Magmortar (UU Wallbreaker)

Hey ya'll this is Ian. I have used this Magmortar set on both Pokemon Online and Shoddy with great success as a wallbreaker. Not only does it have great special attack (Highest of all UU fire types bar tying with Moltres), but it also has a unique base speed of 83 allowing it outrun many walls as well as base 80 sweepers, and a great base attack stat of 95, all of which allow Magmortar to function great as a wallbreaker. I couldn't really think of a good name for the set, so i just called it what it functions as. Also, the Mixed attacker set for Magmortar is made mainly for standard play and is out of date. Also, I'm not sure if I should do calc's or not, so please let me know if you would want me to. Anyways, here is the set:

*Updated for Analysis*

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/magmortar

[SET]
name: UU Mixed Wallbreaker
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Cross Chop
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive / Hasty
evs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Magmortar's greatest strength lies in his ability to deal with both the physical and special walls of UU, thanks to his sky-high base 125 Special Attack and solid base 95 Attack. These are backed by Magmortar's extremely diverse movepool and the 1.3x power boost from Life Orb, turning Magmortar into a mixed sweeper who can blast through the strongest walls of UU.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is Magmortar's main attacking move and OHKOes or 2HKOes almost every Pokemon who doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt is an ideal move on Magmortar, as it OHKOes Moltres and gives Magmortar an excellent tool with which to hurt bulky Waters. The third slot is chosen based on personal preference. Hidden Power Grass is usually the more reliable option because it allows Magmortar to hit a wider range of Pokemon, including Rhyperior and the Water / Ground types who would otherwise wall this set. It also is Magmortar's strongest move against Lanturn. Hidden Power Ice is the other alternative; while the only notable Pokemon hit by it is Altaria, it still scores super effective hits on Ground-types (however, it doesn't OHKO Rhyperior), making it a good alternate option. The last move, Cross Chop, allows Magmortar to destroy the one special wall who would otherwise wall this set completely: Chansey. With Stealth Rock in play, the combination of Fire Blast and Cross Chop has a high chance of KOing her. Cross Chop also OHKOes Houndoom, who would otherwise be able to come in on Fire Blast, obtain a Flash Fire boost, and set up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Speed-boosting nature is chosen for this set, as it allows Magmortar to outspeed Milotic, Feraligatr, and all max Speed positive nature base 88s, including Venusaur and Blaziken. This means Magmortar can function not only as a wallbreaker, but also as a sweeper, because his unique base 83 Speed stat allows him to outspeed a wide range of Pokemon. The choice of nature depends on what you want Magmortar to take less damage from. A Naive nature allows Magmortar to take less damage from physical priority attacks (such as Fake Out or Mach Punch), while a Hasty nature allows Magmortar to take less from special attacks like Leaf Storm. Life Orb is the item of choice on this set, allowing Magmortar to switch freely between attacks and giving him a welcome power boost. Here are some damage calculations demonstrating the power of this Magmortar:</p>

<h3>Damage Calculations</h3>
<ul class="damage_calculations">
<li>Fire Blast vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Donphan - 109.71% - 131.44%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Bold Weezing - 73.95% - 87.42%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 216 SpD Careful Registeel - 74.17% - 87.91%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Claydol - 65.12% - 77.16%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Careful Spiritomb - 61.51% - 73.02%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Calm Clefable - 55.58% - 65.48%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Calm Chansey - 26.83% - 31.82%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bold Slowbro - 79.18% - 93.40%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Bold Milotic - 54.96% - 65.13%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 56 SpD Calm Milotic - 47.20% - 55.83%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bold Blastoise - 69.06% - 81.76%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Bold Cloyster - 107.23% - 126.31%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Rhyperior - 115.55% - 136.29%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Careful Quagsire - 91.37% - 108.62%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs. 40 HP / 252 Calm Lanturn - 41.39% - 48.87%</li>
<li>Cross Chop vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Calm Chansey - 61.15% - 72.07%</li>
</ul>

<p>These calculations effectively portray Magmortar's raw power. Any of these Pokemon who switches into Fire Blast is then KOed by one of Magmortar's coverage moves (with the sole exception of Lanturn). If a physically defensive Milotic switches in on Fire Blast, she is then KOed by Thunderbolt (assuming Stealth Rock is up). The calculations also show the importance of Stealth Rock, which allows Magmortar to gain some very important OHKOs and 2HKOs.</p>

<p>Despite his excellent attacking prowess, this variant of Magmortar generally has a short lifespan. Stealth Rock chips off a whopping 25% of Magmortar's health every time he switches in. This, coupled with recoil damage from Life Orb, can often lead to Magmortar's early demise. Therefore, Rapid Spin support is invaluable to Magmortar, allowing him to switch in much more freely in order to fire off his powerful attacks. Wish support is also greatly appreciated by Magmortar, restoring health lost due to entry hazards, Life Orb recoil, and other forms of residual damage.</p>

