Little Green Moster, the Shaymin Sweep

Hello everyione, I have yet another RMT here to promote some creative (yet plausible) battling. However, being that I suck, I have had little success. This team was orriginally built to get a shaymin sweep. I failed epicly, but shaymin wasn't lost, he just wasn't ment to sweep teams. Shaymin is now a very important part of my core.

So, for some cliches, here is the useless images of my team.

And here is what the team now is due to all those smart people who know how to play good:

In the ladders, I play this team offensively. The goal was to keep momentum moving and get shaymin in to pull of a growth, but I had to face a difficult and hard-to-overcome fact. Shaymin is slow. I tried to ammend this with things like Thunderwave Jirachi, but this wasn't enough as my opponents tend to not send like half there team out till late game. I then changed up the team and shaymin's set. It worked out better but I still can't get past 1300.

Empoleon @ Focus Sash
Timid-252 Spe/252 Sp.Atk/4 HP
Ability-Torrent
-Stealth Rock
-Hydro Pump
-Aqua Jet
-Ice Beam

Empoleon is much better for this team than any old Froslass. Thanks Uncommon Maddness for the suggestion. I would have never thought of this by myself. Stealth Rock is critical for this team. It hits bug, ice, fire, and flying for big damage (usually), all of which give my shaymin problems. Empoleons Hydro Pump gives me absolutely sick power and seriously dents just about anything not named blissey (who I lawl at with Machamp). Empoleon can easily take out leads like heatran, Metagross, and suicide leads not named Infernape. Other Empoleon leads would be a problem, but I imagine they would have similar problems unless they opted for grass knot but I suppose I could just switch to shaymin then.

Rotom @ Leftovers
Bold-252 HP/88 Spe/168 Def
Ability-Levitate
-Overheat
-Will-o-Wisp
-Discharge
-Shadow Ball

Rotom is a much improved version of my Jirachi. I've used this set before. We all have. Everyone knows how well it works. Rotom is probably behind Slobrow as THE best fighting check in the game (in my opinion at least). But Rotom has WoW and immunities so I'm using it instead. Rotom provides a great answer to TTar, Non-Guts Machamp (which is pretty much all of them), Lucarios without Crunch, and any slower physical threat. This thing even took a +1 waterfall from a Kindra in the rain before a burn. Also, now that I'm focusing less on sweeping with shaymin and more on wearing things down enough for a Starmie sweep I don't have to waste a spot for paralysis spreading. Rotom is a great immunity guy that my team was lacking since I was always short of things to switch into. Now that my team has better typing thanks to this guy and heatran, I am actually winning several of my battles. Will-o-Wisp is especially helpful for some reason I can't explain. Rotom has definately impressed me.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Hasty-252 Atk/208 Spe/48 Sp.Atk
Ability-Sand Stream
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Superpower
-Fire Blast

This is your average Bait Tar. With Choice items on the rise for Tyranitars these days, it seemed like a perfect fit, since I don't particularly want a choice item. Tyranitar can easily take care of things like Celebi, Starmie (while I'm in good health), Blissey, and then decieve the opponent into thinking I'm choiced. If they send in something like Breloom or a Blissey to stall out pursuit, that gets screwed over too. The analysis said it could take out scizor, but I doubt it. I am not sure if this is the correct set though, so I will be listening to suggestions as always.
http://th05.deviantart.com/fs19/300W/i/2007/304/4/b/Tyranitar_by_Dragon_Titan.jpg

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Modest 252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Ability-Natural Cure
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot

Starmie is just an awsome poke. Its so good, its one of the only pokemon to be non stop OU for friggen four generations (which is all of them). Normally Latias would be the one with this set, but alas she is now Uber. Starmie does the job just as well though and with choice scarf it can outspeed +1 Salamence even with its Modest nature. Not only does it handle mence but also, weakened Metagrosses, Scizors, Swaperts, Flygons, Vaporeons, Weakened Kingdras, Weakened Tyranitars (haha the scarf ones think they're faster haha) and basically anything below 33% health except for blissy who I can just put machamp out on. I am to relient on Starmie though. Sometimes I get careless and lose it, then a gyarados sweeps me 5 turns later. *Sigh* Starmie is prolly my MVP and as of late, kind of my sweeper so it doesn't need changing at all most likely.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Naive-252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Ability-Flash Fire
-Substitute
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Explosion

