ORAS OU Mega Latias + Baton Pass = Scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Introduction: Hey everyone, my name is Argue. This is my first ORAS RMT. To begin, ORAS is on its way and of course we'll all experience a new meta. Due to new threats and moves, I realized there has to be a way to get fast sweeps. So, I considered the almighty Baton Pass strategy.

General Game Plan:

1. Lead off with Whimsicott, use tailwind, then cast memento.
2. Bring in Mew, set both screens, then use Explosion.
3. Safely bring in Smeargle, use geomancy, cotton guard after, then baton pass to mega latias.
4. Mega Latias sets up a sub on her first turn, then sweeps with stored power.

Summary: The game plan however, is tough to achieve. There are certain situations that deem this arrangement useless. So, we have team members to help build a foundation, and help achieve winning success.

ORAS BATON PASS TEAM

Whimsicott
(F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Encore
- Memento
- Tailwind​

Summary: Whimsicott is here to set up tailwind, so Mew is fast enough to set up screens. She carries taunt to help prevent potential sweepers or hazards when the moment presents itself. Encore is there to take advantage of a stealth rock user or substitute user. After I use tailwind, I cast memento to lower my foe's stats. This allows Mew to stomach some hits better.

Mew @ Light Clay
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Explosion​

Summary: Mew is here to set up both screens. Reflect helps take less damage from physical hits, while light screen helps take less damage from special hits. I have taunt so i can stop other mons from taunting me or phasing me out, or especially using defog. When tailwind is up, Mew is guaranteed to get both screens up. I have explosion so I can damage any mon in front of me. Usually, my opponent, switches out their taunted mon, I then use explosion on their greninja, and greninja gets wrecked. So, explosion is there to hit some frail mons hard. it's also there to get smeargle in safely.

Smeargle (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Def / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Cotton Guard
- Taunt
- Baton Pass​

Summary: Smeargle carries Power Herb to excuse the two turn set up. EVs help ensure good speed and defenses to stomach weakened hits from memento victims, especially with screens active. Cotton Guard is so good, it raises my defenses to 2.5x. Just enough to take some attacks like brave bird and +2 frustration from Pinsir (screens up so to speak). I have taunt so i can stop mons from phasing me out, like skarm. One of my biggest threats are breloom. I've faced a lot of brelooms and they love to spore. I use taunt to be safe. I also have taunt so no other mon can taunt me. The only major mon who shuts down my operation is Prankster Thundurus. Finally, I baton pass great boosts to Mega Latias.

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost​

Summary: Mega Latias. This thing is amazing. The boosts to its defenses stats are godly. My bold nature helps me stomach super effective hits like knock off and outrage. But, I eat up more hits when I'm boosted from Smeargle. I come in, use a substitute to survive crits from mons. I also have substitute so I don't get hit with toxic, para, burn. Calm mind helps me boost my stats even further. After one calm mind, plus my boosts from smeargle, helps stored power OHKO everything, minus dark types. Stored Power is truly great and with Mega Latias, it's even better. I have roost so i can get 50% of my health back, when it is truly needed.​

Xatu (M) Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 224 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Stored Power
- Miracle Eye
- Roost​

Summary: Xatu is my back up stored power user. Sometimes, in battles, the opponent just has so many counters and threats. These include Heatran, whirlwind Skarm, Spore Breloom, etc. So, Xatu is here for its handy Magic Bounce. Just when the opponent tries to roar me out, I bounce it back with magic bounce. My EV's help me live some hits when I baton pass to Xatu and screens are up. Now, I have miracle power for a reason. I used to use Espeon but i still was losing 1V1 against the likes of ttar, bisharp, sableye, etc. Dazzling gleam didn't do enough, or HP fighting. Miracle Eye gets interesting. Miracle Eye allows me to hit dark types with psychic attacks. So, when the opponent sends out their dark types thinking they'll wall me, they don't. Now they have to face getting 2HKO or OHKO from stored power or sending in a mon to sack. I gain the momentum and advantage. This is why I am using Xatu. I have roost to recover up my health when it need be.

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Memento​

Summary: I have Dugtrio for two mons only. Ttar and Bisharp. My focus sash allows me to OHKO bisharp. As for Ttar, it allows me to take him out with earthquake, which usually is a 2HKO. I have pursuit just in case the lat twins get reckless. I have stone edge for flying types, but they still switch out since they're immune to ground. I have it just in case I can 1v1 tflame. Finally, if the opponent breaks my sash and I have nothing for them, I use memento to drop their stats, and bring in a mon so they can better take a hit or force a switch.

Conclusion: This is my team. It's not perfect and sometimes it's a huge gimmick because advanced players know how to play around it. So far, I'm at 1300. Haven't had time to ladder but so far, OK. I'd like if I can get some suggestions to help improve this team and its glory. Some people hate Baton Pass, but it truly is an amazing strategy that takes away people's souls haha.