<p>Magmortar pairs well with Pokemon who either defensively complement him or take advantage of the large holes Magmortar can punch into the opposing team. Toxicroak makes a great partner to Magmortar, as he can come in on Water-type attacks directed at Magmortar, set up Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep. Thanks to his typing and ability, Toxicroak can also come in on numerous priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, which greatly threaten Magmortar. Physical variants of Toxicroak often lure in Will-O-Wisp users, such as Spiritomb, whom Magmortar can freely switch into. Due to his ability to eliminate bulky Waters with Thunderbolt, Magmortar can open up opportunities for Pokemon such as Rock Polish Rhyperior to sweep. Rhyperior can also come in on Thunder Wave from defensive Pokemon who Magmortar cannot OHKO, such as Uxie, and then proceed to set up the following turn. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Rapid Spin support greatly aids Magmortar by getting rid of entry hazards, which hinder his survivability. The two Rapid Spinners who have the greatest synergy with Magmortar are Claydol and Blastoise. Claydol can switch into Ground-type attacks aimed at Magmortar, spin away entry hazards, and then proceed to set up entry hazards of its own. Blastoise also makes a great partner to Magmortar because he can come in on Water attacks as well as Arcanine, who threatens Magmortar with his powerful priority attack, ExtremeSpeed.</p>

*Updated with 2nd draft analysis. Please proofread and check the prose. Thanks*
I'm not sure if I should add more Calcs or take off some. Help on this would be grateful.
I also had trouble deciding on the name of the set, so any help with that would be good too. Thanks again.

very good set; definitely should replace the current mix attacker and probably should be moved to the top of magmortar's analysis.

a few minor notes but nothing that really impacts the set as a whole:
- rapid spin support is a really big deal for magmortar - the way you have it now currently seems like a one sentence mention. i'd dedicate a paragraph in AC explaining its benefits (much MUCH more freedom with prediction and switching in and out which means more dead stuff basically) and how to get spin support.
- mention HP ice as an option somewhere because it hits altaria and is still super effective vs pure ground pokemon but isnt as effective against rhyperior and quagsire
- this would probably be a good pokemon to use with displayed damage calcs. be sure to clarify what kind of pokemon spread-wise, milotic especially (i would calc bold 252/0 and calm 252/56+), you are hitting. combinations like vs chansey with fb and cc would be useful there too. be sure to take into account leftovers (it doesn't always 2HKO chansey btw; you say it does).
- i disagree with the last sentence as magmortar can be very effective at early or midgame wallbreaking, but the dugtrio note definitely makes sense.

QC APPROVED 1/2

Okay thanks Whistle I'll be sure to mention/change those couple of things. Should I change them now or do it on the AC?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Awesome write-up Ian.

You mention Croagunk in the set comments (should be Toxicroak) and SpA has a period inbetween S and p.
Also maybe mention how other pokemon like Rhyperior and other fire types have an easier time sweeping with Milotic and other bulky waters out of the way.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Great skeleton. Just a few notes:

- Make sure the speed lets you outrun Offensive Milotic (not sure if it does, if it doesn't should only need a bit more investment)

- Is there a reason the nature is Hasty over Naive? I know Maggie has a slightly lower defense than special defense, but a lot of the attacks it's going to be getting hit in common battle conditions are physical priority, particularly from the likes of Arcanine, TechTop, and Hitmonlee. Tanking those a bit better might be useful.

@PK Gaming- Hahaha I can't believe I put Croagunk over Toxicroak, I'll change that right away. And yeah I'll be sure to mention that too in the final draft.

@Flareblitz- Thanks Flareblitz, I'll be sure to mention the advantages of both Hasty and Naive (I'll probably use Naive as the main nature listed because priority attacks on Magmortar are probably more common than special attacks being aimed at it). And yep, I made sure the speed ev's were enough to outrun Timid max speed Milotic.

