Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

#784 - Kommo-o
Scaly Pokemon
Type: Dragon / Fighting
Base Stats - 75 HP / 110 Atk / 125 Def / 100 SpA / 105 SpD / 85 Spe

Abilities
Ability 1 - Bulletproof: Protects the Pokémon from some ball and bomb moves.
Ability 2 - Soundproof: Unaffected by sound moves. If this Pokémon switches out with Baton Pass, Perish Song against the switched out will not be nullified.
Hidden Ability - Overcoat: Protects Pokémon from Weather Effects and Powder moves such as Sleep Powder, Poison Powder etc.
Level Up
L0 - Clanging Scales
L1 - Clanging Scales
L1 - Sky Uppercut
L1 - Belly Drum
L1 - Autotomize
L1 - Tackle
L1 - Leer
L1 - Bide
L1 - Protect
L5 - Leer
L9 - Bide
L13 - Protect
L17 - Dragon Tail
L21 - Scary Face
L25 - Headbutt
L29 - Work Up
L33 - Screech
L38 - Iron Defense
L43 - Dragon Claw
L51 - Noble Roar
L59 - Dragon Dance
L67 - Outrage

TMs
TM01 - Work Up
TM02 - Dragon Claw
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM08 - Bulk Up
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethrower
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM54 - False Swipe
TM56 - Fling
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM82 - Dragon Tail
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM100 - Confide

Egg Moves
Egg - Counter
Egg - Reversal
Egg - Dragon Breath

Tutor Moves
Draco Meteor

New Moves
Clanging Scales:
The user rubs the scales on its entire body and makes a huge noise to attack the opposing Pokemon. The users Defense stat goes down after the attack. 100% accuracy [Dragon] 110 BP, Special.

Overview:

Being the pseudo-legendary of the Alolan region, Kommo-o is blessed with a great BST of 600. While at first glance, its movepool seems to be lacking (main problem being lack of high powered BP physical Fighting STAB, with Sky Uppercut as its most damaging Fighting STAB on the physical side), Kommo-o has the movepool that it needs to be a threat. With some great boosting moves in Autotomize, Swords Dance, and Dragon Dance complimenting its already great offensive dual STAB combination as well as decent offensive stats to go along with that, there are many different ways to play with this Pokemon. Despite a 4x weakness to Fairy-types, Kommo-o's great 75/125/105 bulk means that it can definitely take a couple of hits which can work out to its advantage when throwing out attacks or setting up. Kommo-o may not seem like one of the strongest Pokemon of the new region, but it has many positive attributes which it can use to great effect.

Potential Sets:

Choice Specs
Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Ability: Bulletproof / Overcoat
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid / Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales / Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

This was the original set that I've been testing around with, and it works very well due to Kommo-o's high BP STAB's as well as two great coverage moves in Flamethrower and Flash Cannon. The set's purpose is simple: Clanging Scales and Focus Blast are both very high damaging STAB's with great overall coverage; Draco Meteor is an option over Clanging Scales for the 20 extra BP, although this forces you to hit-and-run more as opposed to Clanging Scales which you can use to keep denting slower switchins. Flamethrower is your main way of hitting Aegislash, and also has added benefits of being a more accurate way to hit Grass-types, Scizor and Ferrothorn. Flash Cannon rounds out the coverage by allowing you to hit Fairy-types which resist or take little damage from the rest of Kommo-o's moves. Timid or Modest natures both work here; I prefer the power from Modest, however Timid allows you to outspeed threats such as Timid Hoopa-U, Timid Heatran, Modest Kingdra.

Swords Dance
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Sky Uppercut
- Poison Jab / Earthquake

This set aims to break down many of Kommo-o's bulkier switchins. Set up a Swords Dance, and then many slower switchins will find it difficult to switch into Kommo-o. Dragon Claw or Outrage are both fine options depending on your preference of power vs. ability to switch moves. Sky Uppercut is your most powerful physical Fighting-type STAB. The choice between Poison Jab and Earthquake depends solely on your team, as Poison Jab is mainly to take on Fairy-types which otherwise wall Kommo-o while Earthquake is for Aegislash and Toxapex. As mentioned before, choice between Jolly and Adamant depends on preference.

