Mega-Evolution

Do you like Mega-Evolution?

• Yes, I love everything about it!

Votes: 114 53.5%
  • I like the majority of the designs, I just don't like the concept.

Votes: 32 15.0%
  • I like the concept, I just don't like the majority of the designs.

Votes: 46 21.6%
  • No, I don't like Mega-Evolution very much.

Votes: 21 9.9%

• Total voters

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Along with a lot of other things, Generation 6 brought with it digivolving! Mega-Evolution.

Mega-Evolution is something a total of 32 Pokémon have received. It's where a Pokémon can power up with no real cost and get a 100 stat boost to it's stats (not to each, it's distributed differently for every Pokémon, but their BST goes up by 100). You can't have more than one mega-evolution per battle, though, and it wears off after the battle is over.

The Pokémon who received mega-evolutions were based on popularity, and popularity alone. Pokémon like Blaziken, Lucario, Aggron, Gardevoir and Ampharos among others obviously got it for popularity. Pokémon such as Mawile and Banette possibly less-so, and they just got mega-evolutions because GF knew they could do something incredibly with their designs.

Mega-Evolution blew the metagame up completely and hit it by surprise. But it heavily affected in-game runs too, actually, because mega-evolving pretty much means you beat the opposing team. Lysandre and Diantha both use Mega-Evolution as well for their main Pokémon, but they don't have the best moves on them and as such tend to be fairly easy to beat. Besides those two and maybe some Elite Four members, if you have a good mega, you win against the game. This is especially apparent, because Korrina actually gives you a Lucario with Lucarionite not too far into the game. In fact, you get your second starter with their mega stone too! Venusaurite, Blastoisinite, Charizardite X (Pokémon X) or Charizardite Y (Pokémon Y) also propels mega evolution into the limelight. You can get Ampharosite, Gengarite, Aerodactylite, Mewtwonite X (Pokémon X), Mewtwonite Y (Pokémon Y) and Abomasite are all also available before post-game, by talking to NPCs or finding it in the Unknown Dungeon area for the Mewtwonite stones. This means that there is also plenty of variety for mega-evolution should you choose to use it in your run.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire will also have new Mega-Evolutions. We already know of Mega-Swampert, Mega-Sceptile, Mega-Diancie and Mega-Sableye. It seems like the Pokémon who will receive Mega-Evolutions in these upcoming games will indeed be from Generation 3 originally, unless it's a special case, like Diancie, as she is Generation 6. Please don't speculate on future Mega-Evolutions though. Not without some proper literal evidence, anyway.

So... enjoy! ^_^

I need to stop making threads in Orange Islands :x

It seems like the Pokémon who will receive Mega-Evolutions in these upcoming games will indeed be from Generation 3 originally, unless it's a special case, like Diancie, as she is Generation 6.
On one hand, the majority of megas in XY were post game, so I wouldn't be too surprised if there's a few non-Hoenns, even if they aren't revealed before release.

On the other hand, all non-event megas were in the Kalos Dex so perhaps not...

Mega Roserade, Dusknoir, Froslass?

btw, I'm not sure what we could talk about on the topic other than speculating future megas.

Celever

i am town
btw, I'm not sure what we could talk about on the topic other than speculating future megas.
Things like your past experiences with megas, your favourite mega. The fairly standard stuff.

Also I only don't want speculation on future megas because it'll shut this thread down. Personally I love speculation; as long as said speculation has base.

Dirty scumbag moderators...

Tbh mega-evolution is not really the reason why XY was so easy you could run through it with your eyes closed. That was the EXP share's new mechanics.

On the competitive side, megas are a little unbalancing and most XY teams (disregarding stall) just run a Mega-evo and five Pokemon to maximise its chances of sweeping. But NU and LC are mega-free zones for those who aren't a fan.

Megas were a huge risk and I think it payed off well. It had to differentiate itself from other, similar ideas (i.e. digivolving, super saiyan(?)). And, Mega evolution did play a big part in the story in a way that felt different and satisfying.

While you do get an extra 100 BST boost to your Pokemon, you also lose out on the item slot, which can hurt. When it comes to balance, it has been proven that you don't need a Mega in order to compete and wreck shop in higher tiers. Just look on Youtube if you don't believe me. And I kind of think that GF had to make Megas a little stronger in order to get fans on board with the idea.