@Komodo- Um, sorry about that Komodo. I didn't see that set anywhere on the quality control forum so I thought I should go ahead and post mine here. There are some differences between our mixed wallbreaking sets though.

honestly if a thread in c&c goes for three months without a post it is no one's fault but the author's. that said... he did have the analysis written with a similar set. komodo please try to incorporate the comments here into your analysis and get it done soon.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I want to note that Ich's spread is probably optimal; +Spe nature is needed to outrun all the +Spe nature base 80s (Venusaur), and 240 EVs (for Timid Milotic) isn't that much of a leap.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ian you mention Toxicroak as a good partner, but I think it's definitely worth expanding on that even further. I'm sure you plan on doing so, just a wee reminder :). Toxicroak can take on many many of the pokemon that threaten Magmortar. A very common way for Magmortar to be taken down is through enemy priority attacks, and Toxicroak's resistances to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch and Sucker Punch let it come straight in and force the opponent's hand yet again. Also, Will-o-Wisps aimed at Toxicroak from the likes of Weezing and Spiritomb give Magmortar a very easy time switching in. This is of particular importance as Magmortar's lackluster typing doesn't give it many other such opportunities.

Also, it'd be nice if you could mention how useful paralysis support can be for Magmortar. This isn't some slow attacker that absolutely requires it to be effective, but it can literally 2HKO if not OHKO the entire tier with it. We all know how effective Maggy is against slower and stall teams, but if you can throw a couple of Thunder Waves around and catch some of the more offensive pokes like Alakazam, Mismagius, Sceptile etc, Magmortar will have a field day. In my playtesting I've found Slowbro/king to be good partners in this respect, having the useful Water resistances to come in, Thunder Wave to paralyze at their leisure, and Water STAB to destroy any Ground-type trying to outsmart the paralysis attempts.

Overall very good writeup, I'm impressed :).

Thanks for the compliment Legacy Rider, and I'll be sure to mention a lot more on who Magmortar pairs up nicely with.

Also I have a question for anyone who knows the answer. What do I do now that my set has been approved? I have never made a set here before so I have no idea.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ich, if you get 3 stamps, like the one Flareblitz gave you, you will be moved up in the queue. More info on the process can be found here.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Heysup's current absence only 2 stamps are required, and he's got them already. I think you just need to wait a bit while QC decide how best to merge your's and Komodo's work.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Komodo, please contact a UU QC member next time if your analysis is languishing.

Either way I think this mixed set is better than the one in your analysis due to this Magmortar outrunning Venusaur and faster Milotic, and just looking through it you have sets like SubSalac in there which I don't think will pass QC...I'll look at it in depth later and tell you the changes you need to make and we can see about merging these two write ups once Ich writes up the analysis.

But yeah next time let someone know if no one comments/approves of your analysis. Sometimes we just miss things :)

Grammar-Prose Check 1/2:
additions in bold
removals in red
comments in green
[SET]
name: UU Wallbreaker
evs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Speed

[put spaces between slashes on moves]

[Set Comments]

<p>Magmortar's greatest strength lies in his it's ability to deal with both the physical and special walls of UU, thanks to his it's sky-high sky high base 125 Special Attack special attack stat of 125 and his solid base 95 Attack solid base attack stat of 95. This, That backed by Magmortar's extremely diverse movepool and the 1.3x power boost from Life Orb, turns Magmortar into and you have a threatening mixed sweeper that can blast through even the strongest walls of UU.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is Magmortar's main attacking move on this set, easily OHKOing or 2HKOing anyone who all that doesn't don't resist it. Thunderbolt is an ideal move on Magmortar, as it OHKOes Moltres and gives Magmortar an excellent tool to trump bulky Waters one of the best moves a fire type could ever hope for and allows Magmortar to hit the bulky waters for a large amount of damage as well as hitting Moltres for an OHKO. The third slot is up to preference. The choice of hidden power is preference of what you want to hit. Hidden Power Grass is usually the more reliable prefered option, because it allows Magmortar to hit a wider range of Pokemon, including the very common Rhyperior, as well as the Water / Ground water/ground types that would otherwise wall this set. It also is Magmortar's strongest move against Lanturn. The only notable pokemon hit by Hidden Power Ice is Altaria, but it also scores super effective hits on Ground-types (however, it doesn't OHKO Rhyperior) ground types (Though it does not OHKO Rhyperior). The last move, Cross Chop, allows Magmortar to destroy the one special wall who would otherwise wall this set completely: could sponge hits all day from this set and that is Chansey. If Chansey comes in on a Fire Blast with Stealth Rock in play and Stealth Rock, Cross Chop OHKOes OHKO's her it a very high percentage of the time. Cross Chop also OHKOes Houndoom, who often tries to come in on Fire Blast and set up. It also gets the OHKO on Houndoom who might like to come in on a Fire Blast and try and setup.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>A speed-boosting nature Naive/Hasty nature is chosen for this set, as it allows Magmortar with 240 Speed EVs speed ev's to outspeed all max Speed positive-natured positive speed natured base 80s, including Venusaur, Blaziken, Jolly Feraligatr, and Timid Milotic 80's or lower with 252 speed ev's (Such as Venusaur, Blaziken and Jolly Feraligatr) as well as Timid max speed Milotic. This speed also allows Magmortar to function not only as a wallbreaker, but also as a sweeper, because his unique base 83 Speed stat allows him to outspeed a good range of Pokemon because it will be outspeeding a good range of pokemon with it's unique base speed stat of 83. The choice of nature depends on what you want Magmortar to be able to take. A Naive nature allows Magmortar to take less damage from priority attacks (The most common type of attack that Magmortar will be dealing with) or a Hasty nature which allows Magmortar to keep it's solid base special defense stat of 95. [your information here is wrong. hasty lowers defense, whereas naive lowers special defense. additionally, priority attacks can be both physical and special, so these sentences made no sense.] Life Orb is the item of choice on this set, allowing Magmortar to switch freely between attacks and giving him a welcome power boost because it not only allows Magmortar to switch attacks for dealing with the different walls, but also the boost from Life Orb grabs Magmortar important OHKO's during it's sweep. Here are some damage calculations Calc's demonstrating demonstarting the power of this Magmortar:</p>