Autotomize
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Autotomize
- Clanging Scales
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon / Flamethrower

This set takes more of a sweeping approach and is more tailored to its strong special movepool. It has the bulk to set up on a number of Pokemon, and the spread specifically is designed to outspeed Adamant Mega Scizor, outspeed up to Scarf Garchomp when Kommo-o is at +2 while also hitting a LO number. I wouldn't consider this spread optimal right now, you can absolutely go ahead and play around with the spreads (outspeeding Modest Kingdra in rain is something you might find interesting so that Pelipper+Kingdra doesn't stop your sweep). Outspeeding Pheromosa is also a blessing so that it doesn't stop your sweep short. Choice between Flash Cannon and Flamethrower depends on how much you really hate Aegislash, but it's good so that it can punch holes in the enemy team and Aegislash early game before you actually decide to go for a sweep.

Dragon Dance
Kommo-o @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Sky Uppercut
- Poison Jab / Earthquake

Definitely Kommo-o's most outclassed set at a glance, but it has some uses. Dragon/Fighting STAB overall is very nice for a DD'er, and it has enough speed to just outspeed Pheromosa at +1 (+1 Kommo-o hits 442). Nothing much to comment on for this one, just a simple DD set, although hard to justify compared to some of the better DD'ers around.

Personal Thoughts:

I definitely see a lot of positive qualities in Kommo-o. While it certainly will not be a meta-defining Pokemon by any means, it has enough power and good coverage to be a threat to offensive and bulky teams alike depending on the set it runs. I think that the main problem it suffers from is the lack of a great speed stat, along with offenses that could be better, but at least it has the STAB's to make up for it. Overall a very fun option that I have greatly been enjoying and I would recommend all of you to try it out, Kommo-o is fun.

Last edited:
I haven't tested this in OU with all the op stuff bannd, but I think a bd set is viable for late game cleanup if you can get rid of fairy, flying and psychic-type checks.
Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Reversal
- Shadow Claw/Dragon Claw

sub-drum up for the salac boost and sweep. A really good teammate for this is Magearna as it can deal with opposing dragon, fairy and flying types that would otherwise cause this thing trouble. Hoopa-U is also a powerful teammate, able to remove psychics with Specs Dark Pulse.

Belly Drum should definitely be listed as a set. This thing can plow through most walls once it sets up as only Aegislash resists Dragon + Fighting + Poison. Skarmory is OHKO'd after SR.

Kommo-o @ Normalium-Z / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Soundproof / Bulletproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Sky Uppercut
- Outrage
- Poison Jab / Autotomize

Just theorycrafting here, but I think Kommo-o could be a good addition to rain teams. A DD or SD set with Lum Berry and Bulletproof can safely setup on Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur, two huge annoyances for Rain teams.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm sorry, but BD is just not viable on a base 85 Speed Pokemon with no priority, especially if it already gets Swords Dance.

This thing is pretty dissapointing tbh. Specs seems nice enough, but even then, you're usually better off with Hydreigon or Latios. Its typing is pretty good offensively so it's a shame it does't get better stats or a better movepool. Defensively, it doesn't seem that useful, it checks the hell out of Bisharp and TTar but it's not really alone in that.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm sorry, but BD is just not viable on a base 85 Speed Pokemon with no priority, especially if it already gets Swords Dance.

This thing is pretty dissapointing tbh. Specs seems nice enough, but even then, you're usually better off with Hydreigon or Latios. Its typing is pretty good offensively so it's a shame it does't get better stats or a better movepool. Defensively, it doesn't seem that useful, it checks the hell out of Bisharp and TTar but it's not really alone in that.
As far as Dragon types, though, it probably handles those the best. Resisting Sucker Punch and Tyranitar STABs isn't too bad.