In-game, I think mega evolution makes the game easier, but only because you, Lysandre, and Diantha are the only ones who can use it. (Serena is post-game only, and Korrina doesn't count because the battle with her is just a tutorial). If more people could use it, it would be much more balanced and interesting. (I for one would love to see almost all of the Ace Trainers in Victory Road use it). It would also be nice if AI trainers who use megas aren't hard-coded to save them for last, but instead treat them like any other Pokemon. If I'm sweeping Diantha with a Fighting-type, she shouldn't save her Gardevoir (who would easily kill it) until all her other mons have fainted; she should bring it out immediately.

I'm not gonna touch on competitive too much because, well, this is OI, but I will say that I don't like how some megas completely outclass their base forms (Pinsir and Mawile come to mind). In my opinion, the most well-balanced mega is Garchomp: if you're running Sand, there is little reason to use regular Garchomp when Mega Garchomp effectively gets two LO boosts: one from the increased stats, and one from Sand Force. The balancing factor is Speed: If you're not running Sand, you will almost certainly want to run non-Mega Garchomp because it's faster and can hold an item. Because Garchomp and its Mega fulfill two completely different roles in battle, there is still reason to use both of them. Venusaur is another example; Mega evolution changes it from a Chlorophyll sweeper to a wall. This is unlike mons such as Mawile and Pinsir who, if they aren't mega, will give the team a place on the "Silly things you've seen on the OU ladder thread". Charizard is a special case, because although you know it will go mega, you don't know if it will be X (which changes Zard's role to a Physical attacker) or Y (which does Special attacking better). My opinion overall is that if a mega evolution sends a Pokemon from adequate to excellent (Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Blastoise, Gyarados Absol, etc), then it's okay; both are viable, especially given there's only one mega slot. But if a Mega sends a Pokemon from basement to god-tier (Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Mawile), then there is zero reason to use the base form; the Pokemon is completely eclipsed by its Mega. I feel like when you see a Pokemon that has a potential Mega in Team Preview, there should be some question to whether or not it will actually evolve.

My opinion on the designs, like everyone else's, is subjective, but I'll share some thoughts on a few choice Megas.

Venusaur: Umm... there's an extra flower on its head and one on its butt. That's it.
Charizard X: So cool. Between the black colour and the blue flames pouring out of its mouth, Megazard X is one of my favourites. The added Dragon-typing is also an answer to fanboys' cries everywhere.
Charizard Y: Bigger wings, I guess? Not as cool as Megazard X, but I guess it is more "mega", since it's literally bigger?
Alakazam: Mega evolving against a horde of Vanillite is the funniest thing ever. If you have not done it, go do it now.
Kangaskhan: Its animation is the most adorable thing ever. I also like how the parent is unchanged, while the kid gets bigger.
Gyarados: When Lysandre used it, my first thought was "It looks like an oversized carp fish". When Xerneas got SE Moonblast against it, I was excited that it too had gotten the Dragon type it desperately deserved. NOPE, it's Water/Dark. My hopes were dashed. And why does it still not get Crunch? But I digress.
Aerodactyl: I quite like it; its design personifies the "Tough Claws" ability. Except the goatee. I don't like the goatee.
Heracross: I frankly don't like it. The nose in particular is very weird, and Heracross's main ability flavour-wise (picking up foes and flinging them with the horn) just wouldn't work in Mega form.
Gardevoir: Not even gonna mention how the ballgown looks like a wedding dress. Wait, damn.
Aggron: Another very good one. Since flavour-wise Aggron is all about defense, Mega Aggron's design fits it perfectly.
Medicham: I like the idea that when Medicham mega evolves, its spirit is fully awakened, and manifests into the four ghostly arms.
Absol: Wings are awesome. 'Nuff said.
Latios and Latias: These wings, on the other hand, are slightly less awesome, mostly because they look like they'd be completely useless for actual flying.
Garchomp: I like Megachomp's gameplay the best. Its design is another story. The spikes I can handle. The blade arms I can sort of handle. But that jaw just ruins it. It just makes it look too much like a big man, and less like a dragon land shark. You just can't take it seriously.
Lucario: I'm mixed on this one. If you can't tell, Lucario is my favourite Pokemon, so when I saw the official art for Mega Luke back when Megas were announced, I thought it looked evil, which was way off, since Lucario is very noble. But actually seeing it in battle is a different story; the lore is that its aura leaked out, and I think the design shows that pretty well. I still like regular Lucario better though.
Swampert: There are a great number of "do you even lift" memes about Mega Swampert. I cannot disagree. Mega Swampert is incredibly jacked. This is just me, but I prefer Pokemon who are sleek and agile to ones with huge muscles. It doesn't exactly look aerodynamic (hydrodynamic?) either, which doesn't make a lot of sense considering Swift Swim.
Sceptile: Mega Sceptile is awesome in every way. The tail missile is the icing on the cake; I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy of Alpha Sapphire.
Sableye: I'm hoping that it will have 2 mega evolutions, but the only difference is that the big gem will be red for one and blue for the other.