As opposed to a traditional Sub-Tran, which I used to run, it was pointed out that I have only one reliable Blissey killer. So I now have an exploding Subtran. I lose some coverage but Shaymin has rediculously powerful Grass Type attacks anywho. The Rest of this heatran is fairly simple. Bring Heatran into something that can't hurt it, Sub on the switch and fire off attacks until you need to swtich. Its a great check for things like Skarmory (which in all honesty I don't really need) and unscarfed Magnezones (as well as scarfed ones if Heatran is healthy), the ever annoying Jirachi and is great for taking out things like Crocune and Blissey. It also pairs great with shaymin, as it does most grass types. Heatran is my only steel type as well (not counting my suicide lead), so its handy for mence, but it can't a whole lot back since I don't run HP Ice. I'm still pretty sure Life Orb and Fire Blast together would do OK damage.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Timid-32 HP/252 Sp.Atk/224 Spe
Ability-Natural Cure
-Rest
-Leech Seed
-Seed Flare
-Hidden Power Ice

I orriginally had a growth shaymin here. It worked only once (it took out four peoples in a row). As impressive as that one sweep was, that was luck of speed (no one was paralysed). I have opted out of an official shaymin sweep and now use shaymin as a core team member. Shaymin Heatran and Starmie form the classic fire, water, grass core that works out so well. Shaymin still gives me ridiculous power. What base 120 STAB move doesn't? The special defense drop only worsens this, but I never count on it happening, its just a nifty little bonus, and since my entire core is special, I can use this to great effect. Shaymin is also the perfect answer to Crocune. After a Calm Mind, Surf still only does about 20% and it can't stay in because Seed Flare will kill it, and I can leech seed the switch. When I get worn out, I use rest and switch. Then shaymin can come back for more. :D

Team Graveyard

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Timid-252 Spe/252 Sp.Atk
Ability-Snow Cloak
-Spikes
-Destiny Bond
-Ice Beam
-Ice Shard

Froslass is a tried and true lead. It always gets up a layer of spikes or kills the aerodactyl that taunted it. I have no clue why I chose spikes, actually. I just wanted thing to take a ton of damage as they switched in. I seldom get up more than two layers though and thats not the quarter of health I wanted to be taking up. Destiny Bond is great though. Its gotten me out of lots of situations. My Frosslass even took out a metagross with an Ice Beam/Ice Shard combo then killed the thing that came into revenge it (obviously it was not a full health metagross). Still, I have no clue if I should keep froslass, or switch to another kind of entry hazard.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive-252 Atk/192 Spe/64 Sp.Atk
Ability-Blaze (obviously)
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-Mach Punch
-U-turn

Sorry about the ginormous picture, but it looked really cool. Yes, its physically based Mixape. A wall breaker of sorts, but maybe I should switch to a wall breaker that can handle Crocune but I just love taking those guys on with Shaymin. Infernape is also a great Dragon lure who are like, "lol I'm going to kill you." Then I'm like "Lawl, Starmie." Then they're like, "lol, Dragon Dance I'm faster." Then I'm like, "Lawl, no your not, scarf." Ahh good times. Infernape is hard pressed to OHKO things though. Most of the time I find him agains a full health person, who goes down to like 23% after I attack and then he kills me. I don't know what to do here. I orriginally put infernape here for synergy with shaymin as they resist alot of eachothers weaknesses, but infernape is so frail its almost like it doesn't matter. Infernape is great, I just am not using it to its full potential.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Jolly-164 HP/168 Atk/176 Spe
Ability-Serene Grace
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Iron Head
-Fire Punch

Jirachi was orignally put on my team to spread paralasys, but I don't really use it all that much. This team slot is basically an epic fail. I was wondering if I should try body slam instead. Jirachi's only use on this team so far is resistance and I might as well get a scizor or metagross to do that crap. But shaymin needs to be fast and without things like thunder wave it just isn't. I need serious help here. I know my team needs a steel type, I just don't know what.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Adamant-252 HP/128 Atk/128 Sp.Def
Ability-Guts
-Bulk Up
-Low Kick
-Payback
-Stone Edge

What?! Guts Machamp?! You can't tell me you don't see how this would be useful though. C'mon, everyone loves to status a machamp. In fact I think like mor than 40% run lum berry as their item. Well, now I have a poke that can lure out statusers (particularly Rotom) and kill them with the appropriate move or bulk up (if they are physical) and then kill them with the appropriate move. Most importantly they never even see it coming. However, I do have one problem, I have not been statused yet...I was absolutely disgusted. Every time I use that fancy pants No Guard Machamp I get status out the wazoo. Now its like machamp is a status repelant. Sigh. I am also debating on whether I should switch him over to the no guard set.

First of all I really don't see the point in using Froslass as a Lead. If you really want a Shaymin sweep, stealth rock is the entry hazard you should really have as it rapes flying,ice,fire and bug types pokes (which are super-effective against grass). This said I would replace Froslass for an Empoleon lead which is able to deal with every top lead of the metagame and lay down SR later in the game. I would also reccomend you to try a defensive Rotom-A set instead of Jirachi because of it's awesome type coverage and ability to spread double status with Discharge and Will-O-Wisp which will improve the survivability of Shaymin for the late game sweep.

