(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

One of the things that infuriates me the most in Sun/moon is the pokemon cries in the routes. they were there in the past generations, but it was like what, one cry for every 1-2 minutes? okay. But now you have them SCREAMING all the fucking time. Not only that, they also continue to scream even during cutscenes. You have a dramatic cutscene where they cut the music for added effect? Too bad, here's a thousand screaming-worms chorus for you.

Also, it doesn't matter how close or far you are from the grass. they will be there, screaming.
To be fair, even in silence it does help for atmosphere. I always find no music to be a bit more effective with natural sound effects in the background.

... even so, GF:

If you're playing Moon, Lunatone appears in Vast Poni Canyon; but when you use Lunala/Solgaleo to go to the alternate world, Solrock is there instead. And vice versa for Sun. Which leads me into another little thing that's a little annoying - the alternate world. I'm surprised they done nothing with this concept beyond time changes and Cosmog; you'd have thought there'd be a lot more to an alternate world. Not asking to give us, like, the other game's version exclusives or anything, but... the whole thing just seems so underutilised.
One thing the alternate world does is allow you to do time of day evolutions and collect Zygarde cells (and other time specific events) at anytime. That being said having a whole world with no differences at all is a bit of a waste.

What's with the increasing lower amount of Bag tabs we are getting with each generation?

The Generic Items tab is way too big now.

At the very least there should be a Ball tab (just like in earlier gens), a Mega Stone tag (just like we have a Z-Crystal tab) and a Battle Items tab (like Gen IV). This way, the Generic Items tab would only have Held Items, Evolutionary Stones, Vendor Trash and Miscellaneous Items.

And if that's not possible, have the bag sort automatically whenever a new item is added...

There are also issues in Rotom (a shame because I would have liked to see a Pokedex entry shilling itself) and Charizard, both prominent in the region, yet not in the Alola Pokedex.

(does Sharpedo have this issue as well? I didn't encounter any Carvanha)
Sharpedo is a rare fishing Pokemon on the final island, so it's at least there.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's Sun and Moon. We have Sun and Moon Pokemon, Solrock and Lunatone. I had hoped that they might be version exclusives this gen, perhaps complete with Mega Evolutions. It would fit perfectly, right?

Well, the pair did get a buff of some sort, each receiving +20 to their base HP this gen. But the Sun and Moon Pokemon, who would seem to be perfect thematic fits for the games Sun and Moon...

...aren't even in the Alola Dex.
What's even stranger is that there's an event in the desert area which requires a Lunatone. But there is a video of players who hacked a Lunatone on their team and.... it's weird.

The old man is revealed to be an alien, but not just any alien. He's the alien that gave the bonding powers to the old guys who gave their power to Mr. Bonding.

Well, this is a little thing. I learnt that Kahuna frequents their island's restaurant where player can eat and get Heart Scale for it. I tried finding the first island's restaurant and failed. Turns out Hala doesn't have any favourite eating place. Sighs, kinda liked the interaction with other Kahuna, and especially that Hala is one of first guys a player gets to know well, being Hau's grandpa and things....

It's kind of weird that the Oddish line isn't in S/M. You know, the line that contains the hula dancing flower.
tfw Bellossom is just Vileplume Alola form

But yeah, it bugs me that Bellossom, Lunatone and Solrock aren't in the game. You'd think those would have been a no-brainer - hell, with Lunatone and Solrock you could do this awesome thing where
Add that in second island's major city's tourist bureau, just near the Name Rater, there is a photo booth featuring dancing Bellosom and a Hawaiian girl. Just what were they thinking?

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Another tiny one for Sun/Moon:

Whenever you reach a roadblock, and somebody stops you to say variations of "you can't proceed past this point". In all earlier games, the player character turned around and walked a few steps back. In Sun and Moon, however, the screen fades to black, and fades back to show the player standing a few steps away.

Why the need for the fade-out and teleport? Why not just turn the player around like before?

Whenever you reach a roadblock, and somebody stops you to say variations of "you can't proceed past this point". In all earlier games, the player character turned around and walked a few steps back. In Sun and Moon, however, the screen fades to black, and fades back to show the player standing a few steps away.

Why the need for the fade-out and teleport? Why not just turn the player around like before?
it's too taxing for the hardware to animate the player turning and walking back

Why is the only surefire way to get a bottle cap (outside of the one you get from Mina) to trade 30 SHARDS? That's... I know they're supposed to be valuable but that's a bit too much, surely. Half of that should easily suffice, especially when the only way to get them is a few shards you have to dedicate your Pelago to at a minimum of 12 hours each. Uuuuuugh.
I guess it shouldn't matter too much since this game's training options are so amazing I'll never get anything to Level 100. Why would you introduce a mechanic like this that sounds so amazing but realistically no-one can ever reach due to the game's own inane restrictions?