[below is the correct formatting for damage calculations. copy/paste this into the analysis. next time, please read the rules and figure out how to do it, because this is very tedious for the GP team. also, damage calculations are meant to be used sparingly. i'll leave you to decide which ones should be omitted.]

<li>Fire Blast vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Donphan - 100%</li>
[also, note that damage calcs aren't supposed to have caps (meaning that even if it's going to >100%, you should still write in the exact percentages)]
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 188 SpD Adamant Donphan - 75% - 88.28%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Weezing - 99.1% - 117.06%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Bold Spiritomb - 75.98% - 89.80%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Bold Cloyster - 100%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Rhyperior - 100%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Rhyperior w/ Sandstorm Boost - 77.03% - 91.11%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Careful Quagsire - 91.37% - 108.62%</li>
<li>Cross Chop vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Naive Houndoom - 100%</li>
</ul>

<p>These calculations effectively portray Magmortar's raw power. Any Pokemon that switches into Fire Blast is then KOed by one of Magmortar's coverage moves (with the sole exception of Lanturn). What these calcs are meant to portray is the raw power of Magmortar's attacks, as any pokemon that switch into a Fire Blast is then OHKO'd by the respective move meant for it (Except for Lanturn). If a physically defensive Milotic switches in on decides to switch in on a Fire Blast, she is then KOed by Thunderbolt (assuming Stealth Rock is up) that damage plus SR damage means that Milotic can be OHKO'd by a Thunderbolt. The calculations also show the importance of Stealth Rock, which allows Magmortar to gain some very important OHKOs and 2HKOs. These Calcs are also meant to employ the importance of Stealth Rock being on the opponents field, as many 2HKO's can turn into surefire OHKO's with the rocks taking a percantage out of the opponents pokemon.</p>

<p>Despite his excellent attacking prowess, this variant of Magmortar generally has a short lifespan. The greatest weakness of this Magmortar set is it's longevity. Stealth Rock chips off a whopping 25% of Magmortar's health every time he switches in. This, coupled with recoil damage from Life Orb, can often lead to Magmortar's demise. With Stealth rock taking a whopping 25% of Magmortar's health when it switches into battle backed by the 10% recoil from Life Orb and Magmortar will be running low on HP very fast. Therefore, That is why Rapid Spin support is invaluable to Magmortar, allowing Magmortar to switch in much more freely and continue to fire off his it's powerful attacks. Wish support is also gladly greatly accepted by Magmortar, restoring lost health from entry hazard damage and Life Orb recoil and entry hazard damage or Life Orb recoil it has taken.</p>

