Metagame LC OM Megathread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add Steam Eruption, Thousand Arrows, Aeroblast, U-Turn, Foul Play and Light of Ruin to their respective types. Otherwise, looks good!

Heads up that I'm keeping the Normal move rule, and will consult with other users about a possible Baton Pass nerf/ban.

Add Steam Eruption, Thousand Arrows, Aeroblast, U-Turn, Foul Play and Light of Ruin to their respective types. Otherwise, looks good!

Heads up that I'm keeping the Normal move rule, and will consult with other users about a possible Baton Pass nerf/ban.
Steam Eruption, Thousand Arrows, and Light of Ruin are unable to be used in STABmons. I don't think Aeroblast is even worth using lol, Oblivion Wing and Hurricane are just better. Adding U-turn, but Foul Play is only not learned by Carvanha and Deino, which isn't enough to warrant adding lol.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
my thread was better TBH

no jk jk

Also Baton Pass chains are monster if you can get em set up right, even in vanilla LC. Tail Glow Shelmet/Venonat AND Quiver Dance Venonat are super scary. You guys probably know this already but seriously that can be terrifying.

The metas in this thread do not have to follow the corresponding metas to any extent (I encourage them not to, since the metas are so vastly different), so LC STABmons doesn't have to ban chatter by any means, but considering the nature of the move I would definitely consider it.

Yeah fuck chatter. no way we're keeping it lol

also iirc we can definitely use unreleased moves, keeping with the tour rules.

I'd like to talk a little about LC AAA and helpful resources that could help new players. Idk how useful a viability rankings is right now, as new sets are still being discovered and each ability could put a Pokemon in a different rank, plus prominent Pokemon are missing from the ranks. However, the mons/abilities in the op make a decent threatlist, and can help identify what to prepare for when making a team. Trash had a list of prominent abilities in LC AAA, but I can't find the piratepad so I'll list what I remember being good. It would be beneficial right now to get the best mons and abilities listed.
Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream, (Snow Warning ig) Air Lock, -ate abilities, Protean, Sheer Force, Guts, Magic Guard, Unburden, Sturdy, Mold Breaker, Unaware, Scrappy, Prankster, Regenerator, No Guard, type immunity abilities, Tough Claws, Intimidate, Defiant, Competitive, Magic Bounce, Download, Analytic, Trace, Filter, Tinted Lens, Illusion, Multiscale, Serene Grace, Sticky Hold, probably more but idr
Rock Head, Iron Fist, Reckless, Anger Point, Aroma Veil, Sweet Veil, Color Change, Cursed Body, Compound Eyes, Early Bird, Effect Spore, Flare Boost, Toxic Boost, Harvest, Rain Dish, Victory Star,etc
Mienfoo (Tinted Lens, Tough Claws), Foongus (Prankster), Drilbur (Refrigerate), Houndour (Pixilate), Cubone (Chlorophyll), Zigzagoon (Scrappy)

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
unfixable regarding your moves I can't overstate how helpful that will be. I have a few suggestions for it though.

Especially since rock looks a little bare, I'd say add Power Gem. It has decent base power and is a special rock move for all those special rock types (read: Omanyte).

Either Dual Chop or Outrage should be added to Dragon as physical options, since not every dragon is blessed enough to have options like that. Similarly Electric should include Volt Switch and (arguably) Nuzzle.

Belch is something I find a bit confusing to be honest. It's rather circumstantial and forces a berry on you, while also giving up some accuracy and the poison chance compared to Sludge Bomb. If there's some other meaning to it, feel free to elaborate. Similarly Venom Drench (though absolutely useful) seems a bit circumstantial, and if it's mentioned why not Venoshock or Hex?

Meteor Mash is pretty much entirely outclassed by Gear Grind, despite the latter slightly lower accuracy and loss of an attack boost chance.

Bullet Seed should be added to Grass type moves, possibly over Leaf Blade, as any hit beyond 2 does equal or greater damage, and breaks sturdy. The lack of Cotton Guard also makes me sad. Power Whip is possibly better than Wood Hammer, due to lack of recoil, though it comes at the cost of accuracy.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
glare in normal type moves
whirlwind in normal, could turn any mon into a decent phazer

crabhammer is the best physical water type move

electroweb might find a use?

aromatherapy for grass types

flying press for fighters is a very interesting move

venom drench is bad, i'd remove that

bonemerang has some uses

hyperspace fury if we allow it+the other moves that boo said

Great, I cannot wait to see LC Balanced Hackmons and STABmons!

Also, you might want to add Tail Slap in normal-type moves ( u know, multi hit galore ) and Acro seems questionable when Dragon Ascent exists.

