Litwick (Analysis) [QC: 0/2]

LITWICK!

[QC: 0/2]
[GP: 0/2]

[Overview]

<p> Litwick is sort of an odd-ball in LC. Its unique typing and great stats for tanking makes it stand out. Ghost Type makes Litwick a great check to powerful Psychic Pokemon like Abra and Meditite. However, its ghost typing makes it an easy meal for Scraggy or ghost types stronger than Litwick such as Golett. Litwick is a highly underrated but useful LC Pokemon that just needs some love. </p>

[Set]
name: Candle of Substitutes
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Energy Ball / HP Ground
move 4: Psychic / Shadow Ball
item: Eviolite / Oran Berry
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Bold
EVs: 40 HP / 76 Def / 236 SpA / 156 SpD

[Set Comments]
<p> This is Litwick's bread and butter! Just send Litwick in on one of his 3 immunities, and set up a Substitute on the switch! The rest of the moves are STAB and coverage, but I'll go in depth about the reasoning. First of all, Fire Blast is chosen over Flamethrower because with a special attack stat of slightly above average, you need as much power as you can get. In addition, there is no risk, as a Substitute will take the hit and allow you to keep on truckin'. Shadow Ball allows you to hit Psychic Types and other ghosts--hard. The last moveslot is of your preference. You can go with Hidden Power Fighting to take care of pesky Scraggies, or Energy Ball to take out annoying Water Types who hamper Litwick greatly. Psychic is another choice, and it deals with all fighting types--excluding Scrafty of course.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Ferrroseed makes a great partner, resisting multiple SE attacks on Litwick, and setting up Spikes for an extra KO. Also, Litwick does great in the sun, so Cottonee or Munchlax can go great as a partner. However, if you want a offensive partner, go with Clamperl to take down those Special walls. If you want to use it, Eviolite is a good option as an item, giving it the bulk to withstand a hit and retain a substitute. If you hate hax and all luck aspects of Pokemon, Flamethrower is a good option over Fire Blast, as shown in the moveset. You could run Calm Mind over a coverage move to give Litwick more firepower and bulk, but the coverage move should generally stay since Litwick needs it not to be walled easily.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Hex and Will-o-Wisp offer a great combo that's stronger than Shadow Ball and cripples threatening physical attackers. Trick Room is a very viable playstyle, and if you want to create a Trick Room team, Litwick can pull off a Trick Room set with flare. Clear Smog can be useful at times against sweepers that are causing your team trouble, but you should save moves like that for gimmick sets. You could utilize a Choice Scarf on an all out attacking set, which can be done thanks to Litwick's great movepool, but it only reaches 18 speed, which doesn't outspeed anything really notable. Litwick is also outclassed as a scarfer due to being exceptionally slow and weak to pursuit. Also, Taunt can work out nicely in some cases, but Litwick is too slow to use it to any effect. Memento CAN be useful, but again, Litwick's speed hampers it greatly. Pain Split can work as a great combo with Substitute, but Litwick isn't bulky enough for that. Flame Charge is an option, but all it really is for Litwick is a neutered Agility, as Litwick's attack stat is useless.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p> Basically anything with high Special Defense can easily wall Litwick, such as Munchlax or Lickitung. Bulky Waters, Mantyke, can tear through Litwick if they outspeed, and if they don't, they can take a hit or two. Munchlax is the biggest problem for Litwick as Thick Fat makes it resistant or immune to every attack, and Munchlax can hit hard back. Also, it's a slow Pokemon and is very easy to kill without a Substitute up. Also, Houndour can switch in easily and pursuit it on the switch. Also, multi-hit moves like Rock Blast break Litwicks sub and most likely kill it too.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Shadow Tag is an amazing ability bestowed to only a few Pokemon, and Litwick is one of them. Trapping a Pokemon and preventing switches can really gain momentum by singling out Pokemon and making a 4-2 situation temporarily one on one. A scarf set with this ability can be devastating for the other team.</p>

And that concludes my first LC analysis!