<p>Magmortar pairs well with Pokemon who either defensively complement him or take advantages of the large holes Magmortar can punch into the opposing team can either take advantages of it's weakness and come in on certain attacks, or pokemon who can take advantage of a specific wall being gone on the opponents side, potentially opening up a sweep. Toxicroak makes a great partner to Magmortar, as he can come in on Water-type attacks directed at Magmortar, set up Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep surf's from opposing pokemon and either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot up and proceed to make an attempted sweep. Thanks to his typing and ability, Toxicroak can also come in on the numerous priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, which would greatly threaten Magmortar thanks to Toxicroak's typing and ability, which allow it to come in on an aqua jet or a mach punch. Physical variants of Toxicroak often lure in Will-O-Wisp users, whom Magmortar can freely switch into. Magmortar also makes a great partner for SD Toxicroak because after a SD it lures pokemon with Will-o-wisp in, which Magmortar can come in for free on and continue punching holes in opposing teams. Due to his it's ability to eliminate bulky Waters with Thunderbolt, Magmortar can open up opportunities for Pokemon such as Rock Polish Rhyperior to sweep. destroy bulky waters via Thunderbolt, Magmortar can open up potenial sweepes for other pokemon such as Rock Polish Rhyperior, who would greatly appreciate an opposinhg teams Milotic being out of the picture. Rhyperior can also come in on the annoying Thunder Wave from defensive Pokemon such as Uxie, who that Magmortar cannot OHKO, and then proceed to set up setup the following turn. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Rapid Spin support greatly aids Magmortar by getting rid of entry hazards, which hinder Magmortar's survivability rocks that hinder Magmortar's longevity. The two Rapid Spinners that have the greatest synergy with Magmortar are Claydol and Blastoise. Claydol can switch into Gound-type attacks aimed at Magmortar, spin away entry hazards, and then proceed to set up entry hazards of its own. Claydol can come in on ground type attacks aimed at Magmortar and proceed to spin away stealth rocks and other entry hazards on the field, but also to set up it's own Stealth Rocks which would greatly assist a Magmortar sweep. Blastoise also makes a great partner to Magmortar, because he it can come in on Water attacks as well as Arcanine, who threatens Magmortar with his it's powerful priority attack, Extremespeed.</p>

Whew!

Sorry for the delay in getting this up.

I've made a boatload of changes to the write-up, while trying to preserve the original meaning of what you were trying to say. However, I think it's quite likely that this analysis will require 3+ GP checks. To be frank, the spelling, grammar, and prose weren't that great. There were several recurring errors, such as your misuse of "it's" ("it's" is a contraction for "it is", "its" denotes possession), numerous errors in capitalization (you didn't capitalize words like "Pokemon," "Thunder Wave," and "Rapid Spin," all of which should be fairly obvious), and overall weak prose. I don't mean to discourage you, but the writing needs to be improved to fit Smogon's standards. However, it's still a great set and you definitely put some effort into this. So, kudos to you for that!

Withholding my GP stamp until changes are made.

EDIT: Changes made, so:

Okay, finished making the changes to the Analysis...Wow I made a lot of mistakes. Thanks for the Grammar check Draco, it doesn't look like it was too fun to proofread, but thanks again.

Well I guess I need a couple more Grammar checks now.

*Updated with revisions*

needs another grammar check preferably from a prose/style freak

[SET]
nature: Naive / (the slash is bold for some reason) Hasty
evs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Speed

[Set CommentsET COMMENTS]

<p>Magmortar's greatest strength lies in his ability to deal with both the physical and special walls of UU, thanks to his sky-high base 125 SpecialAttack and his solid base 95 Attack. Thisese are backed by Magmortar's extremely diverse movepool and the 1.3x power boost from Life Orb, turnsing Magmortar into a threatening mixed sweeper that can blast through the strongest walls of UU.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is Magmortar's main attacking move, easily OHKOingand OHKOes or 2HKOinges anyone who doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt is an ideal move on Magmortar, as it OHKOes Moltres and gives Magmortar an excellent tool to trump bulky Waters. The third slot is up tochosen based on personal preference. Hidden Power Grass is usually the more reliable option, because it allows Magmortar to hit a wider range of Pokemon, including the very common Rhyperior, as well as the Water / Ground types thatwho would otherwise wall this set. It also is Magmortar's strongest move against Lanturn. The only notable pokemon hit by Hidden Power Ice is Altaria, but it alsoHidden Power Ice is the other alternative; while the only notable pokemon hit by it is Altaria, it still scores super effective hits on Ground-types (however, it doesn't OHKO Rhyperior). The last move, Cross Chop, allows Magmortar to destroy the one special wall who would otherwise wall this set completely: Chansey. If Chansey comes in on Fire Blast with Stealth Rock in play, Cross Chop OHKOes her a very high percentage of the timeWith Stealth Rock in play, Fire Blast and Cross Chop together have a high chance of 2HKOing her. Cross Chop also OHKOes Houndoom, who often tries to come in on Fire Blast and set up.</p>

[Additional CommentsDDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A sSpeed-boosting nature is chosen for this set, as it allows Magmortar with 240 Speed EVs to outspeed all max Speed positive-natured base 80s and below1s, including Venusaur, Blaziken, Jolly Feraligatr, and Timid Milotic. This allowmeans Magmortar tocan function not only as a wallbreaker, but also as a sweeper, because his unique base 83 Speed stat allows him to outspeed a goodwide range of Pokemon. The choice of nature depends on what you want Magmortar to be able to take less damage from. A Naive nature allows Magmortar to take less damage from physical priority attacks (Ssuch as Fake Out or Mach Punch) or, while a Hasty nature which allows Magmortar to take less from Special Attacks like Leaf Storm. Life Orb is the item of choice on this set, allowing Magmortar to switch freely between attacks and giving him a welcome power boost. Here are some damage calculations demonstrating the power of this Magmortar:</p>

