Programming Mass Damage Calculators

it really looks nice, but i'm not able to open the link. neither with chrome, nor with firefox.

Whats wrong?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This is an incredible calculator. One question though: is there any way to get it offline? for example there's an old IV calc I used to use that was contained in one page so you could use it offline. Is there a way to download this calc?

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pretty big behind-the-scenes update: I've updated the calculator to use the complete BW damage formula, so everything should now be 100% accurate to the actual cartridges, down to the last point of damage. I had to rewrite a lot of the code, which means it's possible some new typos slipped in there, so let me know if you see anything wonky in your calcs! Huge thanks to Xfr, Bond697, Kaphotics, and V4Victini for their work researching the damage formula and explaining it so thoroughly.

In a slightly more visible change, I also took the opportunity to add a few new variables, particularly for 2v2 players. Damage reduction for spread moves in doubles, Reflect/Light Screen's reduced effectiveness in doubles, Helping Hand, critical hits, and a couple other things that I can't recall at the moment have been added to the equation.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is an incredible calculator. One question though: is there any way to get it offline? for example there's an old IV calc I used to use that was contained in one page so you could use it offline. Is there a way to download this calc?
Go to the calculator page and hit Ctrl + S. Make sure you're saving it as a "Web page, complete". It'll save the page and associated scripts and you can run it offline through your browser pretty smoothly.
And yeah, this calculator is pretty awesome. I hear that it's not as good for Little Cup, though? Not sure exactly why. Little Cup damage is really weird x.x

rapid spin is not available either. I know it is pretty much never needed for a damage calcualtoion but it would be nice for completion

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In a slightly more visible change, I also took the opportunity to add a few new variables, particularly for 2v2 players. Damage reduction for spread moves in doubles, Reflect/Light Screen's reduced effectiveness in doubles, Helping Hand, critical hits, and a couple other things that I can't recall at the moment have been added to the equation.
That's awesome!

This is really an awesome and helpful program. I like it a lot :)

On the offensive calculator, I'd suggest extending the space where it displays the Damage for the "best move" a little bit, as if the minimum amount for damage output is above 1000% (Crazy stuff near the bottom like CB Medicham vs Sneasel), then it takes two lines to display the damage. (The calc was 1086.85 - 1281.27%)

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i once calced lv100 252+ choice band pure power fire-type deoxys-A using v-create in sun at +6 attack, on a lvl one 0- snover at -6 defense. the damage was nothing short of lunacy. i shall edit in the percentage later for those curious; it was at least a seven digit percentage. iirc i think it's the highest my friend and i were able to find. we got close with a few others, like solar power blast burn off the same deoxys with specs and +6 spatk, 252+ spatk etc, but nothing was as high. in fact, the same vcreate as above, but without the fire type (so you lose stab), was still stronger than the stabbed blast burn (because of more base power, and the advantage of pure power - double - over solar power - 1.5x). in some circumstances, you can get higher percentages if you calc against shedinja (obvious reasons), but the actual numeric damage dealt was higher on snover (again, for obvious reasons)

anyway i'd say this calc is nearly perfect, probably the best one out there. the only thing i find myself wishing it had was a reverse/swap button so i could compare obscure sets without having to manually reenter them all. everything else i can think of is already there

EDIT: whoa, i just realized my calc was not the strongest ever. i forgot to give snover dry skin. brb calcing again
EDIT: okay so level 100 deoxys-A, fire type for STAB, ability is pure power, in sun, 252 attack EVs, 31 attack IVs and adamant nature, @ choice band, with +6 attack boosts, uses v-create on a level 1 snover, ability is dry skin, 0 defense EVs, 0 defense IVs and hasty nature, @ no item (but only occa would really have an effect on the calcs), with -6 defense drops. the attack does not crit. this deals a glorious 8,744,512-10,287,664 (8.7 million to 10.3 million) damage, or 72,870,933.33-85,730,533.33 (72.9 to 85.7 million) percent. and for what it's worth, if we replaced snover with a shedinja (otherwise everything is the same), it takes 4,372,256-5,143,832 (4.4 to 5.1 million) damage. that's roughly half as much - no surprise there - but that adds up to a titanic percentage of 437,225,600 - 514,383,200 (437.2 to 514.4 million) percent.

anyway sorry if this is off topic but cmon guys, these calcs are crazy awesome

EDIT: that friend of mine was reading around and noticed a discussion on PO about shuckle with power trick, on its fifth shot of rollout (base power of 30*16 = 480). could probably hit harder. time to investigate!
i couldn't figure out whether rollout is affected by metronome or not, so let's take power tricked shuckle, cb pure power, 252+ EV and 31 IV at +6 attack. it's on the fifth shot of rollout - 480 power. it attacks a level 1 hasty ledyba with -6 defense, 0 EV and 0 IV. 15150972-17824672 (137736109.09 - 162042472.72%). OH yeah.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is an awesome calculator- the best I've seen. I haven't noticed any bugs so far, but I do have an idea that I would like to see: in the 1v1 Calculator, make the option of switching the attacker and defender sets- so that we don't have to manually switch them. I know, it's a bit selfish to ask that but it would make calculating much faster and easier. Other than that, I find this calculator very useful. Great job!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Echoing what Electrolyte said. Many times when you want to see if your poke can take an attack, you also need to check how much it does back, so the switch attacker-defender option would help a lot.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Added ability to swap attacker and defender.

TODO list
-add VGC sets
-allow you to filter which sets you see on the list, so Singles/VGC/LC aren't all mashed together in one big list

-add filters for mass calc results (e.g. only show results for physical attacks, or only show results between X and Y % damage, or only show results against Pokemon that invest in defenses)
-add current HP as a parameter to make it easier to calculate moves like Water Spout and Reversal, and so impossible things like Blaze Typhlosion with max power Eruption stop showing up in the results
-make copypastable results prettier

The weather options don't seem to be working on the defensive calculator. It's treating everything like as if it's neutral weather.

Honko

he of many honks
A change I made a while ago but forgot to announce:

I added VGC sets to the calculater and split up the set lists for standard singles, VGC, and LC. There's a dropdown in the upper right that lets you choose which meta you're playing. This stops sets from completely unrelated metas from clogging up your list of options; who cares about Abra if you're playing OU, or Abomasnow if you're playing LC?

Standard singles is the default, but VGC and LC players can go straight to their metas' versions by adding ?style=vgc or ?style=lc to the end of the URL. For example:

http://honko.byethost8.com/manly_calc.html?style=vgc for VGC 1v1 calc
http://honko.byethost8.com/coverage_calc.html?style=lc for LC mass offensive calc

Enjoy!

Calcs said:
+6 252 Atk Adamant Choice Band Huge Power Deoxys-A Sacred Fire vs. 0/0/4 Lonely Wonder Guard Shedinja: 22831200 - 26860400%
That... That's beautiful. I love you so much for making this. This is the best damage calc ever.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Posting something that I saw in the copypastable results:
Cresselia (Uber Wall) (none): 0 - 0%

Honko

he of many honks
I've updated the defensive calc with a bunch fixes that I had already made for the offensive and 1v1 calcs but hadn't had time to copy over until now. This includes your issue, Furry.

I've also added a few moves that were still missing, including Fling and Natural Gift. Can Wacan Berry Natural Gift Scizor OHKO Gyarados? Does Iron Ball Fling Hitmonlee sweep through every Ghost in RU? Now you can find out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)