The main mega I'd like to see in the future (I know you said no speculation but this is just me hoping) is Flygon; it was never top of the heap, and a Mega could boost it from meh to awesome.

EDIT: One last thing. Technically speaking, none of these are actually Mega Evolutions. The prefix "mega" means million, so an actual Mega Evolution would be 1,000,000 times bigger than its normal form. Just sayin'.

Also Celever I was wondering why you asked me about megas in IRC :P

Last edited:
EDIT: One last thing. Technically speaking, none of these are actually Mega Evolutions. The prefix "mega" means million, so an actual Mega Evolution would be 1,000,000 times bigger than its normal form. Just sayin'.
Well if you want to get pedantic, none of them are evolutions either. In fact, there is no such thing as true evolution in pokemon. True evolution is changes over time, so would only work if the breeding of two pokemon created a mutant strain that propagates into a species line.

The correct term would be metamorphosis.

To actually add to the conversation and not just be grammar police, I was skeptic but learned to like them. They play like a queen in chess, a powerful piece you have only one of and can turn a match around, but not necessarily total dominating force.

Plus outside of popular appeal, it seems to breathe life into forgotten or unusable 'mons (like Manetric, Mawile, Kangaskhan, Banette, Ampharos, Pinsir).

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think Mega Evolutions are interesting, but that's as far as I can manage to summarize it.

In-game, they make you able to roflstomp your way through any trainer you should ever come across. Unless you're severely underlevelled, or at a type disadvantage, the Mega will make short work of anything, essentially blunting the challenge of a playthrough. It's cool that some in-game trainers use them, but they could be used a little more often or more prominently, as others have said.

Competitively, they are interesting too. Now, this is Orange Islands, so I won't delve too much into it, but I feel like pointing out that the Japanese standard metagame rules seem to have incorportated a form of Megas for years. If I recall old threads about foreign metagames correctly, it seems like the Japanese rules would allow players to bring a single "Ubers" Pokémon to your team for every match. Their banlists were slightly different from ours, but the essense of it was nonetheless very much like Megas - each team could have a team member stronger than the others, capable of turning the match in a pinch.

Where Megas stick out the most for me, though, is the implications they have for the future of regular evolution, especially cross-generational evolution. Gen. IV got a lot of flak for introducing wonky new evolutions to old beloved Pokémon. Previously, the pinnacle of Magby's evolutionary line was the awesome Magmar, but the introduction of butt-ugly Magmortar made Magmar a mere transitional stage, pushing it out of the limelight. Magneton was well-loved, if a little panned for its design basically being three Magnemite (although early art showed it with different proportions, though this seems to have been retconned away recently), and decent competitively, but the introduction of Magnezone meant Magneton was not the end-product of capturing a Magnemite any more. Magnezone is also a very ugly design, and it's pushing Magneton down from the pinnacle spot. While many of the Pokémon needed an upgrade in Gen. IV, and evolutions made a few previously obsolete Pokémon worth catching again, opinions were split on whether or not the new evolutions were a good idea.
For instance: Say I like Swinub and Piloswine, and think they would be cool to have on my team, but also that Mamoswine looks like a joke and has no nostalgia factor for me, whatsoever. Of course, not evolving Piloswine is always an option, but that means not realizing the full potential of that Swinub I caught. Also, Piloswine isn't that strong; Mamoswine brings a lot more power to the table, making it more useful against late-game trainers. It keeps Swinub relevant all the way to the end-game, to an extent that Piloswine can't match. If you want Swinub to become something powerful and useful, you have to go for Mamoswine. Bye-bye, belowed Piloswine, it was nice to have you around for... five levels or so.