Agree that it is pretty bad for Belly Drum. Swords Dance is a lot better and less punishing overall. Belly Drum requires super niche situations (like it's stall that somehow lacks Unaware and Fairy-types...).

Yea, this is a solid mon but needs Close Combat/Drain Punch/better Fairy Coverage and the like with Move Tutors.

Still, solid mixed attacker that has an interesting (and quite good in some cases) typing.

Dragon / Fighting is no where as good as it use to be after the introduction of Fairy Types. Kommo-O gets more disappointing the more I think of the Dragon. Aegislash can wall the living hell out of it, Mimikyu can come in for free and set up while Kommo-O is forced out immediately if you're running only two attacking moves. Due to Kommo-O's disappointing offensive stats. Many other Pokemon can check it even at +2.

Kommo-O really suffers from Four move slot syndrome. Either Fairies easily check it if your running EQ or Flamethower. Or Aegislash comes in virtually for free if you decide to run Poison Jab. I'm not a fan of the Choiced sets. It's not powerful or fast enough to use them to great use. There is also the huge problem of Kommo-O's dual STAB having a type immunity to each. Locking yourself to either invites Fairies or Ghosts to set up after killing something.

With Aegislash on the horizon. Kommo-O is not a great Pokemon in OU. That is without factoring in threats like Tapu Lele, Latios, Tornadus, Weavile and other friends who threathen it. Mimikyu is a big thorn on Kommo-O's side if it gets relevant in OU. Aegislash is obviously getting banned soon, so that's one relief. Though Mimikyu can be a dangerous threat that can make Kommo-O a huge liability on your team.

Please Game Freak, give Kommo a good physical Fighting STAB. Sky Uppercut sucks.

I don't see this thing sticking around in OU, between Dragonite, Garchomp and Latios it just has way too much competition. That said I can see it being really good in UU, as it's super versatile. I've been running a Bulk Up set, and it smashes stall teams once opposing Fairies are down.

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof / Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bulk Up / Swords Dance
- Sky Uppercut
- Dragon Claw

With Soundproof, only Infiltrator mons can break your Subs. Bulletproof can be run instead to turn Ferrothorn and defensive Aegislash into set up fodder. Substitute gives you protection from status. Bulk Up increases your Attack and defence, letting you set up on weak physical attackers. Swords Dance can be used if you need more power. Sky Uppercut is the best physical Fighting STAB Kommo-o has. Dragon Claw is a safe reliable Dragon STAB. EVs let you outrun max Speed Breloom, with max HP for optimum bulk and the rest in Attack. This set needs offensive Aegislash and Fairy types down before it can sweep.

this thing badly needs some tutor moves like drain punch iron head and elemental punches to improve it's physical attacking sets.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh cool, so we have a Dragon / Fighting type for once! And it's a pseudo-legendary too, I love pseudo-legends! This thing also has a really cool design and it looks awesome aesthetically. Kommo-O's offensive are basically Goodra's in reverse though, lol. But...it has nice bulk and its Speed is okay too, and the typing isn't shabby by any stretch of imagination.

That said though...its movepool seems really, you know, shallow by the looks of it. It has nice coverage with its STABs alone but it just has some modestly powerful coverage moves at best (how does this not learn Fire Blast? I mean almost every Dragon-type that learns Flamethrower does). That said, it has good mixed offensive stats but it's not super impressive compared to say, Garchomp or the Latis or Hydreigon. It does have a nice SD/DD set as well as a Specs set which could work well considering it has good coverage. Sky Uppercut isn't super impressive as a STAB and I would much prefer if it had Close Combat or Drain Punch. Eh, but at least Sky Uppercut is modestly powerful so that's something. Special sets seem nice too since they have Focus Blast and Changing Scales which are both powerful, and then coverage allows for both Flamethrower and Flash Cannon which covers both Fairies and Aegislash. The SD set will have issues though since it needs to cover against Fairies and Aegi, and the 4MSS only allows it to cover one of the two parties that counter it. It does hit very hard with both sets though and boasts very good coverage overall.