Shout-outs/Credits: I want to thank and give credit to Dennisses, WebBrowser, and PokeAim. These players inspired me to make this team. I'll admit some of these sets here mirror their sets but it works and they are the true pioneers behind the baton pass. Thank you for inspiring me!

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why mew over azelf? Sableye and bisharp are big threat for this team. Moves like dragon tail or circle throw break the chain (carry spore over taunt on smeargle imo). Also mega hera could be a problem. No boosted xatu do nothing and you waste a turn for miracle eye.

Aim? thanks for what? he don't like BP

Why mew over azelf? Sableye and bisharp are big threat for this team. Moves like dragon tail or circle throw break the chain (carry spore over taunt on smeargle imo). Also mega hera could be a problem. No boosted xatu do nothing and you waste a turn for miracle eye.

Aim? thanks for what? he don't like BP
Mew has more bulk and does the same job as aself.

Mew uses reflect and light screen, can use taunt, and then use expolosion. Mew has better bulk that's why I like mew more, and mew is unpredictable. Also, I don't like getting taunted on smeargle.

I don't like spore because of breloom and any grass types. They ruin the chain.

I'm giving credit to aim for the latias set. I saw his YouTube showcasing mega latias and I took that set from there.

One thing tho, haven't encountered dragon tail or circle throw yet so if I do I probably lost. Also, red card is a problem.

My biggest issue is crits omg they're the worst. Especially haze users and amoongus.

Also once XATU has stats from smeargle and screens up he hits a lot of things hard. I only use XATU when I see my opponent with 3 plus dark type mons.

Mega latias is my preferred sweeper but xatu is plan B

Last edited:

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
you didnt have to post this rmt because people can use my original team and replace gothitelle with latias. you dont need dugtrio because you can beat ttar and bisharp without it. latias doesnt need calm mind and if your opponent has one single dark type pokemon your latias is not going to sweep, try surf/stored power/roost/substitute. xatu is 100% outclassed by espeon because the later has superior speed, special attack and special defense (miracle eye is not good, specially against high level players). mew is 100% outclassed by azelf because mew is too fucking slow, Azelf is also immune to ground and has a stronger explosion.

Aim's hated motivated him to use the team even more lol.
Most likely it was where he saw the mega latias spreed, even though people like daftmau5 ran it before him.
you didnt have to post this rmt because people can use my original team and replace gothitelle with latias. you dont need dugtrio because you can beat ttar and bisharp without it. latias doesnt need calm mind and if your opponent has one single dark type pokemon your latias is not going to sweep, try surf/stored power/roost/substitute. xatu is 100% outclassed by espeon because the later has superior speed, special attack and special defense (miracle eye is not good, specially against high level players). mew is 100% outclassed by azelf because mew is too fucking slow, Azelf is also immune to ground and has a stronger explosion.
You're the originator. Can'targue there. Thanks. I like the latias set and changes.

So, I played some battles today hoping to find a team with at least 2+ dark type pokemon.

I came across a team (low ladder) with Mega Gyara, Greninja, and Weavile.

Miracle eye worked twice for me against gyarados and weavile.

However, Xatu has abysmal special defenses. He can't survive long or stomach hits as I would like, experience from testing.

Here's one replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180191070

It's not the greatest game play, just showcasing miracle eye. Still going with Denis suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muk

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
Mew has more bulk and does the same job as aself.

Mew uses reflect and light screen, can use taunt, and then use expolosion. Mew has better bulk that's why I like mew more, and mew is unpredictable. Also, I don't like getting taunted on smeargle.

I don't like spore because of breloom and any grass types. They ruin the chain.

I'm giving credit to aim for the latias set. I saw his YouTube showcasing mega latias and I took that set from there.

One thing tho, haven't encountered dragon tail or circle throw yet so if I do I probably lost. Also, red card is a problem.

My biggest issue is crits omg they're the worst. Especially haze users and amoongus.

Also once XATU has stats from smeargle and screens up he hits a lot of things hard. I only use XATU when I see my opponent with 3 plus dark type mons.

Mega latias is my preferred sweeper but xatu is plan B
I didn't tell you that xatu don't hit hard..No-boosted xatu with this set do nothing. What do you do if your opponent have jirachi+dark type? xatu or latias?
Imo spore is better than taunt because you can stop some threat. I like BP and and I hope you have fun with this team.

Hmmm, interesting team. I'm with Denis in saying that mew is just too slow, it basically requires tailwind to be up to get anything done. The reason why Miracle Eye is bad is that your opponent can simply switch out each time you use it, so you're essentially giving anyone with a dark type a bunch of free turns to smack you around with the thing that has the best shot at beating you. The opponent in your replay obviously didn't know what miracle eye was, otherwise he would have abused this fact and would have done heavy damage to xatu (who is, in fact, inferior to espeon in every way except recovery, roost > morning sun). I'm honestly not sure how I feel about mega latias tbh, but I'm glad people are at least experimenting with it. Duggy imo isn't the worlds greatest trapper due to meh attack and few ways to screw over stallmons. Trick Scarf Goth works well with geopass as it allows you to permanently remove a troublesome mon like clear smog amoonguss or politoed. Hope all this helps.

