LC's SPL Coverage

approved by blarajan

Sorry if this is a bit messy at the moment; I just wanted to get something up before too many spl matches happened.

Basically this thread will cover everything related to LC in SPL. All matches, player records, and other important information will be in this post. If you think there is anything I should add/missing or outdated information, please let me know as it would be much appreciated.

blarajan vs RayJay
prem vs Treecko
CatcherAndTheRai vs dcae
Artemisa vs Heysup
Al_Alchemist vs Eo Ut Mortus

*only matches in LC will count towards the records.

Al_Alchemist: 4-0
blarajan: 4-0
Treecko: 1-0
Artemisa: 2-2
CatcherAndTheRai: 2-2
prem: 2-2
dcae: 2-2
Heysup: 2-2
RayJay: 1-2
PDC: 0-1
PttP: 0-1
Raichy: 0-1
Raseri: 0-2
Eo Ut Mortus: 0-3

Feel free to talk about the matches in this thread. Some good things to talk about are what you thought about each players' team, major turning points in the battle, decisions they could have made to make the match easier on them, or any insight you've learned from these battles (besides the obvious x user sucks or haxes well or smells funky).

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blara used my BJ murkrow set. Fkc to the u Corkscrew in all honesty tho, eo shoudlve won if sucker hadnt critted
huh, why are you taggin me?

My team analysis:

I find blara's team very typical of today's meta. Scraggy + Pawiard with knock off aiming to wear down each others checks for one of them to sweep (basically gligar+fighting types). I'm seeing these sorts of offensive cores (scrag+pawn, tirt+carvanha etc..) all the time against better opponents. A defensive backbone of Slowpoke+Foongus is also solid as fuck right now and walls so many things in the meta... when you have a meta with as much offensive pressure as this, it's always nice to have a defensive core to fall back on, if you lose momentum, and, with regenerator, slowpoke and foongus do this really well.

Eo's team is less typical, but still kinda cool, it's like a bulky stallish team (ofc, it's eo) designed to simply counter every possible set in the meta... it's a well-built team because it stacks up on defensive mons which can check similar things (3 fighting checks in gligar/poke/croagunk, 2 flying checks in archen/chinchou) so it's less prone to being worn down by the hyper offensive cores that blara is using. It's easily dismantled by Belly Drum Swirlix though which kinda wrecks all stallish teams, especially with knock off support (evio gligar and slowpoke can just about survive a hit at full health, but it's not hard to knock these off). It would also struggle to break through other defensive teams, as you can see he didn't really have anything to take on blara's slowpoke. I felt like he could've added toxic on a pokemon or two for this purpose... or just include LO meditite which can break down defensive cores and revenge swirlix, just to give him some kind of offensive presence.

Last edited:
I watched this and I'm pretty sure on turn 44 Blara could have just let Murkrow die to Archen and send in Scraggy to win the game. Gunk didn't have enough HP to take a +1 Ice Punch and VW didn't KO. Even if he tanks an Earthquake, he can heal it up with Drain Punch.

Shots fired

Last edited:

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
so as we bid farewell to yanma and tangela the fucking regen core is back. that battle was practically gen 5 shit bar bj krow and buffed knock off #freeyanma #freetangela #gotosleepbitch

rip fun meta.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so as we bid farewell to yanma and tangela the fucking regen core is back. that battle was practically gen 5 shit bar bj krow and buffed knock off #freeyanma #freetangela #gotosleepbitch

rip fun meta.
but regen core isnt even standard in gen 5 LOL. also this meta is fun idk that game looked like fun for me lol. and knock off buff makes regen core harder to use

Blara used my BJ murkrow set. Fkc to the u Corkscrew in all honesty tho, eo shoudlve won if sucker hadnt critted
well if the wow misses didnt happen it wouldve been much easier lol

Last edited:
that game was… roflol
While it did showcase prediction, blara used THREE dark-types on a team (i mean ik offensive synergy but three is a tad too much imo). Both were good teams and played quite well aside from the munchlax vs missy hax and dat pawniard sweep lol
Also no defog on that team? Murkrow got worn down so easily in the match and regen core, so imo defog or rapid spin was a must
ALSO SCARF CHINCHOU WITH HEAL BELL IS FUCKING LEGIT <3