Thanks for the help. It worked wonders. I also found and added a Subtran on my own and used it with great success (at least more than infernape).

For your empoleon lead, run shuca berry and enough def evs to not be ohko'd by fake out/close combat from infernape. This greatly improves your effectiveness vs. aerodactyl as well, and you'll be switching out of machamp. I'm sorry, I don't have the exact spread I run on me, but infernape is a consistant top 10 lead and earthquake on swampert and metagross (and earth power on heatran) is also very common, and aside from machamp and thunderbolters and other obvious stuff you should switch out of, this set lead really improves empoleons performance.

I think that you're better off with cross chop on machamp over low kick. I can't imagine what's heavy enough in OU to have more damage than Cross chop that isn't hit super effective. True, there's a slight chance of missing, but I take it you don't want the defense drops, as your running bulk up, which would be why you're trying to avoid close combat like the plague.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not a full rate per se, but what do you do if Machamp goes down and you come up against a Blissey? Cause aside from Leech Seed on Shaymin most of your team struggles against it as a defensive pivot.

shaymin only shines in suspect, where salamence isn't there. I hope you're playing suspect, else you'll never really go anywhere with shaymin

Salamence will normally dragon dance, which means HP Ice will kill it. If it attacks, shaymin will die and I'll send out Starmie, and even if it should get a dragon dance and kill shaymin, Starmie still outspeeds and OHKOs it. As for the blissey thing, I don't really know, I've never lost Machamp before blissey died. But I haven't really seen any except for a few and I won those matches. Do you think I should change up my heatran set to include explosion? Also I lost epicly to a Rain Dance team...

@ Lucien- As I said I have given up on using shaymin as a sweeper, Don't tell me it isn't a good pokemon though. It has great stats and an excellent ability as well as seed flare. Shaymin will remain on this team FOREVER MuAHAHAHAHAHA.

Salamence will normally dragon dance, which means HP Ice will kill it. If it attacks, shaymin will die and I'll send out Starmie. As for the blissey thing, I don't really know, I've never lost Machamp before blissey died. But I haven't really seen any except for a few and I won those matches. Do you think I should change up my heatran set to include explosion? Also I lost epicly to a Rain Dance team...
I would place it over Hidden Power Grass because you have Shaymin to switch in on Swampert, where it can get a free Leech Seed off on the switch in. Or you could just attack, lol. But because you are Sub it would be an unexpected Explosion so if Blissey switched in to wall Heatran when you had lost Machamp, you could simply explode on it. I'd at least test it but I'm not an expert player or rater so you can't trust me fully.

I like it! I'll do that right away Mr. Interval!

Does anyone think I should put a different fighting type over Machamp? or a different Machamp set?

I always run Explosion on my Sub-Tran as it is able to OHKO a lot of pokémons that could otherwise counter him and set up (Crocune and Blissey just to name a few), It is far more useful than HP Grass, also because you have no problem with Bulky waters (thanks to Shaymin). Looking again at your team I think that you could switch your Machamp set to one with No Guard:
The Rest-Talker if you want to keep its durability or the Substitute set (both "immune" to status aliment).

P.s.: if you REALLY have a lot of problems with "weather based" teams you may replace Machamp with Tyranitar, keeping the strong offensive power and the fighting type move (Superpower) while maintaining the coverage (Rock+Dark).

HAHA keep the suggestions comming Uncommon Madness, so far all of them have been terrific. But I don't know what Tyrantar to use. Scarf Tar wasn't really working out.

One suggestion for the Empoleon lead: change the EV spread to 252 Sp. Atk/100 Speed/152 HP, give it a Chople Berry [so it can beat Infernape] and give it a Modest nature. This provides you with all the Speed you really need and helps you beat Metagross, as you set up Stealth Rocks, you're able to live an Earthquake AND the subsequent Bullet Punch, and 87% of the time KO back with a Torrent-boosted Hydro Pump. If that doesn't kill, you can Aqua Jet to finish it off. Also Grass Knot > Ice Beam on Empoleon, to absolutely destroy Swampert and not give it a chance to set up Stealth Rocks of its own.

Otherwise, solid team.

november, my comment wasn't saying shaymin was bad and needed to be replaced, I only said that that becuase it's a FACT. Mence shoves Shaymin in the mud and only is good in Suspect becuase mence isn't there. I'm suprised no one else has said anything about it. I think the reason sweeper shaymin didn't work was because you weren't on Suspect.

Try Growth Shaymin on suspect. You'll see I'm right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)