Luxray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. So. Um. This is one of my first times doing one of these, and I'm ridiculously new to competitive battling, so please bear with me. ^^;

Luxray

I've always been fond of the apex predator Pokemon like Luxray and Mightyena. Unfortunately, Gamefreak is constantly determined to make playing him difficult for me. Due to the commonness of Earthquake last generation, and a lack of a reliable or strong STAB move, Luxray in particular had a lot of trouble. Spark and Thunder Fang just didn't cut it.

That said, some of those problems has been addressed. Let's look at what Luxray has to offer now!

Abilities:
Rivalry: One of those abilities that always seemed good on paper, but really didn't have much of a use due to the evenness of gender ratios on most Pokemon.
Intimidate: Allows Luxray to switch in and take the opponent down a peg, and potentially survive a hit. Hindered by Luxray's ridiculously average defenses.
Guts: Now that's what I'm talking about. Luxray finally gets a decent ability in the form of Guts, which boosts its power while suffering from status. Unfortunately, this comes at the loss of one of Luxray's few advantages from Gen IV, Superpower, which was a move tutor.

Level-Up Moves

Tackle
Leer
Charge
Leer
Charge
Spark
Bite
Roar
Swagger
Thunder Fang
Crunch
Scary Face
Discharge
Wild Bolt

Egg Moves

Ice Fang
Fire Fang

Thunder Fang
Quick Attack
Howl
Take Down
Night Slash
Shock Wave
Swift
Double Kick
Signal Beam
Helping Hand

TM/HMs

Roar
Toxic
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Light Screen
Protect
Rain Dance
Frustration
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Return
Double Team
Facade
Rest
Attract
Thief
Troll
Charge Beam
Giga Impact
Flash
Volt Charge
Thunder Wave
Swagger
Substitute
Wild Bolt

Back Out
Strength

Gen IV Move Tutor

Fury Cutter
Headbutt
Magnet Rise
Mud-Slap
Signal Beam
Snore
Superpower
Swift

As you can see, Wild Bolt and Volt Charge both give Luxray what he's desperately needed since day one: reliable STAB. Both have their uses, with Wild Bolt favoring raw power and Volt Charge allowing it to hit while switching out.

In terms of its original abilities, Luxray gains moves and doesn't lose any of his old ones - it can be raised and tutored in Gen IV and sent to BW while still being able to reap the benefits of Volt Charge and Wild Bolt. Unfortunately, if you want to use Guts (assuming, that is, that Dream World abilities are breedable), he loses all but one of his pre-existing moves: Superpower, which would otherwise give it the ability to hit fairly hard against rock types like Tyranitar, as well as against Steel.

That said, Guts on its own does provide some advantages. Again assuming that Guts can be bred, here's one such potential moveset based on using Guts.

Luxray
Jolly - Toxic/Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
- Wild Bolt
- Ice Fang
- Crunch/Volt Charge
- Howl

Wild Bolt is favored for the first slot here, as it offers the most power. Unfortunately, with its held item, it's going to be dying very quickly. Ice Fang is normally very weak, and Howl normally not worth its salt, but between Guts and the boost from Howl, both become somewhat more respectable, giving Luxray the ability to hit Ground Types. Crunch is always good, but Volt Charge would also give Luxray the ability to exit the battle when faced against something unfavorable, which makes it somewhat worthwhile to run alongside Wild Bolt.

Obviously, the weaknesses here are Luxray's mediocre speed (somewhat deterred by Jolly) and defenses. Both of these make setting up Howl dangerous, which combined with the fact that he's entering the battle poisoned means he's got a good chance of dying before he can do anything.

This next moveset utilizes Luxray's existing abilities and focuses on his existing Gen IV options combined with his Gen V options.

Luxray
Jolly - Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
- Wild Volt
- Superpower
- Crunch/Volt Charge/Howl/Roar
- Return/Volt Charge/Howl/Roar

This is pure offense. Wild Volt is standard again, while Superpower is your main defense against the likes of the steel and rock pantheon, and Tyranitar. The other two slots are trickier. Crunch and Return both add valid additional offense, while Howl provides a stat boost. Meanwhile, Volt Charge retains the previous set's validity of allowing Luxray to switch, while Roar lets him send away unfavorable opponents.

There is also the possibility of running him as a mixed attacker thanks to the new weather options, which allow him to accurately call down Thunder. He also has Signal Beam, which is a decent if unremarkable move.

That said, Luxray will never be as great as I want him to be. Certainly not in this generation, anyway. Nevertheless, one of the gaping holes in his repertoire has been filled, in addition to some new offerings that add to his versatility. So, Luxray has the potential to rise to the occasion as an average battler or member of the lower tiers, where it will undoubtedly gain the ability to prove itself after four years of languishing in mediocrity.

*whew* How did I do everyone?

Guts Facade is more powerful than STAB Wild Bolt, and it's also more powerful than a super effective Ice Fang. He really don't have the bulk to set up a Howl, so I think his best set is Wild Bolt / Facade / Crunch / Superpower.

Facade. How did I forget Facade? I bolded Facade. x_x I meant to write about Facade. Meh, I suppose I still have a lot to learn.

