Majors

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a freshman in college, majoring in Biochemistry. Chem has always been my favor subject and the idea of developing new drugs/medicines (or poisons!) is exciting to me. I haven't gotten over the Orgo hump yet but I'm not struggling at all so far which is good I guess!

I'm also minoring in General Psychology, which I should be able to complete by the end of next year (taking Personality and Abnormal Psych). I don't know how much this minor would help me ever, but being that Biochem has a huge amount of credit requirements I couldn't minor in something too big or I'd have to take a fifth year.

I am duel majoring. My first major is in Illustration and Digital Media. I have my Bachelor of Fine Arts already, I just basically have to walk (I finished in December, and don't walk till May).

My second major is in Art Education, which is basically just teaching, with a little bit more emphasis on art. I had to go through child psychology, literature training (how to help kids absorb what you teach), and overall speech classes.

I also had a whole lot of focus on philosophy and psychology/sociology (more specifically, psychology of human perception, cultural semiotics, and why we think things when we see things), as since I was duel majoring with 6 years of college I had to take a lot of credits, and focused a lot on that.

I am considering picking up a third major in which can utilize these credits. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm senior at highschool and I'm already accepted to my college and going to take Animation as my major. Leaning more toward 2D stuff and working in storyboarding.
The school is awesome as it has a great Arts program, has had many successfull graduates in my field, about an hour away, and really cheap.
Might consider minoring in Psych because I think the mind is cool but unsure of what I would use it for in the future.
I have been at an art school for 5 years. I hate to jump in and be like "well actuallyyyyyyy," but I feel like I should warn you? Maybe its not necessary, and maybe people have other experiences.

Anyways, from how I see it at my school and their animation department (which is pretty damn big), 2D is... not... its good but everything is more so focusing on 3d animation now, although there are a few odd birds out who are absolutely awesome at 2d. BUT, as you say you want to do more story boarding, I suggest you move towards illustration more with an animation minor. I only say this because illustrators are the jack of all trades who focus a million times more on drawing than most other majors (except possibly industrial design). That being said, most illustrators who move in and minor in animation rock it like crazy, and get more jobs as storyboarders. At least this is from what I know.

Then again, and this is where I was about to hold my tongue... It really depends how strong of an animation/illustration department you have.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I graduated with a business degree specializing in accounting with a minor in American History (lol, wat?).

I was a history major, then did a radical about-face and switched to accounting. Got a job as an accountant and I haven't looked back since.

Currently in my freshman year and I'll be majoring in mechanical engineering with a minor in Russian. It was a toss up between either mechanical or aeronautical engineering, but I decided that the broader, more generalized mechanical engineering would be better suited for undergrad.

Russian is a language I've always found interesting, so I jumped at the opportunity to minor in it.

I took 18 credits last semester and am taking 19 this semester, probably the least I'll be taking during my four years here.

Last edited:
Currently in my freshman year at USNA and I'll be majoring in mechanical engineering with a minor in Russian. It was a toss up between either mechanical or aeronautical engineering, but I decided that the broader, more generalized mechanical engineering would be better suited for undergrad.

Russian is a language I've always found interesting, so I jumped at the opportunity to minor in it.

I took 18 credits last semester and am taking 19 this semester, probably the least I'll be taking during my four years here.

I have always wanted to learn Russian. I hope soon some day I will have the real heavy handed motivation I need to learn it. Are you liking it so far?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When I was in college (__ years ago) I studied History. More specifically, my concentration was in the Civil War. I chose the major initially because I have a huge interest and love for history, especially wars. My dad had taken me to tour Civil War battlefields as a younger lad, and I had enjoyed the stories and information about them. After a while studying it I discovered that not only did I love History, but I loved sharing my knowledge and passion with others. This mindset steered me toward teaching, so Secondary Education became my minor. Ultimately, my goal became to teach History at a Community College level, which would allow me to teach high level courses without the stringent research requirements of being a university professor. I have a knack for explaining things in an easy to understand way, making whatever subject it is entertaining with my energy and charisma. All the pieces fit, so History Major/Secondary Ed Minor was the right combination.

Due to issues with my advisor, I later switched my major from History: Civil War to History: Traditional, but you get the idea.