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
that game was… roflol
While it did showcase prediction, blara used THREE dark-types on a team (i mean ik offensive synergy but three is a tad too much imo). Both were good teams and played quite well aside from the munchlax vs missy hax and dat pawniard sweep lol
Also no defog on that team? Murkrow got worn down so easily in the match and regen core, so imo defog or rapid spin was a must
ALSO SCARF CHINCHOU WITH HEAL BELL IS FUCKING LEGIT <3
Please explain how 3 dark types are bad, when you have as much pressure as them 3. Besides, Pawniard can take on fairies and krow can take on fighting types and bugs aren't really an issue, except Larvesta (who is easily worn down by repeated knock offs from Pawn and Scrag). It's such a fantastic offensive typing right now that steel doesn't resist it. Just saying 3 dark-types is bad is just a statement without anything backing it up. It's not designed to be a defensive core.

Running 3 dark-types is definitely justifiable by the fact that they get STAB on the best move in the game right now.

blara team: scraggy pawniard murkrow slowpoke missy foongus
eo team: gligar archen munchlax slowpoke croagunk chinchou

blara's team is a balanced team with 3 potential sweepers, along with one wallbreaker and a defensive Regenerator duo. using both scraggy and pawniard ensures maximum knock off abuse

eo's team is a stallish team, which manages to counter a huge portion of the metagame, although weak to some threats like belly drum swirlix and sd gligar

While this was overall an amazing battle (ruined by hax, sadly) I think blarajan made a slight misplay (correct me if i'm wrong, i find it hard to get my mind into battles i haven't played), on turn 13 by not using dragon dance again. Blarajan could have known it's scarf chinchou judging by Slowpoke's Psychic damage Of course, Eo could have used Volt Switch, but i don't see the reason why you would make a direct switch to Chinchou only to fire off a neutral Volt Switch, instead of making the direct switch (to croagunk). it was pretty obvious that Eo wanted to a) get off as much damage as possible with Hydro Pump or b) get off a heal bell. If Eo's chinchou used Hydro Pump, using dragon dance again wouldn't have made much difference, except croagunk taking more damage if blarajan decided to leave scraggy in. but eo used the unexpected heal bell, and using another dragon dance here would have really paid off.

obviously heal bell is uncommon on chinchou, but my point is that Blarajan had little to no risk using Dragon Dance again, i don't see why he didn't do it.

sorry if this post is messy, it's hard to explain shit

Three leaves you Fighting- and Bug-weak, making larvesta a problem (you mentioned that, i know). It basically forces you to run >1 fighting resists as they simply mess your team up. Idk, it just seems way too excessive seeing how said dark-types get similar coverage... Also, you stack up a fairy weakness... I wasn't referring to a defensive core at all? not sure how that comes into the argument.

rayjay faps to evioliteless slowpoke

i'll try to make a better analysis post tomorrow when i have the time

Edit@ below ( don't think this deserves a separate post)

Slowpoke never got knocked off

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
Team Analysis:

Catcher:
As we all know regencore trio is solid and Archen and Magnemite can cover the weaknesses they possess really nicely. The game plan here seems to be last as long as possible, Knock Shit off with Mienfoo and Archen, then sweep with BD swirlix, which usally handles any defensive mons that the 5 others can't get through. Though what he really needed was Stealth Rock! Ray Jay clearly saw the threat of BD Swirlix and knew his only way to beat it was to not let Tirtouga's sturdy be broken and it paid off. Since he was carrying mons that threaten Tirtouga, he didn't even have a way of luring it out to break Sturdy, which is a shame.

Ray Jay:
Ray Jay's team doesn't have a too dissimilar structure to Catcher's with Bulky mons like Mienfoo, Ponyta, Porygon and Gligar having good defensive synergy and covering a lot of threats, preparing for a late game set-up sweeper; in this instance, Tirtouga. The difference here though, is Pawniard. Thanks to a secondary offensive mon Ray Jay had little trouble knocking off most of Catcher's team which allowed Tirtouga to KO all of Catcher's Regenmons. The most important play here was sacking his Gligar to remove Magnemite's Berry Juice, which opened up a simple sweep for Tirtouga once the time was right and Foo/Slowpoke/Foong were evioliteless.