I think you're overhyping it. Litwick is a meh pokemon, especially defensively, with meh stats and good typing, but also a SR weakness, which you should mention.

mention scarf set only reaches 18 speed, which is bad

also, mention litwick is outclassed as a scarfer due to pursuit weakness and low speed

mention Flame Charge, as you can boost your speed without locking yourself in, and it lets you run LO for the power boost.

Energy Ball/HP Ground should be the third slot. STAB Fire Blasts hits equally as hard as SE psychic, and SE HP Fighting is 40 bp lower than a STAB Fire Blast. Energy Ball hits waters that resist fire, and HP Ground hits other Fire-types.

Emphasize in counters it's pitifully slow, so without a sub, it's easy to revenge

Munchlax laughs at it with Thick Fat.

Mantyke walls it.

Lickitung walls it.

(the above are neutered by Toxic, which you should mention)

Houndour switches in on anything but SE Hidden Power and Dark Pulses/Pursuits/Sucker Punches

Other water-types, like Chinchou or Carvanha, kill it too.

SE Rock Blast from Shellder or, um, Dwebble or Roggenrola or something, breaks your sub and probably kills too.

Pain Split is an option, although it's not bulky enough, you can sub down to low HP and Pain Split to try and weaken stuff like Munchlax or something.

And Taunt, although it's too slow for that. Ditto Memento.

Ferroseed is a good partner, resisting Water, Rock, Dark, and Ghost, as well as setting up Spikes to get KOs with. Clamperl is a good offensive partner, and gets rid of special walls. Shellder too, the latter point to a lesser extent. Timburr rips Dark-types to pieces, as does Scraggy. And mention Sunny Day supporters like Cottonee or Munchlax.

Be wayyyyy more general in the counter section. It's almost easier to list what doesn't counter it..(don't actually do this).

Just say a trait that defeats Litwick, and provide some examples. Such as: "Pokemon with high Special Defense such as Lickitung and Munchlax are nearly impossible for Litwick to take out." Make sure to include everything that can switch in on a predicted move, and Pokemon that can revenge kill it.

yeah, I'm having second thoughts after an irc chat.

Defensive Litwick, seriously, sucks. There is literally no reason why you would use it over Pururiru, who gets HP Fire for Ferroseed and Snover (the only grass-types in LC) and dies to Electric-types just about as fast as Litwick (especially since Chinchou is like the only electric in LC). Litwick had a niche in resisting the grass/fire/poison coverage of chlorophyll sweepers, as well as being immune to STAB Drought Fire Blasts, but Drought's gone, so that's neither here nor there. Pururiru has Recover, two great abilities, better typing (with no SR weak), better stats, better movepool, and is generally better in every single way on a defensive set.

I'd put a defensive set in OC, as it's still an ok option if you REALLY REALLY need a spinblocker that scares away Ferroseed.

Instead, I'd like to see a TR set. Litwick has a respectable 65 SpA, outspeeds everything in TR, is immune to lots of priority and resists Bullet Punch, and STAB LO Fire Blast hits like a truck. It only misses out on three pokemon with its STABs (or so I think), Munchlax, Carvanha, and Houndour, who are all hit by Hidden Power Fighting. The set would be max hp/spa (196/240, quiet, fire blast/hp fighting/shadow ball/tr, LO, 31/31/30/30/30/2 ivs for hp fighting, since Litwick misses out on 19 hp.

TR teammates include Clamperl and Cubone, who hit hard and have good synergy with Litwick, and defensively, Exeggcute, Slowpoke, and Bronzor.

I agree with above.

Make sure to just have a skeleton instead of a full blow analysis for QC. More work for everyone the way you did it.

I feel like the sub set is a worse copy of gastly even with STAB fire move it still doesnt have the attacking power or speed. I agree you should give it a niche like trick room to make sure its not used as an inferior gastly.

I disagree with the statement about being a psychic check as it is outsped and probably OHKOed by a shadowball or possibly a psychic from abra.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Ultimately, I think that a TR set is the only viable one. Litwick just does not have the stats to stand out over other ghosts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)