Super Power is illegal with Guts so Wild Volt/Facade/Crunch/Volt Change would probably be best. It's nice to see Luxray get a good STAB move this generation.

I was refering to Blasphemy1 when I said that, since he posted a set that had Super Power and Guts. I can't really think of any other sets beyond the obvious Choice Band and an Intimidate+Helping Hand Doubles set that Arcanine uses much better.

I was thinking:

Luxray @ Choice Scarf
Adamant (adamant scarfed outspeeds max+ 110)
252spe/252atk/6hp
Intimidate

Wild Bolt
Crunch
Superpower
Volt Charge

I really wish superpower could be used in conjunction with guts. maybe pkmn grey will rectify this little detail? hahaha.

keep in mind scarfed jolly outspeeds everything without a scarf in UU... I just like the extra power. (on paper).

I was thinking:

Luxray @ Choice Scarf
252spe/252atk/6hp
Intimidate

Wild Bolt
Crunch
Superpower
Volt Charge

I really wish superpower could be used in conjunction with guts. maybe pkmn grey will rectify this little detail? hahaha.
I very much like the Jolly version of this for UU, his new moves have been badly needed and should do some damage in the lower tiers. Little to no point running him as anything other than pure offence though, since he's very frail.

Always had a soft spot for the guy in the campaign, even though there's far better out there (granted, he was the best early electric in the 4th gen story).

I LOVE Luxray. But right now I am furious that Game Freak (or whoever) decides, once again, to piss all over Luxray.

Firstly, he's a lion, a predator. And they make him slower than Kingler and as slow as Magneton?

Secondly, Wild Bolt. I thought finally Luxray would allow to shine with his Attack, but no. It's a recoil move. What the fudge? We've got 95 BP moves with 100 % accuracy, and then this comes along. If it had been a 100 BP move, it would have been all right, but this is just... ARGH. Fluck off.

Intimidate is a damned good ability, and Superpower is one of his best offensive moves. Guts is okay, but he really doesn't have the speed to support a glass-cannon offensive style set. I suppose you could use Guts on a Scarf set designed to switch in and absorb status, but that's kind of risky.

Overall, I'm guessing his best shot at higher tier usage would be the aforementioned Scarf set with the new addition of Wild Bolt and Volt Change, or banded with the same additions. At Lower tiers, he can probably still fill his mixed wallbreaker role, maybe with Volt Change as a scouting move. Overall though, he has nothing overly impressive compared to the likes of, say, Electavire, who may not even make the OU cut this time around.

Intimidate is a damned good ability, and Superpower is one of his best offensive moves. Guts is okay, but he really doesn't have the speed to support a glass-cannon offensive style set. I suppose you could use Guts on a Scarf set designed to switch in and absorb status, but that's kind of risky.
He doesn't have the defences to be anything but a glass cannon build.

He'll be a decent Scarf user with Volt Charge to abuse, and Intimidate to soften switch ins and force switches. He'll probably be relegated to the lower tiers, but a decent physical STAB and his new Volt Charge will assist him a lot.

Not a UU player so bear with me if I sound retarded but I would consider its old standard with the addition of Wild Bolt more playable than the new Guts set. Wild Bolt is what Luxray has been waiting for because it can now function as a dedicated physical sweeper, instead of relying on Spark for damage. If we had to choose between the Fangs + Superpower + Intimidate or Guts I would go for the first set as it doesn't take anything from Luxray's respectable bulk and allows it to function as a better attacker. Main perk of Guts is probably to be able to switch into Water-types with greater flexibility as it wouldn't have to worry about Boiling Water.

I can see Luxray like a sort of Heracross. He has great attack but his speed stat is lacking which will never see him break into OU.

He will rest in UU and a good scouter on pal pad battles but eitherwise the set with intimidate + superpower + wild bolt + crunch + volt change is the best one because he is quite bulky and can take hits.

But the set with the toxic orb is odd because Wild Bolt will already provide recoil and Luxray will die in very few turns which goes against his alright bulkiness.

Phione has slightly better defenses, and it isnt used because it is defensively weak. 80/80/80 isn't good unless you have alota resistances like a Steel type.

Still, Intimidate only helps on the foes that u switch into. Any other foe/they switch out as you switch in and it isn't helpful.

I'm glad Luxray got a boost, but I don't think it will get much use, because the new guts set, it mainly outclassed by Heracross or even Ursaring.

this may be a stupid question, but can't you breed superpower onto a guts luxray? a male luxray with superpower from 4th gen bred with a female guts luxray... wouldn't that work? because if i'm not mistaken, it's been confirmed that DW abilities ARE breedable...

It finally got a better STAB Move as well as having Guts. Maybe it could make use of a Toxic/Flame Orb to abuse Guts too. I'm eager to try Luxray out. Definitely has quite some potential this generation.

I was thinking:

Luxray @ Choice Scarf
252spe/252atk/6hp
Intimidate

Wild Bolt
Crunch
Superpower
Volt Charge

This is what I instantly thought of too. He'd be like a weaker, slower, Hearacross. But electric type of course. He can't really be taking burn damage WITH Wild Bolt recoil. Sure, he can try and die very quickly if you're hitting things hard which you will be.

I'm not saying you shouldn't utilize guts, i'm saying Luxray probably won't work >_>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)