Also, you spelled my name wrong :P

Hmmm, interesting team. I'm with Denis in saying that mew is just too slow, it basically requires tailwind to be up to get anything done. The reason why Miracle Eye is bad is that your opponent can simply switch out each time you use it, so you're essentially giving anyone with a dark type a bunch of free turns to smack you around with the thing that has the best shot at beating you. The opponent in your replay obviously didn't know what miracle eye was, otherwise he would have abused this fact and would have done heavy damage to xatu (who is, in fact, inferior to espeon in every way except recovery, roost > morning sun). I'm honestly not sure how I feel about mega latias tbh, but I'm glad people are at least experimenting with it. Duggy imo isn't the worlds greatest trapper due to meh attack and few ways to screw over stallmons. Trick Scarf Goth works well with geopass as it allows you to permanently remove a troublesome mon like clear smog amoonguss or politoed. Hope all this helps.

Also, you spelled my name wrong :P
Yeah, you guys are right. After extensive testing, new is simply outclassed by azelf.

Mew is just too slow and is actually counterproductive for the team. The opponent actually gains the momentum due to Mew's drag.

Miracle eye. Such a useless move I must say. Faced an opponent today with a mandibuzz and ttar. He kept switching back and fourth, endlessly. Miracle eye is easily exploitable.

As far as trappers, I think wobb is a good choice, especially the set you run. I do like Goth's trick niche though. So, it's hard to choose between the two.

Mega latias is truly amazing. Fantastic bulk and has access to stored power. I can probably run Hidden Power [Fighting] to deal with bisharp and ttar.

I'm clueless as to why Denis suggested surf? Maybe because of its base power? How will surf fair against mandibuzz or sableye?

I like HP fighting imo because it's 4x effective against ttar.

Lastly, I'll like to apologize. I'm sorry if you guys think I ripped off your team as it sorta mirror the two. I'm just in love with baton pass for the simple fact how fast you can sweep, making games less time consuming. Love the fact that you can OHKO all the time.

PS. Sorry for the butchering your name. I'm not good at linking names or hyper linking or whatever it's called. And, in not a good speller. XD

But, WebBrowser does sounds cool xD jk

I'd say that for geopass, goth > wobb. The reason is that encore wobb gives you a free swap into whatever you want and then exactly 1 free turn, no more, no less. For scolipass, 1 free turn is pretty much all that is needed, but geopass would rather have it's counter dead. Geopass already completely wrecks HO teams, so wobb's increased bulk isn't that important compared to goth's ability to completely neuter and then kill any stallmon.

Also, tagging people is super easy. Just add an "@" symbol to the front of the users name while typing it. Smogon will even give you a list of names that match the name you are trying to type.

It's as easy as this: "@"Argue -> Argue

I'd say that for geopass, goth > wobb. The reason is that encore wobb gives you a free swap into whatever you want and then exactly 1 free turn, no more, no less. For scolipass, 1 free turn is pretty much all that is needed, but geopass would rather have it's counter dead. Geopass already completely wrecks HO teams, so wobb's increased bulk isn't that important compared to goth's ability to completely neuter and then kill any stallmon.

Also, tagging people is super easy. Just add an "@" symbol to the front of the users name while typing it. Smogon will even give you a list of names that match the name you are trying to type.

It's as easy as this: "@"Argue -> Argue
Valid point. Goth is much more preferred on geopass due to tricking the counter and crippling it so I can proceed to set up and sweep.

Also, thanks for the tip. Didn't know it was that simple, thanks again.

Maybe we can all get together and discuss a new baton pass team? I'm no expert but I can give some ideas. :)

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
Mega latias with stored power and hp fighting is walled by sableye. I think surf can 2hko sableye and ttar.

Imo mega latias will be banned from OU
I sincerely doubt that. The general opinion is that M-Latias is a bulkier, itemless version of itself and very little more. It is certainly nowhere near the level of brokenness of soul dew lati@s.

Regardless, this really isn't the place to be discussing that, but I would'nt count on m-latias leaving any time soon (at the very least, we have megamence, greninja and megabro on the public radar).

Anyway, I've been thinking about BP teams that don't involve Scoli or Smeargle. I've briefly considered running the following mew set as my main BPer...

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Barrier
- Rock Polish
- Taunt

It has increased bulk over scoli, especially on the special end, it also is considerably less vulnerable to priority (doesn't die as easily to tflame), and it even has taunt, however it's considerably slower when boosting and doesn't gain any passive speed to keep pace with DDers. I'm not sure whether this is worth using or simply a poor man's scolipede though.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm locking it since this RMT is pointless. It won't be deleted because if people want to check it why not, but there won't be any valuable talk out of this thread so I rather limit the flood.
aim is probably proud to be mentioned in the OP though

Reactions: aim
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)