Mega-evolution, however, seems to address the power/relevancy issue without touching the Pokémon in the limelight. You like Absol and wish to use it competitively/against strong end-game trainers? Well, Absol in itself is too weak and frail, and wouldn't be suitable for the task on its own. Still, now you can. Mega Evolution makes Absol as strong as an evolved Pokémon, but without evolving away from Absol. It's a new design, more powerful, different ability, but it's still Absol, and after battle it will revert back to the Absol design you know and love. Evolution without losing the base form.

However, even though the designs take some getting used to, I'm still all for cross-generational evolutions. It's a great way to make old Pokémon relevant again, and although it's a little hit-and-miss with the designs, I generally like the concept. It revitalizes old designs, and makes you view some evolution families in a wholly new light. Placing a better Pokémon at the pinnacle.

However, what I see as a derpy, should-have-been-transitional Pokémon, other people have fond memories they really wouldn't want GameFreak to downgrade. Thus, Mega Evolution is a safer card to play, and I think that Sylveon for the foreseeable future will be the last cross-generational evolution - and a branched one, at that. Say, if GameFreak ever feels like upgrading Maractus, don't expect them to give it the Roselia treatment with a full evolution family. Instead, prepare for another 'mon along the vein of Sableye or Pinsir. Jokémon becoming Strongmon, but only temporarily, via Mega Evolution. I think it's a bit of a loss. Imagine if Scizor was merely Mega Scyther. No dreaded Choice Band set, or a Steel movepool for that matter. No moves Scyther couldn't learn. And of course, no Mega Scizor the way we see it today.

Mega Evolution might appear to bring what is essentially new Pokémon to the game without tampering with the old ones, but in reality, they don't. Mega Evolutions are less than a full evolution, they have no proper backstory to be alluded to in Pokédex entries. No exclusive moves their base forms can't learn. And of course, they cap off the evolution line, eventually sealing it off from further development. The Porygon line, for instance, got TWO new members over the generations, still with the possibility of getting a Mega. Had GameFreak decided to give Porygon a Mega from the beginning, the Porygon line would forever only have one member, and the Mega would have to improve on the crappy stats of Porygon, instead of playing with the monstrosity that is Porygon-Z. Mega Porygon would have a BST of 495 to play for relevancy on the Mega scene, whereas Mega Porygon-Z would have 635. I hope GameFreak decide not to hand out Megas too liberally, so that in the future, there's still room in some evolution lines to add new members. They can't pull a Mawile with every new Mega, not all bottom-of-the-barrel Pokémon can be made as relevant as those with BSTs on par with Legendaries. Up the BST a little before going Mega, however, and the two play on a much more level field...

I like it. Most of the designs are pretty cool, Mega Mewtwo Y aside, (I can't argue about its sheer power, I just don't like the design of it) and can open up some interesting new strategies. However, I can see the other side of the argument in that the once useless one stage Pokemon will never have new proper evolutions once given this treatment. That's unfortunate, but I kind of think Game Freak is done with making new evolutions to existing Pokemon not named Eevee. They'll probably keep making new Eeveelutions every now and again until they've covered every type there is, including any new ones they may come up with.

Still, I'd prefer they don't get too generous in giving Mega Evolutions out...

Yeah, I would prefer it if Mega Evolution is still somewhat rare and mysterious, i.e. not everything gets a Mega... But that is just me.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
(Celever you need to stop forgetting to enable viewing of who voted for what :P)

Anyway, option 2 fits my opinion perfectly. When I first heard about Mega Evolution I thought it was really silly and even thought it was a joke at first. I still think it is a silly idea but a lot of the designs are cool so I enjoy it. Some of the designs look terrible (I think Mega Blastoise is and always will be stupid-looking) but you get that with any new Pokemon, and as long as some of them are cool, it's worth it to me. Mega Venusaur is awesome, both Mega Charizards are awesome, Mega Aggron is awesome, Mega Gardevoir is awesome, Mega Sceptile is awesome, and a bunch of the others are awesome.