EV

Banned deucer.
The metas in this thread do not have to follow the corresponding metas to any extent (I encourage them not to, since the metas are so vastly different)
Then it's no longer LC+the OM, it's an entirely new made-up metagame. If you want to mashup the two formats, I'd recommend you do try to follow the OM's ruleset as closely as possible. Unreleased moves aren't available for the same reason as unreleased Pokemon. This isn't Hackmons...

Then it's no longer LC+the OM, it's an entirely new made-up metagame. If you want to mashup the two formats, I'd recommend you do try to follow the OM's ruleset as closely as possible. Unreleased moves aren't available for the same reason as unreleased Pokemon. This isn't Hackmons...
sorry if I caused confusion, I meant that certain moves/abilities (-ate in hackmons, certain abilities in AAA, etc), depending on the meta, may be broken in regular STABmons/AAA/Monotype but not broken in LC STABmons/AAA/Monotype, and vice versa, and that if that is the case then the TLs and councils shouldn't be afraid to ban/unban. The metas should be followed to as close as possibe, you are correct.

This is the current banlist for LC STABmons:
Rules:

Normal Clause: You cannot use two normal types moves on a pokemon that does not learn them

Banned Pokemon: Gligar, Meditite, Misdreavus, Murkrow, Scyther, Sneasel, Swirlix, Tangela, Yanma

Banned Moves: Chatter

Please welcome the new council for LC monotype!
Sae Sae
inscribe
Anttya
Nineage

Still waiting on a list from boo836 and Melonz

My aim is to start looking for a TL for LC BH in about a week, until them have fun with the metas!

Edit: when people feel the useful moves and users list for LC STABmons is done, I'll add it into the OP. Thanks to all who are working on it, your effort is very appreciated!

I'm unsure why we are talking banning things aside from the standard rules/clauses in the games (like BP or specific moves). The point of these metagames is to be off-metagames based on the standard one. I don't think we should just be banning things that aren't blatant or whatever standard - or if they are obviously counter intuitive to the point of the metagame. Like the normal clause makes sense in STABmons and Archen in AAA. I don't think "too strong" is good enough without it being something that's disproportionally better. For example, Archen loses its shitty ability and change it which is disproportionate to every other mon which simply gets to change theirs without getting that added boost. In STABmons, Normal-type moves are just so immensely vast, the clause is practically necessary so as to not have a team of 6 BD+ExSpeed. These metagames are meant to be broken and crazy, just maybe not absurd like the above examples.

These aren't main metagames, I know, but we will be having minitours or random times in which these rules could carry over and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with just randomly picking councils based almost solely in interest and banning stuff.

Last edited:

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Anyone who does not at least try the Mono LC core of the mono gods Mantyke, Surskit, and Mudkip will be cursed by the mono gods forever, they are OP.
Js
:^)

Reactions: RZL
My concern isn't with following the rulesets to the letter. If we did, we'd obviously have a set that's not appropriate for LC. Moreover, the interest in this OM came from a specific tour that did allow such moves. I'm interested in sticking closer to the original format, rather than its namesake.

I'm unsure why we are talking banning things aside from the standard rules/clauses in the games (like BP or specific moves). The point of these metagames is to be off-metagames based on the standard one. I don't think we should just be banning things that aren't blatant or whatever standard - or if they are obviously counter intuitive to the point of the metagame. Like the normal clause makes sense in STABmons and Archen in AAA. I don't think "too strong" is good enough without it being something that's disproportionally better. For example, Archen loses its shitty ability and change it which is disproportionate to every other mon which simply gets to change theirs without getting that added boost. In STABmons, Normal-type moves are just so immensely vast, the clause is practically necessary so as to not have a team of 6 BD+ExSpeed. These metagames are meant to be broken and crazy, just maybe not absurd like the above examples.

These aren't main metagames, I know, but we will be having minitours or random times in which these rules could carry over and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with just randomly picking councils based almost solely in interest and banning stuff.
I agree. The only reason I'm inclined to ban Chatter is because it's essentially Swagger in a more offensive form. As much as I'm hated for abusing Swagger in metagames where it may be legal, I'm still gonna recognize that this coinflip shit is a crock. As far as BP goes, I'm only going to get rid of it if STABMons becomes ridiculous. No one wants to put up with Bellypass Aipom's shit.

If you would like to lead LC BH, please post

this includes forming a viability ranking, banning obviously broken/stupid stuff, and forming guides to help people get into the tier. To help with these things, you may choose a council.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I'd be willing to help out anybody who wants to lead LC BH with making stuff, although I shouldn't lead it. Helping is pretty much creating things like a guide or viability ranking.

Played BH for a looooong time way back when, I'd love to do it for LC :D! I'm in the LC / OM rooms if anyone ever wants to play LC STABmons or LC BH by the way :O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)