However, its bulk and typing are nice, and those abilities aren't bad. Bulletproof allows it to cockblock Gengar, and it can check Bisharp and Tyranitar very well too. It has good defensive utility and it wouldn't be shabby as a breaker with the ability to check some notable stuff. It could find usage in OU as a pretty decent wallbreaker with its coverage and stats, and has the bulk to pull it off decently well.

It seems like a cool mon, it won't be super spectacular by any means but it'll be usable I'm sure. It seems like it'll be decent and fun to use at the very least. And it's a pseudo-legendary which gives it extra points in my book as far as liking it goes. It probably might not be OU, but it looks like it'll have a decent ability to perform in OU, and it'll probably be neat in UU too, so it'll definitely be good in UU at the very least.

Initially, I really loved the idea of this thing. It's awesome looking. A Dragon/Fighting Type. Balanced stats. Did I mention it's cool looking? As I started thinking about it more and more though, I suddenly realized, "Dragon/Fighting....... what a terrible idea." And then everything just kinda clicked into place. 4 times weakness to Fairy, it's middling movepool, Getting hard countered by so many different things. My friend and I, argued over a mixed attacking set for a good half hour. We were arguing over whether Clanging Scales or draco meteor would be better as the Special dragon move, completely missing the fact that mixed attacking Kommo-o would be terrible.

Imma hold my judgement of the thing until we get the inevitable Move Tutors. As of right now though, I wanna say, mid to high UU maybe.

Is a mixed Attacking set out of the question? And how would one choose the best nature for a mixed set with its all around good stats?

Quiet/Rash @assault vest 252 Attack, 252 SpA, 6HP
Clanging Scales
Sky Uppercut
Poison Jab
Flamethrower

This seems like my best idea for a Mixed Wall breaker. You get about 320's in each attacking stat, and you are still naturally tanky, even with a Rash set thanks to Assault vest. Any of the abilities work for keeping it tanky, just depends on what you feel you need.

The way I see it, I think Kommo-o has great potential, and it's certainly not that bad, looking at that stat spread and access to great boosting moves. 4x weaknesses aside (which many pseudos have, save for Metagross), Kommo-o may not have Garchomp's speed or Salamence's power, but what it does have allows it to fit in teams that need a physical, special, or mixed attacker, and it can become a threat if it gets a boost or two off. The physical movepool, as of this writing, is quite shallow and needs a bit more pizazz, but the special movepool is decently solid, and 100 base Sp. Atk is a nice starting point for Choice Specs or Life Orb. Kommo-o needs more physical moves at his disposal, as the few he has, while useful, might not break the heartiest of walls. Like everyone said, Close Combat or Drain Punch would be nice jumping off points for Kommo-o, as one is very powerful, but drops your defenses, and the other is weaker than Sky Uppercut, but allows you to regain health and stay in longer. The elemental punches would also be nice, as it allows Kommo-o to deal with his other weaknesses, like rival Dragons such as Garchomp, or stray Flying types. Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch would also be viable options for dealing with Fairies. Heck, even Cross Chop and Superpower would help it, as the lack of a powerful (physical) Fighting type STAB outside of Sky Uppercut, which has decent power, but not enough to break those walls, and Mach Punch would also be useful as a priority STAB move. That being said, Kommo-o has potential, but right now, it has a fairly limited movepool on the Physical side, despite all those awesome boosting moves, and the lack of a more powerful physical Fighting STAB outside of Sky Uppercut hampers it a bit, though not enough to make it useless. Right now, I'm in the middle when it comes to Kommo-o, and if Move Tutors do come back in the next game, hopefully, Kommo-o will get lucky and hit the jackpot...