Yeah, I would prefer it if Mega Evolution is still somewhat rare and mysterious, i.e. not everything gets a Mega... But that is just me.
This is a problem I have been worrying about for a while...it is sort of how people were worrying that GameFreak would eventually run out of designs for Pokemon as the series continued to go on. Granted, there are not nearly as many Mega Pokemon introduced per generation as there are new Pokemon, but I think eventually it's going to become very mundane and commonplace.

When I first heard about it, I was...what's the word...I don't know how to word it. But it wasn't positive. It wasn't negative either.
When I played the game and I got my Mega Lucario and my Mega Blastoise, I started to enjoy it.
Over all, I think it is a great concept and has helped some Pokémon a lot. I feel some maybe should have gotten normal evolutions, but some I'm fine with (I love having both Intimidate and Huge Power on Mega Mawile). The general design of the changes that are made and the requirements (No held item, 100+BST, only one Mega Evolution per side per battle) just works. I do think that some were a bit pointless and didn't need to be (hello Mega Mewtwo!). And I still don't like how Mewtwo and Charizard got two Megas (it just feels weird). I am a bit concerned that they will add way too many Megas in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. I think just a few more this generation to help a few weaker Pokémon and to more evenly distribute Megas between the Hoenn games.
Also, as with all Pokémon, some designs are good and some are bad:
Good:
Scizor
Charizard-Y
Gengar (They took my favorite Pokémon and made it even cooler)
Blaziken (It took the basic design for Blaziken and made it work for me)
Mawile
Banette

Bad:
Blastoise (I don't like the wrist cannons nor the modifications to the face)
Mewtwo-X (While some Megas are not much different from their normal forms, this one is the worst in my opinion)
Tyranitar
Manectric
Medicham

Everything else is neutral to me (though I do have fondness for Mega Amphy).

Bad:
Blastoise (I don't like the wrist cannons nor the modifications to the face)
Mewtwo-X (While some Megas are not much different from their normal forms, this one is the worst in my opinion)
Tyranitar
Manectric
Medicham

Everything else is neutral to me (though I do have fondness for Mega Amphy).
No way, Mega Manectric is very cool-looking. It's a giant lightning bolt!

Also, feeding off of what someone had mentioned about Mawile having both Intimidate and then Huge Power upon Mega Evolving, I think it's really cool to have a Pokemon that can use 2 different abilities in one battle. I use Mega Manectric quite a lot, and when you are able to switch regular Manectric in on an electric-type move for a Lightning Rod boost, and then Mega Evolve to lower your opponent's attack with Intimidate, it really gives you momentum. Also, Mega Sableye is going to be able to utilize Prankster until it mega-evolves with Magic Bounce, causing some mind games. Absol is like the ultimate Knock Off absorber, since it resists it, doesn't get its item knocked off, and gets an attack boost (Justified). Granted, some Pokemon don't get to use their base-form abilities before they Mega Evolve (see Blaze Charizard or pretty much anything Aerodactyl has), but being able to OHKO Rotom-wash with a +2 Earthquake from Mold Breaker Pinsir before you Mega Evolve is quite nice.

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Also, feeding off of what someone had mentioned about Mawile having both Intimidate and then Huge Power upon Mega Evolving, I think it's really cool to have a Pokemon that can use 2 different abilities in one battle. I use Mega Manectric quite a lot, and when you are able to switch regular Manectric in on an electric-type move for a Lightning Rod boost, and then Mega Evolve to lower your opponent's attack with Intimidate, it really gives you momentum. Also, Mega Sableye is going to be able to utilize Prankster until it mega-evolves with Magic Bounce, causing some mind games. Absol is like the ultimate Knock Off absorber, since it resists it, doesn't get its item knocked off, and gets an attack boost (Justified).
I agree, I definitely like the mind games you can do with that. Another example you didn't mention that is sort of in the Mawile camp is Gyarados. It's pretty useful in its regular form and can use Intimidate. It also gets really annoying as you never really know if it's safe to use Bug or Fighting attacks on it.

