on setting that up and won't have time for Agility.
I feel that if you set up walls then kingdra might very well be able to set up both a focus energy and a agility. But while I say this I havent tested it myself b/c my thought process is the same as yours, i was just surprised that no one even mentioned the possibility of double dance (you know what instead this should be called "focus dance")

100%

Stages of crit:
+0 6.25
+1 12.5
+2 50
+3 100

May seem like they skipped 25, but I won't be the one to complain
Wrong. It's 50%. Focus Energy only boosts the Critical Hit Ratio Stage by +1. Not +2.

So...
All attacks besides certain moves start at 0 (which equals 6.25%).
Focus Energy adds +1, which means that the Critical Hit Ratio Stage is at +1 (which means a +12.5% chance).

Then the Scope Lens / Razor Claw adds +1 again.

That means that the Critical Hit Ratio Stage is at +2; therefore, there is only a 50% chance of nabbing a Critical Hit. Not 100%.

Wrong. It's 50%. Focus Energy only boosts the Critical Hit Ratio Stage by +1. Not +2.
Focus Energy always gave a +2 boost before, and according to everything I've heard about it in Gen 6, it retains that +2 boost and now means +0 moves go to 50% crit and +0 moves go to 100% crit. So yes, it works.

Focus energy has given 2 boosts since dpp, and every test I've done shows that hasn't changed. Please don't claim things without doing the proper research and testing again wild wild shot

Focus energy has given 2 boosts since dpp, and every test I've done shows that hasn't changed. Please don't claim things without doing the proper research and testing again wild wild shot
Wildshot, actually. It's one word. There's also only one usage of the word "wild". Lastly, the "W" is capitalized.

My apologies as to the mistake, though. Serebii simply stated that Focus Energy raised the Critical Hit Ratio's Stage. It didn't state that it rose by 2 stages, though.

my question is:why the focus energy set was not used last gen?what am i missing?
Because the critical hit mechanics weren't as easily manipulated as they are now.

I just watched PokeaimMD's battles with him utilizing Sniper Kingdra and omg this thing has potential to be very broken under the right circumstances.

is it cool if i post a battle of me using bp to focus energy kingdra? if not i apologize and the mods can just delete this post

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebankoubeta-67293810

o and i know my team is strange and most likely not very good but i just kinda threw stuff together with no real thought in it lol
This is exactly what I was talking about: Scolipede is Fire bait. I like your idea of using Scolipede's nature as setup bait itself to pass a Sub, too.

252 SpA Sniper Kingdra Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Togekiss on a critical hit: 177-208 (47.3 - 55.6%)
Azumarill is the only one that can switch in without getting messed up, even with max evs and nature.
You didn't take in account Modest, or Hydro Pump, which does net the 2hko for the 252 HP/252 Atk Azu sets...though just barely.
Or is no one running that? :O
Just to advocate Modest, with Sticky Web support it outspeeds Timid Base 130's with 252 Speed EV's.

As far as a Speed Boost Partner, Scolipede or Combusken? Scolipede has the better support moveset and is much faster...but Combusken has the Focus Energy Pass niche.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)