Hey guys I know its a little unorthodox but I've been running a Physical AV set on Kommo-o. Dont jusdge as I am still fairly new to this

Kommo-o @ Assault Vest
Ability: BulletProof/Soundproof
Evs: 72Hp/252Atk/184Spe
Adamant Nature
-Poison Jab
-Sky Uppercut
-Dragon Claw
-Shadow Claw

You guys try out this set let me know what you think. The Speed Ev's are there to spped creep a few things, And with max atk there arent a lot of things that can comfortably take a hit from this thing. I figured with its naturally impressive defenses an AV with a minor investment In Hp will allow him to take a few hits. I mean it survied a high jump kick from Pheromosa. Hopefully later down the line, h will gain access to better fighting moves, as Sky uppercut (imo) is not really viable enough.

The way I see it, I think Kommo-o has great potential, and it's certainly not that bad, looking at that stat spread and access to great boosting moves. 4x weaknesses aside (which many pseudos have, save for Metagross), Kommo-o may not have Garchomp's speed or Salamence's power, but what it does have allows it to fit in teams that need a physical, special, or mixed attacker, and it can become a threat if it gets a boost or two off. The physical movepool, as of this writing, is quite shallow and needs a bit more pizazz, but the special movepool is decently solid, and 100 base Sp. Atk is a nice starting point for Choice Specs or Life Orb. Kommo-o needs more physical moves at his disposal, as the few he has, while useful, might not break the heartiest of walls. Like everyone said, Close Combat or Drain Punch would be nice jumping off points for Kommo-o, as one is very powerful, but drops your defenses, and the other is weaker than Sky Uppercut, but allows you to regain health and stay in longer. The elemental punches would also be nice, as it allows Kommo-o to deal with his other weaknesses, like rival Dragons such as Garchomp, or stray Flying types. Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch would also be viable options for dealing with Fairies. Heck, even Cross Chop and Superpower would help it, as the lack of a powerful (physical) Fighting type STAB outside of Sky Uppercut, which has decent power, but not enough to break those walls, and Mach Punch would also be useful as a priority STAB move. That being said, Kommo-o has potential, but right now, it has a fairly limited movepool on the Physical side, despite all those awesome boosting moves, and the lack of a more powerful physical Fighting STAB outside of Sky Uppercut hampers it a bit, though not enough to make it useless. Right now, I'm in the middle when it comes to Kommo-o, and if Move Tutors do come back in the next game, hopefully, Kommo-o will get lucky and hit the jackpot...
I do think that Kommo-o is designed to be very tanky while also hitting decently hard. Those defenses and abilities seem to scream tanky pokemon. I don't think its meant to have the raw power of a Garchomp. But it is a decent tank with pretty decent offensive moves.

The only issue is the lack of a strong or utility fighting move. Cross Chop, close combat, Drain punch, Mach punch heck even Superpower, storm throw, or Hammerarm would have been welcome. Until it gets any of those it will be a little lack luster, but still a very solid tanky pokemon that can hit decently hard with other attacks

Initially, I really loved the idea of this thing. It's awesome looking. A Dragon/Fighting Type. Balanced stats. Did I mention it's cool looking? As I started thinking about it more and more though, I suddenly realized, "Dragon/Fighting....... what a terrible idea." And then everything just kinda clicked into place. 4 times weakness to Fairy, it's middling movepool, Getting hard countered by so many different things. My friend and I, argued over a mixed attacking set for a good half hour. We were arguing over whether Clanging Scales or draco meteor would be better as the Special dragon move, completely missing the fact that mixed attacking Kommo-o would be terrible.

Imma hold my judgement of the thing until we get the inevitable Move Tutors. As of right now though, I wanna say, mid to high UU maybe.
yeah for the choice of changing scales or draco meteor i'd say, changing scales since u can spam it without a sp.atk drop, and if it gets it could be ou and yeah it will be high uu without move tutors

I'm going to be using this thing a lot. I've enjoyed the autotomize and specs sets. I don't think it's omg amazing atm, but I think it will get better as they give it more. Here's to hoping we get shell smash confirmation lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)