Why is the only surefire way to get a bottle cap (outside of the one you get from Mina) to trade 30 SHARDS? That's... I know they're supposed to be valuable but that's a bit too much, surely. Half of that should easily suffice, especially when the only way to get them is a few shards you have to dedicate your Pelago to at a minimum of 12 hours each. Uuuuuugh.
I guess it shouldn't matter too much since this game's training options are so amazing I'll never get anything to Level 100. Why would you introduce a mechanic like this that sounds so amazing but realistically no-one can ever reach due to the game's own inane restrictions?
30 wins in Super Battles in the Battle Tree gives you a Bottle Cap (But only after you lose).

To be fair, little more time spending in Festival Plaza made my Lunaala just 2 levels left to 100 with the restaurants. But I get that now Lv100 is a very difficult thing or something that tests patience (restaurant meals are limited per day). I'm guessing now their plan is to make Lv100 and access to Hyper Training a difficult feat, let alone using it, that breeding perfect 'mon seems still more viable, since officials competitive grounds usually sets them to Lv50 anyway. Will have to get hands dirty first to be able to get this.

... nevermind how difficult it is to get that red thread. I was annoyed by how the fans of ORAS Contest often offers it, and now I'm also annoyed at how rare it is in Alola. I'll have to either slave my way to 48 BP or find someone with Pickup, nevermind leveling it up first. Now entering the competitive ground is much more difficult, maybe because it was way too easy in ORAS (Hordes (And Super Training when needed)+Secret Base+breeding implements=instant team)....

I'm afraid the first competitive ready Pokemon I have is Lillie's Lunaala now. I don't know if I even dare to try building breeding implements....

I'm guessing it is because SunMoon doesn't have 'tiles' anymore that it is more difficult to do that, but I'm also... even more annoyed by how the screen fading is slooooow. I didn't remember my X or AS had slow transition like this actually.

Last edited:
Honestly, with all the BS going on, I'm waiting until Pokemon Bank compatibility to come out before I start my competitive breeding and raising. Hopefully, we can still transfer BP to these games and since I haven't redeemed any BP in months, I hopefully should have a huge stack of it waiting for me come January allowing me to just buy everything I need. Or, at the very least, I'll have access to competitive mons so I can actually GAIN that BP easily.

Honestly, with all the BS going on, I'm waiting until Pokemon Bank compatibility to come out before I start my competitive breeding and raising. Hopefully, we can still transfer BP to these games and since I haven't redeemed any BP in months, I hopefully should have a huge stack of it waiting for me come January allowing me to just buy everything I need. Or, at the very least, I'll have access to competitive mons so I can actually GAIN that BP easily.
Huh, I thought I was the only one doing that.
Even then... 2,600BP and half of it'll be spent on Mega Stones. Ugh.

Huh, I thought I was the only one doing that.
Even then... 2,600BP and half of it'll be spent on Mega Stones. Ugh.
At least, unless you stupidly trade them, you won't have to buy them again.

That reminds me. I should probably buy a second Destiny Knot for just that situation.

Is that a one per day thing or only the first time you get 30 wins?
Iirc it's once per day everytime you hit 30+ and lose.

Surprisingly, there isn't much that I find annoying in SM. If there's one thing that truly annoys me is how male's clothing options are basically reduced to T-Shirts or Tank-Tops and Shorts or Capris. And don't even get me started on shoes, where the hell are the flip-flops and sandals? I thought XY's selection was scarce, but compared to SM it was truly a bountiful harvest.

Everything in the bag is marked as new when it is in fact not new
Worse - the bag not sorting automatically once you pick up a new item.

More than once I got scared that I could have tossed or transferred my Destiny Knot because I couldn't find among the items that start with an L (I'm playing in spanish), only to find it at the end of the item list.

Having it sort automatically would be just as inconvenient in a different way. That it doesn't often makes it easier to get to newly received items, and it takes barely any effort to get the list to sort again.

And it doesn't mark old items as new. It probably marks new copies of old items as new, but that's reasonable. Ideally there would be setting options for all of this stuff.

Worse - the bag not sorting automatically once you pick up a new item.

More than once I got scared that I could have tossed or transferred my Destiny Knot because I couldn't find among the items that start with an L (I'm playing in spanish), only to find it at the end of the item list.
you can easily put destiny knot in the extra pocket, it will be redirected there when it returns to the bag

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)