Mackenzie's digital art

So yeah, I'll be covering and showcasing some pixel artworks/ sprites that I've done for quite a long time.

My miiverse drawing :3 Because espeon is the epitome of cool, calm, collected

The list may or might include:

Since this thread doesn't permit non-scratched sprites (revamps, recolors, and whatnot, I'll be posting them in another place if anyone wants to see, you can contact me via PM)
Scratch Sprites (the true test of a spriter)
BACKGROUND:
Why choose this style of art?
These were intended to be used for a revamped 3rd gen gs remake. Most of the drive for this (project if you will) was due to the lack of creativity on Game Freak's part in devising a solid (sprite-wise) remake of GS called HeartGold and SoulSilver. I mean come on, they literally took reposed a lot of DPPt Sprites to make their life easier. This certainly did not do justice to what I was (a GSC FAN I AM) expecting out of Game Freak. Come on, FireRed and LeafGreen certainly got the best sprites (both trainer sprites and pokemon sprites) were given the best treatment. This is the sole reason why I decided to take this endeavor.

--

Tools
I use
-----
MS paint (classic)
Gimp (to make transparent pixel backgrounds)

--

So here are my works:
Note: You are certainly NOT ALLOWED to copy any of these images. However, I have the prerogative of negotiating with those who ask permission, if I find that the project you are working on would be interesting enough that would warrant you to have permission to add it. But of course, you NEED to give credit if ever, you would like to use any of these.
~ Trainers ~
Do note that the sprites on the right are included as basis and are works of Nintendo Creatures GameFreak.
If a mod decides that they are irrelevant to the viewers, I will change every art to only include the scratches.

The list is still quite small because I've done a lot of revamps as opposed to scratches (and revamps aren't allowed so...), I may update this collection depending on schedule. Time constraints and other activities limit this thread's activity, so please be patient.

- Scratch Sprites (based off FR/LG - outfit, or coloring method)
Lady

Picknicker F

GSC Hero

C Heroine (Kris > Lyra xD)

Feel free to give constructive criticism on any body proportions, pixels out of place, and whatnot. It's been a while since I last made a pixel art.

And before anything else, Please enjoy your stay and thanks for visiting. :)

:Le small Update:

-> Works in Progress-es
at a glance. X/Y and homework compete with art time so...
anyway, as promised, to add to my thread are these work in progress sprites.

gen 2 references on the right of each are (c) 1999 game freak's gsc sprite .

Picnicker:

So yeah I decided to deviate from Game Freak's FR/LG Picnicker given that my reference was on rby and dppt, as compared to having a similar design to fr/lg. Hair is somehow a reference to Pokemon Trainer Dawn, and rby junior trainer.

School Kid:

Not much to say here, as you notice that there's an eye-rape red color in the bag, which explains why i don't know which color scheme to accompany it atm. Reference for the coloring of the clothes was based on the male tuber in FR/LG (Sis and Bro to be exact)

Feel free to comment and leave constructive criticismsss.

Surprised there aren't any comments here, tbh! Anyway, I feel like your pixel art is pretty good all around, though there are a couple of concerns (for me at least, and I'm no expert on spriting by any means). Most major one is probably the school kid's left arm (his left) which if you extended it would probably fall below his knees. I realise the old sprite has elements of this with it's right arm as well, but it's a little offputting! Secondly, a much more minor issue is your outlines. The colouring and all that good stuff seems pretty good, but there are noticeable parts on some of your sprites where the outline appears to drop off (that, or the outline is just too light to notice that it's there), such as the upper parts of your latest picnicker's left arm, and the part on the lady's left arm where it meets the sleeve. Obviously in some sprites it's necessary to do this for artistic reasons, and it works in places such as the school kid's left leg, but on these other sprites it seems a little distracting, especially when compared to a sprite that doesn't appear to use it at all, like the picnicker F (your best sprite, imo!).

Anyway, keep it up! It's always good to see scratch spriters around, and your miiverse drawing is also p great.

Hi elcheeso~ I've indicated the responses in bold letters below.

Surprised there aren't any comments here, tbh!
I know right, but with the very few sprites I have at start, it probably wouldn't go that far anyway. I haven't seen much sprites on-site, so I decided to share what I have for the past year of spriting.