Granted, some Pokemon don't get to use their base-form abilities before they Mega Evolve (see Blaze Charizard or pretty much anything Aerodactyl has), but being able to OHKO Rotom-wash with a +2 Earthquake from Mold Breaker Pinsir before you Mega Evolve is quite nice.
It is kind of unfortunate that a lot of Pokemon are only useful in the Mega form, but it does show how Mega Evolution was such a godsend; it turned extremely bad Pokemon into top picks for a team without having to do something like a major BST "retcon".

It is kind of unfortunate that a lot of Pokemon are only useful in the Mega form, but it does show how Mega Evolution was such a godsend; it turned extremely bad Pokemon into top picks for a team without having to do something like a major BST "retcon".
I don't know why this is a good thing per se. Why should we expect or even want every Pokemon to be competitively viable? I'm sure there are plenty of lower-tier players out there who have been a little disappointed that they can no longer use their favourite Pokemon in their favourite tier due to it getting a shiny new Mega and snapped up by OU as a result.

I don't know why this is a good thing per se. Why should we expect or even want every Pokemon to be competitively viable? I'm sure there are plenty of lower-tier players out there who have been a little disappointed that they can no longer use their favourite Pokemon in their favourite tier due to it getting a shiny new Mega and snapped up by OU as a result.
For those players who felt that their first Pokémon who eventually becomes a badass fire-breathing dragon being competitively unviable wasn't right I guess.

For those players who felt that their first Pokémon who eventually becomes a badass fire-breathing dragon being competitively unviable wasn't right I guess.
That's the whole point in the Smogon tiering system. Every Pokemon pretty much is viable in one tier or another, unless your favourite Pokemon is Bibarel or something.

EDIT: That's another reason I'm not a fan of Megas to be honest. It's like GameFreak are saying to Smogon "How dare you declare this fan favourite competitively unviable! What gives you the authority (outside of a huge community of dedicated players and tens of thousans of man-hours of playtesting) to make these judgements? Well we'll show you. We'll make these guys so powerful you will have no choice but to agree that Charizard is as good as we intended him to be."

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
I agree with noobcubed, actually. It's an interesting concept, but things like Mega-Mawile, Mega-Gengar, Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Alakazam, Mega-Gardevoir, Mega-Medicham, Mega-Absol, Mega-Abomasnow and, above all, Mega-Banette would all really work better as a new Pokémon entirely. For things like Mega-Aerodactyl where they threw a few spikes on it it doesn't work as well, but the Pokémon listed above all truly look like they could be brand new Pokémon altogether.

What I don't understand is why Smogon doesn't keep the Mega Stones for a certain Pokémon in OU, allowing the base forms of said Pokémon into the lower tiers...

I agree with noobcubed, actually. It's an interesting concept, but things like Mega-Mawile, Mega-Gengar, Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Alakazam, Mega-Gardevoir, Mega-Medicham, Mega-Absol, Mega-Abomasnow and, above all, Mega-Banette would all really work better as a new Pokémon entirely. For things like Mega-Aerodactyl where they threw a few spikes on it it doesn't work as well, but the Pokémon listed above all truly look like they could be brand new Pokémon altogether.

What I don't understand is why Smogon doesn't keep the Mega Stones for a certain Pokémon in OU, allowing the base forms of said Pokémon into the lower tiers...
I agree that this should be done as it would add more diversity to lower tiers. I'm guessing the difficulty is in the fact that usage determines a Pokémon's tier and it's hard to separate the Megas from the non-Megas.

EDIT: That's another reason I'm not a fan of Megas to be honest. It's like GameFreak are saying to Smogon "How dare you declare this fan favourite competitively unviable! What gives you the authority (outside of a huge community of dedicated players and tens of thousans of man-hours of playtesting) to make these judgements? Well we'll show you. We'll make these guys so powerful you will have no choice but to agree that Charizard is as good as we intended him to be."
I think that's rather harsh. It's probably more like "Well, people like Charizard, but no one uses him. Let's make him stronger!" Or even more likely: "We have this new concept called Mega Evolutions. What Pokémon should we give them to? I know, the original starters! That will make fans interested and happy!"