Team Analysis:

Catcher:
Though what he really needed was Stealth Rock!
[...]
If his core is regencore with more and more status moves, you have to need another "damage" to rely upon like SR, opening the way on BD Swirlix too. Sincerely, I thought to see some "openly" games in SPL. Perhaps the bet at stake is too high for that.

Last edited:
Corkscrew already explained the teams really well, so i'm gonna skip that

This battle literally took hours, and as such you can expect mistakes to be made. Ray Jay had about 5 oppurtunities to kill Mienfoo early on, which would have allowed Pawniard to put much more pressure on Catcher's team, or even completely sweep it. Instead, he kept on trying to knock off, while it was clear that Catcher wasn't planning on losing his eviolite. I don't think the gligar vs magnemite play was a bad play, considering Catcher already outpredicted Ray Jay twice (first volt switch, then thunderbolt), and if that thing was Knocked Off, Tirtouga would have a much easier time sweeping. Although Gligar would've been useful in order to Knock Off Slowpoke, this wasn't a bad play per se

ray jay using morning sun as swirlix used belly drum wasn't a bad play, gtfo

what i'm mostly wondering about is if Catcher ran Thief on Swirlix. cause if he did, we are witnessing a 100% choke, as Catcher could have used it the turn Tirtouga set up, steal tirt's berry juice, and since Swirlix was at exactly 50% hp, it would consume it immediately, which means Aqua Jet would not be able to KO while Swirlix would still be faster (so swirlix would have swept). I'm really hoping Catcher ran something like Flamethrower....

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
RE: Heysup v. Raseri

You can stop giving catcher flack for not running thief on Belly Drum Swirlix now

Gettin real tired of your shit Munchlax......
Evading burns n shit

Again, i will post a more useful reply tomorrow when i have time

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
fuk regen cores thats what i like to see straight clean 6-0 no questions asked with swag innovation. 10/10 woyld watch again.

Rowan

The professor?
Seems like Belly Drum Swirlix is finally being recognised as a top tier threat (much better than that CM bullshit).

Both teams were more Bulky Offense as opposed to other teams we've seen.

Heysup had a strong defensive core in Amaura/Munchlax/Gligar which Raseri had no way of breaking through really, besides possibly Timburr who just took a shit tonne of damage from Nature Power... Infact Timburr does have a good match-up vs. this team which is probably why Swirlix is the ideal set up sweeper, since it can set-up all day vs. it. Yet what sets this 'defensive' core apart from others (like Regenerator) is that all 3 Pokemon are powerful and provide instant Offensive pressure as well. Add these 3 to Misdreavus and Meditite and you have a strong Bulky Offense team that relies on good synergy to provide easy switches between all Pokemon and lots of opportunity for hitting hard.

I guess Raseri's team was also a similar style with Porygon, Gligar, Timburr and Misdreavus all having decent synergy and offensive presence. Murkrow provides the role of wall-breaker and I guess Mantyke was a Swift Swim sweeper? I think the real weakness in this team was actually Amaura. Amaura completely shut down Murkrow so it couldn't break down a defensive core which Raseri really needed to stand any chance in the game. The team didn't have a solid switch-in to it at all. I can imagine Archen would also be annoying for the team for the same reason. And yeah, pretty Swirlix weak which kinda sucked for him.

Aromatherapy Swirlix is cool, though Substitute would've done exactly the same thing. I guess Arometherapy removes the prediction element from it, since it doesn't matter if they TWave or Attack, whilst you have to predict what they're gonna do with Sub.

Rowan

The professor?
I think if Arte sacked Mienfoo on turn 34 and kept meditite alive instead then he probably would have won. The situation would be exactly the same but with Meditite>Mienfoo in the end game, allowing him to FO + BP for the win.

also Prem's team contained, Teshiido, Spritzee, Carvanhe, Itemless BP Gligar and Scraggy... who would've thought it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)