Anyway, I feel like your pixel art is pretty good all around, though there are a couple of concerns (for me at least, and I'm no expert on spriting by any means). Most major one is probably the school kid's left arm (his left) which if you extended it would probably fall below his knees. I realise the old sprite has elements of this with it's right arm as well, but it's a little offputting!
Oh lol, I must have overdid the whole carrying your bag thing to the point that I didn't pay much attention to the proportion of his arms to his height ;_; Will revise this soon.

Secondly, a much more minor issue is your outlines. The colouring and all that good stuff seems pretty good, but there are noticeable parts on some of your sprites where the outline appears to drop off (that, or the outline is just too light to notice that it's there), such as the upper parts of your latest picnicker's left arm, and the part on the lady's left arm where it meets the sleeve. Obviously in some sprites it's necessary to do this for artistic reasons, and it works in places such as the school kid's left leg, but on these other sprites it seems a little distracting, especially when compared to a sprite that doesn't appear to use it at all, like the picnicker F (your best sprite, imo!).
The most common excuse for this sort of problem would probably be that those are still in the works xD. But given that you noticed that the colors on the lady f's right arm is also off points out that it is an issue. Now that you mentioned it, I should consider having a better understanding of the outlines. I seem to overdo the trick that the pixel artists of Gary's hair do in fr/lg, the use of subtle lines to make the hair stand out.
(c) gamefreak, image from bulbapedia.
Thanks, the picnicker was based off the fr/lg one, so it looks more like a repose from scratch than a scratch in itself (the color scheme to be specific), and i must say it does look proportionately alive given the brightness of the colors.

Anyway, keep it up! It's always good to see scratch spriters around, and your miiverse drawing is also p great.
Thanks for taking the time to view them to share your opinion. I plan on perfecting the sprites to come close to this undertaking. The remake, FR/LG really drove me to give similar justice sprite-wise to GSC.

As for the miiverse, I just got hooked to it, someone from the art thread was nice enough to share theirs, so I played aroudn with it too. But yeah, it acts more on the aesthetic purpose of the thread than the thread's main actor.

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
These are fantastic! I especially love how you re-envisioned these two:

You chose a great color for Kris' hair especially, it balances out well with the rest of her clothing. Looking forward to seeing more of your work! ^u^

These are fantastic! I especially love how you re-envisioned these two:

You chose a great color for Kris' hair especially, it balances out well with the rest of her clothing. Looking forward to seeing more of your work! ^u^
Thanks for taking the time to check them sephirona, I still have to fix those, I just noticed how Gold has a lot of black outlines on his shirt and his color scheme is almost the same with Red/FRLG male trainer, and iirc Kris' hair is almost if not the same with the blue hues on Leaf/FRLG girl's shirt. :3 Given the errors, the next update will most likely showcase fixed sprites of these, but that doesn't mean there won't be new ones coming up =)

I haven't posted in a while but I made this on oekaki paint bbs.

I like oekaki, so I plan on doing more of this art from now, I'm really inspired by user ryuzaki, so you can see how it resembles that style.

And now a little something regarding this art.
I remember getting my copy of pokemon x for the first time, playing in awe with all the new things and such (3D animations), but one that was most memorable albeit quite annoying enough to instill a mark in my memory is chasing the furfrou and cornering it, honestly it reminded me of how annoying Snowpoint City gym was back in DPPt, but this one, just won hands down as the worst pokemon troll plot-wise ever

I have some progress on pixels, but sadly they're not that good and some aren't allowed on the art thread, so I might contact someone in order to have it shown in a better perspective, but probably not on smogon.

Last edited:
Back; I haven't abandoned it yet.
Revisions:
I tried preserving the style similar to HGSS, but coloring method is similar to RSE's male school boy. Right leg needs some adjustments, and the shirt color seems bland.

Beta (work in progress):

Deformed, deformed all over, pose of kimono girl is inspired by the backsprite of a female DPPt trainer.
The twins' hands look weird, the height was simply approximated since it is more difficult to compare to original sprites when they are posed to be crouched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)