ORAS OU Mega Metagross in a powerful core

Hey everyone ! First of all I'd like to say that GrimoireGod is the one that inspired me to create this team, after I saw his Megagross+Greninja+Dragonite core, in this thread :
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-good-cores.3520901/page-3

So I'm giving him credit for basically half of the team (though I changed Greninja), but I just really wanted to share this one. :)

So here's the thing :

At first glance, it looks pretty weak to Greninja in general, but which team isn't, now ? In any case, Greninja is one of the reasons I chose Kyurem-B, but I'll explain that later.
And, not gonna lie, Mega Gallade is a threat.

So first off we have the Mega, Metagross.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Grass Knot
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Needless to say, this thing is strong as hell, especially if it gets an attack boost with Meteor Mash. Grass Knot is, as the original post for the core mentioned, for Slowbro, and it works pretty well. The rest is self-explanatory, Meteor Mash because STAB and it's powerful anyway. Ice Punch handles mons that are 4 times weak to it and is a nice coverage move even without that. And then EQ, obviously.
The lack of Bullet Punch isn't that bad, though if you really want to you can get rid of Grass Knot for it.
Mega-evolving early in the game is great because of the extra bulk and speed with no drawback, so it should be done as soon as possible, to avoid a situation where the opponent's mon will outspeed and kill your regular Gross.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dark Pulse

Next is Greninja. As always, powerful. No Gunk Shot on this one as the fact that it exists can scare away fairies. Obviously that's risky though, and it doesn't kill them (Megagross can do that), but I feel like all the other moves are needed. Hydro Pump and Ice Beam are obvious choices. HP Fire is important because it hits Ferrothorn who's basically on every team right now. Gets Scizor too, which sees usage these days, but of course, most are Choice Banded so Bullet Punch hits like a truck... Depending on your HPs or if you became an Ice-type the turn before, you can't risk Hidden Power Fire.
Finally Dark Pulse is nice for Slowbro and can 2 or 3HKO Rotom-W. It's the only Dark move on the team, so yeah. I guess it can be replaced with Gunk Shot if it's really needed.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Completing the core, we have Dragonite, who's still really good. I decided to pick Fire Punch instead of EQ as I didn't want Greninja to be the only thing capable of taking out Ferrothorn. It should be known though that an unboosted Fire Punch won't OHKO Ferro, so, gotta be careful. Outrage is crazy good after one DD, and Extreme Speed is awesome too. It's also the only priority move on the team so Dragonite should really be kept in the back to finish off the opponent with ESpeed/Outrage spam.
Once Fairies are gone, nothing can stop this monster. Well, almost nothing.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sylveon is really nice for the current meta and provides awesome cleric support for Metagross, Dragonite and Kyurem-B. Everything is kind of self-explanatory too imo. Hyper Voice deals a lot of damage even when Sylveon's not invested in Sp.Atk. It's also a good response to Mega Manectric who can otherwise have fun on this team, as none of its moves can deal significant damage to Sylv, and Hyper Voice does 58 to 69% to it.
Heal Bell really is one of its best moves, because some people try to wear it down with Toxic, but also because you're likely to get a burn on Metagross and/or Kyurem-B, which would really put you in a bad position. Protect is necessary in my opinion, because with it and these EVs, you can even wall some physical attackers, and take the Lati's Psyshocks fairly well. Really, this thing rarely dies and gives great support to the team, but what's good is that, unlike Chansey, it hits hard too.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

Nice and Chesnaught's demise. Stealth Rock and Defog/Spin support were much needed with Dragonite and Kyurem-B so there you go, Skarmory. It's great with Sylveon as, together, they can wall a lot of things. Obviously the now common Magnezone is a problem to both, so Shed Shell is better than Leftovers in my opinion. I chose Brave Bird over Whirlwind to avoid being useless if Taunted and to hit Chesnaught or Breloom, but both are decent I guess.
I love Skarmory because it walls threats such as Mega Beedrill, Mega Salamence without Fire Blast, and many others which would give me a lot of trouble otherwise. Unfortunately Skarmory suffers from the 4 moveslots syndrome. I would love to run Toxic too but I can't see myself getting rid of anything. Stealth Rock is important because it wears down these popular Volt-Turn cores that are almost harmless with both Sylveon and Skarmory, and it really helps the rest of the team when it comes to killing stuff, as it breaks potential Focus Sashs, and puts some mons in KO range of my attacks.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

Finally we have Kyurem-B. This thing hits hard, but can also take a hit from Greninja and kill it in return. Of course that's a one-time thing, so.
The choice scarf + EVs allow it to outspeed Mega Sceptile and Scarf Landorus-T and OHKO them with Ice Beam which is great.
Decided to run Earth Power over something else like Outrage (which is already on D-nite) and Iron Head because it can kill a Scarf Magnezone if they decide to stay in thinking they will outspeed and KO with Flash Cannon. Sadly it doesn't OHKO a specially defensive Heatran but still deals around 80%, so. Iron Head wouldn't be worth it because it's basically only good against Fairies who can, for the most part, tank these and OHKO Kyurem-B in return. You could still run it to punish switches, but honestly it's not strong enough.
In any case, I feel like it really completes the team, with its speed which can often surprise the opponent.
Yep, I just love it.

There you go. Tell me what you think of it. c:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)