<li>Fire Blast vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Donphan - 100%</li> (this should be 252 HP)
</ul>

<p>These calculations effectively portray Magmortar's raw power. Any Pokemon that switches into Fire Blast is then KOed by one of Magmortar's coverage moves (with the sole exception of Lanturn). If a physically defensive Milotic switches in on Fire Blast, she is then KOed by Thunderbolt (assuming Stealth Rock is up). (this is not guaranteed or even "very likely") The calculations also show the importance of Stealth Rock, which allows Magmortar to gain some very important OHKOs and 2HKOs.</p>

<p>Despite his excellent attacking prowess, this variant of Magmortar generally has a short lifespan. Stealth Rock chips off a whopping 25% of Magmortar's health every time he switches in. This, coupled with recoil damage from Life Orb, can often lead to Magmortar's early demise. Therefore, Rapid Spin support is invaluable to Magmortar, allowing Magmortar to switch in much more freely and continuein order to fire off his powerful attacks. Wish support is also gladly accepted by Magmortar, restoring lost health fromlost due to entry hazard damage and Life Orb recoil.</p>

<p>Magmortar pairs well with Pokemon who either defensively complement him or take advantages of the large holes Magmortar can punch into the opposing team. Toxicroak makes a great partner to Magmortar, as he can come in on Water-type attacks directed at Magmortar, set up Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep. Thanks to his typing and ability, Toxicroak can also come in on numerous priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, which would greatly threaten Magmortar. Physical variants of Toxicroak often lure in Will-O-Wisp users, whom Magmortar can freely switch into. Due to his ability to eliminate bulky Waters with Thunderbolt, Magmortar can open up opportunities for Pokemon such as Rock Polish Rhyperior to sweep.Rhyperior can also come in on Thunder Wave from defensive Pokemon such as Uxie, who Magmortar cannot OHKO, and then proceed to set up the following turn. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Rapid Spin support greatly aids Magmortar by getting rid of entry hazards, which hinder Magmortar's survivability. The two Rapid Spinners that have the greatest synergy with Magmortar are Claydol and Blastoise. Claydol can switch into Gound-type attacks aimed at Magmortar, spin away entry hazards, and then proceed to set up entry hazards of its own. Blastoise also makes a great partner to Magmortar, because he can come in on Water attacks as well as Arcanine, who threatens Magmortar with his powerful priority attack, Extremespeed.</p>

[SET]
nature: Naive / (the slash is bold for some reason) Hasty

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Magmortar's greatest strength lies in his ability to deal with both the physical and special walls of UU, thanks to his sky-high base 125 Special Attack and solid base 95 Attack. These are backed by Magmortar's extremely diverse movepool and the 1.3x power boost from Life Orb, turning Magmortar into a mixed sweeper that can blast through the strongest walls of UU.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is Magmortar's main attacking move, and OHKOes or 2HKOes anyone who doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt is an ideal move on Magmortar, as it OHKOes Moltres and gives Magmortar an excellent tool to trump bulky Waters. The third slot is chosen based on personal preference. Hidden Power Grass is usually the more reliable option because it allows Magmortar to hit a wider range of Pokemon, including Rhyperior as well as the Water / Ground types who would otherwise wall this set. It also is Magmortar's strongest move against Lanturn. Hidden Power Ice is the other alternative; while the only notable pokemon hit by it is Altaria, it still scores super effective hits on Ground-types (however, it doesn't OHKO Rhyperior). The last move, Cross Chop, allows Magmortar to destroy the one special wall who would otherwise wall this set completely: Chansey. With Stealth Rock in play, Fire Blast and Cross Chop together have a high chance of 2HKOing her. Cross Chop also OHKOes Houndoom, who often tries to come in on Fire Blast and set up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Speed-boosting nature is chosen for this set, as it allows Magmortar to outspeed all max Speed positive nature base 81s, including Venusaur, Blaziken, Feraligatr, and Milotic. This means Magmortar can function not only as a wallbreaker, but also as a sweeper, because his unique base 83 Speed stat allows him to outspeed a wide range of Pokemon. The choice of nature depends on what you want Magmortar to be able to take less damage from. A Naive nature allows Magmortar to take less damage from physical priority attacks (such as Fake Out or Mach Punch), while a Hasty nature allows Magmortar to take less from Special Attacks like Leaf Storm. Life Orb is the item of choice on this set, allowing Magmortar to switch freely between attacks and giving him a welcome power boost. Here are some damage calculations demonstrating the power of this Magmortar:</p>