Best advice I can give to y'all in college is this - choose a major that you enjoy. Being career minded is nice, but don't put yourself through year after year of agonizing college courses that you hate just because you want to make a ton of money in a particular career. Besides, you should be aiming for a career you enjoy anyway, so typically your major will reflect this in the first place. However, just don't make the mistake of "I'm going to major in accounting because stock brokers make a lot of money, even though I hate it".

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
However, just don't make the mistake of "I'm going to major in accounting because stock brokers make a lot of money, even though I hate it".
I somehow feel as though this was directed at my post above.. In any event, accounting majors generally suck ass as stock brokers, but yeah I get your point. I was a history major because it was always easy to me, but dealing with numbers was always more enjoyable, imo.

I have not fully decided a major yet but am leaning towards Chemistry, posibly biochem. I love science in general, and I just find Chem more fun than most other sciences such as Physics. Biology is also great, which is why I'm considering biochem. I'm going for a minor in Spanish, that is if it doesn't turn into a double major which is a possibility. Currently I'm a freshman at the Univerisity of Minnesota (let me know if you go there also!).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I somehow feel as though this was directed at my post above.. In any event, accounting majors generally suck ass as stock brokers, but yeah I get your point. I was a history major because it was always easy to me, but dealing with numbers was always more enjoyable, imo.
Oh no no I actually wasn't referring to your post at all, I was just using a random example of a major I (no offense) personally consider boring lol. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that love accounting. I was just trying to illustrate the point that you should never sacrifice your happiness just to make more money. Extra money won't make you feel better if you loathe your job. Not to mention college itself should be enjoyable because it's pretty much the last years you'll be able to live without a whole lot of real responsibility.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Out of interest, where did you study? Provided I achieve the grades, I will be starting my MPhys at Nottingham in September. Some of the reasons you picked Physics seem pretty similar (if not the same) to mine really, just in the present not past. I too almost picked Mathematics but avoided it because I was worried that it wouldn't be as interesting as a Physics degree. Sometimes I still question whether it's a Physics degree that I really want to be doing, but with fees going up next year I think I will stick with it. I do enjoy it a lot, and it's probably just me worrying that it won't be very good.
Imperial, where I'm still studying. Nottingham was nice when I went there and I would've seriously considered it had I not been brainwashed into the mentality of going to the best university possible. It's important to get into a good university but also to be happy there, although you can't really know this until you're actually there.

I did a double degree, Science and Law, at the University of Sydney. I graduated from the BSc. the year before last after doing an Honours year, majoring in physics.

Specifically, I was in what is now known as the Centre for Engineered Quantum Systems (CEQS), which is a multi-institute collaboration with special recognition from the national science funding body Australian Research Counsel (ARC).

At the time, my part was in the Mesoscopic Physics group, a subset of the Quantum department. We were basically looking at making devices that operate on the limit between classical physics and quantum mechanics, in particular quantum dot architectures on GaAs chips for quantum computing, and hyperpolarised nanodiamonds for use in Magnetic Resonance Imaging.

In law, you don't really choose a major. My interests are in Intellectual Property and Telecommunications Law, and Competition, with a small interest in taxation and mergers & acqusitions laws. I also really enjoy property law. I finish this year.

Best advice I can give to y'all in college is this - choose a major that you enjoy. Being career minded is nice, but don't put yourself through year after year of agonizing college courses that you hate just because you want to make a ton of money in a particular career. Besides, you should be aiming for a career you enjoy anyway, so typically your major will reflect this in the first place. However, just don't make the mistake of "I'm going to major in accounting because stock brokers make a lot of money, even though I hate it".
So much true.

I've known a number of people who went into Business/Commerce to study Finance and find they don't really enjoy it, and wish they had done science instead, but didn't because they thought there was no money in it.

One of the professors at my university, a man named Joss Bland-Hawthorn, gets paid enough that he owns a house in the most expensive suburb in Sydney, two boats, and had free business class travel all around the world to give guest lectures on Galactic Dynamics and Astrophotonics (the use of photonics to make superior filters for radio telescopes at a fraction of the cost).

There is definitely money in (technical) science, if you're good at it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)