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
I agree that this should be done as it would add more diversity to lower tiers. I'm guessing the difficulty is in the fact that usage determines a Pokémon's tier and it's hard to separate the Megas from the non-Megas.
Well they can just count the amount of items a certain Pokémon is holding. They do it for the more detailed stats anyway; this time the more detailed stats will actually be dependant on tiering, too!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Considering this is Orange Islands Celever, we don't really care about that anyway. But yes, as the point stands, you cannot use a mega without its base form. So they are ranked on said base form. It's too complex otherwise.

On the subject at hand: I didn't use a Mega evo until my *third* playthrough of XY. I didn't see the point in it. What with the lack of trainers with 4+ Pokemon (They can be counted on fingers), Megas are just not really all that useful when you have to sit through an animation everytime you want to battle with them.

As a concept, I think it's good because it allows them to breathe life back into pokemon who may or may not have had their hayday. I tried using a Mawile back in Gen 3 and it was awful, with the changes to Physical/Special and a mega I might be tempted to train one again sometime. Megas are an entirely ignorable aspect to ingame runs, infact I think I've only used Mega Blastoise at all so far. Even then I wasn't all that impressed!

I wouldnt be surprised if ORAS introduces some Gen 2/Gen 5 megas. :o

As a concept, I think it's good because it allows them to breathe life back into pokemon who may or may not have had their hayday. I tried using a Mawile back in Gen 3 and it was awful, with the changes to Physical/Special and a mega I might be tempted to train one again sometime.
It's worth it. I have two, personally.

Megas are an entirely ignorable aspect to ingame runs, infact I think I've only used Mega Blastoise at all so far. Even then I wasn't all that impressed!
The main problem is that Mega Blastoise's ability is near useless for playthroughs as it can only learn one move that works with it through level up: Water Pulse. To get Aura Sphere and Dark Pulse, you have to breed it.

I would be surprised about Gen V Megas since they did say they wanted only older Pokémon to get Mega Evolutions. True, Diancie is getting one, but that might just be more on a promotional point of view (I also wouldn't be surprised about Mega Zygarde for Pokémon Z. Or Mega Zygarde X and Mega Zygarde Y for Pokémon X2 and Pokémon Y2).

I like mega evolution in general but still want regular evolutions for old mons. I'm one of those weirdos who loved the pokemon introduced in gen4 and the fact that i might not get more togekiss-like mons makes me sad. I won't mind if skarmory gets a mega but quilfish would be better off with a regular evo.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Considering this is Orange Islands Celever, we don't really care about that anyway. But yes, as the point stands, you cannot use a mega without its base form. So they are ranked on said base form. It's too complex otherwise.

On the subject at hand: I didn't use a Mega evo until my *third* playthrough of XY. I didn't see the point in it. What with the lack of trainers with 4+ Pokemon (They can be counted on fingers), Megas are just not really all that useful when you have to sit through an animation everytime you want to battle with them.

As a concept, I think it's good because it allows them to breathe life back into pokemon who may or may not have had their hayday. I tried using a Mawile back in Gen 3 and it was awful, with the changes to Physical/Special and a mega I might be tempted to train one again sometime. Megas are an entirely ignorable aspect to ingame runs, infact I think I've only used Mega Blastoise at all so far. Even then I wasn't all that impressed!

They better give Gen 5 some Megas. It's odd that the Famistu (is that how you spell it?) critical darling didn't get any MEvos and fucking Diancie gets one before even being released. WTF?

Anyway, I like the concept as a whole, even if some of the designs leave something to be desired. I'm actually surprised how well balanced GF made them (for the most part) by removing their ability to use items while still making them competitively relevant with their BST boosts and abilities. IIRC no Mega's bas form is NU and there's only 2 in RU.

Hulavuta

And on the opposite side, I'm sure there are higher tier players who are glad they can use the Pokemon (in some form) in higher tier matches, or even matches that don't use Smogon rules where people are just using the best Pokemon. It will always be a matter of preference. I did say it was a godsend (referring to the Pokemon itself) but didn't really mean to imply it was a good or bad decision, because every decision is going to have some people who think it's bad and some who think it's good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)