<li>Fire Blast vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Donphan - 100%</li> (this should be 252 HP)
</ul>

<p>These calculations effectively portray Magmortar's raw power. Any Pokemon that switches into Fire Blast is then KOed by one of Magmortar's coverage moves (with the sole exception of Lanturn). If a physically defensive Milotic switches in on Fire Blast, she is then KOed by Thunderbolt (assuming Stealth Rock is up). (this is not guaranteed or even "very likely") The calculations also show the importance of Stealth Rock, which allows Magmortar to gain some very important OHKOs and 2HKOs.</p>

<p>Despite his excellent attacking prowess, this variant of Magmortar generally has a short lifespan. Stealth Rock chips off a whopping 25% of Magmortar's health every time he switches in. This, coupled with recoil damage from Life Orb, can often lead to Magmortar's early demise. Therefore, Rapid Spin support is invaluable to Magmortar, allowing Magmortar to switch in much more freely in order to fire off his powerful attacks. Wish support is also gladly accepted by Magmortar, restoring health lost due to entry hazard damage and Life Orb recoil.</p>

<p>Magmortar pairs well with Pokemon who either defensively complement him or take advantages of the large holes Magmortar can punch into the opposing team. Toxicroak makes a great partner to Magmortar, as he can come in on Water-type attacks directed at Magmortar, set up Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep. Thanks to his typing and ability, Toxicroak can also come in on numerous priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, which greatly threaten Magmortar. Physical variants of Toxicroak often lure in Will-O-Wisp users, whom Magmortar can freely switch into. Due to his ability to eliminate bulky Waters with Thunderbolt, Magmortar can open up opportunities for Pokemon such as Rock Polish Rhyperior to sweep. Rhyperior can also come in on Thunder Wave from defensive Pokemon such as Uxie, who Magmortar cannot OHKO, and then proceed to set up the following turn. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Rapid Spin support greatly aids Magmortar by getting rid of entry hazards, which hinder Magmortar's survivability. The two Rapid Spinners that have the greatest synergy with Magmortar are Claydol and Blastoise. Claydol can switch into Gound-type attacks aimed at Magmortar, spin away entry hazards, and then proceed to set up entry hazards of its own. Blastoise also makes a great partner to Magmortar, because he can come in on Water attacks as well as Arcanine, who threatens Magmortar with his powerful priority attack, Extremespeed.</p>

APPROVED 2/2

Okay, thanks for the check Whistle, I'll make sure to those things. The only thing I think I'll leave is the calc for Donphan, because 52 HP EV's is what the standard set on smogon use and is also what the majority of people run on Donphan. Thanks again for the check Whistle.

Now to find someone who is good with checking prose.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is a really good and informative write-up, so awesome job on that!

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[SET]
name: UU Mixed Wallbreaker

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Magmortar's greatest strength lies in his ability to deal with both the physical and special walls of UU, thanks to his sky-high base 125 Special Attack and solid base 95 Attack. These are backed by Magmortar's extremely diverse movepool and the 1.3x power boost from Life Orb, turning Magmortar into a mixed sweeper who can blast through the strongest walls of UU.</p>

<p>Fire Blast is Magmortar's main attacking move, and OHKOes or 2HKOes anyone who doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt is an ideal move on Magmortar, as it OHKOes Moltres and gives Magmortar an excellent tool to hurt bulky Waters with. The third slot is chosen based on personal preference. Hidden Power Grass is usually the more reliable option because it allows Magmortar to hit a wider range of Pokemon, including Rhyperior and the Water / Ground types who would otherwise wall this set. It also is Magmortar's strongest move against Lanturn. Hidden Power Ice is the other alternative; while the only notable Pokemon hit by it is Altaria, it still scores super effective hits on Ground-types (however, it doesn't OHKO Rhyperior), making it a good alternate option. The last move, Cross Chop, allows Magmortar to destroy the one special wall who would otherwise wall this set completely: Chansey. With Stealth Rock in play, Fire Blast and Cross Chop together have a high chance of 2HKOing Chansey. Cross Chop also OHKOes Houndoom, who often tries to come in on Fire Blast, obtain a Flash Fire boost, and set up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Speed-boosting nature is chosen for this set, as it allows Magmortar to outspeed all max Speed positive nature base 81s, including Venusaur, Blaziken, Feraligatr, and Milotic. This means Magmortar can function not only as a wallbreaker, but also as a sweeper, because his unique base 83 Speed stat allows him to outspeed a wide range of Pokemon. The choice of nature depends on what you want Magmortar to be able to take less damage from. A Naive nature allows Magmortar to take less damage from physical priority attacks (such as Fake Out or Mach Punch), while a Hasty nature allows Magmortar to take less from special attacks like Leaf Storm. Life Orb is the item of choice on this set, allowing Magmortar to switch freely between attacks and giving him a welcome power boost. Here are some damage calculations demonstrating the power of this Magmortar:</p>

<li>Fire Blast vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Donphan - 109.71% - 131.44%</li>
<li>Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Bold Cloyster - 107.23% - 126.31%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Rhyperior - 115.55% - 136.29%</li>
</ul>

<p>These calculations effectively portray Magmortar's raw power. Any Pokemon who switches into Fire Blast is then KOed by one of Magmortar's coverage moves (with the sole exception of Lanturn). If a physically defensive Milotic switches in on Fire Blast, she is then KOed by Thunderbolt (assuming Stealth Rock is up). The calculations also show the importance of Stealth Rock, which allows Magmortar to gain some very important OHKOs and 2HKOs.</p>

<p>Despite his excellent attacking prowess, this variant of Magmortar generally has a short lifespan. Stealth Rock chips off a whopping 25% of Magmortar's health every time he switches in. This, coupled with recoil damage from Life Orb, can often lead to Magmortar's early demise. Therefore, Rapid Spin support is invaluable to Magmortar, allowing him to switch in much more freely in order to fire off his powerful attacks. Wish support is also greatly appreciated by Magmortar, restoring health lost due to entry hazards, Life Orb recoil, and other forms of residual damage.</p>

<p>Magmortar pairs well with Pokemon who either defensively complement him or take advantage of the large holes Magmortar can punch into the opposing team. Toxicroak makes a great partner to Magmortar, as he can come in on Water-type attacks directed at Magmortar, set up Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, and attempt to sweep. Thanks to his typing and ability, Toxicroak can also come in on numerous priority attacks, such as Aqua Jet or Mach Punch, which greatly threaten Magmortar. Physical variants of Toxicroak often lure in Will-O-Wisp users, such as Spiritomb, whom Magmortar can freely switch into. Due to his ability to eliminate bulky Waters with Thunderbolt, Magmortar can open up opportunities for Pokemon such as Rock Polish Rhyperior to sweep. Rhyperior can also come in on Thunder Wave from defensive Pokemon who Magmortar cannot OHKO, such as Uxie, and then proceed to set up the following turn. As mentioned in the previous paragraph, Rapid Spin support greatly aids Magmortar by getting rid of entry hazards, which hinder his survivability. The two Rapid Spinners who have the greatest synergy with Magmortar are Claydol and Blastoise. Claydol can switch into Gound-type attacks aimed at Magmortar, spin away entry hazards, and then proceed to set up entry hazards of its own. Blastoise also makes a great partner to Magmortar because he can come in on Water attacks as well as Arcanine, who threatens Magmortar with his powerful priority attack, ExtremeSpeed.</p>
Nice work!

Helix said:
Draco, you used your possesive rule incorrectly. It should be "its" and not "it's".
As I clearly said, "its" denotes possession, whereas "it's" is a contraction for "it is." Are you trying to point out an individual mistake I made? If so, please don't be so ambiguous. Posts like yours are rather unhelpful to members of the GP team and the writer of the analysis.

breh

強いだね
<p>Fire Blast is Magmortar's main attacking move, and OHKOes or 2HKOes anyone who any Pokemon who doesn't resist it. Thunderbolt is an ideal move on Magmortar, as it OHKOes Moltres and gives Magmortar an excellent tool to hurt bulky Waters Water-types with. The third slot is chosen based on personal preference. Hidden Power Grass is usually the more reliable option because it allows Magmortar to hit a wider range of Pokemon, including Rhyperior and the Water / Ground- (add a hyphen here) types who would otherwise wall this set. It also is Magmortar's strongest move against Lanturn. Hidden Power Ice is the other alternative; while the only notable Pokemon hit by it is Altaria, On the other hand, Hidden Power Ice hits Altaria hard while still scoring super effective hits on Ground-types(however, it doesn't OHKO Rhyperior), making it a good alternate option. However, It should be understood that Rhyperior is not OHKOed by Hidden Power Ice. The last move Lastly, Cross Chop, allows Magmortar to destroy the one special wall who would otherwise wall this set completely: Chansey. With Stealth Rock in play, Fire Blast and Cross Chop together have a high chance of 2HKOing her. Cross Chop also OHKOes Houndoom, who often tries to come in on Fire Blast, obtain a Flash Fire boost, and set up.</p>
Other paragraphs look good; though when you are talking about SR and wish support, I believe the gender should be changed to it (unsure; I really don't know wtf to do with gender really)

Hope this was of aid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)